Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

these are the shift lights you wanna follow :twisted:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ClassicZigzagHeifer-mobile.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Fellatio del Toro posted:

do you mean the flashing shift lights or the green number?

the green number tells you the most fuel efficient gear for your speed, not necessarily what gear you want when accelerating

it definitely made me realize I had not been driving manuals very efficiently for most of my life lol

People seem to hate the "nagging" but I've found it interesting to know the absolute highest gear you can go into at the moment, because I would never ever go that high normally.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
The indicators felt a bit early to me as well, but I wouldn't have thought that it could damage the engine. Good to know that I should be following my ear when shifting and not pay attention to what the car says about the most fuel efficient way. In sport mode they don't even show it.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

yeah i'm not shifting into 6th at 35mph. i think ford wants me to LSPI or something

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah my GTI always wants me to go from 4th to 6th once I hit around 45-50mph. I never do because it somehow feels wrong to be in top gear when you're not cruising at 85 on the highway. I'd rather stay in 3rd most of the time.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
To be fair, even if I change gears when it tells me to, the next one will still be at around 1500 RPM or so, so it's not a completely insane suggestion. Is not like it puts me at 750 or something. But shifting later than what it says it's probably better.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Not sure what the clutch is like in the Veloster but I know that pulling hard in 6th in some cars is a recipe for clutch slip over time.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i let the fine engineering of the volkswagen DSG transmission do the work

unless i need to pass someone on the highway.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah that's part of the reason I went with the DSG this time as well, the other part being that I'm lazy

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Volguus posted:

Some ... bad things:

- The attention. Jesus. I guess I should have imagined, but yeah, that's uncomfortable. People just loving stare.

Why because of the loud exhaust? Because it's not exactly an attention getter style wise :v:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Why because of the loud exhaust? Because it's not exactly an attention getter style wise :v:

Listen here, you little ... :cheeky:

Volguus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 6, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tbh I don't see why it would be getting so much attention to the point of it being a negative issue with the car. It's a Hyundai lol

Do you live out in the middle of nowhere where people still ride on horse carts or something?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Tbh I don't see why it would be getting so much attention to the point of it being a negative issue with the car. It's a Hyundai lol

Do you live out in the middle of nowhere where people still ride on horse carts or something?

Well, it's true it's not a Type R or an STI. Maybe it's just me imagining things and people just were looking for birds or something. I felt uncomfortable going down the street and seeing people turning, that's for sure, though I'm getting over it. Maybe, years from now I could buy an Type R (or whatever crazy stuff will be then) and not be bothered. My 3rd day with the car now and I stopped noticing them that much. I've owned very plain cars all my life, this is the first "flashy" one, but as you say, it's not even that flashy. I'm just not used to this, that's all.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm just half busting your balls and being curious dude :v:

Enjoy your new car it's pretty sweet!

[e]

Volguus posted:

Maybe it's just me imagining things and people just were looking for birds or something.

I laughed at that pretty hard, good one lol

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 6, 2021

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

tbf I did get a lot of car people coming up to me when I got mine

I was worried when I first got it that people would think the auto rev matching was me trying to rev my engine at them or something. one day I'm driving home and this truck stops in the middle of the road and sticks his hand out the window frantically waving me to go past. I think maybe I was following too close or the rev matching made him think I was trying get around him and he was pissed. he then follows me back to my apartment and parks right behind me blocking my car in

turns out it was the first veloster n he had seen and he just wanted to check it out but uhhhhh

also recently had a guy pull up and suddenly stop and block me in at my work parking lot. he gets out and yells "I've been looking for you for like a year!" I'm just looking at him confused I have no idea who this guy is

"do you ever take it to the track?"

oh

mostly though I get older women telling me they like the blue

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Deviant posted:

i let the fine engineering of the volkswagen DSG transmission do the work

unless i need to pass someone on the highway.

My 7 speed dry-clutch DSG is a loving moron that I never let do any work. I heard a whole raft of horror stories before I bought the car about people needing new clutch packs after 30,000 km, shuddering, slipping etc. Pretty sure I know why after owning one.

VW engineers have munted the programming of 'D' mode in order to make the fuel consumption number seem better. The microsecond you begin rolling it will shift up from 1st to 2nd and it will NEVER shift back down to first until you come to a complete stop, meaning that in slow city traffic it will sit there trying to slip the clutches constantly in 2nd and pretending to be an automatic by constantly creeping. If you were used to autos and didn't know any better I could see how driving in heavy traffic would absolutely cook the clutches in no time. Also as with all these other cars it will shift extremely early and push you to drive at heavy throttle barely above idle, it shifts a gear basically every 10 kph until you're in 7th gear doing 70 kph (~44 mph).

So yeah I haven't driven it in 'D' mode for at least 8 years, always put it in M and shift with the paddles, gearbox has 101,000 km on it now and still hasn't needed anything done to it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fellatio del Toro posted:

mostly though I get older women telling me they like the blue

The blue always catches my eye regardless of anything else. It's a unique and pretty color!

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Blackhawk posted:

My 7 speed dry-clutch DSG is a loving moron that I never let do any work. I heard a whole raft of horror stories before I bought the car about people needing new clutch packs after 30,000 km, shuddering, slipping etc. Pretty sure I know why after owning one.

VW engineers have munted the programming of 'D' mode in order to make the fuel consumption number seem better. The microsecond you begin rolling it will shift up from 1st to 2nd and it will NEVER shift back down to first until you come to a complete stop, meaning that in slow city traffic it will sit there trying to slip the clutches constantly in 2nd and pretending to be an automatic by constantly creeping. If you were used to autos and didn't know any better I could see how driving in heavy traffic would absolutely cook the clutches in no time. Also as with all these other cars it will shift extremely early and push you to drive at heavy throttle barely above idle, it shifts a gear basically every 10 kph until you're in 7th gear doing 70 kph (~44 mph).
I think my GTI literally starts in second gear in D, but not sure, I just use S or manual most of the time because D just lugs the engine and you can't get a downshift to save your life.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The Veloster N always catches my eye (especially the blue ones). It’s one of those cars that doesn’t stick out at all… unless you know what it is, then it really sticks out. My favorite kind of car.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Volguus posted:

To be fair, even if I change gears when it tells me to, the next one will still be at around 1500 RPM or so, so it's not a completely insane suggestion. Is not like it puts me at 750 or something. But shifting later than what it says it's probably better.

To be clear, the earlier posts about not trying to pull in high gears relate to the possibility of destroying your motor. I’m not familiar with the engine in your car but if it’s direct injected then low speed pre-ignition could be a risk, and trying to pull in a high gear would be a great way to induce it.

Many an EcoBoost motor has destroyed its piston ring lands due to low rpm + high load.

I imagine manufacturers have learned and tweaked management strategies and piston designs, and oil companies have been working to formulate LSPI-resistant oils, but it doesn’t hurt to play it safe. The rule I go with in my FiST is I never put my boot in more than a little bit unless I’m at at least 2000RPM, but typically 2500 to be safe.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Here4DaGangBang posted:

To be clear, the earlier posts about not trying to pull in high gears relate to the possibility of destroying your motor. I’m not familiar with the engine in your car but if it’s direct injected then low speed pre-ignition could be a risk, and trying to pull in a high gear would be a great way to induce it.

Many an EcoBoost motor has destroyed its piston ring lands due to low rpm + high load.

I imagine manufacturers have learned and tweaked management strategies and piston designs, and oil companies have been working to formulate LSPI-resistant oils, but it doesn’t hurt to play it safe. The rule I go with in my FiST is I never put my boot in more than a little bit unless I’m at at least 2000RPM, but typically 2500 to be safe.

Oh, interesting. I wasn't aware of this, thanks for the info. The cars I drove before just simply couldn't pull in high gears, whatever high was for them, 4th or 5th. I was quite amazed to see this one could. Being my first 6 speed car (first one was a 4 speed, 90hp - i think, 20 years old back in 1998, that occasionally had its carburetor "jammed" and had to pull out some little thingy from there that I had to blow into it, put it back and then start) and high power one to boot, I just assumed poo poo is just that good now.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

The Veloster N always catches my eye (especially the blue ones). It’s one of those cars that doesn’t stick out at all… unless you know what it is, then it really sticks out. My favorite kind of car.

I wasn't that much in love with the blue, neither was my family. Red, was too red. Matte black, not shiny. Grey ... we had grey/silver cars, time to change. Black, the black parts on the body just mesh in, it becomes a 1 color car. White, has the red lines stand out, black parts as well, white is pretty much never out of style. The only problem is that mud and dust now shows quite well. Gonna have to get the mud flaps, and only the Hyundai ones do it justice with the N logo.

The only car color I truly like is the Mazda red. That red (came out in 2019 I think) is just gorgeous.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Volguus posted:

Oh, interesting. I wasn't aware of this, thanks for the info. The cars I drove before just simply couldn't pull in high gears, whatever high was for them, 4th or 5th. I was quite amazed to see this one could. Being my first 6 speed car (first one was a 4 speed, 90hp - i think, 20 years old back in 1998, that occasionally had its carburetor "jammed" and had to pull out some little thingy from there that I had to blow into it, put it back and then start) and high power one to boot, I just assumed poo poo is just that good now.

I know some manufacturers have gone to mixed direct and port injection since the first wave of pure direct injection petrol motors came, I don’t know what setup your motor runs, but I’m assuming they’ve done this to combat the particulate issues with direct injection and possibly to mitigate LSPI too. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The general issue is I guess motors with small turbos which spool really readily at low rpm, meaning you can be chugging along in 6th gear at really low RPM, and then put your foot down. The load on the motor is really high in that scenario but the turbos respond so well that they’re cramming boost in regardless, so you end up with a motor which is trying to accelerate rapidly but simply cannot because physics. There are complicating factors like oil formulation too as I mentioned which can make it more or less likely due to oil mists in the cylinder and stuff like that too apparently.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Saw a Type R and a Veloster N at my hockey rink parking lot last night. What a great day.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

prom candy posted:

Saw a Type R and a Veloster N at my hockey rink parking lot last night. What a great day.

I hope you’re gonna get tested

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Late Fees posted:

yeah i'm not shifting into 6th at 35mph. i think ford wants me to LSPI or something

I feel like it's fine if you're somehow in a situation where you're going 35 and are also not going to try and accelerate past 35 or drop under 35 for a while and also not go up any hills and are also surrounded by an infinite featureless white void

I wonder if it's a EPA-estimated fuel economy rating gaming thing or if that's really when they think you should shift

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ok Comboomer posted:

I hope you’re gonna get tested

it was just a Type R and a Veloster N, no STIs

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

is there any first hand info on the refreshed / 2021 i30 n yet? I still have a mk5 gti and its starting to fall apart and I have been eyeing the first gen i30n since it came out.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 11, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well ignore my previous posts here, I can't make a Stinger work mentally. I just can not spend $40K on a car. So I'm again, back to FiSTs. My wife is getting tired of me being mopey over cars so she wants to get me into something asap just to shut me up. I want to be a cheapass if possible.

Thoughts on this one?
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/3FADP4GX3EM127584

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Rhyno posted:

Well ignore my previous posts here, I can't make a Stinger work mentally. I just can not spend $40K on a car. So I'm again, back to FiSTs. My wife is getting tired of me being mopey over cars so she wants to get me into something asap just to shut me up. I want to be a cheapass if possible.

Thoughts on this one?
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/3FADP4GX3EM127584
Doesn't it matter more that you straight up just said you didn't really care for the car?

New clutch at 28k, that seems premature. lovely first owner?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't say I didn't like FiSTs, I've been enamored with them for a long time. I'm trying to be financially responsible and a $40K car just ain't that.

I missed the bit about the clutch. Yeah, beat on. Not a lot of options within driving distance, checking the "no accidents" box removed like 20 of them.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I meant the stinger. You drove one and it didn't wow you enough for the price.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

2016 and above FiSTs get Sync3, which is honestly pretty great in my experience. You could also keep an eye out for FoSTs in your price range.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cage posted:

I meant the stinger. You drove one and it didn't wow you enough for the price.

I think it was mostly how much it was that killed it for me. The new car has been on and off the table so many times I didn't seriously think it would happen. But now that it can actually happen everything in my head adds up differently.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

2016 and above FiSTs get Sync3, which is honestly pretty great in my experience. You could also keep an eye out for FoSTs in your price range.

The best color FiST was the blue offered up to '15 so for that color I'd sacrifice the options. But I want the Recaros if possible. Not too big on the FoST though.

Edit: $14K isn't the budget, i'm still money panicking a bit. Anything $20K and under is legit. We're gonna sell the F-150 to Carvana or whomever gives us the best price.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 12, 2021

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Rhyno posted:

I think it was mostly how much it was that killed it for me. The new car has been on and off the table so many times I didn't seriously think it would happen. But now that it can actually happen everything in my head adds up differently.

The best color FiST was the blue offered up to '15 so for that color I'd sacrifice the options. But I want the Recaros if possible. Not too big on the FoST though.

The Focus had the best integrated gas door though. Think of the gas door!

I also wish I could get that blue. I might shop around to see if I can get my FiST wrapped.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Anybody know production/import status on the new Mazda3 Turbo hatch?

I live between Atlanta and Charlotte, cargurus says there are only 23 within 500 miles. Only 6 within 200 miles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The Focus had the best integrated gas door though. Think of the gas door!

I also wish I could get that blue. I might shop around to see if I can get my FiST wrapped.

It's the best Ford blue ever. It looks so good in person.

This is a very viable option EDIT this has a MOUNTUNE badge on it but no details. very curious.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

Edit: three years older, same price, no Recaros but the COLOR

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 12, 2021

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

It's the best Ford blue ever. It looks so good in person.

This is a very viable option

Edit: three years older, same price, no Recaros but the COLOR

You're sure you want the Recaro seats? Not a great fit for some people- would try sitting in them. Nothing wrong with the default seats

However the option is one of the cooler things in the FiST/FoST and they're great if your body tolerates them

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've driven a FIST with them and I loved them. The cloth seats are not bad but I'd prefer the recaros.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Styles Bitchley posted:

Anybody know production/import status on the new Mazda3 Turbo hatch?

I live between Atlanta and Charlotte, cargurus says there are only 23 within 500 miles. Only 6 within 200 miles.

There's kind of dick all anywhere from what I've seen. We've been trying to get a Q5 lined up (don't judge me) for like a year now with no luck. Heck the dealerships aren't even honoring corporate partnerships because they can't get anything either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Don't get down about it man, I was in the exact same situation. After my accident, when I got my settlement I could have easily afforded to pay cash for a new car, almost anything I wanted within reason. my wife even gave me the green light, get whatever you want. But I immediately set a budget because I wanted to save most of the money for house projects and other poo poo, so I figured mid to high 20's was my cutoff point, I should have EASILY found a nice new car for that much right?

Well the problem was NONE of the cars I drove felt worth it to me. Sure they were nice, but mostly because they were brand new, once the newness wears off would this car be worth it? And the answer kept coming up no, not really. After all the cars I drove it came down to a Civic Sport MT, and for the price (like 24k I think) it just didn't feel all that much better than my Scion that just got totaled. So I just got another used Scion and saved even more money and I'm happy with the car.

That being said I'm keeping a close eye on the Ford Maverick coming out, if I really like it I might get one, and it will still be in my initial new car budget.