Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Femtosecond posted:

I was kinda expecting the election call today because you'd have a day of the whole "going to the GG" bullshit, then a weekend of not much happening, then full blast Monday.

Maybe though you want to start off the campaign on Monday like a rocket ship with the GG stuff super early morning, then pivoting right into some big rally announcement in the afternoon. I dunno.

I'm expecting a call late Monday afternoon. The feds are on a funding promise Blitz today and early Monday and they'll have to get that all squared away before the writ drops. A million promises to renege on if they win their majority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
My sources are saying Monday too

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On another topic Kenney has spent the last forty minutes doing his best to upstage Shandro's temper tantrum yesterday. For a news update about drought conditions in Alberta he sure is talking a lot about how Alberta is treated like second class citizens compared to the bourgeoisie in Quebec.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1423707979149234176?s=20

Lets hope BC actually does something this time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Like what? Catch fire again?

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

infernal machines posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

And thus the problem was solved forever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And now there's an outbreak in Central Okanagan and they're blaming young people.

Well done BC, I hope Bonnie Henry is enjoying that award they flinged at her.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

infernal machines posted:

Lytton isn't much of a town, I'm sure we can do better in an encore.

Arcsquad12 posted:

And now there's an outbreak in Central Okanagan and they're blaming young people.

Well done BC, I hope Bonnie Henry is enjoying that award they flinged at her.

Central Vancouver Island roads and shops are packed. I'm going back to staying home and doing once a week trips to Costco and Home Depot. And maybe the weed shop. Fortunately my needs are simple.

gently caress everything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bonnie Henry keeps trying to deflect criticisms with her nervous giggle and it's fooling nobody. A reporter just asked
"Is 400 cases a day and rising your definition of a slow and steady approach to stage 4? How can anyone trust what you say anymore?"

BC government just keeps denying every criticism, deflecting and obfuscating before finding them darn kids to be the scapegoats for every loving misstep they take.

Younger unvaccinated people are still waiting for their first or second shots because they were last in line for doses you loving craven assholes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just don't get what the NDP's angle is, like why be pointlessly evil about covid? Why purposefully cause deaths? Is bonnie just still that upset she was proven wrong that just washing your hands isn't enough to defeat covid and that yes, it is airborn and yes masks work?

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Baronjutter posted:

I just don't get what the NDP's angle is, like why be pointlessly evil about covid? Why purposefully cause deaths? Is bonnie just still that upset she was proven wrong that just washing your hands isn't enough to defeat covid and that yes, it is airborn and yes masks work?

Every flavour of neoliberal hegemon in North America be they Democrat, Republican, Liberal, Conservative or New Democrat has approached the pandemic in precisely the same manner, viewing it as a balancing act between the economy and public health. Now plainly none of them achieved what they wanted because that's a fundamentally brain broken way to approach a public health crisis, but there's enough of an illusion of difference that most of their traditional voting blocks think we weren't all trying the same abysmal approach long after other countries provided superior models.

Having failed fundamentally, the next policy non-distinction will be learning to live with chronic Covid.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DynamicSloth posted:

Every flavour of neoliberal hegemon in North America be they Democrat, Republican, Liberal, Conservative or New Democrat has approached the pandemic in precisely the same manner, viewing it as a balancing act between the economy and public health. Now plainly none of them achieved what they wanted because that's a fundamentally brain broken way to approach a public health crisis, but there's enough of an illusion of difference that most of their traditional voting blocks think we weren't all trying the same abysmal approach long after other countries provided superior models.

Having failed fundamentally, the next policy non-distinction will be learning to live with chronic Covid.

Nova Scotia exists, actually.

Don't get all nihilistic because none of the governments really did a perfect job; instead, recognize that there were and are massive differences between how it was approached, with some working very well, and others being complete poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

Nova Scotia exists, actually.

I have my doubts.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

DynamicSloth posted:

To a greater or lesser extent, every state and provincial government in North America has realized they are in a prisoner's dilemma. Since the US is the way it is, pursuing a Covid zero strategy is a futile effort. The policy goal was obviously; 1) Keeping the lights on and avoiding the need to bulldoze mass graves in metro areas; 2) wait until vaccines got to a certain % of the pop and just deal with it from there.

Whatever BC did or didn't do, it wasn't going to change what happened next door or anywhere to the south of us.

The blaming of youth on not getting vaccinated is dumb and annoying, but my 17 has already had two shots so the 20 year olds being the end of the line is probably not much of an excuse anymore. (Kelowna's actual problem is that it is filled with old people and is basically a suburb of Calgary.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Crow Buddy posted:

The blaming of youth on not getting vaccinated is dumb and annoying, but my 17 has already had two shots so the 20 year olds being the end of the line is probably not much of an excuse anymore. (Kelowna's actual problem is that it is filled with old people and is basically a suburb of Calgary.)

Alberta opened the floodgates to everyone 12+ even earlier, and 20-29 are the least vaccinated group still. So, as much as I agree with other people that that age group has been blamed unfairly for some things, I also agree with you that they've been blamed entirely fairly for other things. Like being dumb as loving dirt on aggregate. Dumber than teenagers!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And also the ones most likely to work low income part time work where missing a shift can kill your rent payments

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

e: I cannot read.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Crow Buddy posted:

To a greater or lesser extent, every state and provincial government in North America has realized they are in a prisoner's dilemma. Since the US is the way it is, pursuing a Covid zero strategy is a futile effort.

It was a futile effort because our elites quickly calculated they'd make more money not pursuing a covid zero strategy, not because it couldn't be done, in this they were of course correct. It would be a lot easier to swallow this nonsense about us doing all we could if so many people hadn't gotten rich off of Covid.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
None of the school boards here have posted their reopening plans and if they are going to require masks for under 12 year old kids, Kenney / Hinshaw have basically given up and said everyone gets a dose of covid, and vaccination rates have effectively plateaued, while reported cases in Alberta are 6 times what they were at this point last year, despite a year of people supposedly wearing masks, following rules, and getting shots.

Meanwhile we have two kids who are both actively asking to go to school and actually make friends instead of only seeing immediate family members, with the younger one being so unused to people that he'll hide behind trees when people come to pass him on the sidewalk - and they might both be stuck doing the homeschool thing again this year if we don't want to almost guarantee them a dose of delta variant.

The entire situation feels impossible to choose between as parents. I recognize that we're lucky to even be in a situation where we can make that choice, but this shouldn't be a tough decision to make at this point..

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Birudojin posted:

None of the school boards here have posted their reopening plans and if they are going to require masks for under 12 year old kids, Kenney / Hinshaw have basically given up and said everyone gets a dose of covid, and vaccination rates have effectively plateaued, while reported cases in Alberta are 6 times what they were at this point last year, despite a year of people supposedly wearing masks, following rules, and getting shots.

Meanwhile we have two kids who are both actively asking to go to school and actually make friends instead of only seeing immediate family members, with the younger one being so unused to people that he'll hide behind trees when people come to pass him on the sidewalk - and they might both be stuck doing the homeschool thing again this year if we don't want to almost guarantee them a dose of delta variant.

The entire situation feels impossible to choose between as parents. I recognize that we're lucky to even be in a situation where we can make that choice, but this shouldn't be a tough decision to make at this point..

Same same for BC.

https://twitter.com/MerlinofCanada/status/1423843966374473728?s=20

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

apatheticman posted:

Lets hope BC actually does something this time.

we used our super power "summon one day of rain" at exactly the right time

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Not sure I understand what they mean by 'never told you these figures', daily case counts, active cases, and cumulative cases have been available for quite some time

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

JawKnee posted:

Not sure I understand what they mean by 'never told you these figures', daily case counts, active cases, and cumulative cases have been available for quite some time

I think they mean the comparison but I was sharing for the graph not the commentary. That being said, it's pretty wild the way BC PH is acting like everything is going to be fine, and this surge will stay in the interior when cases are going-up across the province and BC has the highest Rt in Canada.

https://twitter.com/DFisman/status/1423970095005634562?s=20
https://twitter.com/vb_jens/status/1424046307635761159?s=20

Edited to add:
It's not like we are making it easy for people to get tested either:
https://twitter.com/Heyheydownthes1/status/1423741209751834630?s=20

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 7, 2021

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!
I can't believe we are diving headfirst into reopening schools and universities next month. What on earth are they thinking???

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Doctor posted:

I can't believe we are diving headfirst into reopening schools and universities next month. What on earth are they thinking???

I don't know the reason, but considering the usual pablum of the political majority in this country, I'm going to assume it's something around the lines of "but, China, you see,"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Doctor posted:

Die for Bay St

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I had hoped that masking + vaccines would be enough to get the R below 1, but that does not seem to be the case.

Given that it's not the case and that there is no plausible path to COVID zero over any timescale, I'm wondering what really is the point of not opening up?

Like, we can stay closed, cool. For how long? Forever? Are we just not going to bother educating children anymore? Online school does not work for all kids. Some kids will just turn on YouTube and watch that in another tab instead of doing their work. And who is going to stop them? Parents are working - they can't spend all day policing their children and keep their jobs.

No, obviously staying closed without a plan for how to change the situation is pointless and destructive. Staying closed only makes sense as long as there is a plan for reducing the R so that we can open. What is that plan? What steps can we take to reduce the R beyond vaccines and masks?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Jimbozig posted:

Online school does not work for all kids. Some kids will just turn on YouTube and watch that in another tab instead of doing their work.

Surely forcing these children into an overcrowded classroom during a pandemic will, somehow, magically, solve the problem with their attention span.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Guaranteed sick time for workers, a safe school reopening plan, and a plan to vaccinate children under 12 would go a long way to controlling further outbreaks. Unfortunately all of these things have been indefinitely deferred with the expectation that the pandemic would just disappear eventually

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jimbozig posted:

I had hoped that masking + vaccines would be enough to get the R below 1, but that does not seem to be the case.

Given that it's not the case and that there is no plausible path to COVID zero over any timescale, I'm wondering what really is the point of not opening up?
Why doesn't it seem to be the case? Masking and "masking" are not the same. A lot of places are not actually enforcing masking. Masking + vaccines seemed to be working until those in charge decided masking wasn't necessary anymore. Also there are different types of masks, yet we have not made good ones widely available. Properly sealing masks are still in low supply while there are now plenty of N95 type "not for medical use" masks that seem to be purposely flawed. The original supply chain issues were the fabric not the seals, so why can't I buy the good N95 masks? Not that it matters on a population level, since most people are still wearing the lovely surgical masks or even shittier cloth masks, if they're wearing them at all.

Second, there are other things we can do that enable opening up, but they require money (which governments refuse to spend) and time (which we keep wasting).

For schools, for example: Masking, testing, cleaning, proper ventilation, proper distancing, organizational changes that limit classroom changes and hallway exposure, there are a lot of things that could be done. They require accepting that this is a long term issue that warrants long term infrastructure investments, which no one seems willing to do.

Jimbozig posted:

No, obviously staying closed without a plan for how to change the situation is pointless and destructive. Staying closed only makes sense as long as there is a plan for reducing the R so that we can open. What is that plan? What steps can we take to reduce the R beyond vaccines and masks?
The problem is precisely this. The question isn't "how do we reduce R so we can open," even though that's the primary question public health officials are asking. The question should be, once we open, what measures can we take to keep transmission down. But opening up, despite being pushed as an economic argument, is sold with an additional "and removing all restrictions" that is not necessary for opening up and frankly not conducive to helping out the economy when half your population is no more fearful of going into a small shop when they have no confidence that the people in it are masked, or even that they haven't tested positive for covid and knowingly infectious. It's so frustrating to me that garbage like this: Deena Hinshaw says it’s time for Albertans to adjust to living with COVID-19 means "accept that you and those around you will get sick" rather than "accept that you'll need to wear a mask and limit contacts and that the government will need to spend more money to keep you safe."

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Tippecanoe posted:

Guaranteed sick time for workers, a safe school reopening plan, and a plan to vaccinate children under 12 would go a long way to controlling further outbreaks. Unfortunately all of these things have been indefinitely deferred with the expectation that the pandemic would just disappear eventually

Sick time for workers is absolutely necessary, but it's not going to significantly curb covid cases. People are most contagious before they're symptomatic. You would need to convince people to take time off before they have symptoms, e.g. because they came into contact with someone who tested positive. That would basically require changing our whole work culture, and it still might not make that much of a difference.

I'd like to see vaccine passports personally, that seems to have worked really well in France. I think everyone's idea of a vaccine-hesitant person is a screeching antimasker, but there are lots of quiet, completely self-interested people that don't feel the need to broadcast their intentions. They're basically free-riders; they want others to be vaccinated so their chances of getting sick are low, but they also don't want to accept the cost of taking the vaccine, whether it's what they perceive as a small risk, or the time to go get vaccinated, or the possibility of side effects.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Starks posted:

I'd like to see vaccine passports personally, that seems to have worked really well in France. I think everyone's idea of a vaccine-hesitant person is a screeching antimasker, but there are lots of quiet, completely self-interested people that don't feel the need to broadcast their intentions. They're basically free-riders; they want others to be vaccinated so their chances of getting sick are low, but they also don't want to accept the cost of taking the vaccine, whether it's what they perceive as a small risk, or the time to go get vaccinated, or the possibility of side effects.

Yeah agreed. And if there's one thing France has shown it's that a lot of those "hesitant" people absolutely are not so dead set in their beliefs that they're willing to give up bars and restaurants to stick with them.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Bleck posted:

Surely forcing these children into an overcrowded classroom during a pandemic will, somehow, magically, solve the problem with their attention span.
Teachers are very experienced with dealing with kids with ADHD and other issues. Kids like that do actually receive education in schools. But it is important for teachers to be able to see when students are distracted so that they can bring them back to the topic.

Tippecanoe posted:

Paid sick time is something the government could do essentially overnight. It could be done now as we re-open just as easily as it could be done while closed.

Vax approval for under 12s is super important. Do we have a good timeline for when that is possible? It seemed like we went from 18 down to 12 pretty quickly - my 13 year old neighbor got her vax not long after I did, and I got mine as soon as possible. I'm open to the idea of staying closed until that approval is ready if there is a reasonably fast timeline for it.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

But opening up, despite being pushed as an economic argument, is sold with an additional "and removing all restrictions" that is not necessary for opening up and frankly not conducive to helping out the economy when half your population is no more fearful of going into a small shop when they have no confidence that the people in it are masked, or even that they haven't tested positive for covid and knowingly infectious. It's so frustrating to me that garbage like this: Deena Hinshaw says it’s time for Albertans to adjust to living with COVID-19 means "accept that you and those around you will get sick" rather than "accept that you'll need to wear a mask and limit contacts and that the government will need to spend more money to keep you safe."
Yeah, absolutely this. Living with COVID means continuing to take precautions. I'm ok masking for as long as necessary. Forever, even. And I actually prefer working from home. Opening and removing restrictions is so dumb.

What's also so dumb if the restrictions that make life worse without making things safer. You can go to baseball games again! But the stadium can only have 15000 instead of 50000 fans. So they can spread people out, right? Lol nope, they just cram all 15000 in the lower levels because they want to sell expensive tickets, not cheap ones. What the gently caress is the point of having a "restriction" that still packs 15000 people shoulder to shoulder while they all take off their masks to shout and drink beer? Stupid restrictions like that just make people more skeptical about restrictions in general.

We should open up what we can while doing the things we need to do to keep R down.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Jimbozig posted:

Teachers are very experienced with dealing with kids with ADHD

Gosh, things sure have changed from when I was a kid.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Bleck posted:

Gosh, things sure have changed from when I was a kid.

I mean, they have changed. Yeah, some teachers will still suck at it. But some won't. And even the ones who are less good will hopefully be better than them just watching YouTubers react to other worthless YouTube videos.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Jimbozig posted:

Vax approval for under 12s is super important. Do we have a good timeline for when that is possible? It seemed like we went from 18 down to 12 pretty quickly - my 13 year old neighbor got her vax not long after I did, and I got mine as soon as possible. I'm open to the idea of staying closed until that approval is ready if there is a reasonably fast timeline for it.
I've heard that Pfizer should be ready to submit their data for the 5-12 study in September, so likely by October (approval for 12-18 happened really loving fast and this should be similar).

Both my kids are in that age group. When they're fully protected I *might* feel comfortable eating in a restaurant or going to a movie again.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The Globe has an interview up with Jody Wilson-Raybould that's well worth a read.

This snippit here could have some impact on the upcoming election...

quote:

In the SNC-Lavalin affair, the Ethics Commissioner found that Mr. Trudeau sought to improperly influence your decision. Your former cabinet colleague Jane Philpott once said the Prime Minister should have apologized, and moved on. Was that possible?

I think I had said this publicly, and I said this privately to the Prime Minister: I believe when something goes wrong, that you do apologize for it and you work to fix it. I mean, it depends on what the Prime Minister knew or didn’t know, what he was involved with, or wasn’t involved with.

What do you think now? Could it have been fixed? You had talks about staying.

I think the Prime Minister should have told the truth to Canadians.

Did he, in the end?

Well, I don’t know. I don’t think so. My view is very different from his. He did change his lines over and over again at the very beginning. But I mean, the Ethics Commissioner confirmed all of what I said in my testimony before the justice committee. The Prime Minister was in a conflict of interest for inappropriately pressuring me.

I think the Prime Minister and the Prime Minister’s Office have their own interpretations of what they feel transpired. One of them you’ve already mentioned is how there was a breakdown of trust between Gerry and I. I don’t ascribe to that rationale. I certainly don’t think that people – as they say – experience things differently. There is no way to experience pressuring the independent attorney-general to do something that’s against the law – there’s no way to experience that differently in my view.

You have a book, entitled “Indian” in the Cabinet, coming out soon. Have you written about those things in the book?

Yeah, I have. It’s coming out in September. I’ve written about my six years as an MP, certainly as a cabinet minister in the government.

And is it going to be explosive, in your view?

[Laughs] I don’t know about explosive but I imagine it will raise some eyebrows. As the title implies, it’s telling the truth about my experience and what I learned from my experience and provides some pathways forward based on that experience and how we can improve our democracy from an insider’s perspective. So I hope it’s interesting for people.

If the election is called on Monday, the minimum 36 campaign period would set the election date at a minimum of September 14. The release date of JWR's book, "Indian" in the Cabinet: Speaking Truth to Power, is September 14.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Albino Squirrel posted:

I've heard that Pfizer should be ready to submit their data for the 5-12 study in September, so likely by October (approval for 12-18 happened really loving fast and this should be similar).

Both my kids are in that age group. When they're fully protected I *might* feel comfortable eating in a restaurant or going to a movie again.

Yeah same. I'm hoping dor first shots sometime around :canada: Thanksgiving weekend but I know that's optimistic. Halloween please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/EdTubb/status/1424375785742348290