Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Justin Herbert has broken a fair number of dolphins fans' brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1423761299209654276

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chucktesla posted:

My brain is perfectly intact which is why I’m excited to see Tua lead the Dolphins to a Super Bowl victory this year.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Chucktesla posted:

I don't know that there's a whole lot of talk about it, it's mostly Chargers fans hanging around and asking "you triggered yet" in increasingly inartful trollings.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/1423757724643434504

lol I didn't read this I thought it was a playing role and I was pretty excited for the Lions, they're just trying to get him to do PR for them after taking a bonus back he's sore over.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
It's very much "we will give you back your money if you do PR for us" and I think I'm still on Calvin's side on this. The problem is that due to salary cap rules the Lions just can't straight up drop the money back into his pocket, so they really shouldn't have taken it in the first place

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Hamhandler posted:

I don't know that there's a whole lot of talk about it, it's mostly Chargers fans hanging around and asking "you triggered yet" in increasingly inartful trollings.

If you pay attention to Chargers Twitter. It's dolphins fans hanging around going "how many wins tho" and "poverty franchise"

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Look, I've hosed around with plenty of gorgeous women. But there comes a point in a man's life when he has to trade in the sports car for a sensible sedan with comfortable shoes.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

It's very much "we will give you back your money if you do PR for us" and I think I'm still on Calvin's side on this. The problem is that due to salary cap rules the Lions just can't straight up drop the money back into his pocket, so they really shouldn't have taken it in the first place

He's retired. Why would the salary cap apply anymore?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Just hire him as a Client Relations Ambassador and pay him back his bonus over 5 years or whatever like every other team. It doesn’t go against the cap.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

sweet thursday posted:

Look, I've hosed around with plenty of gorgeous women. But there comes a point in a man's life when he has to trade in the sports car for a sensible sedan with comfortable shoes.

My wife is a perfectly acceptable bronze medal.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Not sure why the money he gave back to them would even enter into the conversation other than a point of negotiation for his agent to get him paid for doing PR work. Surely other retired players get paid to do PR stuff for their former teams all the time.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

GD_American posted:

He's retired. Why would the salary cap apply anymore?

Apparently, it does:

"NFL teams are required to get approval from the league for appearance fees paid to former players, to prevent circumventing salary cap rules. The NFL uses an independent firm in the process to help determine a player’s marketability. In Johnson's case, the Lions could not give him more than the $1.6 million they required him to repay — and that their initial proposal totaled, before it was reviewed and approved by the league — without also requiring him to make more appearances"

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

sharknado slashfic posted:

I love Lamar Jackson and hope he wins a super bowl.

Me too after he gets traded to a good team

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Jesus Christ John Wolford

https://twitter.com/jourdanrodrigue/status/1423792821459292163?s=21

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Look, I settled and so did the Dolphins. At some point you just go to Home Depot and get really into gas-powered pressure washers.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

sweet thursday posted:

This is the prologue to MattRyan.txt

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I don’t understand the original tweet that Omar is responding to. “Under evaluate intangibles?” If there was any scouting miss on Herbert it was under-evaluating his tangibles, like that he’s a giant who can throw the ball 100 yards.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thinking about getting the #1 pick

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t understand the original tweet that Omar is responding to. “Under evaluate intangibles?” If there was any scouting miss on Herbert it was under-evaluating his tangibles, like that he’s a giant who can throw the ball 100 yards.

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1423740097925582849?s=19

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
should've gotten vaccinated smdh

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Aren't the Dolphins still loaded to the gills with high draft picks?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

half cocaine posted:

Aren't the Dolphins still loaded to the gills with high draft picks?

dolphins don't have gills
they have lungs

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it was just holding him back

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Alaois posted:

it was just holding him back

Isn't that true of everyone's appendix?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LOL Omar really is taking over the Manish mantle as the derpiest beat guy.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Wife ugly so.what

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Evan Fournier

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mcmagic posted:

LOL Omar really is taking over the Manish mantle as the derpiest beat guy.

I mean he's been hustling and right up there for years.

AsInHowe posted:

dolphins don't have gills
they have lungs

True, they're just loaded to the blowhole with draft picks. But they're definitely loaded.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/lukesawhook/status/1422248161536626695

herbie please get some sun

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

real nice skin damage, justin

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

That’s extremely my look, hell yeah

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lolmar Vaxxson

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The miss on Herbert wasn't exactly scouting, he just plain got better in the offseason (or the Oregon staff had no idea what he was capable of).

Every scouting report I read on him had him as Classic Oregon Guy - great athlete, cannon arm, accurate, but struggles to move off his first read. Basically Tannehill. He then came into the NFL and started seamlessly going through complex progressions in a way that he hadn't in college.

Herbert is also really interesting in the context of Mahomes and Allen. A few years ago the conventional wisdom when drafting qbs was that the mental side was absolutely the most important thing, and you could develop arm strength through training and mobility was a useful bonus, but not actually important. But the three biggest quarterback hits of the past few years have been A++ athletes with rocket launchers and questionable processing skills coming out of college, and teams have succeeded in teaching them how to QB.

tarbrush fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 7, 2021

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

tarbrush posted:

The miss on Herbert wasn't exactly scouting, he just plain got better in the offseason (or the Oregon staff had no idea what he was capable of).

Every scouting report I read on him had him as Classic Oregon Guy - great athlete, cannon arm, accurate, but struggles to move off his first read. Basically Tannehill. He then came into the NFL and started seamlessly going through complex progressions in a way that he hadn't in college.

He also got knocked a lot for having his mechanics breakdown and getting happy feet and that was flat wrong too.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

BlindSite posted:

He also got knocked a lot for having his mechanics breakdown and getting happy feet and that was flat wrong too.

Yeah. He and the Chargers did an amazing job that offseason

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Also I'm terrified Herbert is gonna turn back into a pumpkin.

I know he probably wont but I am not rational.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BlindSite posted:

I don’t think it’s really fair to call it wrong since all of those things were true and there was plenty of evidence on tape. He just got better once he got proper coaching which he clearly wasn’t at Oregon.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Reading about Seahawks training camp and keep getting tripped up by the team having both Aldon Smith and Robert Nkemdiche. Weird weird weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think it’s really fair to call it wrong since all of those things were true and there was plenty of evidence on tape. He just got better once he got proper coaching which he clearly wasn’t at Oregon.

I feel like Mahomes was the same way, his negatives in college were non trivial but he improved on them a lot while still having his crazy positives.

A big problem is it's hard to scout smart, plenty of "smart" college players look like slow witted morons in the pros, so downplaying physical talent for smarts has the huge risk of giving you someone who is still dumb but can't run fast or throw far either.