Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

sure was real lucky that one of the terrorists' passports just landed unharmed in the street

Ok, this one cracked my ping verily, are you loving SERIOUS?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mycomancy posted:

lol

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

paul_soccer12 posted:

why bother with building 7? no one even cared at the time and after teh twin towers were hit bush had carte blanche for war no matter what else happened

that part of the true anon series was a bit eye rolling but at least they didnt say it was to get the gold reserves buried under it or anything

Wasn't it holding the backup files into the investigation of like a trillion dollars that had vanished into thin air at the DOD? The primary files of which were held in the Pentagon and were also destroyed in a freak coincidence on 9/11?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Legit tho, imagine if Osama had gone with the original plan:

quote:

According to the September 11 Commission, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed envisioned hijacking twelve airplanes on both the East and West coasts, and for eleven of them to crash into the World Trade Center and the Empire State Building in New York City; The Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia; the Prudential Tower in Boston, Massachusetts; the White House and the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C.; the Willis Tower (then Sears Tower) in Chicago, Illinois; the U.S. Bank Tower (then Library Tower) in Los Angeles, California; the Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco, California; and the Columbia Center in Seattle, Washington.

But nope, it got McKinsey MBA’ed into a cost effiency minimal viable product instead

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

But nope, it got McKinsey MBA’ed into a cost effiency minimal viable product instead

oh no! not the Columbia Center/BoFA tower by Martin Selig. truly a beaut

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

As a UNC grad KSM should've used one to target Duke campus. Imagine the hearts and minds that would've won

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

this is philly erasure
(numba wone citah in da wurld!!)

mycomancy posted:

lol this is what I came here for

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

can you imagine Boston with their own 9/11 memorial

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Victory Position posted:

can you imagine Boston with their own 9/11 memorial

Imagine the Mark Walburg movies.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Zmej posted:

lol this is what I came here for

I mean, I was a loving adult when 9/11 happened, and I never remember reading or hearing this from the news because that would've radicalized the ever living gently caress out of me about a decade before it did in reality.

Just...I just can't....

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I was in preschool when 9/11 happened y'all are boomers to me

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

I was in 3rd grade and was like cool we get the day off.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Even Mega-9/11 wouldn't have killed as many people as the US' own goal coronavirus response

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I came home from school like 10 minutes after the first plane
and turned on the tv. it was the most incredible thing I ever saw. i phoned my parents to let them know but they thought i was making poo poo up and got a bit mad.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

tokin opposition posted:

lmao

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i was in 7th grade for 9/11 and i remember a kid at lunch telling everyone a million people were killed

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fortaleza posted:

As a UNC grad KSM should've used one to target Duke campus. Imagine the hearts and minds that would've won

He didn't want Americans to support him though

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Blowback Season 3 should be the Vietnam War.

In it for the soundtrack

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tokin opposition posted:

i think i was in kindergarten but either way i don't even remember it lol

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

nah the 12 hijackings plan was what came after this first idea:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bojinka_plot

quote:

The Bojinka plot was a large-scale, three-phase terrorist attack planned by Ramzi Yousef and Khalid Sheikh Mohammed for January 1995. They planned to assassinate Pope John Paul II; blow up 11 airliners in flight from Asia to the United States with the goal of killing approximately 4,000 passengers and shutting down air travel around the world; and crash a plane into the headquarters of the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in Fairfax County, Virginia.

They scrapped that and went to the idea for 12 hijackings, then downscaled to four planes inside US territory. one proposed target was a nuclear power plant but bin Laden vetoed this because he "didn't want things to get out of hand" (for real).

gh0stpinballa has issued a correction as of 00:19 on Aug 7, 2021

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
if they killed the pope and blew up the cia they probably would've gotten a bump in approval rating in some parts of the us

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
anti nuclear proliferation cartoon where Khalid Sheikh Mohammed proposes increasingly destructive and insane terror plots until reaching the nuclear option and Bin Laden butts in and says "What!? I'm not stupid!" and then winks at the reader.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I was 13 when 9/11 happened lol.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I thought I was the youngest goon, but there's motherfuckers who dont remember 9/11

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Best thing about 9/11 is that goons keep getting older but it stays the same age

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

gh0stpinballa posted:

nah the 12 hijackings plan was what came after this first idea:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bojinka_plot

They scrapped that

No, they got discovered by the Philippine authorities while testing one of the bombs. The plot was essentially foiled, but expressly not by the US.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

A Russian troll farm posted:

I thought I was the youngest goon, but there's motherfuckers who dont remember 9/11

Man, there's people fighting the Forever War who weren't even born when it happened, man :350:

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i was in 7th grade for 9/11 and i remember a kid at lunch telling everyone a million people were killed
that's incredible foresight if you consider the iraq war as continuing part and protracted 9/11 lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mycomancy posted:

this catchphrase has gotta go

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

You have to go.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I've been saying this for what feels like years! :mad:

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I hope this is an attempt at getting people to say it more because otherwise my sympathies

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

some plague rats posted:

I hope this is an attempt at getting people to say it more

impossible

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shipon posted:

brace and liz lost me when they unironically did the "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" thing, if you gently caress up simple material properties like that then you shouldn't be speaking on any engineering-related matters. i definitely believe though that bush and the us government allowed it to happen as a convenient excuse to start a new set of wars because they definitely had full knowledge of the plot.

I think they chose a bad "source" for those episodes in the housetrotter guy. I remember when Liz is like "this guy doesn't seem like someone who would believe dumb things" and....uh, yeah, he kind of does.

That being said, I actually think there's a non-trivial chance that the towers were brought down through non-plane means. It's obvious that there was a clear intent to engineer an excuse for the Iraq War, and "planes running into the twin towers and wrecking a few floors, killing ~100 people" just wouldn't have the same "oomph" to rally the public. So the mere fact that all the buildings in question collapsed was *possible* doesn't mean that's necessarily what actually happened. It just means that you're weighing different highly unlikely outcomes against one another.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

No, they got discovered by the Philippine authorities while testing one of the bombs. The plot was essentially foiled, but expressly not by the US.

You're quite correct, my bad

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

The entire point of trueanon imo is that wingnut conspiracy theories are allowed to propagate to obfuscate and discredit actual malfeasance and/or negligence on the part of state actors. They approach this by being credulous to the ‘conspiracy theory’ premise and then walking it back until they hit facts that are established. I don’t think they’ve ever claimed “oh yeah it’s 100% true that bush colluded with the cia to thermite the wtc support structure” but are happy to entertain these theories rhetorically to point out that they aren’t actually that unprecedented or bold on the list of American state crimes.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

I think they chose a bad "source" for those episodes in the housetrotter guy. I remember when Liz is like "this guy doesn't seem like someone who would believe dumb things" and....uh, yeah, he kind of does.

That being said, I actually think there's a non-trivial chance that the towers were brought down through non-plane means. It's obvious that there was a clear intent to engineer an excuse for the Iraq War, and "planes running into the twin towers and wrecking a few floors, killing ~100 people" just wouldn't have the same "oomph" to rally the public. So the mere fact that all the buildings in question collapsed was *possible* doesn't mean that's necessarily what actually happened. It just means that you're weighing different highly unlikely outcomes against one another.

My favorite thing about that guy was his “source” that had a totally comprehensive timeline but he said the site would always be down randomly, so you have to catch it at the right time.

I like to imagine that site was run by one crazy guy out of sheer willpower. I just thought it was a pretty funny red flag for a good source of information.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

TheSlutPit posted:

The entire point of trueanon imo is that wingnut conspiracy theories are allowed to propagate to obfuscate and discredit actual malfeasance and/or negligence on the part of state actors. They approach this by being credulous to the ‘conspiracy theory’ premise and then walking it back until they hit facts that are established. I don’t think they’ve ever claimed “oh yeah it’s 100% true that bush colluded with the cia to thermite the wtc support structure” but are happy to entertain these theories rhetorically to point out that they aren’t actually that unprecedented or bold on the list of American state crimes.

Not sure if that's even a point of TrueAnon but imo most conspiracy theories are centered upon the supposition of malicious intent, and opposition to such theories is usually grounded in excusing any potential instance of malice as incompetence instead.

As far as who prepared the structure of the WTC for demolition, they do allude that the Kroll company was responsible (iirc there was conjecture this was done by the visiting artists who toured the site in the weeks before the attack who may have in fact been the so-called "dancing Israelis" that Trump alluded to early in his presidential campaign)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Not sure if that's even a point of TrueAnon but imo most conspiracy theories are centered upon the supposition of malicious intent, and opposition to such theories is usually grounded in excusing any potential instance of malice as incompetence instead.

To this point I think they’ve specifically said this is *a* premise of the show on a few eps. I know it was mentioned on the 5G episode that the “5G creates covid/mind control/etc” theories are at minimum allowed to flourish because the more mundane reality—that omnipresent, high bandwidth wireless on every device enables a massive expansion of surveillance and data collection capabilities—is both credible and concerning. I would say it’s fairly extensible too, as if you start talking to someone irl about the material presented in the jakarta method you are more likely to sound like a crazy person than someone versed on 20th century history. Maybe the haters are right though that they’ve leaned too much into the pop theories over some of the more nuanced critique.