Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
a friend gave me a key for the Back 4 Blood beta (it’s good! somewhere between left 4 dead, kf2 and apex). when it auto detected you settings it did something I found peculiar - it enabled DLSS as an anti aliasing program but also turned on fidelity FX? I thought they did the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
FidelityFX what? FidelityFX is AMD's name for a suite of tools they've made for developers. That includes FSR, which is their upscaler that totally doesn't compete with DLSS, but also implementations of a ton of other things that have nothing to do with resolution.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Looks like it has CAS (just sharpening) rather than FSR (upscaling plus sharpening)

You can use CAS with DLSS if you like the crispy sharpened look, it's just preference

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Weird thing we noticed in discord was that the Best Buy app would tell you if it was in stock at a particular shop. Thing is it was showing for BB’s that weren’t even on the last in store dropso might be worth looking into if you weren’t necessarily close to the drop BB

Probably won’t be anything but third party 3080ti 3090 but people have gotten lucky with 3090 FE in the past. Someone in the discord got a Ventus 3070 ti that was just on the shelf but they are also like 1000 buxx

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

welp

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'll take the monitor off your hands if you win

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That Gundam build is cooler than it has any right to be, and it would drive me nuts to own that card knowing the case and other themed bits are missing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

If you don’t mind an open box (and a ridiculously expensive premium) there’s a gundam prebuilt

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=gundam+prebuilt

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Steam Deck hands-on for those who still can't get cards:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/6/22612886/valve-steam-deck-handheld-gaming-pc-hands-on-preview

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Given the earliest ship date for that I think has hit Autumn 2022 if you haven't already reserved one, I don't think it's too viable as an alternative in the immediate. My main takeaway from these impressions now it's being sent out is how huge it is.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

No kidding lol

https://twitter.com/_janjerome/status/1423691015366483969?s=19

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That really undersells the size difference too.

That said, the Switch isn't really that large. The main problem is the thickness/weight. I'm not sure how fun it will be to use.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Thickness isn't really an issue imo, the Wii U Gamepad was thick as hell but also super comfortable. Weight is a way bigger factor.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SElZABp5M3U

drat seeing someone actually hold the thing is totally different from just comparison pics, it's an absolute unit

(Also I'm guessing they did all of the press previews at once, love the people in the background side-eyeing Linus screaming for Youtube while he's filming)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think people are overhyping it (just like the steam controller, ha), and it bein a big boy like that kinda limits its actual usecase on like planes/trains and such, but this is definitely the most thought out and competent implementation of the "cram an ultrabook into a gamegear" concept.

The memory config on the SoC is super bizarre. Quad channel LPDDR5? Def seems to be a SoC purpose built for this sort of application and not repurposed embedded or laptop hardware like these things normally use.

e:VVV i also forgot that LPDDR has used 32-bit (or even 16bit) channel widths for a while, too. so really its equal in width to a dual channel DDR4 interface.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 6, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

As I understand it DDR5 inherently has two channels per module, so it's a fairly standard two module setup that runs at quad channel internally

There aren't any other mobile DDR5 devices to compare to yet, to see if this will be the standard configuration or not

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 6, 2021

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Holy poo poo, I won the shuffle on the gigabyte 3080 for $900 (plus the dumb motherboard).

I’m freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Odd Mutant posted:

Holy poo poo, I won the shuffle on the gigabyte 3080 for $900 (plus the dumb motherboard).

I’m freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Nice. I’m surprised it isn’t 1000

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Decks total memory bandwidth should be 88GB/sec if anyone was wondering

Not bad for a mobile device, more than triple the Switches bandwidth

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

njsykora posted:

Thickness isn't really an issue imo, the Wii U Gamepad was thick as hell but also super comfortable. Weight is a way bigger factor.

Its 1.5Lbs, like double the weight of a Switch.The controller shape should help at least, its not a flat back like the Switch.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

1.5 pounds is lighter than an iPad pro with LTE transceiver fwiw

And I wouldn't be shocked kf that was their target

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw both giant bomb and Linus both mentioned that they didn’t notice the weight or think it will be an issue.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Does anyone hold up an iPad Pro for gaming session periods of time? The weight thing seems to be the biggest question mark for me right now

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

repiv posted:

The Decks total memory bandwidth should be 88GB/sec if anyone was wondering

Not bad for a mobile device, more than triple the Switches bandwidth

For now.

~100GB/sec is going to become fairly normal for everything (except phones?) once DDR5 becomes the standard.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Does anyone hold up an iPad Pro for gaming session periods of time? The weight thing seems to be the biggest question mark for me right now

I hold it up for reading all the time which is essentially the same. I don’t find it an issue

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
1.5lbs is like .7kg that's *insanely* light for what's effectively a battery powered gaming pc lmao, and not definitely not weight you'd really notice especially if you're holding it with both hands imo

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Truga posted:

1.5lbs is like .7kg that's *insanely* light for what's effectively a battery powered gaming pc lmao, and not definitely not weight you'd really notice especially if you're holding it with both hands imo

I mean its gonna be a personal perference thing, but I used my Switch extensively while traveling for work (when that was a thing) and the weight was my biggest complaint about it. It would get fatiguing to use for long flights without propping it up, and worse when laying in hotel beds or whatever. The Deck is nearly twice as heavy.

Still didnt stop me from using the switch on those long flights, mind you. I swear, other than abusing sleep aids and zonking out, the Switch is the only thing that might make back to back to back travel weeks bearable.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 6, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The ergonomics will modify the weight 'feeling'. For example the Win Max is a little heavier (though a smaller footprint) and due to the ergonomics, ime, is uncomfortable for anything longer than a 1 hour session. But I can imagine having controller shaped holds would mitigate that feeling quite a bit.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Truga posted:

I only half-read that Verge article, but managing to run The Witcher 3 at 720p medium settings just above the fps threshold where you'd wanna kill yourself is not really a gaming PC

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

I only half-read that Verge article, but managing to run The Witcher 3 at 720p medium settings just above the fps threshold where you'd wanna kill yourself is not really a gaming PC

I’ve noticed that on a 7 inch screen at 720 the difference between low and medium isn’t as dramatic as it seems. It will play it at low st 30fps no problem.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My main question is how it will be for children and anyone with thinner arms than all the dudes doing previews of this thing. On the surface, this would be a great device for kids, but the weight and size could be big issues there.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

Do you have a Switch? We're past the point where underpowered machines can't do anything fun. There will be plenty of good games that can run well on it. For most people, it won't be an only gaming device anyway. To me, the really killer thing is the streaming potential. The ability to go chill outside and play a game or keep taking turns in Civ while taking a poo poo or whatever is the biggest strength. There have been plenty of times over the past 10 years when I'd have laid down $400 for a device that would let me play this or that game locally or remotely when I was wasting time for some reason.

I'm not getting one at launch and probably not at all, but there's no denying that Valve is hitting a niche here and if they stick with it with new generations every 3 years or so I will probably buy in on the second one.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the ergonomics give me steam controller flashbacks. I can feel my thumbs cramping and my ears aching from people telling me "well actually it's much better so long as you find the right set of community binds for each game, are willing to put a few hundred hours into practice and have four joints in your thumb"

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

People should anchor comparisons to other PC handhelds rather than the Switch. I spent a lot of time babying my GPD Win’s config on a per game basis to optimize for TDP/battery life. Maybe the deck will encourage developers to target it but I’ll believe it when it happens.

I’m reminded of the Ascent which runs like poo poo on both Steam/Windows store versions versus the console version and that’s not even a handheld game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

shrike82 posted:

I spent a lot of time babying my GPD Win’s config on a per game basis to optimize for TDP/battery life.

What does the GPD expose in terms of power management that you can configure on a per game basis? Does it have better instrumentation of power draw than, say, base Windows?

Valve is emphasizing the openness of the Deck in both hardware and software. That's a pretty big deal if you like to mod games or want a console-like, handheld platform that has the freedom of a desktop in terms of what you run or modding. They even talked up giving full deets on how to open it up and full specs on what's inside.

Moddability isn't important to most folks, but the Deck is a pretty big deal to those who want it in a handheld - it's much much more than a heavier, more powerful Switch that runs PC games to me but I tend to look for mods first thing after installing a game.

E: oops, thought this was the Deck thread.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 7, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
well, it's not exactly like a handheld console though, is it? you buy a gameboy you can play all the existing gameboy games. you have a reasonable expectation that any gameboy game will run well (or, if they don't, it's the fault of the specific title) and that you can continue enjoying the gameboy games so long as they are produced and there's a mostly clean break when the next non-compatable version comes out.

steam games do not work that way. and that's fine, we wouldn't have it any other way, but i dunno if that's going to map cleanly 1:1 to the handheld paradigm? many non-nintendo companies have tried and found it a rough industry until someone got the bright idea of backdooring it by bolting your game machine onto something you'd be carrying anyway, and even then the vita failed in this era. i am naturally skeptical, but we'll see i guess.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
honestly i think it's fine here, it's an APU as opposed to a GPU but i don't think anyone credibly is taking this as more than "a gaming PC in your pocket backpack"

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Changing TDP through the bios - literally setting the max wattage.

I get the attraction of a handheld (gaming) PC - I've been chasing the dream since the early naughts when I bought a Sharp Zaurus running a weirdass Linux fork.
But for most people, I think the reality of balancing performance, heat, and battery life on a per game basis is going to suucckkkk

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

KinkyJohn posted:

So basically CRTs provided some antialiasing

CRTs caused a softening and smudging of detail that made aliasing less apparent, and this behavior could be exploited to create certain visual effects that were not apparent in the source art when viewed with more precisely accurate display devices. It essentially amounts to making the best of a cruddy situation, and similar (hell, maybe MORE adventurous) effects were exploited in the days of CGA adapters with composite output to TVs.

Given all of the above, does Castlevania SOTN’s Xbox release look good in HD? Did they remaster it to compensate for newer displays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

v1ld posted:

What does the GPD expose in terms of power management that you can configure on a per game basis? Does it have better instrumentation of power draw than, say, base Windows?

Nothing in Windows and it’s a bit of a pain in the rear end tbh. It’s gotten better but still if it was automatic it would be amazing.