Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Every so often you can tell he's into it. I did like the return of Big Rigs guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah it really depends on the game. When it's one he has some personal connection to the review reflects it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's a bit sad going back and watching all the content James made for the first, say, 7 years. All the early AVGN, Monster Madness, Board James. And all the one-offs like the movie location tours were delightful. Pretty much everything he put out was something he was clearly passionate about. Even the unscripted stuff was great, like the Victormaxx video, or the film commentaries that nobody ever watched. You still saw that spark from him in later years, like in the J&MM Friday the 13th video, or the deep film trivia he covered like the Cardboard in Dracula vid. But even those were like 5 years ago. These days it's just... nothing. :( At least when Mike was there we would get the occasional great J&MM video.

I'm surprised/impressed at the view numbers AVGN still gets with how mediocre they have been for years now. I guess the Screenwave guys know how to work Youtube.

edit: I'll admit I did really enjoy the Fear and Loathing episode! And I forgot James has promised a full traditional Monster Madness in 2021, so I'm hopeful about that.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 12, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

wa27 posted:

I guess the Screenwave guys know how to work Youtube.

I think they just knew what property they could ride the, erh, nostalgia wave on.

Cinemassacre hasn't exactly been innovative or easier for newcomers to digest, since they took over.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I wonder how much of that is him "not caring" about making videos vs a combination of the pandemic shutting down everything for awhile, and him having 2 kids.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The reviews are still pretty good, but that game doesn't have much to dig into. It shouldn't have been one by itself. The best part was the big rigs guy, which says that there isn't anything about the game that you can make a while episode about

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Codependent Poster posted:

The reviews are still pretty good, but that game doesn't have much to dig into. It shouldn't have been one by itself. The best part was the big rigs guy, which says that there isn't anything about the game that you can make a while episode about
Carmageddon 64 has tons more lovely things of talk about, but you kinda have to be familiar with Carmageddon II to properly explain why this port is so godawful. Obviously, James (or whoever wrote this review) isn't, so the review just covers the surface-level stuff.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Codependent Poster posted:

there isn't anything about the game that you can make a while episode about
In his Darkman review, the comparisons to NES Robocop were astounding. It's just this little slice of a thing but you can totally tell it was a quick cut and paste job.

I also really liked how that one in particular was like "No, no loving gimmick!" and functioned as a very light movie overview about how bugshit Darkman was and now I hope it's on his Monster Madness for a full review.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yPInbLTuBg

It's mostly the Screenwave guys, but i don't hate it. Simple 10 minute vid making fun of the stupid ps4 themes. I do not understand why these exist. I used the HZD one until the BLM one came out.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

The Corn theme for PS3 was pretty famous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkqnCNNJtsM

e: looks like they updated it for PS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v2HIbvMEz4

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I don't normally have the attention span for podcasts but if James is involved I'm willing to give it a shot.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Pretty old school style video today

https://youtu.be/Y66vEfEiPBM

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mokinokaro posted:

Pretty old school style video today

https://youtu.be/Y66vEfEiPBM

I remember PushingUpRoses reviewing this game with ugh, ProJared.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fair review. It’s a fun game once you get into its groove. He’s right that they shouldn’t have called it Pacman 2 in the west.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The ska theme song made me smile.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Aw, maybe it's just the nostalgia and the fact I played the heck out of this game clouding my judgement, but I felt really let down by the Pac Man 2 episode. For a game that is absolutely brimming with tons of potential frustrations that could lead to comedic moments (pac man's mood swings, weird obstacles and events with tons of trial and error, lack of direction/clues, communication issues, etc), it felt like they just sped through the game at breakneck speed to deliver a threadbare summary: they barely explained how the game works and barely touched on any of the notable events in the game. I've still been enjoying AVGN here and there, but I feel like this episode finally hit me hard with the whole 'they're just going through the motions now/phoning it in' feeling surrounding these videos now.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

They just wanted to get to the cum monster joke. That's all the material they had.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
A Paperboy style episode would have worked great for this game, but I guess that old style of writing is gone.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Gavok posted:

Turns out that was near the end of the run as they stopped making new episodes, turned their channel into a group Let's Play thing, did a Kickstarter for new episodes, then... I don't remember anything happening with that.

There was some controversy about five years ago when the Awesome Video Games people took money from backers, implying they were going to restart AVG. Instead they just stream let's play stuff on Twitch and Youtube and who knows where the money went. People rightly felt cheated.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbX7W0bO2bc

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Does James really not get that there’s loads of single man operations that put out weekly content, and don’t look loving miserable every time they’re on camera?

Edit: Also I can’t help but notice that he omitted Mike’s name while talking about people complaining about the people he works with. I’m sure there were probably more complaints about Mike than there ever were about Screw Attack or Game Trailers.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 6, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

People got annoyed with Mike but still thought he fit well.

I still like the videos mostly a lot. I actually like the shorter simpler ones just talking about the games more often.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 6, 2021

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The onion bit was hilarious

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Somebody must have handled the technical side of his movie because if he’d done it with his 2006 home brew understanding of how filmmaking works it still wouldn’t be done.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Does James really not get that there’s loads of single man operations that put out weekly content, and don’t look loving miserable every time they’re on camera?

Sure, but it's clear that he can't/is not willing to do that these days with a family. I can't really blame the guy - he doesn't owe his audience anything. When he said if it was just him, he would only make three videos a year, part of me thought "I wouldn't mind that", but I do wonder what an all-James AVGN episode would even look like these days. I bet it wouldn't be much different from that they are now. It seems like the show is still his vision, and maybe he just doesn't have it anymore.

I'll be curious to hear the podcast. I can't imagine it being very good, but who knows. I hope it's not just james just saying "yeah" over and over.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

wa27 posted:

I hope it's not just james just saying "yeah" over and over.

yeah.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

wa27 posted:

Sure, but it's clear that he can't/is not willing to do that these days with a family. I can't really blame the guy - he doesn't owe his audience anything. When he said if it was just him, he would only make three videos a year, part of me thought "I wouldn't mind that", but I do wonder what an all-James AVGN episode would even look like these days. I bet it wouldn't be much different from that they are now. It seems like the show is still his vision, and maybe he just doesn't have it anymore.

I'll be curious to hear the podcast. I can't imagine it being very good, but who knows. I hope it's not just james just saying "yeah" over and over.
James is really starting to give me Lowtax vibes. Not that he’s a piece of poo poo or anything like that. But he got big on a much earlier iteration of the internet, refused to keep up with the times, and got trapped doing something he kind of seems to hate.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

He seems to enjoy it still to me. Especially when he’s doing the bigger episodes. I felt he was being genuine in this video.

Xbone
Nov 3, 2013
His process for making videos looks like a needlessly complicated Rube Goldberg contraption he duct taped together in the 1800s and refuses to update or streamline.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not that I'm totally unsympathetic but uh, isn't this his main job now? I'm pretty sure most people with families have, you know, jobs.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Acerbatus posted:

Not that I'm totally unsympathetic but uh, isn't this his main job now? I'm pretty sure most people with families have, you know, jobs.

Yes, he makes that clear in the video. He seemed a little miffed at people telling him to quit because of that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xbone posted:

His process for making videos looks like a needlessly complicated Rube Goldberg contraption he duct taped together in the 1800s and refuses to update or streamline.
It's more that he found a process that works and doesn't want to spend time relearning stuff or playing with poo poo when something breaks.

Remember how long it took for him to stop his old method of game capture re: write straight to a DVD writer

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Last 3 minutes really should have been left out lol, it got weirdly defensive.

Casimir Radon posted:

James is really starting to give me Lowtax vibes. Not that he’s a piece of poo poo or anything like that. But he got big on a much earlier iteration of the internet, refused to keep up with the times, and got trapped doing something he kind of seems to hate.

The mention of "I have deadlines and contracted brand stuff to meet" seemed like a telling tidbit about just how much the channel has changed i.e. Screenwave's stuff. I feel this is like the 100th time he's said he has no time to do poo poo anymore and it's sad to see how it's all just a Screenwave gig keeping the blood pumping.

idk if people really had an issue with previous collaborators/sidemen before but man the Screenwave guys suck.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Why do people hate the screenwave guys so much? I don’t watch the videos with them in them much but they don’t seem that bad.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Because it’s Different and therefore tainting the nostalgia people have for the character’s past work.

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006
It's pretty dumb people get upset just because he has help and family obligations now. I only have one kid and once summer break starts, that pretty much throws away all the time I'd usually have to myself in the evening after their normally early bedtime.

But I also remember being younger and having OPINIONS about dumb poo poo like console sales and tv raitings. It's hard to really care about things like that anymore.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why do people hate the screenwave guys so much?
They all look like Comic Book Guy and the stuff they're in like Rental Reviews really isn't that engaging.

The guy that played Clown in the Spawn episode was good though.

I also think people feel like they're writing the episodes now.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why do people hate the screenwave guys so much? I don’t watch the videos with them in them much but they don’t seem that bad.

They're not bad which I think is the point but internet kinda goes crazy extreme.

They're not as fun or entertaining as Mike, Bootsy, and guitar guy. They're the fat stinky guys that played magic cards in the corner of the games store. Like not bad but well, not really fun either. Also they seem to be running the show and people hold fond memories when it wasn't just a job for James back before his Hollywood film broke him.

Edit- ok the spawn outfit was amazing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They’re an improvement over Mike, but that’s not saying much.

I know James has kids, and it would be lovely of him to neglect them. But this is his full time job. It’s not like he’s putting 40 hours away in an office job, 10 more commuting, and then people are screaming at him to make videos in his spare time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One of James' kids had gnarly medical issues so as popular and long-lived as his stuff is it's not unbelievable to think he might need the extra dough that comes in from these smaller, shorter reviews.