Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

etalian posted:

Barely used too, also apparently the US left so fast from main bases like Bagram they left behind military equipment like weapons and ammunition

Also lol at any nation that willingly went along with contributing troops to the US Invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan.

It's on purpose they leave them there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Wait are the contractors just gonna be staying there then? So we are going to have our first major "all PMC merc" war now?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

Wait are the contractors just gonna be staying there then? So we are going to have our first major "all PMC merc" war now?

where the hell will they be staying? the occupation government is being rolled up like a cheap rug

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Feldegast42 posted:

Hopefully they end up on a rope decorating bridges and gates

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

Well I know in places like Afghanistan / Iraq most of the big name contractors left already, which means the fancy airforce they paid the US to build will become useless in a few months.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

LGD posted:

you can dismiss most of the smaller late 20th century wars for being undeclared, but the case falls apart b/c of empire-building efforts in the 19th and early 20th centuries (i.e. it'd be really hard to dispute the notion that the U.S. won the Mexican-American war)

otoh I'm not sure most of the people you'd be trolling with the argument are going to even think to bring stuff like that up

Thank you.

The neat part about making such a strict statement is that it is either true or false.
If it's false, I get the reasons why, and I get a deeper understanding of what happened.

There is a trolling "wrapper paper," but under it, is a simple need to know stuff and be accurate.
I hoped that I made the post's tone light enough that if it is wrong, it is easy to say it is wrong.

That is one of the great things about something awful, somebody just knows.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

etalian posted:

Well I know in places like Afghanistan / Iraq most of the big name contractors left already, which means the fancy airforce they paid the US to build will become useless in a few months.

funding, building, then collapsing militaries in the Middle East is America’s favorite hobby

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

in a way we won since we funded armed and trained the taliban. another American success story

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vomik posted:

in a way we won since we funded armed and trained the taliban. another American success story

Like the bigger budget but predictable franchise sequel...

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mercenaries have really lost their backbone. back in the day if a country didn't follow through on a contract the mercenaries would sack their capital. Now they are just litigious.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

god america owns. always saving the day god bless

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
“The debacle in Afghanistan, which will unravel into chaos with lightning speed over the next few weeks and ensure the return of the Taliban to power, is one more signpost of the end of the American empire. The two decades of combat, the one trillion dollars we spent, the 100,000 troops deployed to subdue Afghanistan, the high-tech gadgets, artificial intelligence, cyberwarfare, Reaper drones armed with Hellfire missiles and GBU-30 bombs and the Global Hawk drones with high-resolution cameras, Special Operations Command composed of elite rangers, SEALs and air commandos, black sites, torture, electronic surveillance, satellites, attack aircraft, mercenary armies, infusions of millions of dollars to buy off and bribe the local elites and train an Afghan army of 350,000 that has never exhibited the will to fight, failed to defeat a guerrilla army of 60,000 that funded itself through opium production and extortion in one of the poorest countries on earth.”

owned

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

MLSM posted:

“The debacle in Afghanistan, which will unravel into chaos with lightning speed over the next few weeks and ensure the return of the Taliban to power, is one more signpost of the end of the American empire. The two decades of combat, the one trillion dollars we spent, the 100,000 troops deployed to subdue Afghanistan, the high-tech gadgets, artificial intelligence, cyberwarfare, Reaper drones armed with Hellfire missiles and GBU-30 bombs and the Global Hawk drones with high-resolution cameras, Special Operations Command composed of elite rangers, SEALs and air commandos, black sites, torture, electronic surveillance, satellites, attack aircraft, mercenary armies, infusions of millions of dollars to buy off and bribe the local elites and train an Afghan army of 350,000 that has never exhibited the will to fight, failed to defeat a guerrilla army of 60,000 that funded itself through opium production and extortion in one of the poorest countries on earth.”

owned

Chinese strategy in Afghanistan:
1. Engage natives in a purely business relationship
2. ???
3. Win

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Palladium posted:

2. ???
3. Win

Gonna get the biggest stinkeye from the brits lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MLSM posted:

owned

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Vomik posted:

This thread is dedicated to the brave Mujaheddin fighters of Afghanistan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So what's everyone's best guess for how long it will take for the central government to collapse and also for what's left to get marched up the wall??

Looks like the domino effect has already kicked off with the Taliban making big gains and the government only being left with marginal control over urban city areas like Kabul.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

etalian posted:

So what's everyone's best guess for how long it will take for the central government to collapse and also for what's left to get marched up the wall??

Looks like the domino effect has already kicked off with the Taliban making big gains and the government only being left with marginal control over urban city areas like Kabul.

Yesterday.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

etalian posted:

1949 KMT warlord vibes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao from BBC Aug report

Blue= Afgan government
Red= Tablian Control
Yellow= Contested Provinces

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

etalian posted:

lmao from BBC Aug report

Blue= Afgan government
Red= Tablian Control
Yellow= Contested Provinces

those are districts not provinces, loving bbc idiots

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/08/1025909600/taliban-seizes-2-more-provincial-capitals-in-afghanistan

quote:

The Taliban seized two provincial capitals in Afghanistan on Sunday, according to Afghan officials, the latest to be overtaken by the insurgents since the start of a sweeping military offensive in May.

With the capture of Taleqan, the capital of the northeastern province of Takhar, and the strategically important city Kunduz just hours earlier, the Taliban now have a hold on four provincial capitals across the country.

In Kunduz, fighting between Taliban insurgents and Afghanistan's government forces took place Sunday near the governor's office and police headquarters, provincial council member Ghulam Rabani Rabani told The Associated Press.

Rabani said the Taliban was now in control of the two buildings. They also seized a prison building in Kunduz, according to Rabani.

With a population of about 375,000, Kunduz is considered a major hub for economics and culture. Its location — roughly 200 miles from the capital of Kabul — also makes the city a significant military prize.

Takhar also has particular significance to an alliance of northern anti-Taliban fighters, who joined the U.S.-led coalition to oust the Taliban at the start of the war in 2001. Two Afghan lawmakers told the AP that the capital fell to the Taliban earlier Sunday.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

lmao. I did some quick calculations using population data from 2015 and after this i think ~ 60% of the population live under taliban rule and only 40% under the afghan govt. if kabul goes to the taliban that number will shift like 75% to taliban and 25% to afghan govt.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol
https://twitter.com/nocontextafgwar/status/1415372965634510856/photo/1

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Love the needless double negative there. I think they knew how absurd it would be to title the article "How to Win In Afghanistan"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
"i'm not losing! i'm not losing!!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into south vietnam

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/nocontextafgwar/status/1422911296215961602/photo/1

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/nocontextafgwar/status/1413126321719361545/photo/1

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

john stewart was a war booster in Iraq

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

bedpan posted:

john stewart was a war booster in Iraq

he called all the bombings in afghanistan revenge for 9/11, but so did every single US media person

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bideo James posted:

he called all the bombings in afghanistan revenge for 9/11, but so did every single US media person

Afghanistan being portrayed as "the good war" after the failures of Iraq started piling up was a really good pr trick

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vomik posted:

lmao. I did some quick calculations using population data from 2015 and after this i think ~ 60% of the population live under taliban rule and only 40% under the afghan govt. if kabul goes to the taliban that number will shift like 75% to taliban and 25% to afghan govt.

If kabul goes will there even be an afghan govt

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

If kabul goes will there even be an afghan govt

yeah it's goin' last

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

i say swears online posted:

yeah it's goin' last

Ah this is one of those hope dies last jokes.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Palladium posted:

2. ???
3. Win

Not going to happen. The Chinese are clever but I think they are going to make the mistake that the Taliban are not as clever as them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

T-Paine posted:

Love the needless double negative there. I think they knew how absurd it would be to title the article "How to Win In Afghanistan"

its way easier to not lose, you just have to never leave

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

the awkward laughter transitioning to krusty the klown noises

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

the awkward laughter transitioning to krusty the klown noises

https://twitter.com/nocontextafgwar/status/1420012553992876048/photo/1

I'm in love with your Imperialism