Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ASAPI posted:

That launch is going to be interesting to watch. Part of me always wants it to blow up (you know, explosions are cool), but I also want it to work.

They hooked up 29 engines in like a day. Two at the outside. I think it's almost guaranteed to blow up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Kesper North posted:

They hooked up 29 engines in like a day. Two at the outside. I think it's almost guaranteed to blow up!

Right???

If this thing works as designed, I will be amazed.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
On the one hand, gently caress Musk.

On the other hand, he doesn’t have much to do with SpaceX.

On the third hand, explosions are cool.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FrozenVent posted:

On the one hand, gently caress Musk.

On the other hand, he doesn’t have much to do with SpaceX.

On the third hand, explosions are cool.

:same:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s the best chance we’ve got at ejecting him from this planet

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

Said business end of the super heavy booster.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1423041198764265473?s=21

(Yeah it’s Musk’s Twitter. It was retweeted by the SpaceX account)

Size comparisons:

It’ll be the biggest thing ever launched if it works.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 7, 2021

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Thwomp posted:

Said business end of the super heavy booster.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1423041198764265473?s=21

(Yeah it’s Musk’s Twitter. It was retweeted by the SpaceX account)

Man, what does that remind me of?

Oh yeah, N1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gklVhRzkVqA

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
So it's bigger and worse than something we made 50 years ago.

Yeah, this dude is truly the da Vinci of our time.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, they've either developed an engine design and installation process that's literally orders of magnitude faster than anything done previously, or they skipped every possible check and verification that you would normally do and something's absolutely going to blow up.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

A Bad Poster posted:

I hate Musk as the next lefty, but it's not really apples to apples- the Saturn 5 wasn't reusable.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

gently caress musk but SpaceX has done some poo poo that was legit science fiction a decade ago. A totally reusable stack and LANDING it has pushed the other booster makers who were coasting on 60s ICBM tech.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Arven posted:

I hate Musk as the next lefty, but it's not really apples to apples- the Saturn 5 wasn't reusable.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part of it.

If only it was actually owned by the people paying for it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Man, what does that remind me of?

Oh yeah, N1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gklVhRzkVqA

Just to note, aside from sharing a design featuring many engines in the first stage, the N1 was a very different (and extremely flawed) vehicle.

I believe it would’ve worked fine had the soviets better quality engines and plumbing.

Not to say SpaceX does, we’ll see when they try to light it. But Super Heavy does have a “simpler” system.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 7, 2021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Welp, looks like the Rogan has some concerns that he'd like to propagate to his dudebro audience
https://twitter.com/feraljokes/status/1423759979148873731?s=19

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
So uh, am I late to the party reading about the (at the time) acting SecDef's instructions to the NG about 1/6?

EDIT:

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 7, 2021

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Thwomp posted:

Just to note, aside from sharing a design featuring many engines in the first stage, the N1 was a very different (and extremely flawed) vehicle.

I believe it would’ve worked fine had the soviets better quality engines and plumbing.

Not to say SpaceX does, we’ll see when they try to light it. But Super Heavy does have a “simpler” system.

Super Heavy also has the advantage of being in a full on Kerbal-style prototyping process. They are totally fine with blowing up prototypes until the bugs are worked out. This is mostly possible because the thing is just a giant stainless-steel water tower with some fancy piping. If it was made out of any other more expensive material they'd be stuck in the labs trying to simulate everything for decades like every other rocket company before now.

Musk is freaking weird but there's an army of extremely talented people working for him at all his companies. It's an awkward thing of not wanting to give credit to the narcissistic super-billionaire, but all this work would not have happened if he had not dumped billions into what would otherwise be a crack dream.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Elon Musk is totally uninvolved with space x apart from as a name. Source is goons in adjacent industries in yospos and the space thread.

Also Elon Musk is a marketing genius but he is in no way an engineer or software developer of any significant talent. But God drat does he do words good infront of execs and VC/PE firms.

Tesla is bad, starlink is loving idiotic and I use mr.musk as an eyeball on someone's ability to know when they're being bullshitted. If you wanna go for a ride go read the Musk threads in dnd and yospos

E: his engineers can be the best in the world but the underpinning technology are outdated dead ends. Tesla batteries, their self driving lidar solution (lmao no object permanence) and starling as a concept itself is loving stupid as hell when any critical eye is cast over the use case and potential market.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

So uh, am I late to the party reading about the (at the time) acting SecDef's instructions to the NG about 1/6?

EDIT:

:stare:

JFC.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Why is that surprising? Honestly asking as a civilian.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

That Works posted:

It's basically giving them orders to look but not touch no matter what happened, and to make sure they followed orders they wouldn't allow them to have anything to protect themselves.

Pretty much they knew something was probably going to happen, and whatever it was going to be they didn't want images of soldiers trying to stop it to be in the news.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That Works posted:

Because in context of the threat intelligence the FBI, DHS and other agencies had at the time, everyone knew poo poo was likely going to go down and the acting SecDef hamstrung the DCNG’s ability to respond to it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
You can also put a less sinister spin on it, and realize they that they were (and should have been ) terrified of the optics of the US military aggressively putting down a riot in the nation's capital.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A Bad Poster posted:

It's basically giving them orders to look but not touch no matter what happened, and to make sure they followed orders they wouldn't allow them to have anything to protect themselves.

Pretty much they knew something was probably going to happen, and whatever it was going to be they didn't want images of soldiers trying to stop it to be in the news.

One would think soldiers exist, in part, to put down traitors and rebellions.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Because in context of the threat intelligence the FBI, DHS and other agencies had at the time, everyone knew poo poo was likely going to go down and the acting SecDef hamstrung the DCNG’s ability to respond to it.

Do you have specifics of what they knew?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

You can also put a less sinister spin on it, and realize they that they were (and should have been ) terrified of the optics of the US military aggressively putting down a riot in the nation's capital.

Alternatively, the least sinister thing would be no one wanted to get Trump all mad that someone called the cops on “his people”.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Welp, looks like the Rogan has some concerns that he'd like to propagate to his dudebro audience
https://twitter.com/feraljokes/status/1423759979148873731?s=19

Well... at least he waited five months to say that kinda bullshit, the fighters I know have already gotten vaccinated, but they worship rogan like some sorta messiah.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

GD_American posted:

There are plenty of police in DC before you'd need NG as a last resort. I don't blame them at all for putting this out due to posse comitatus and the optics of the response to BLM in the summer.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

A Bad Poster posted:

Worse how? Shut up dude. Space X is doing a lot of cool poo poo.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

AFStealth posted:

Worse how? Shut up dude. Space X is doing a lot of cool poo poo.

I think they were referring to the BBC graphic above that claims the smaller Saturn V carries 18k kg more

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

US Berder Patrol posted:

I think they were referring to the BBC graphic above that claims the smaller Saturn V carries 18k kg more

The thing not noted about that is that the Starship (god I hate that name -- it's not an interstellar vessel, so it's not a fuckin' starship) has a design payload of about 100,000 kg to LEO, GEO, trans-lunar injection, and eventually trans-Mars injection. Saturn V's TLI payload capacity was 40,000 kg by comparison.

Whether or not this ends up being the actual case, we'll have to see, but in theory it's specced to be able to move 100 tonnes wherever you need it and still have enough propellant/oxidizer/other necessary wet mass to bring it back to Earth in one piece, not just to LEO and throwing away 90% of the dry mass in the process.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I am legit not sure which would be more damaging to the American democracy: a dead senator/representative or a threatened Soldier correctly or perceiving opportunity, capability, and intent and then opening fire into a crowd.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Thanks for this explanation!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

This is relevant to today’s discourse, believe it or not.

https://twitter.com/SarahTaber_bww/status/1423467248233160704

Holy pro click Batman.

That thread just got better and better. Thanks for sharing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I will say that if any of you ever find yourself in our going through Huntsville, Alabama, BY ALL MEANS take at least two hours to stop and see the Marshall Flight Center. Walking under a suspended, dissected Saturn V is breathtaking. And if you have any kind of mechanical bent, the exhibits showing some of the engineering, numbers and just pure goddamned brute motherfucking force on that thing are amazing. It was burning tons of fuel per second; they had to design a whole new kind of pump that could run at 18,000 rpm to get enough fuel out, and be able to handle freezing, corrosive rocket fuel. Even the swash plates in the booster tunnels had a neat story behind them.

It's truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

GD_American posted:

I will say that if any of you ever find yourself in our going through Huntsville, Alabama, BY ALL MEANS take at least two hours to stop and see the Marshall Flight Center. Walking under a suspended, dissected Saturn V is breathtaking. And if you have any kind of mechanical bent, the exhibits showing some of the engineering, numbers and just pure goddamned brute motherfucking force on that thing are amazing. It was burning tons of fuel per second; they had to design a whole new kind of pump that could run at 18,000 rpm to get enough fuel out, and be able to handle freezing, corrosive rocket fuel. Even the swash plates in the booster tunnels had a neat story behind them.

gently caress. Going on my list. If I ever make it there

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GD_American posted:

It rules. One of my friends got married under the main engines of the first stage several years ago.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

piL posted:

I am legit not sure which would be more damaging to the American democracy: a dead senator/representative or a threatened Soldier correctly or perceiving opportunity, capability, and intent and then opening fire into a crowd.

Well not a soldier, but a cop did open fire and kill a trespasser. That didn't seem to break GOP brains anymore than usual, which tells me that a dead rep probably would've hit a lot harder. That is of course if we keep this apples to apples, 1 soldier killing 1 rioter. If 1 soldier deemed a line of trespassers all a threat (which they were) and mows a bunch of them down, that would probably be a lot worse yeah.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Waroduce posted:

E: his engineers can be the best in the world but the underpinning technology are outdated dead ends. Tesla batteries, their self driving lidar solution (lmao no object permanence) and starling as a concept itself is loving stupid as hell when any critical eye is cast over the use case and potential market.

Tesla doesn’t use LIDAR, their tech is entirely visual based. I know what you’re about to say, but it’s the Bitcoin effect - I must be explaining it wrong!

Also having the world’s greatest engineers is useless if you fire them off the production line for disagreeing with you.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

piL posted:

Depends on which senator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I warned you about stairs bro

https://www.wptv.com/lifestyle/taste-and-see/vocal-anti-vaccine-broadcaster-dies-from-covid-19-complications