Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I'm enjoying Ethersea, but I wish Justin had picked a character voice that wasn't a whisper. I genuinely can't hear him sometimes when I listen to it at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Warbird posted:

Post your URL if you don't mind. I don't think I could swing a gaping anus mug, but I'd be down for a nice bespoke coffee holder.

https://pottery.biz

(for real. links to my Etsy store :coal:)

direct link in case that fucks up:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/101213450/goatse-mug

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Empty Sandwich posted:

https://pottery.biz

(for real. links to my Etsy store :coal:)

direct link in case that fucks up:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/101213450/goatse-mug

Ty ty. I need to sit down and pick out a piece at some point. Love the goat man, but the family might have some thoughts about it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Warbird posted:

Ty ty. I need to sit down and pick out a piece at some point. Love the goat man, but the family might have some thoughts about it.

I will tell you my favorite purchase story.

a customer was socially obliged to do a handwashing ritual (netilat yadayim, iiuc) before eating. she thought it was bullshit, but couldn't not do it bc of social obligations.

the ritual must be performed with a two-handled vessel, and this was her protest against having to do the thing.

it isn't really salient. I just love that story.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Avast ye mateys

Ship 2 ship combat requires more punch ships, a la Outlaw Star

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
New BDG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS4kjOsSooM

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Griffin's ship combat system is super cool and I dig it a lot. Ethersea is popping off hard.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Griffin's ship combat system is super cool and I dig it a lot. Ethersea is popping off hard.

I'm trying to wait until Ethersea has a "complete" arc or 2 before plunging in. Is the story designed in a way where that'd be possible? I think it really helped me like late Balance and Amnesty by not having to wait 2 weeks at a time in the middle of things.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Froghammer posted:

yeah i really dig the "every round one ship is in position and one isn't, and that defines your ability selection" system, makes it fun while totally abstracting out any maneuvering, which would be horrible to deal with in any concrete way over audio

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

I am pruning one of my bonsais today and needed this

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Crushing news for the fourth fifth McElroy brother:
https://twitter.com/variety/status/1423785778845523970

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jestery posted:

I am pruning one of my bonsais today and needed this

man, if a schefflera living or dying had a supernatural effect on ones finances I’d be a loving billionaire, those things are bulletproof

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Justin McElroy has volunteered himself to be sacrificed at the altar of "game critic gets heated about a game's quality after only getting a little bit in."

Justin sucks, imo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Justin McElroy has volunteered himself to be sacrificed at the altar of "game critic gets heated about a game's quality after only getting a little bit in."

Justin sucks, imo

did the nier thing come up recently or did he do it again

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Alaois posted:

did the nier thing come up recently or did he do it again
I assume this is about the latest Besties when he complains about the quality of the writing in the Great Ace Attorney but seemingly hasn't gotten past the first case

I dunno, I think it's a fine opinion. VNs or Animes or anything like that is something that you have to give yourself over to willingly. If you come in with a skeptical eye it will usually seem dumb.

The podcast made me more willing to play the game, not less. I played the first three back in the day and don't have a huge fondness for the series but the way people talk about the big turnaround moments in the cases gives me an excited nostalgic feeling.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is anyone even mad at him? I follow a lot of that fandom and most reactions seemed to be 'oh, come on dude you gotta play more than just the intro case before you make sweeping criticisms' than "BURN THE HERETIC WHO DOES NOT LIKE GAME"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It really wasn't a big deal but it was wild how strongly he felt when he essentially finished the tutorial levels. There were legit criticisms in the episode too, and they were valid. But anytime Justin "FMV quest" McElroy is down on a game I'm always going to take note.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Justin loving sucks but Ethersea is good. RIP Emory who sounded like Frank Smith

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Shinjobi posted:

It really wasn't a big deal but it was wild how strongly he felt when he essentially finished the tutorial levels. There were legit criticisms in the episode too, and they were valid. But anytime Justin "FMV quest" McElroy is down on a game I'm always going to take note.

He also savaged the latest Zelda remake but everyone was being critical.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I haven't listened to the Besties ep, but what did Griffin say? He was just talking about how great the new Ace Attorney is on Wonderful.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
for having worked as game journalists for so long they're all incredibly bad at engaging with game systems that they don't immediately click with or understand, and i had to stop listening to the Besties because it was filling my jogs with angry scoffs

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I think the game journalist part hurts more than it helps lol since their perspective is based on “have to play as much of this game as I possibly can in a short window of time, then pass judgement on the whole game” and for whatever reason, games as a medium tend to frontload either their best or their worst parts

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Bonaventure posted:

for having worked as game journalists for so long they're all incredibly bad at engaging with game systems that they don't immediately click with or understand, and i had to stop listening to the Besties because it was filling my jogs with angry scoffs

Isn’t that pretty typical of game journalists though? I don’t know, I don’t read game reviews, but it seems to be a common complaint about them

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

misadventurous posted:

I think the game journalist part hurts more than it helps lol since their perspective is based on “have to play as much of this game as I possibly can in a short window of time, then pass judgement on the whole game” and for whatever reason, games as a medium tend to frontload either their best or their worst parts

yea as easy as the jokes are it's genuinely 'a thing' where game journalists have a lot of trouble giving a lot of games a totally fair shot because A) it's likely one of many games they have to play as far as possible for the same general timeframe, and B) because a lot of games frontload things so it's incredibly easy to get a snapshot of a game that isn't actually 100% accurate.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Fan animation of the aftermath of Justin asking Canada to hook him up with those KD boosters. Love the expressions here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9qC6bsCVKs

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jet Jaguar posted:

Fan animation of the aftermath of Justin asking Canada to hook him up with those KD boosters. Love the expressions here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9qC6bsCVKs

I have a friend who will swear on her newly born child's life that KD 'hits different' than normal mac and that she can 100% taste the difference but I'm pretty sure that's just Canada Bias seeping in.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

I have a friend who will swear on her newly born child's life that KD 'hits different' than normal mac and that she can 100% taste the difference but I'm pretty sure that's just Canada Bias seeping in.

Canadians like the tragically hip so all their other dumb Canada opinions should politely go in the trash.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The Besties is a pretty weird podcast, to be honest. Justin and Griffin say "I don't really have time for video games much anymore" every week, Russ rarely has much to say, so that just leaves Chris, who wants to have deeper conversations about games but his co-hosts absolutely do not meet him on that level, so he just kinda flounders around. Very weird vibes.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Sankara posted:

The Besties is a pretty weird podcast, to be honest. Justin and Griffin say "I don't really have time for video games much anymore" every week, Russ rarely has much to say, so that just leaves Chris, who wants to have deeper conversations about games but his co-hosts absolutely do not meet him on that level, so he just kinda flounders around. Very weird vibes.

Yeah, The Besties is one guy trying to chat about games with his old gaming group while they don't even pretend to be interested or care because they lost their Spotify paycheck and also moved on to other things. It's a violation of No Bummers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Plante should consider joining Nextlander imo, at least those dads play games sometimes

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

sexpig by night posted:

AFAIK “KD” and “Kraft Mac & Cheese” in the US are the same thing, but yes they both hit like dogshit compared to mac + cheese that’s true

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Lol, they announced they’re going to be touring starting in October. Gotta get that tour money, what virus?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yeah they should definitely just never tour again

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Yeah they should definitely just never tour again

Nah, tours are cool and fine under normal circumstances. (Unless you’re implying that there will never again be normal circumstances. Which… maybe a valid point.)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Didn't they pull in some good money with the virtual stuff? I'd just do that forever.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

besties sounds like a strange kind of podcast purgatory

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pxCOMEIW5o

I guess the opening is getting a full on music video? What? This is a bit more than I expected.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Touring during what will be the beginning of the end of year peak of the COVID delta variant is ridiculously irresponsible and they should be kicked in the nuts over this

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

God I hate that song so much why would you ever want to hear more of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

montaigne would be dumb not to release a full version of a song that tens of thousands of people hear every week