Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

while true this is neither implicit nor explicit in the actual text to the contrary all american hero rick flagg is repulsed by what he learns the implication being that only dumb meathead faux patriots would find wallers argument persuasive

also note how even before that the freedom fighters just think americans are dumbasses they still consider americans natural allies which is an odd opinion to have for people opposed to the american imperium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Some Guy TT posted:

while true this is neither implicit nor explicit in the actual text to the contrary all american hero rick flagg is repulsed by what he learns the implication being that only dumb meathead faux patriots would find wallers argument persuasive

also note how even before that the freedom fighters just think americans are dumbasses they still consider americans natural allies which is an odd opinion to have for people opposed to the american imperium

the rick reaction really stuck out to me as the "good soldier" trope i hate so much, but rick does die for it so that's a lesson. the freedom fighters are a mess, however you gotta remember that even castro was open to an alliance with the US at first. it is not clear what the ideology of the rebels is because that is never talked about

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

anyone else watching The White Lotus on hbo? it's so good, the score is incredible and adds so much to the (already high level of) tension. every character is perfect and the little details (e.g. shane reading malcolm gladwell; the MIL's description of nonprofits) just elevates it all

watching this now btw and its so good as described making good use of my access to hbo max today

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Judakel posted:

even castro was open to an alliance with the US at first

epic fail….

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

epic fail….

did you expect him to be the aggressor with the closest superpower?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ive been watching the white lotus. holy poo poo what a good show. recommended viewing for all of CSPAM for sure

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

babypolis posted:

ive been watching the white lotus. holy poo poo what a good show. recommended viewing for all of CSPAM for sure

more and more people are saying this!

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Lib and let die posted:

i think NCIS is my favorite copaganda to hate watch.

i kind of want to start a documentation project where i hate watch police procedurals and just document everything they do that breaks domestic and international law but they're the good guys for doing it because you're emotionally invested in the character

the amount of pro-israeli poo poo in NCIS is loving staggering, too, it's hilarious

What's the name of the main guy, Gibbs? I remember his actor having a dog or something that would attack the other actors on set, and refusing to do anything about it because they couldn't tell him what to do. I wonder if shows like that, wherein an actor portrays an unstoppable and untouchable cop, make the actors think they're invincible, or if they're naturally good fits for those sorts of roles because they believe that they're invincible.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Judakel posted:

did you expect him to be the aggressor with the closest superpower?

no I was joshing

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

more and more people are saying this!

its so good. every relationship in the show is perfectly sketched out to highlight some aspect of how rich ppls brains are irreversibly broken

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Judakel posted:

It is surprising because you don't normally see it be that obvious in mainstream movies. America was less-explicitly called out as the bad guys in the first one and most of the blame was placed on the shoulders of individuals like Waller. Also, the focus wasn't imperialism, which was my point; not that the US weren't the bad guys. You're a loving clown for conflating prison labor exploitation with imperialism and then claiming people who know what words mean are misreading the movie.

Go back to comic books.

First I read too many comics, now I don't read enough comics

I mean shucks, what's a fella gotta do

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Dammerung posted:

What's the name of the main guy, Gibbs? I remember his actor having a dog or something that would attack the other actors on set, and refusing to do anything about it because they couldn't tell him what to do. I wonder if shows like that, wherein an actor portrays an unstoppable and untouchable cop, make the actors think they're invincible, or if they're naturally good fits for those sorts of roles because they believe that they're invincible.

Yes, and the lady who played the goth tech person on the team left the show because of it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Blood Boils posted:

First I read too many comics, now I don't read enough comics

I mean shucks, what's a fella gotta do

I didn't say you haven't read enough comics. I am starting to see why you keep loving up your reading of what imperialism is

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

babypolis posted:

I liked ATLA and LOK so I'll check it out.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
the trueanon episode about jim caviezel is amazing. it was a bit of a bummer because person of interest rules but still hilarious

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i liked the white lotus pilot, good feel for working at a resort lol

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
idk if The Green Knight got talked about in here with it being a theatrical release but it's good. Watch this dude grow and mature as he goes on an adventure to face his inevitable death.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

white lotus gives off a lot of little big lies vibes but with a fairly crucial element of class consciousness that just didnt exist in little big lies despite nearly all the characters being rich fobs

it still bugs the hell out of me how that one single mom one weird tricks her way into a turborich school district by moving into a cheap house at the edge of the boundary but this is never commented on or treated as relevant in any way to her son being falsely accused of being a psycho bully

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

a major point of discussion in the Green Knight CD thread was that it was boring as gently caress and needed a battle scene to spice things up

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

God Hole posted:

a major point of discussion in the Green Knight CD thread was that it was boring as gently caress and needed a battle scene to spice things up
It true, there's a decapitation but no battles in Green Knight. And A Ghost Story had one death but didn't have any scares!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

God Hole posted:

these boys need their cape movies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is there seriously no swordfight in green knight? lol

got through the first four eps of white lotus, I hate all the characters in a good way. of everyone, Shane and tanya are by far the most realistic resort-goers. molly shannon's speech about nonprofits was fantastic

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
They had money in the budget for a swordfight or cum, not both

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dammerung posted:

Yeah, and the guy that played Hotchner on Criminal Minds left the show because his on-set temper was insanely out of control

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Knight posted:

They had money in the budget for a swordfight or cum, not both

now i gotta see this movie!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

Yeah, and the guy that played Hotchner on Criminal Minds left the show because his on-set temper was insanely out of control

lol he was in dharma and greg

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the suicide squad is the most average movie ever made

polka-dot man was great though

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

would have much rather had polka dot man get an improbable last minute survival than peacemaker

not really clear to me who a peacemaker tv show is supposed to appeal to

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Some Guy TT posted:

would have much rather had polka dot man get an improbable last minute survival than peacemaker

not really clear to me who a peacemaker tv show is supposed to appeal to

apparently no one since the movie is underperforming. can't wait for more comic book movies to eat poo poo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

source? i find this very funny given that the critics have been slobbering all over it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

source? i find this very funny given that the critics have been slobbering all over it

$12m friday, peanuts

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Some Guy TT posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/08/07/the-suicide-squad-box-office-bomb-idris-elba-will-smith-dc-films/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Judakel posted:

apparently no one since the movie is underperforming. can't wait for more comic book movies to eat poo poo

Laughing at James Gunn having a meltdown because Martin Scorsese said superhero movies were stupid.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

quote:

Covid notwithstanding, making a mega-budget sequel to Will Smith's Suicide Squad without Will Smith was always a doomed proposition.

this is the message i have been trying to bring to people all year. when will these blinkered execs learn!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

lol at the suggestion that the second film did bad because too many people saw the first one though, major kier starmer energy eminating from that thought

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
will smith isn't even a draw anymore. the first movie sucked and maybe that did affect the second one's draw, but you also have a virus and the fact most people can't figure out if it is a sequel or a reboot.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tbh i didnt even know this movie was out, did they advertise at all

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

josh04 posted:

lol at the suggestion that the second film did bad because too many people saw the first one though, major kier starmer energy eminating from that thought

Also that josstice league did poorly because of Beavis. This Forbes guy doesn't know poo poo

Judakel posted:

will smith isn't even a draw anymore. the first movie sucked and maybe that did affect the second one's draw, but you also have a virus and the fact most people can't figure out if it is a sequel or a reboot.

If you want big audiences you need a big ad blitz

A lot of ppl who didn't like Ayer's skwad felt betrayed by the dope trailers

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Laughing at James Gunn having a meltdown because Martin Scorsese said superhero movies were stupid.

how boring do you have to be to take issue with what scorsese said. just collect your check man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Judakel posted:

how boring do you have to be to take issue with what scorsese said. just collect your check man

It reminds me of the bizarre war Shadow of the Colossus fans were trying to wage on Roger Ebert back in the day over video games and if they could be considered art. Some people just care a lot about particular things.