Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
There's a difference between saying that democrats, in aggregate according to the posted poll, have expressed support for someone who was behind horrible decisions on voting rights (what he said), and that those democrats specifically support those voting rights decisions (what Rust is claiming he said).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

So can you link the crosstabs on those questions specifically addressing your now repeated claims Democratic voters approve of Robert's VRA decisions please?

Oh my god

fool of sound posted:

There's a difference between saying that democrats, in aggregate according to the posted poll, have expressed support for someone who was behind horrible decisions on voting rights (what he said), and that those democrats specifically support those voting rights decisions (what Rust is claiming he said).

yes thank you, disapproving of horrible anti-civil-rights decisions but approving of the man doing it, is not great!

E:
it's just kinda funny that he gives Republicans like 90% of what they want but they hate his guts because he's somewhat savvy and subtle about it some of the time and they can't tell the difference between that and him being a secret babyeating liberal homosexual
(no I don't have a source that they can't tell the difference but we all know it's true, they call him a homo a lot in the freep thread though)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 6, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

fool of sound posted:

Ah yes, in one case they "grovel before you"

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
w/r/t the +23 on Roberts: most Democrats are not liberals.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

jeeves posted:

w/r/t the +23 on Roberts: most Democrats are not liberals.

How do you get that from the crosstabs on that question? The numbers don't really seem to support you.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 6, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rust Martialis posted:

How do you get that from the crosstabs on that question? The numbers don't really seem to support you.

Do you have some alternative figures or are you JAQing us around?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Harold Fjord posted:

Do you have some alternative figures or are you JAQing us around?

You could go look at the crosstabs yourself if you know how? They're linked above. He's the one making the claim, let him provide the evidence.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Rust Martialis posted:

You could go look at the crosstabs yourself if you know how? They're linked above. He's the one making the claim, let him provide the evidence.

Great so you know how you could demonstrate +23 was wrong, if it was.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Harold Fjord posted:

Great so you know how you could demonstrate +23 was wrong, if it was.

No we're currently on how the +23 result shows "most Democrats are not liberals". It doesn't seem to line up with the crosstabs, you see. They seem to me to indicate it's quite likely most of the respondents who answered probably do identify as liberal. A chunk probably identify as "moderate" , obviously.
I'm happy to take the respondents at their word as to their conservative/moderate/liberal leanings, because litigating what constitutes 'liberal' is frankly pointless.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah people just are what they call themselves. :jerkbag:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

Yeah people just are what they call themselves. :jerkbag:

We're absolutely not going to do "but what does it mean to be a liberal, really?" in this thread.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I didn’t mean to start anything with my comment, it was just kinda my knee jerk reaction to democrats having a favorable opinion of loving Roberts of all people.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Maybe I misread but it seemed like a two digit portion of the population didn't even know who Roberts was and admitted it. I know there had to have been more than zero people who didn't know and wouldn't admit. And then more people whose knowledge begins and ends with like two random cases they remember hearing about, with no idea which justices were on the winning side.

Point is that I don't think "do you approve of" polls are worth a lot in a vacuum, and certainly aren't anywhere near sufficient to read tea leaves of respondents larger worldview.

Also, this is not a thread where you can just use "liberal" without some kind of context. What would they be instead?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Maybe I misread but it seemed like a two digit portion of the population didn't even know who Roberts was and admitted it.

Yeah Roberts had something like 50% of respondents saying either 'no idea who he US's or 'no opinion' about Roberts. (You can get correct numbers from the link, I'm doing this from memory.)

Now Roberts is arguably benefitting from the recent well-watched USSC decisions rejecting the Trump attempts to litigate the election and also to let the NYAG get access to Trump's tax records. Plus "decorum" points as the USSC has a high approval rating broadly, Roberts sees less of a bump but compared to Alito or Thomas, he clearly is seen (falsely, say I) as more moderate.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Honestly, that's more concerning and damning. Of self-described "liberals":

51% hadn't heard of Roberts or didn't have an opinion
30% had a favorable opinion
11% had an unfavorable opinion

So only 11% of "liberals" were actually tuned in enough to have an unfavorable opinion of Roberts and they are outnumbered 3 to 1 by liberals who have been gaslit into having a positive opinion. And of course the "very liberal" folks aren't much better:

46% hadn't heard of Roberts or didn't have an opinion
28% had a favorable opinion
27% had an unfavorable opinion

No wonder there's zero urgency to rebalance the courts or even pressure Breyers into choosing his replacement before we have a 7-2 SCOTUS...

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/marcorandazza/status/1423689464770084871

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

how does this normalize across the other justices…do Democrats just have a higher baseline?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Stickman posted:

So only 11% of "liberals" were actually tuned in enough to have an unfavorable opinion of Roberts and they are outnumbered 3 to 1 by liberals who have been gaslit into having a positive opinion. And of course the "very liberal" folks aren't much better:

No wonder there's zero urgency to rebalance the courts or even pressure Breyers into choosing his replacement before we have a 7-2 SCOTUS...

I've read that the best predictor of a person's political alignment is the alignment of their parents, and I know, like, as an academic fact that most people don't follow this poo poo. But it always shocks me just how little they know.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

This is kind of funny but mostly it's dumb because I'm pretty sure "quartering" doesn't apply at all.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Randazza has always been a bit of a dumbass and has only gotten dumbasser. While I do appreciate potentially legitimate applications of the third amendment (wasn't there one the other year about police temporarily removing people from their apartments while conducting an operation and installing snipers and such?), this is not one. I'm pretty sure reading the filing made me dumber.

tldr: the eviction moratorium is forcing landlords to house people on their property against their will, at least one of the people in the country being housed like this is a soldier, therefore third amendment

I'm not actually convinced this legal group isn't a joke.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Wouldn't this same line of reasoning make all tenant protections inapplicable to soldiers? Or is that covered by "as prescribed by law", but they don't believe that the emergency authority of the CDC is "prescribed by law"?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

drat these assholes shouldn't be allowed to use a loving cool letter like þ

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Stickman posted:

One of those 30% who like Roberts probably drives this car:
https://twitter.com/TryCrying/status/1423664196969975813?s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

loving monkey’s paw. :argh:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

What in tarnation

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I swear there's someone who lives near a junkyard and just mocks up bait cars for twitter to be enraged at because it's just too complete

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Tag yourself, I'm Sinema/Manchin 2024

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Stickman posted:

Fun thing about these polls, i got one of them and the option for political alignment were

Very conservative
Conservative
Moderate
Liberal
Very liberal

And thats it. Absolutely worthless

Also they only had three option for "who did you vote for", qnd the third was explicitly "did not vote". Not even an option for third party lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've read that the best predictor of a person's political alignment is the alignment of their parents, and I know, like, as an academic fact that most people don't follow this poo poo. But it always shocks me just how little they know.

The number of people who can name all the justices is shockingly low. Not "most people are tuned out" shockingly low but "I figured more than 1 percent of the population is tuned in" shockingly low.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 7, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

The number of people who can name all the justices is shockingly low. Not "most people are tuned out" shockingly low but "I figured more than 1 percent of the population is tuned in" shockingly low.

I cant do it, but only cause i cant remember that crazy trump womans name ever

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Groovelord Neato posted:

I went into the crosstabs and while you can quibble with the absolute ordering the relative seems about right accounting for recency biases, other than no one realizing how partisan a hack Alito is and how not-insane Kavanaugh has been.

pre:
Net favorable:
Alito:		+18R, -11D
Barrett:	+53R, -40D
Breyer:		+01R, +22D
Gorsuch:	+27R, -13D
Kagan:		-03R, +34D
Kavanaugh:	+54R, -53D
Roberts:	+04R, +23D
Sotomayor:	-10R, +60D
Thomas:		+43R, -26D

Descending (R)

Descending (D)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Those Alito D numbers are insane, he is by far the worst justice

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Piell posted:

Those Alito D numbers are insane, he is by far the worst justice

For people who are paying attention, sure. But as terrible as he is he's sort of middle of the road as far as publicity goes - Roberts is the Chief Justice and Thomas gets a lot of media attention and internet discussion for being entertainingly weird, and the other three were recent appointees plus the Trump factor.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ulmont posted:

I went into the crosstabs and while you can quibble with the absolute ordering the relative seems about right accounting for recency biases, other than no one realizing how partisan a hack Alito is and how not-insane Kavanaugh has been.
They're fav/unfav ratings, not approval ratings. While those two things may generally correlate I think there's a very good and obvious reason why they may not for Kavanaugh.

Also for Alito it mostly is that no one knows who he is. Alito's -11 is 11fav vs 22 unfav, two thirds have no opinion. Similar for Breyer who is 10/9 for Republicans. Thomas is 19/45 among dems, Barrett is 9/49. So there are two things going on with comparing net ratings like that, one is that among people with an opinion Alito's -11 is pretty close to Thomas' -26, the second is that I think there's a core of decorum Supreme court knowledgeable people who give everyone a base fav rating to start.

Also there's some kind of weighting going on in there that I wonder about :
https://law.marquette.edu/poll/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/MLSPSC03Crosstabs.html#C1:_favunfav:_Alito

3 Another gender people, each giving a different response, each given very different weight.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

I remember her because I always think of Dana Barrett from Ghostbusters.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Supreme Court handmaid ACAB.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is carefully calculated to piss off Berniecrats

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This is carefully calculated to piss off Berniecrats
Sure feels that way

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Also there's some kind of weighting going on in there that I wonder about :
https://law.marquette.edu/poll/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/MLSPSC03Crosstabs.html#C1:_favunfav:_Alito

3 Another gender people, each giving a different response, each given very different weight.

This is extremely common in opinion polling because they usually employ persistent panels with sampling that differs from fully representation in a number of ways, both because of sampling logistics / multiple recruitment strategies and to ensure that smaller groups of interest have adequate sample sizes for sub-population analyses.

The detail their weighting mechanisms in the methodology report. In this case they combine:

- a base weight that adjusts for the the effects of recruiting only one individual per household into the persistent panel, the effects of using both telephone-based and addressed-based sampling schemes for the initial panel recruitment, and the effects of having multiple recruitment sources using each strategy.
- a "raking" post-stratification weight used to adjust the demographics of the final survey sample to the demographic characteristics of the US as a whole. For instance, if women were underrepresented in the final sample relative to the US population, then the responses of women in the sample would be given more weight. They used a bunch of demographics - sex, age, education, race, etc. You can see that the sample proportions mostly match the US distribution but their are a couple of categories that are more heavily weighted: 55+ college educated was overrepresented by about 30% and most of the HS or less categories underrepresented, for example.

Ideally this allows for more accurate and less biased population-level estimates from the survey sample, though raking does risk exacerbating unaccounted sampling biases or increasing estimation if opinions vary more widely within a raked demographic than in the whole population. Polls that report raw percentages without any sort of weighting are typically ignoring sampling bias and producing questionable results.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yeah, I understand sample weighting, but I didn't realize a) the weighting extended to the crosstabs and b) that the weighting could be so strong that one category of person would be given over 3 times the weight of another.

I guess it makes sense to extend it to cross tabs in that now that I think about it, and I never noticed since most pollsters would blank that out as too small of a sample.

Another curiosity:

n being 4 rather than 3 makes the weightings more within the range of weightings I would have expected.