Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Currently Veteran class 2. Any goons wanna party up and hit Master tier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Might have to buy a Buddy Barrier now. I overlooked all those items.

Float Stone is like mobis from lol or tranquil boots from dota. typically good on roaming supports. I dont know if those ar a thing in Pokemon dota yet.

Shell Bell heals for 60 when every mon has minimum 6000 health at 15, and like a 6 second icd. it's bad, but it's the only source of cooldown reduction, and that can be a very strong stat in these games.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

What counts as being in combat, anyway? Is it causing damage/taking damage, proximity, or even using any abilities at all? Do wild Pokemon count? If not the small ones, do the big ones count?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
lol defines in combat as 5 seconds from taking/receiving damage. this game is heavily based off lol so I would guess it's that.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I switched to Buddy Barrier a while ago and I can't imagine using anything else on any Pokemon (except Lucario, apparently!)

One thing I would point out from that recommended item list which might seem odd is that while Alolan Ninetales does special damage with its abilities, the Muscle Band is best because when you sit in your Aurora Veil your basic attacks do more damage. I've been using Scope Lens as my third but I'll try switching to Focus Band to see how it feels. I expect it'll be good for dueling other attackers with similar damage output but it sure as poo poo won't save me from a beastmode Machamp or Lucario!

Also, I just got to Expert playing solo Ninetales for the cosmetic reward. I'm glad this game has the 'good' season rewards at a low rank so that bad players like me can get them; it looks like the rewards for higher ranks at the end of the season are just more Aeos Coins.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Went top to swing bottom for drednaw. pushed bottom just before spawn, dunked, teammates carried on to second tower. They died, enemy team took drednaw, I went back top and wrote off dreadnaw as a lost cause.

Zapdos spawned, enemy team started attacking. I spammed backup center, no one came until I solar beamed Zapdos and the enemy team killed me, then my teammates died 1 by 1 and the enemy team got Zapdos.

Held back after spawn, camped the center tower just into the jungle, managed to keep the enemy Snorlax and cinderace from scoring while the tower was defenseless.

We won 392 to 391.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Sorry if any of you find yourselves being shoved into a wall for 6 seconds straight while my homies beat on you. I'm just laxin' over here. :frogc00l:

Edit: I had a game in which, when faced with having 10 HP, and charging straight for a berry, the bulbasaur on my team ate both and left me for dead. They'd go on to AFK when no one came to their rescue. What I'm trying to say is, there's too many players running for personal glory. People keep preventing my lax from leveling all the time by scooping up my kills. Even when I'm underleveled beating on mobs.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 7, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The complete inability to communicate to a teammate what they did wrong and why is something that's gotta make it really tough for any new player to try and get any better. I mean, obviously I know why there's no chat but it's annoying that my only recourse to try and communicate to someone "you are a slowpoke please stop using water gun to secure last hits on all the Aipoms on the way to lane because now I don't have any energy to dunk and proc Attack Weight with" is to run around in circles wildly

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

War Wizard posted:

Sorry if any of you find yourselves being shoved into a wall for 6 seconds straight while my homies beat on you. I'm just laxin' over here. :frogc00l:

Edit: I had a game in which, when faced with having 10 HP, and charging straight for a berry, the bulbasaur on my team ate both and left me for dead. They'd go on to AFK when no one came to their rescue. What I'm trying to say is, there's too many players running for personal glory. People keep preventing my lax from leveling all the time by scooping up my kills. Even when I'm underleveled beating on mobs.

Sorry but you almost certainly aren’t the priority for last hits, especially at the start where you’re a god amongst mortals

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

the only moments of the game that actually matter are the ones where you'd bother using your ult to secure Dreadnaw/Zapdos

Or in my case, "using your ult to bring Zapdos down to 1hp so the enemy team can get the final hit on it."

Goal doubling goes into effect at the 2:00 mark for both teams and I have squeaked out some wins racking up 2x goals during/after a crowded Zapdos brawl.

Kalko posted:

I switched to Buddy Barrier a while ago and I can't imagine using anything else on any Pokemon (except Lucario, apparently!)

THIS - I main Cramorant and discovering this item (which has no downsides AFAIK) has taken my ults to the next level.

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 7, 2021

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

mfcrocker posted:

Sorry but you almost certainly aren’t the priority for last hits, especially at the start where you’re a god amongst mortals

I generally do not give a single gently caress and farm everything I can even with Snorlax or Eldegoss. I will try to split the opening minions with my lanemate, but anytime I walk anywhere on the map, I'm gonna kill every single wild pokemon on my way there. If I'm strong enough early, I can just poo poo all over the enemy laners and then the attackers on my team can level up easily enough. I'm only Expert rank -- maybe this gets better at Ultra or Master rank when you don't get nearly as many useless lumps masquerading as teammates, but I consider an extra level on my own character, whoever I'm playing, as way more valuable than a level on some random jerk that picked Cinderace but doesn't give a gently caress about objectives or scoring goals and doesn't pay enough attention to the minimap to notice a teamfight happening just offscreen.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Phenotype posted:

I generally do not give a single gently caress and farm everything I can even with Snorlax or Eldegoss.

About mid-Veteran people really seem to have a general sense of the metagame. Every match has a Dreadnaw fight, people save their ults for Zapdos, but also people that realize you don't need to actually do Zapdos if you're ahead, just hang out in the bushes and ambush the enemy if they try it to stop them from doing it. You'll still get people who don't know the mechanical poo poo because how would they, the game never tells you any of that stuff, but this also means that the players who are doing all the small stuff right are at a big advantage when they don't have four clowns totally weighing them down

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Pamela Springstein posted:

Shell Bell heals for 60 when every mon has minimum 6000 health at 15, and like a 6 second icd. it's bad, but it's the only source of cooldown reduction, and that can be a very strong stat in these games.

The Unite amp does that, too. I just found out yesterday when I bought it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Phenotype posted:

I generally do not give a single gently caress and farm everything I can even with Snorlax or Eldegoss. I will try to split the opening minions with my lanemate, but anytime I walk anywhere on the map, I'm gonna kill every single wild pokemon on my way there. If I'm strong enough early, I can just poo poo all over the enemy laners and then the attackers on my team can level up easily enough. I'm only Expert rank -- maybe this gets better at Ultra or Master rank when you don't get nearly as many useless lumps masquerading as teammates, but I consider an extra level on my own character, whoever I'm playing, as way more valuable than a level on some random jerk that picked Cinderace but doesn't give a gently caress about objectives or scoring goals and doesn't pay enough attention to the minimap to notice a teamfight happening just offscreen.

Sure, though this is pretty similar to the players running for personal glory that you're moaning about (though nowhere near as dumb as that Bulbasaur)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

Sure, though this is pretty similar to the players running for personal glory that you're moaning about (though nowhere near as dumb as that Bulbasaur)

That wasn't me! I'm of the mind that you have to play to carry at lower ranks, which is not exactly "personal glory" but being a little more selfish so you can handle more fights without help from your team. I would leave the second berry for the other laner though haha.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Phenotype posted:

That wasn't me! I'm of the mind that you have to play to carry at lower ranks, which is not exactly "personal glory" but being a little more selfish so you can handle more fights without help from your team. I would leave the second berry for the other laner though haha.

Oh I know the Bulba wasn't you, don't worry! I agree with needing to play carry somewhat at lower ranks but you should probably be doing that from the carry role and not hamstringing your actual (bad) carries by nicking their last hits.

Contrary to popular belief, everyone needs some farm in MOBAs and moreso Unite than others but falling behind as an actual carry is utterly miserable and pretty game-losing

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The difference a single level makes in Unite is huge. Losing farm is a big deal because of how short the matches are.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The complete inability to communicate to a teammate what they did wrong and why is something that's gotta make it really tough for any new player to try and get any better.

best part of the game actually. if we're the same rank or playing unranked I don't think most people care to hear what you have to say

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's a double edged sword, in that I cannot communicate any complex concepts to the rest of my team but also I don't hear any slurs, and honestly I'll take that trade.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It’s worth dealing with bad teammates and losing games to not have to deal with negative weinerheads melting down over playing bad at Pokemon.

If you want to be seriously competitive you’d probably get an actual team together anyway.

e: Plus even if communication was better, chances are good everyone would just ignore you anyway. I had a game where I kept asking people to help me with Drednaw, but they didn’t. It didn’t matter since the other team didn’t either, and somehow I got a clutch 100 goal by myself at the end anyway and we won by 102, but it did get me MVP so I was happy.

I’m liking that “spam a ton of small goals to buff your strength” strat as Talonflame. Whether it works long-term is another thing, but it’s nice that it’s different from the usual start.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 7, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

drat, 5-game win streak in ranked, last three with Talonflame. Flamebird owns.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lack of ingame comms only matters if you aren't a full stack thoughl

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Played a game where two people claimed jungle and then neither of them went there.

I peeled off my lane to do it instead, but I sure wish I hadn’t been Crustle.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I only play half-mast.

Also as soon as I bragged I sucked and lost the next two games bad and I’m gonna cry now.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I feel like Eldegoss is the one mon you can really justify Exp Share on. Do I have Eldegoss, no, do I have Exp Share, no.

e: the only thing i believe about Mr. Mime is that he was involved in 9/11

Bogart fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 7, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You can justify anything with anything, all you have to do is believe in yourself, and believe in your Pokemon.

e: If you don't believe in your Pokemon you can go gently caress yourself.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm glad they made my dumb fire lizard less lovely

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I need to unlock greninja, set it as my favourite, then sit on it til the very last second before switching to cramorant or snorlax. I can't take the 0 pts 0 kills 1 assist greninja players anymore they dragged me from expert class 5 to class 4 multiple times now.

In the rare case I am on a team with a defender instead of 4 junglers, cramorant is insanely fun. The off screen kills make this horrible game worth it.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Phenotype posted:

...doesn't pay enough attention to the minimap to notice a teamfight happening just offscreen.

Oh I see that fight happening. But ya'll (not specifically anybody here) took every. single. kill. from me so now I'm too underleveled to even engage. So I'm just gonna beat up mobs while you're distracted so I can finally level. If you starve teammates (even snorlax) to the point that they're under the average level by 2, then stop stealing their kills in a drive-by. You can't blame people for not joining in fights they're doomed to die in when you helped put them in the situation.
Edit: that said, stealing kills from completely clueless teammates may be necessary. You can still win with afk teammates since they won't be pulling any mob exp for themselves. But clueless people end up eating mobs and getting nothing out of it (*throws self into 1v3 on opposing lane side*)

On another note, some friends and I got a 4 person team going in the same room and it's crazy how much some simple verbal communication (there, Now, hold it, see it, on my way) goes to helping steamroll a bunch of randos.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 7, 2021

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I got Machamp and he owns. I'll take running at a guy and suplexing them to death over "maybe hit and slow a guy" Charizard any day.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I refuse to spend my game gold until they release my friends Squirtle and Torchic. Or Scyther. Or Aggron.

Basically none of the current crop are that interesting to me. I guess a non-Eldegoss healer would be cool.

For game chat, I was in a match that I lost by 3 points today. Feels bad.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
is there a discord for anyone playing today?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I feel like outside of just sheer early domination, there is no reason to try to contest the tier 2 towers, especially when the super jump is in play or the quick respawns. Better off backing up and leveling for the Drednaw and Zapdos fights.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

War Wizard posted:

Oh I see that fight happening. But ya'll (not specifically anybody here) took every. single. kill. from me so now I'm too underleveled to even engage. So I'm just gonna beat up mobs while you're distracted so I can finally level. If you starve teammates (even snorlax) to the point that they're under the average level by 2, then stop stealing their kills in a drive-by. You can't blame people for not joining in fights they're doomed to die in when you helped put them in the situation.

Does this really happen to you very often? Snorlax in particular is easy to kill secure with early, Tackle does a huge chunk of damage so you can always just hold it til the wild pokemon has 20% health left. It's rare that someone's specifically trying to KS every minion that you wouldn't be able to get a decent chunk this way.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I've only had about 2 games where it was so bad, that it really felt like the team had it out for me. But there's a million examples of me wailing on some mob just for a friendly Absol to run in, take the kill, then gently caress off forever. Well poo poo. Whatever. I'll go kill some other mob, poo poo, here comes Charizard to knock off the last 1% with his breath hits, lol, guess I need to get my burst damage more exact.

It's just frustrating when it happens, and it's not like they're helping me take down any mobs. They just see a mob with low HP and decide it's easy pickings.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The way that I've started to look at the game is in chunks of two minutes, and I've got certain things I need to accomplish within that amount of time. Obviously, you can't count on something like "destroy all enemy goals" or stuff that's too far out of your control, but setting level goals for yourself is really important in my mind. I want to be level six before the 7min mark for the Dreadnaw rotation, level 13 before Zapdos. If I'm not hitting those timings, you can bet I'm AFK farming sidelane Audinos until I hit it. Using my ult as soon as I see an opportunity to secure two kills just for the EXP, you can get two or three ult uses and still have it be up by Zapdos so long as you use it early.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Finally reached Expert level, and I'm really starting to click with Talonflame. Still makes lots of dumb mistakes and have some bad games, but when it comes together, sniping goals and using raw bird strength to overwhelm my opponents is pretty sweet. Hell, if nothing else I sometimes distract the enemies long enough to let my opponents score goals (like my last game, I kept a Crustle busy while the ally Crustle nearby scored a fat 100-burger in front of their goal). I'm even starting to jump between movesets depending on the rest of my team, focusing on ever pure bird strength or enjoying bouncing all over the place and running away with Fly.

It helps I don't need to give a poo poo about MVPs, so I'm better off helping teammates score their fat point stacks and score with scraps.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I end a fair number of games with really low points scored because my goal is to win us the teamfight, I'm not going for a big dunk unless every enemy is dead (never) and if I die and take two or three enemies with me that's a worthwhile trade.

Also, I cant remember who but someone said "dont take fly" and I think that's very incorrect, Fly is a MUCH more reliable escape move because you don't have to aim the icon and wait for the small charge-up, it's just an instant nope-out escape and that's really valuable in a game where you're ahead in levels (which you should be as a speedster/jungle) and are a big EXP pinata for a losing team

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah I end a fair number of games with really low points scored because my goal is to win us the teamfight, I'm not going for a big dunk unless every enemy is dead (never) and if I die and take two or three enemies with me that's a worthwhile trade.

Also, I cant remember who but someone said "dont take fly" and I think that's very incorrect, Fly is a MUCH more reliable escape move because you don't have to aim the icon and wait for the small charge-up, it's just an instant nope-out escape and that's really valuable in a game where you're ahead in levels (which you should be as a speedster/jungle) and are a big EXP pinata for a losing team

I said don't take Fly before the balance patch, now it's the better option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It really depends on what your priority is. Brave Bird's better if you want to poo poo out damage and don't really value your own longevity, while Fly's better if you value surviving over everything else. Both are solid, and both depend a lot on your team composition, and maybe even where you're focusing.