Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Combat Pretzel posted:

The context menu thing pisses me off insofar that I can't start task manager anymore purely via mouse only.

It's still in the Start Menu's right click menu, just not the taskbar's. I don't know why they're against having options in the task bar's context menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Hungry Computer posted:

I don't know why they're against having options

"Sorry, Windows is now a Touch First interface, and when we say, 'Touch First', we mean, 'Touch Only'. This has worked well in the past."

The folks in charge of Windows UX are remarkably incompetent.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They’re somehow always more incompetent than the low standard set by earlier Windows UX people

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

They’re somehow always more incompetent than the low standard set by earlier Windows UX people

Actually though. Windows 10 felt like I was giving up features to get a DX12 vs Windows 7. Windows 11 isn't coming with a real version of DX, so it's features would need to stand on their own, and so far, it's just a massive regression...again. I guess we'll see how long I can ride out Windows 10.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

that would destroy 60% of the productivity of people in the office.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
It sounds like they're doing a ground up rewrite of the start menu/task bar so some features getting dropped during a preview release isn't unexpected. The main concern is whether they go to full release without those features, which hopefully shouldn't be necessary since I think the scale of their work is a lot smaller than the Control Panel migration that is still ongoing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I still absolutely cannot believe it’s been like 5 years and they couldn’t fully redesign the Control Panel, lol

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jokes posted:

I still absolutely cannot believe it’s been like 5 years and they couldn’t fully redesign the Control Panel, lol

Absolutely amazing. I guess they didn't have a couple of interns they could give it to or something.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

jokes posted:

If you count from the release of windows 8 it’s been 9 years.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm really OK with that. Every Metro replacement for the Control Panel has been worse than the designs from '98.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've grown grudgingly accepting of Settings in Windows 10, but the Control Panel is so much better at actually presenting data and letting me work with it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Hungry Computer posted:

Start Menu's right click menu

:aaa:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Yeah, I'm really OK with that. Every Metro replacement for the Control Panel has been worse than the designs from '98.

I’d say this is just a further indictment

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

isndl posted:

It sounds like they're doing a ground up rewrite of the start menu/task bar so some features getting dropped during a preview release isn't unexpected. The main concern is whether they go to full release without those features, which hopefully shouldn't be necessary since I think the scale of their work is a lot smaller than the Control Panel migration that is still ongoing.

They aren’t communicating a drat thing about it one way or the other

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Combat Pretzel posted:

The context menu thing pisses me off insofar that I can't start task manager anymore purely via mouse only.

Just right click on the start button instead. This article is just referring to the separate context menu for the empty part of the taskbar

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jokes posted:

I recently put Windows 10 on my new computer, and my initial impression is so clunky compared to 7. Today I noticed that when I change languages (Shift-Alt, at least that's unchanged), it shows a little pop-up on the right side of the screen. Ok fair, I don't want it though.
No matter what changes I make to the language bar settings, it remains there. Hidden? Stays there. Docked in taskbar? Stays there.
All I want is the icon on the taskbar, have that change from ENG to EL or whatever.

Unless my Windows isn't saving the setting or something, I guess.

After some research, it appears that it's an option that was added, and can't be removed.
Thanks?

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 7, 2021

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
When I hit Alt-Shift to change languages nothing pops up unless I keep holding either shift or alt
oh god now that I'm doing it it's popping up more; will not investigate further in case it makes the popup always appear

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I'm sure this has been posted about ITT already but I just started using the Windows 10 "your phone" program with my burner android phone and holy poo poo this thing is actually pretty awesome.

I've wanted a feature like this for a long time.

I also really like how you can set different profiles for different computers.

I've always wanted to be able to make calls from the computer like you can with Mac OS/iPhone.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm sure this has been posted about ITT already but I just started using the Windows 10 "your phone" program with my burner android phone and holy poo poo this thing is actually pretty awesome.

I've always wanted to be able to make calls from the computer like you can with Mac OS/iPhone.

So, depending on your carrier, there is a much, much better solution to this: Google Messages. The problem I've always had with the Your Phone app is that it is indeed tethered to your phone, which is a poor implementation. Messages just acts as the head, and just uses your SIM creds to facilitate activity.

I have Google Fi and so Messages is a seamless experience, but I think it works with most Android carriers.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

64bit_Dophins posted:

It looks like it's pretty gimped unless you have a Samsung phone or a Surface device.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It looks like it's pretty gimped unless you have a Samsung phone or a Surface device.

Seemed to work just fine between my P3A and desktop machine

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Seemed to work just fine between my P3A and desktop machine

Will it pass messages from something other than Messages? I've been using KDE Connect on Linux and it lets me read and reply to messages from a 3rd party app.

Running phone apps on the desktop would be awesome, but it looks like that only works with Samsung and Microsoft devices.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Will it pass messages from something other than Messages? I've been using KDE Connect on Linux and it lets me read and reply to messages from a 3rd party app.

Only via notifications - replying to them that way works as long as they do on your phone though

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I would say if you use a samsung and only use a samsung and will only use a samsung, the MS feature is actually not too bad. As soon as multiple phones come into the mix or non samsung, the uh, agnosticism of google is pretty nice.

My problem with services that windows provides like the phone thing is that they tend to poof as soon as you leave the environment, where as google messages can be accessed from a banana

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've been testing it out for the past day and so far I haven't had any issues with my Poco M3 at home.

I went out to the laundromat to try and 'field test' it (there are not many reasons for me to take a laptop outside bc I work from home). Anyways, I load up my laundry, whip out my laptop, tether it to the phone and find that the MS phone app is no longer working. I check the settings and find that there is a setting called 'sync over mobile data'. I check this and it continues working as intended.

I actually got a lot of work done - I'm surprised how fast mint wireless can be via tehtered (that was my first time really using it tbh).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My iPhone (8, 64Gb) shows up in my Microsoft account, but the app does literally nothing. I was excited when I first found it; I was looking for a way to easily transfer files without having to resort to iCloud/Google Drive fuckery.
Nope!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

DerekSmartymans posted:

My iPhone (8, 64Gb) shows up in my Microsoft account, but the app does literally nothing. I was excited when I first found it; I was looking for a way to easily transfer files without having to resort to iCloud/Google Drive fuckery.
Nope!

It only works if you have an Android phone...

I think you get extra features if you have a Samsung phone but yeah kind of a bummer...

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

So, depending on your carrier, there is a much, much better solution to this: Google Messages. The problem I've always had with the Your Phone app is that it is indeed tethered to your phone, which is a poor implementation. Messages just acts as the head, and just uses your SIM creds to facilitate activity.

I have Google Fi and so Messages is a seamless experience, but I think it works with most Android carriers.

You can set up multiple windows 10 devices to sync with the same phone.

I have my two laptops and my desktop all connected to the same phone and so far I have not had an issue.

I did have to change a setting on my phone to allow the phone to sync over mobile data. Before I did this I had some issues refreshing the messages inbox. After that though it seems to be working (for now).

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 9, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Is there a nice PS script or something that will nuke the WindowsApps stuff for when I shove these two SSDs in a new PC? I can do it manually but you know..effort and all.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I could also ask this in the virt thread, but is anyone aware of why a Hyper-V install of Ubuntu Server would periodically lose ipv4 connectivity when ipv6 is enabled? The virtual switch setting in Hyper-V is external so that Ubuntu shares the same ethernet as the Windows host. The ethernet is also Intel, not Realtek.

When I disable ipv6 on my network gear, Ubuntu Server stays up fine and reports eth0 as having only an ipv4 address. If I enable ipv6, Ubuntu Server grabs an ipv4 and ipv6 address, but loses ipv4 after an hour or two and then only shows an ipv6 address. I have not yet tried enabling ipv6 on the network and then disabling ipv6 on the Windows host to see if that gives me the best of both worlds. Anyone have any idea what could be the matter?

Edit: When Ubuntu Server ipv4 goes down, the Windows host is unaffected. Intel drivers are newest available on Intel's site. Windows is updated to the newest main branch, 21h1, I think. It really seems to be just an issue with Hyper-V hating ipv4+ipv6.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 10, 2021

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I did the update thing today and now my settings panel has this shiny lovely new header thing that tells me to switch my browser to Edge and some crap about Rewards on it too, how can I remove this header from the panel??? Please tell me there's a GPO for this.

Security updates my rear end.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Na get used to it. A lot more of that coming.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Im_Special posted:

So I did the update thing today and now my settings panel has this shiny lovely new header thing that tells me to switch my browser to Edge and some crap about Rewards on it too, how can I remove this header from the panel??? Please tell me there's a GPO for this.

Security updates my rear end.

That banner has been around since 20H1. You must have removed it last year, and then forgotten it was ever there.

Anyways the previous ways to get rid of it don't work anymore, give it a week or two until people figure out if there's a new override to deal with it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Klyith posted:

That banner has been around since 20H1. You must have removed it last year, and then forgotten it was ever there.

Anyways the previous ways to get rid of it don't work anymore, give it a week or two until people figure out if there's a new override to deal with it.

Please post in this thread when someone figures out how to get rid of it again.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
That whole web browser note thing feels awfully like MSFT didn't learn their lesson from netscape, huh?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you use Edge, but set it to something else but Bing search, it will nudge you from time to time to switch to the "recommended" settings (ie: Bing search)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I used Edge and it told me to call my parents more often.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fame Douglas posted:

If you use Edge, but set it to something else but Bing search, it will nudge you from time to time to switch to the "recommended" settings (ie: Bing search)

I didn’t know that! Like I said, I can negate about 75% of my troubles with web browsing by using Opera in Dark Mode. It occasionally flakes out of using”My Flow, which is Opera’s sync among browsers feature. I read some websites every day, and I only sync when I’m too tired to read a blog or tech story, and don’t want to bookmark the page but want to read the story or abstract to get into an article further.

Edge pops ‘em up as new tabs 100% of the time. The newer Chromium-based Edge also out performs other browsers hands down (for my interests and needs), so extensions break as time passes and some days I just can’t read the materials at all. I can read by inverting colors on my iPhone, but some sites on the screen ignore my settings of scaling up my fonts and I can’t read even with my readers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Using Edge and Bing got me a $25 Taco Bell gift certificate

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fallom posted:

most compelling reason to switch i've heard so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fallom posted:

Wonder how fast I can fix Granny’s supper and run upstairs, log in, and change Edge’s default search engine to Bing…

I gotta get in on this…