Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Just google "TWEWY [pin name]" and you'll find, like, four charts but I don't recommend doing that until you're finished the game because, like, spoilers.

Yeah of course, I'm just surprised I got it completely by chance haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Far as I can tell, evolutions are always the next one in line in the Pins section in the Records but mutations can skip ahead or even backwards sometimes. Disco Divekick is pin no 32, for example, but it mutates into Killer Princess which is pin no 28. This does make it harder to figure out how to get what you're missing sometimes if you wanna get all 333.

Larryb posted:

Oh yeah, I remember someone mentioning that before. Is there a guide out there that explains which characters can evolve certain pins?

The only sidequest on W3D6 give a Social Network reward that tells you.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

Far as I can tell, evolutions are always the next one in line in the Pins section in the Records but mutations can skip ahead or even backwards sometimes. Disco Divekick is pin no 32, for example, but it mutates into Killer Princess which is pin no 28. This does make it harder to figure out how to get what you're missing sometimes if you wanna get all 333.

Sidequest dive on W3D6 give a Social Network reward that tells you.

Sounds useful, where’s the quest giver?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

By Tower Records, just outside garagara and Vegelovers.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The hands off ability is such a lovely one. I just spent like 10-15 minutes thinking my game was broken because Noise wouldn't fight me.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

FireWorksWell posted:

That's a valid point with hindsight. I didn't necessarily see that as foreshadowing considering [sub]Kanon is nothing but friendly to you while her members were all dicks, unless that's also foreshadowing[/spoiler]

Speaking of foreshadowing, regarding the first week's final boss. Those white antlers are meant to portray he's got Plague noise in him, like with Sho and Taboo noise? I'm only on w3d2 so a yes, no or irrelevant is fine

Pretty sure that's just him being an othello/reversi lunatic.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The hands off ability is such a lovely one. I just spent like 10-15 minutes thinking my game was broken because Noise wouldn't fight me.

The description is incredibly misleading, yeah. I initially thought it meant "disables the countdown until battles automatically begin after you grab a Noise symbol," but no.

For what it's worth, you're not the only one who's equipped that only to wonder "is my game broken"—at least two times in the TWEWY Discord, people have asked "what's going on, why won't Noise fight me" before I ask "do you have the Hands Off dress on" and they realize what's up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

FireWorksWell posted:

Speaking of foreshadowing, regarding the first week's final boss. Those white antlers are meant to portray he's got Plague noise in him, like with Sho and Taboo noise? I'm only on w3d2 so a yes, no or irrelevant is fine

I think it's just supposed to show he's a Reaper, the way the GMs in the first game would grow claws and tails and stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I’m still not entirely clear how Reapers work in this series. I know Players can join their ranks like Beat temporarily did in the first game but does that mean that all of them were former humans/Players? And if so, where does the extra power boost/slight change in appearance they get come from?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’s mentioned in Week 3 of the original that because Beat didn’t personally delete anyone during his stint, he’s in serious danger of fading out as well, so it’s clear that they constantly need to be deleting Players both for sustenance and to ensure that only the cream of the crop win (which is the whole point of the game, from the Composer’s point of view).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Mutations are sometimes just pin evolutions, but other times they can completely change the properties of a pin. Where evolutions are always a straight upgrade. (Aside from an extended cooldown.)

Lotus Aura posted:

The only sidequest on W3D6 give a Social Network reward that tells you.

I got thrown off by a few pins because of that because I thought "oh, this mutation just evolves into a pin I already have" before I realized I was missing some slots with no other ways to fill them in. Best to check every mutation you can if you're missing slots in the pin collection just in case.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Trap wire pins just aren’t worth it for a pin slot, yeah?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

:psyduck: Trap Wire pins are great. They do decent damage and almost always chain things.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

It’s mentioned in Week 3 of the original that because Beat didn’t personally delete anyone during his stint, he’s in serious danger of fading out as well, so it’s clear that they constantly need to be deleting Players both for sustenance and to ensure that only the cream of the crop win (which is the whole point of the game, from the Composer’s point of view).

Thats how Shibuya's reapers work, but not all of them. The Shinjuku game doesn't seem to actually have harrier reapers with Shoka saying something along the lines of getting points for doing whatever your given job is. Even in Shibuya you have the the red hoodies whose only job is putting up walls and maybe taking them back down if you do some minor task for them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first game also featured black hoodie Reapers that usually blocked off optional areas and became enemies you fight late in the game, those guys apparently didn’t make it into the sequel though.

So did all Reapers start off as humans/Players then? Shoka does mention something later on about her and Neku basically being in the same boat (which I took to mean that she was alive at one point)

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Larryb posted:

The first game also featured black hoodie Reapers that usually blocked off optional areas and became enemies you fight late in the game, those guys apparently didn’t make it into the sequel though.

So did all Reapers start off as humans/Players then? Shoka does mention something later on about her and Neku basically being in the same boat (which I took to mean that she was alive at one point)

None of the reapers have ever implied they were anything but former humans to my knowledge? Not that any really talk about themselves that much. Now the angels might be a little different but according to the secret reports even they recruit from players. In first game Kitanji says the Composer has the final say on how many resurrections actually happen in the event of a successful game, and so if they don't feel like bringing you back then you can risk the game again for another chance or apparently join the reapers if you don't want to go through that again or just plain wanna stay dead.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Caidin posted:

None of the reapers have ever implied they were anything but former humans to my knowledge? Not that any really talk about themselves that much. Now the angels might be a little different but according to the secret reports even they recruit from players. In first game Kitanji says the Composer has the final say on how many resurrections actually happen in the event of a successful game, and so if they don't feel like bringing you back then you can risk the game again for another chance or apparently join the reapers if you don't want to go through that again or just plain wanna stay dead.

Makes sense (hell, at the end of this game Joshua even basically tells Neku that he could have a shot at being the new Composer himself if he stayed in the UG) , so who gives them their powers upon attaining reaper status then? I assume it’s the Conductor if not the Composer themselves.

Speaking of which, is it ever explained in any of the secret reports how the main Reapers in both games died in the first place?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 8, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Presumably the Conductor or Game Master can give Reapers their powers because Beat becomes a reaper in the first game while the Composer is unavailable.

And no, the games don't go into how any of the Reapers died. Hell, the first game doesn't even go into how Shiki died. It's not an angle they seem interested in exploring and its kinda irrelevant anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Presumably the Conductor or Game Master can give Reapers their powers because Beat becomes a reaper in the first game while the Composer is unavailable.

And no, the games don't go into how any of the Reapers died. Hell, the first game doesn't even go into how Shiki died. It's not an angle they seem interested in exploring and its kinda irrelevant anyway.

Oh I realize that, just curious if it was ever addressed in any supplemental material.

Reapers can apparently even travel to the RG in some capacity according to a few lines in this game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well yeah, 777 was a Reaper and he's in a band.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All members of Def March are reapers if I recall.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh yeah, almost forgot that was a thing in the first game too (Reapers can apparently hide their wings after all).

Though the rules sort of got flipped on their head in this game since Rindo, Fret, Nagi, and Beat all got pulled into the UG thanks to Shiba while they were still alive. As far as I’m aware every other player really was already dead though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 8, 2021

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I mean honestly I'd prefer to know if they have like, dorms or something somewhere. Unless they also just pass out into whatever limbo it is the players do between missions.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It depends on the continuity. In the game, Futoshi (the tech running the errand for the cough drops and fuse) isn't a reaper and you imprint on him. In the anime, he is part of the reaper team.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Larryb posted:

Oh yeah, almost forgot that was a thing in the first game too (Reapers can apparently hide their wings after all).

Though the rules sort of got flipped on their head in this game since Rindo, Fret, Nagi, and Beat all got pulled into the UG thanks to Shiba while they were still alive (Rhyme and Shiki somehow made it over near the end as well). As far as I’m aware every other player really was already dead though

Rhyme and shiki explicitly do not get brought over. They can see the living crew because they've got high vibes and the living crew are.still alive. Rhyme says she has to talk to Kaie through phone texts and Coco/Pinky through Reaper Creeper because they can't see them

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Rhyme and shiki explicitly do not get brought over. They can see the living crew because they've got high vibes and the living crew are.still alive. Rhyme says she has to talk to Kaie through phone texts and Coco/Pinky through Reaper Creeper because they can't see them

Ah yeah, that makes more sense (since if they were actually in the UG then they’d be able to see Neku)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

if there's one constant in the twewy universe, it's that (major end of game spoilers) joshua is a massive dick

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Artelier posted:

if there's one constant in the twewy universe, it's that (major end of game spoilers) joshua is a massive dick

Most Angels are it would seem aside from maybe Mr. H

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

so... i just finished the credits... and there are save slots???????

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Larryb posted:

Most Angels are it would seem aside from maybe Mr. H

Have you seen what that man charges for coffee

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good point, all Angels are bastards (Haz had his entire city wiped out for the same flimsy reasoning that Joshua once thought about Shibuya until Neku came along and Kubo was just a straight up sadist)

Artelier posted:

so... i just finished the credits... and there are save slots???????

Did you somehow never realize you could save manually for the entire game?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 8, 2021

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Question about W3D2 boss.

What determines who's available during the crucifixion phase? Sometimes Nagi would randomly pop in to help but mostly it was my corner pins that could be used and it wasn't enough to break any of them. I'm sure there's a strategy that doesn't require 300% remix

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

Question about W3D2 boss.

What determines who's available during the crucifixion phase? Sometimes Nagi would randomly pop in to help but mostly it was my corner pins that could be used and it wasn't enough to break any of them. I'm sure there's a strategy that doesn't require 300% remix

I think it might be partially based on your pin setup. That being said, it'll generally be Rindo and Shoka that get spared most of the time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Beat W3D5. This game is so loving good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

How do you view the secret ending? I got all the reports, did all 3 big things in the post game then ran through Another Day just to be sure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How do you view the secret ending? I got all the reports, did all 3 big things in the post game then ran through Another Day just to be sure.

Try going back and beating the Final Day again (unless there’s something else required for it, I personally just watched it on YouTube) as I remember the secret ending of the first game happening after the closing credits.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 8, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Do the actual final boss (not the boss noise version) again.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Araxxor posted:

I think it might be partially based on your pin setup. That being said, it'll generally be Rindo and Shoka that get spared most of the time.

That's what I noticed, I'll have to have to work for that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Araxxor posted:

Funny enough (post game) if Shoka is in your party in Another Day the fight opens with her getting pinned :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just got through Week 2 and man, when i'm not trying to master some garbage pins this game's combat is super good. The boss fights especially have all been really great.

Story's heating up as well though I kinda think Shoka needed another day with the party for her betrayal (and rejoing the party) to really land. Glad she's joined the team though, she's cool and having a 5th pin rules a lot.