Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ShoogaSlim posted:

the second time was because i pressed O to slide down a ladder and my character just let go instead.

Lol classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

can't tell if the combat in ds2 is genuinely better than ds1 already or if it's bc i spent 90% of ds1 using a slow greatsword and ds2 feels much faster in comparison.

a few other tidbits that will take some getting used to:

- resuming sprinting after completely depleting stamina takes way longer

- you have to press the touchbar to get to inventory etc instead of "start" (options)

- healing hp is a slower gradual buildup vs nearly instant like in the three other games i've played BUT you get to move around while using the item which is kinda cool

- i grew to really appreciate the estus flask vs needing to collect healing items, but if it's anything like demon's souls & bloodborne, there'll be an abundance later on

i beat the first forest giant thing boss which was an absolute pushover, but then got up to pursuer and he whooped my rear end. i'm enjoying it so far despite the differences.

edit: oh also this is the first of the series i'm playing where i basically no zero about any of the bosses/areas from youtube or memes or whatever. so it's nice to play something completely fresh. when i got up to sif in ds1 i stopped and turned around to go back later. i legit said out loud "oh gently caress the big rear end wolf" bc i've seen it a dozen times before ever playing it.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 7, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's a secret DS2 trick:

When you eat the little regen stones the regen speed from them stacks up to like 3 times, so you can just pop 3 of them in a row to heal to full and then keep healing for a while longer. They're also cheap enough to just buy 100 early on but I forget where. I want to say maybe at the forest giant bonfire shop?

This is particularly helpful when you find areas that tempt you with treasure in poison fog :ssh:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 7, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I love when people grow to love dark souls 2, its like when a radiohead fan really appreciates Kid A

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I love when people grow to love dark souls 2, its like when a radiohead fan really appreciates Kid A

Checks out: I really appreciate Amnesiac and King of Limbs, and not so much Dark Souls 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dark Souls 2 = Radiohead
Blood born = Coldplay

Don’t @ me

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dark souls 3 = Funkadelic

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

don't worry, i don't wanna :barf:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dark souls 3 = Funkadelic

alright bitch, now we in love :swoon:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

deep dish peat moss posted:

When you eat the little regen stones the regen speed from them stacks up to like 3 times, so you can just pop 3 of them in a row to heal to full and then keep healing for a while longer

Actually, the stone health regen does not continue if at any point you hit max health. Elizabeth mushrooms, however, heal you continuously through the entire duration even if you hit max and lose it again.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Checks out: I really appreciate Amnesiac and King of Limbs, and not so much Dark Souls 2.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

When you eat the little regen stones the regen speed from them stacks up to like 3 times, so you can just pop 3 of them in a row to heal to full and then keep healing for a while longer. They're also cheap enough to just buy 100 early on but I forget where. I want to say maybe at the forest giant bonfire shop?

This is particularly helpful when you find areas that tempt you with treasure in poison fog :ssh:

The old hag that moves to Majula will send infinite of the minor healing stones so you can rely on them and save estus for bigger burst healing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The not so secret DS2 trick is to make sure to put the first 20-odd levels into Adaptability

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Dark Souls 2 = Radiohead
Blood born = Coldplay

Don’t @ me

:chloe:

bloodborne is NiN.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

:chloe:

bloodborne is NiN.

yeah

awful :hehe:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Dark Souls 2 was my first Souls game actually completed. I wouldn't consider the best game but it's still a strong entry.

Also it does not have Demon Ruins. That place sucks out all the fun from Dks1.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Demon ruins and crystal caves are both pretty bad. Big fan of the small forest area after the Archives where everything looks like a flat texture with overexposed lighting.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

everything looks like a flat texture with overexposed lighting.

They were practicing for dark souls 2

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
dragon butts still make me laugh

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Sakurazuka posted:

The not so secret DS2 trick is to make sure to put the first 20-odd levels into Adaptability

Pump ADP till your agility is 100 and you’re in ez mode

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I remember a common takeaway from DS1 was that having jump bound to the same button as run & dodge was a bit clunky, so they addressed it in Dark Souls 2 by mapping it to L3 by default instead.

Which was much, much, much worse.

Dark Souls 2 is still the best one though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did Demon's Souls have a jump button? I wasn't able to find one in the remake

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

haveblue posted:

Did Demon's Souls have a jump button? I wasn't able to find one in the remake

Nope

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
No jumps, no drop attacks, and (until the remake) only 4-directional dodging. It did have the ability to vault / climb up small ledges though, which disappeared in DS1. Apparently it came back in DS2 but I don't remember ever climbing small ledges in that game

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i kinda like L3 jumping in ds2 so far

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just finishing up Neo Twewy and though I said before that the game is good for people who haven't played the first game....something tells me they're gonna pretty lost with some of the stuff that shows up in the final chapter. Like, the general plot stuff is still good, but there are a lot of callbacks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

remember that one random ledge in DeS that you could climb up near the balista thing, is that still in?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Dark Souls 2 = Radiohead
Blood born = Coldplay

Don’t @ me

Dark souls = Nickelback
Bloodborne = a different Nickelback album

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Dark souls = Nickelback
Bloodborne = a different Nickelback album

:stare:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

remember that one random ledge in DeS that you could climb up near the balista thing, is that still in?

no but probably. ill let you know if i ever see it but its doubt due to complete, global, pure black tendecy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
drat this thread has really let itself go

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

fridge corn posted:

drat this thread has really let itself go

Too much ice cream

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey we've all turned to our own vices to get through the past couple years.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I was really into TLOU2 until they decided to throw a two stage boss fight in a dark basement, one hit kills and on top of that, there's 2 bosses and one of them is invincible/isn't actually required to beat the boss so you might end up wasting time and ammo trying to kill it.

Who the gently caress put this in such a good game.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Bloodborne: Dark Souls 1
Dark Souls 1-3: Dark Souls 2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dark souls 2 is one of the best Surge-likes

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Morpheus posted:

Just finishing up Neo Twewy and though I said before that the game is good for people who haven't played the first game....something tells me they're gonna pretty lost with some of the stuff that shows up in the final chapter. Like, the general plot stuff is still good, but there are a lot of callbacks.

I haven’t played the game in a long time but I watched the anime that came out. I assume that’s a good enough refresher?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

WaltherFeng posted:

I was really into TLOU2 until they decided to throw a two stage boss fight in a dark basement, one hit kills and on top of that, there's 2 bosses and one of them is invincible/isn't actually required to beat the boss so you might end up wasting time and ammo trying to kill it.

Wait, which fight was this? I just finished it for the second time and I don't remember anything that fits this description.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WaltherFeng posted:

If it's the fight I'm thinking of, that was what made me drop the difficulty from normal to easy several hours into the game. Such bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Quote-Unquote posted:

Wait, which fight was this? I just finished it for the second time and I don't remember anything that fits this description.

It's 100% The Rat King