Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Nitrousoxide posted:

Either glad you escaped Cleveland or my condolences for ending up in Cleveland.

Any excuse to post this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Hell yeah

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

JESUS CHRIST

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
After not riding a bike for 10+ years, I've been biking a lot lately on the local trails (mixture of gravel, solid dirt, not solid dirt/sand, and pavement) and really enjoying it. Problem is, I've been borrowing my dad's bike and he wants it back, so it's time for me to get one of my own. I'm looking to spend <$600 on a used bike, what should I be looking at?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

In the spirit of stupid long rides, I did a 300k on Wednesday. I attempted one at the start of July but a rock slashed my sidewall at ~180 km so I had to bail.

Awesome ride! Looks boringly straight.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

stranger danger posted:

After not riding a bike for 10+ years, I've been biking a lot lately on the local trails (mixture of gravel, solid dirt, not solid dirt/sand, and pavement) and really enjoying it. Problem is, I've been borrowing my dad's bike and he wants it back, so it's time for me to get one of my own. I'm looking to spend <$600 on a used bike, what should I be looking at?

Something that can fit at least 35mm tires imo, and disc brakes are nice to have as well for muddy/wet days. You could go for an entry level cross country hardtail mtb like a marlin or or talon, or a middle of the pack 'endurance' road bike with wider clearance like a domane or contend. If you have a shop like Decathlon or Halfords or something like that in your neighborhood they offer great bikes for a great price for stuff like this.

For groupsets (gears) it doesn't matter much what you pick, most stuff is good. If you go for a road bike 2x11 systems are the norm nowadays, and ensure you can upgrade it. For MTB riding i would suggest staying away from 3 front ring setups, go for a single front ring or a double if you can.

The main choice will be to go for flat bars (mtb/touring) or drop bars (road bike). Both are fine, pick drop bars if you prefer faster road riding, flat bars for better handling off-road and a more upright position.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nitrousoxide posted:

Same but Buffalo

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Last weekend we did a ride

3 days, 360km with 5k climbing, starting at 2400m above sea level up to 3500-3800m. We did this same route in 2019. Disclaimer: all are club members, everyone with 2nd vaccine (country reached 80% of the population vaccinated so this trip was made possible by easing of local covid restrictions).

Hardest day was saturday, we started with rain and 2-3C° temps and then we got some snow at around 3500m above sea level where thermic sensation was well below -5 at that point. We were better prepaired this time but it still was really loving cold (in 2019 we got hail at this same spot, on the same day). All this while you are grinding up this relentless 21,36km with 987m of elevation climb starting at 2400m up to 3400m.

Then the sun did come out and all was well.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
That looks so good! Holy poo poo. Amazing shots and sounds like a great ride too. Were you the designated photographer?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

My Priority Current Arrived, how exciting. Now to sit here instead of putting it together because I'm lazy.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Duck and Cover posted:

My Priority Current Arrived, how exciting. Now to sit here instead of putting it together because I'm lazy.

NBD's are the best. Priority is great at packaging and has great instructions online if you get stuck. I have an Apollo 11 coming at the end of the month which will be the 5th belt bike we've had. I may have a belt obsession...

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I would be upset if I was in a group ride but every now and then had to ride ahead of the group so I could pull off and take pictures as they passed by and then hurry to catch up after.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ElMaligno posted:

I been looking at both and here are some:
Reach the beach (25/50/75/100 miles, road)
Portland Century (40, 60, 75, 90 and 100 miles, road)
Gorge gravel grinder (51, 67, 93 miles. 50%+ gravel)

There are others but i am not sure if they are rides, races or both. My goals is to basically keep grinding on the bike, get a bike trainer (to train on winter and for my own mental health) and do a handful of em before I leave the area.

My goal is to do the 100 mile reach the beach next year. Conveniently enough, the start point is a church real close to my house.

As far as racing goes, a good friend of mine ran Thursday night CX races at the Alpenrose Dairy (before they sold it to developers). The first couple of weeks always had a beginners clinic. I’ll check with him and a couple of other folks I know that raced it and Cross Crusade to see if there are similar options. I’ve never been, but from what I’ve seen/heard the entire PNW CX race scene* is just a good time fall party, with some bike racing on the side.

Side note, I will be rolling through your lovely town shortly on my way to Long Beach for the weekend. Sadly there was no space for a bike on this trip.

* probably not limited to just the PNW CX race scene.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

My CX season usually starts strong from residual road fitness and gets progressively worse as I get fatter and drunker.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Lex Neville posted:

That looks so good! Holy poo poo. Amazing shots and sounds like a great ride too. Were you the designated photographer?

We had a support car, the driver was also the photographer/mechanic guy.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Does anybody else want to see a pro-level grand tour type event where they all ride faired recumbent bikes? It would be cool to see exactly how much faster it could be without a cabal of swiss nazis controlling the definition of a bicycle.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I want to see a velodrome on the moon in a vacuum while the competitors ride fully pressurized bike capsules unencumbered from the limits of aerodynamic drag.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

numberoneposter posted:

I want to see a velodrome on the moon in a vacuum while the competitors ride fully pressurized bike capsules unencumbered from limits of aerodynamic drag.

Good luck getting traction; I'm under 9.8 m/s^2 gravity wells.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Speaking of which latest reports are that Alex Zinardi has had waking surgery and is able to speak again, and is working out like the legend he is to get back on the recumbent.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

learnincurve posted:

Speaking of which latest reports are that Alex Zinardi has had waking surgery and is able to speak again, and is working out like the legend he is to get back on the recumbent.

Legend and fast man not relying on swiss gold-hoarding dragons to tell him what a bicycle is.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

Good luck getting traction; I'm under 9.8 m/s^2 gravity wells.
I think once you got going the centripetal force would keep you stuck to the walls, might even need totally vertical boards with a constant curve.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Recumbent hour record is over 90 km: https://newatlas.com/new-world-record-in-one-hour-cycling/19497/

That would be an extremely loving uncomfortable speed to be riding on a traditional velodrome, I wonder if it would be enough to stick to a vertical wall...

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

numberoneposter posted:

I want to see a velodrome on the moon in a vacuum while the competitors ride fully pressurized bike capsules unencumbered from the limits of aerodynamic drag.

This is just Zwift with one parameter changed to 0

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not sure this is better

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Not sure this is better

Having been born and raised around Syracuse, I can say that it’s not. Doubly amused that the map shows Dewitt and Clay and not Syracuse. That said, I think the road riding just to the south where I lived is actually pretty great

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Anyone in here used bibs from The black bibs? Their jerseys also look ok for what its worth.

Bunny Fiesta
Apr 14, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Anyone in here used bibs from The black bibs? Their jerseys also look ok for what its worth.

I have a pair of the base level bibs and one of the race jerseys. The bibs are fine, I like them better than dhb blok bibs, but not quite as much as dhb aeron bibs. I was surprised at how much I liked the jersey, it's definitely one of my favorites. The sleeves are a little loose, but I have a significant case of noodle arms so that might not be the case for everyone.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Blackhawk posted:

Does anybody else want to see a pro-level grand tour type event where they all ride faired recumbent bikes? It would be cool to see exactly how much faster it could be without a cabal of swiss nazis controlling the definition of a bicycle.

This but penny farthings

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

FireTora posted:

In the spirit of stupid long rides, I did a 300k on Wednesday. I attempted one at the start of July but a rock slashed my sidewall at ~180 km so I had to bail.

Props - that's a big one.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
:nms:

https://twitter.com/CycleSystemsAc/status/1423331325453479937?s=20

:nms:

e: no gross stuff, just someone who hosed up their bike, it's a joke

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 7, 2021

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

What even in the gently caress

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

I have 3 of the regular bibs, which are solid and seem like they are holding up well after 7k miles or so. The only thing I wish they had was leg grippers- they tend to ride up a little. I have a pair of their thermal bibs too which are real plush and have the leg grippers. Customer service was good too when I had an issue with their legwarmers.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

I found the chamois to be way too bulky for my liking, in terms of both density and overall size. That being said, the quality on the Pro bibs is pretty great for the price point.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

someone describe the twitter link without pictures please. I'm assuming it's some kind of severe injury or death

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Injury to a bike not a person :)

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Someone thought they were being clever and then made their bike into a job no mechanic will ever want to touch.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

ElMaligno posted:

I've got the Plus and Ultimate bibs from there, all in tall. Chamois are on the bulkier side as mentioned (personally I prefer that). I don't have hugely broad bib experience (mostly MTB), but they are better for the price than any other bibs I've bought.
I found the chamois on the Ultimates pretty firm, which is great on the gravel bike but ended up chafing my thigh when in a more upright position on the MTB. No issues with the Plus.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone have the watergate lids for their bottles? I have 4 and every single one doesn’t refill with air easily after you drink, you have to kind of squeeze and massage the bottle to get it to go back to the normal shape. It’s a real pain in the rear end. Am I missing something? Can’t find anyone else with this problem.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I’m doing a ferry to ferry ride from Bremerton to Bainbridge Island today in 10-20mph winds and perhaps made a poor decision not to switch from my 41mm to 22mm wheels. May the wind gods smile upon me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Hey it looks more like a bike. No I didn't unscrew something I shouldn't have what makes you think that? (I totally did brake fluid is the reason for the paper towels, oopsie)

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 8, 2021