Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
Are we allowed to post spoilers from ARR in this thread?

Edited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

The OP posted:

:siren:THIS THREAD HAS A STRICT NO SPOILER WARNING:siren:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Am the OP, this.

If you want to talk about spoilers and your experience or thoughts with the story, please take it to the main thread!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

this is cowardice.

I use full/full/none myself; I just got used to 8 man fights being a giant fireworks show and it'd feel weird without it now. I'm fine actually being able to see the bosses in 24+ man content or hunt trains at some point, though, so I just keep it limited to me and my 7 closest/randomly selected friends.

It's a good example though of how the UI is generally customizable for pretty much anyone's specific needs, so if you're getting overwhelmed by a huge amount of attack and spell effects, by all means turn it down, at least until you're more comfortable with things.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

hit 50, finished the 2.0 story, and am starting to properly connect with the game. RDM is so much fun! It's fun blapping spells out and then zipping in to go swish swish swish.
Just did Leviathan in the 2.X quests, and am noticing a distinct increase in the quality of cutscenes at this point. Excited for what HW will bring.

I definitely see how WoW could set people up to be let down, bc the game has a lot in common but a lot of differences as well. I miss having talents, and the "playfeel" of WoW is better overall - tho RDM gets closer to the sort of responsive, punchy feeling that WoW had. But the fashion is A+, the writing is not half bad, and there's a general feeling of pleasant adventure going on. I do wish the MSQ didn't gate so much behind travel and talk, bc it's a hard sell to get friends into the game. One of my buddies just wants to kinda zone out and click monsters and the MSQ is sorta the polar opposite.

It's easy to get into XIV because of its similarities to other hotbar MMOs, but seeking out and hanging onto those similarities will leave you feeling like it's a bad game, or a pale imitation. Now that I'm getting how to approach it, I'm enjoying it a lot more. I hope the same goes for my friends because it is fun to be big ladies together.

My bags are full of crafting mats that I won't use in the foreseeable future - what's the best way to purge my inventory? It's all weird bat parts and dog asses that I'm sure aren't worth much money at all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just sell them to a vendor, nothing dripped from a mob is worth anything

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Just sell them to a vendor, nothing dripped from a mob is worth anything

but THIS dog rear end is HIGH QUALITY

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

check auction house prices if you arent on free trial. you can also just stick them in your saddlebag or on your retainers until you get around to doing crafting to save yourself a bit of money

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sixto Lezcano posted:

hit 50, finished the 2.0 story, and am starting to properly connect with the game. RDM is so much fun! It's fun blapping spells out and then zipping in to go swish swish swish.
Just did Leviathan in the 2.X quests, and am noticing a distinct increase in the quality of cutscenes at this point. Excited for what HW will bring.

I definitely see how WoW could set people up to be let down, bc the game has a lot in common but a lot of differences as well. I miss having talents, and the "playfeel" of WoW is better overall - tho RDM gets closer to the sort of responsive, punchy feeling that WoW had. But the fashion is A+, the writing is not half bad, and there's a general feeling of pleasant adventure going on. I do wish the MSQ didn't gate so much behind travel and talk, bc it's a hard sell to get friends into the game. One of my buddies just wants to kinda zone out and click monsters and the MSQ is sorta the polar opposite.

It's easy to get into XIV because of its similarities to other hotbar MMOs, but seeking out and hanging onto those similarities will leave you feeling like it's a bad game, or a pale imitation. Now that I'm getting how to approach it, I'm enjoying it a lot more. I hope the same goes for my friends because it is fun to be big ladies together.

My bags are full of crafting mats that I won't use in the foreseeable future - what's the best way to purge my inventory? It's all weird bat parts and dog asses that I'm sure aren't worth much money at all.

This game does have some more traditional "zone out and grind mobs in an open world" areas (Eureka and Bozja), but they're locked by the MSQ at level 70 and 80.

It's really not that different from a normal MMO... once you get caught up on the MSQ. After you have your first level 80 and get everything unlocked, it's just a lot of running around doing duty roulettes and making numbers go in various ways.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Decided to switch my designated alt from paladin to gunbreaker and holy moly there are a lot of buttons to press. I'm starting to miss the relative simplicity of playing summoner. Is this about as bad as it gets? I've heard horror stories about dragoon.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Donkey posted:

Decided to switch my designated alt from paladin to gunbreaker and holy moly there are a lot of buttons to press. I'm starting to miss the relative simplicity of playing summoner. Is this about as bad as it gets? I've heard horror stories about dragoon.

Dragoon has a lot of buttons, but there is never any doubt what you should press next. You have two combos and alternate them, and have a buff you need to keep rolling and a few OGCDs which let you unlock a really powerful OGCD as long as the buff is up. It's way less complex than monk.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Donkey posted:

The core of Dragoon is a solid routine of GCD combo chains that never changes (unless you need to interrupt it for fight mechanics or something). The issue is that between pretty much any GCDs there's an oGCD button to press and figuring out the priority of those is the hassle. Sometimes you can fit two between a GCD, sometimes animation lock stops that, sometimes certain buttons want to be held for certain parts of the chain (don't want to hit auto-crit on the weak start of the chain for example).

The key part is figuring out which mechanics actually matter and then just hitting the other stuff whenever and nobody's going to notice. For example, you have a buff for 15% damage dealt for 20 seconds. That's 10 GCDs, so pretty much a full set of both combo chains if you have no drops. Is it better to hit that when jumps are coming off cooldown and your Blood of the Dragon stuff is charging up the glowy red attacks? Yes. Does anyone care? Maybe. Do you care? There's plenty of other stuff to get a grip on first.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yeah Dragoon is actually pretty straightforward, just start with your buff/bleed rotation, swap into your high damage rotation for a few cycles, switch back to the buff/bleed when they're running out, and weave in your jumps and buffs as needed. You can mostly use anything that isn't in your rotation off-cooldown and it'll do the job fine; yeah if you time it all just right you can set up windows where you do some crazy damage but it's not really necessary in casual content.

Here's a chart with some per minute action comparisons

Gunbreaker seems to be the most active tank class. Dragoon is about on par with a summoner. Black mages are lazy.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
If you've heard horror stories about DRG complexity then that might be legacy from the HW era, where it was a god awful mess of a job. These days it's actually a super straightforward rotation that just repeats and cycles.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Heavensward dragoon was cohesive, it was just really hard. Which is the story of every class in heavensward tbh

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Here's a chart with some per minute action comparisons

Gunbreaker seems to be the most active tank class. Dragoon is about on par with a summoner. Black mages are lazy.

i've graduated from WAR main to raiding as DNC and now i'm raiding as NIN and i've also bought my first fighting game this week, coincidence?!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Also for new players looking at that chart, it doesn't tell the whole story. MCH is dead simple despite being second on the list, while BLM breaks my brain if I mess up my rotation due to mechanics and have to fix things.

WHM, WAR, and RDM are all excellent for my dumb rear end however.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I got through the 2.5 content with my WAR and unlocked AST, and there seems to be a lot more to keep track of now! I think it’ll be fun once I memorize the job icons and which card goes to ranged vs melee.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Subjunctive posted:

I got through the 2.5 content with my WAR and unlocked AST, and there seems to be a lot more to keep track of now! I think it’ll be fun once I memorize the job icons and which card goes to ranged vs melee.

purple = ranged, blue = melee, that's it

edit: the seals matter for divination, but you can gently caress that up a little and still come out fine so

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'm having fun messing around with a bunch of classes and professions. My inventory gives me anxiety though with all this crafting and gathering.

Any good like, basic healers guides or tips? Or like UI set ups? Like how do you have your key binds up, for example? It's easy enough below 30 but I know I'm going to get more and more buttons and there's more and more mechanics.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Zurtilik posted:

I'm having fun messing around with a bunch of classes and professions. My inventory gives me anxiety though with all this crafting and gathering.

Any good like, basic healers guides or tips? Or like UI set ups? Like how do you have your key binds up, for example? It's easy enough below 30 but I know I'm going to get more and more buttons and there's more and more mechanics.

I wouldn't bother with crafting or gathering if you're still early, you can just vendor sell all that stuff. It gets much easier both at level 50 when you unlock flying and so don't have to walk to all your materials, as well as when you have a paid account and can grab stuff from the market board or retainers.

Healing depends on your class but there's not too much to it. Stick your DOT on the biggest enemy you can see, then start spamming your basic attack. Chuck out a heal when your tank is low, or a group heal when everyone is hurt.

The biggest thing to remember is just not to panic if you get aggro. Don't run away, just run directly to your tank so they can pick up the mob with their regular aoe rotation.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

And if you're playing WHM don't cast Regen on the tank prepull, it just makes it harder for him to pick up the mobs since they'll beeline for you instead of the tank.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kwyndig posted:

And if you're playing WHM don't cast Regen on the tank prepull, it just makes it harder for him to pick up the mobs since they'll beeline for you instead of the tank.

counterpoint: when I'm tanking I very much would prefer to have a regen when I mass pull so my healthbar is as high as possible when I finish gathering them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I can just walk those nasty mobs right back over into the tank’s rotation.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, casting Regen while the tank is picking up mobs is fine as long as you stick close to the tank. You'll need to be in melee range to Holy anyway and you can take a couple of auto attacks so it's really not a big deal if you take aggro for a bit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah the no-Regen advice was from a different time, since tank aggro got buffed to absurd degrees in ShB it's not really a big deal. And honestly a bit of damage not going towards the tank during the start of the pull is free mitigation.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

A couple of autos hitting you is just going to be healed by assize anyways, a couple of autos hitting a tank without regen brings them down from 100% when the party actually starts aoeing, which potentially cuts into the time you can holy.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

The rotation in GNB isn't too bad. The thing that's making it more troublesome is that between the main 3-button combo, the cartridge 3-button combo, the other cartridge ability, the dot, the AOE dot, the 30s oGCD, the two spinny AOE abilities, the gap closer, the damage buff, the ranged ability, the 5 mitigation abilities, superbolide, stun, interject, provoke, shirk, and the movement keys I'm contorting my hands in interesting ways to hit some of them while moving.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Just curious, is it safe to move to another server after you do the novice hall quests?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The man called M posted:

Just curious, is it safe to move to another server after you do the novice hall quests?
What do you mean by 'safe' and 'moving to another server,' exactly? Cause there's a few ways you could mean that.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Zurtilik posted:

Controller or KB/M?

UI-wise, I like to focus target the tank so their health bar is more visible, but otherwise keep enemies targeted to watch for their cast bars. And random tip: when you look at your party list and see debuffs with a thick white line at the top, that’s there to indicate they can be removed with Esuna.

Generally, keeping people alive is easy as long as you’re paying attention. The challenge of healing is finding how much damage you can do between needing to heal. This gets more relevant later as you get more oGCD heals (though AST already starts with a great one).

As you figure, you don’t have that many tools to work with early on. It makes things simple, but there may be times you cast your main heal (Cure 2, Adlo, Benefic 2) over and over on the tank and they still melt. You can’t do anything about it those times - it just means the tank is undergeared, overpulling, and/or not using defensive abilities.

Similarly, a lot of the time if a DPS dies, it’s because of their actions and not anything you did or didn’t do. Like 98% of the time, deaths are because people fail mechanics and stand in Bad Orange Zones. Sometimes you can help them out and keep them alive through it, sometimes you can’t. Focus on keeping yourself alive by doing mechanics, then the tank, then everyone else last.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Endorph posted:

What do you mean by 'safe' and 'moving to another server,' exactly? Cause there's a few ways you could mean that.

Use the Main Ethernet Crystal to go to another server. Wasn’t sure if I could still do the Novice Hall quests after doing that.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
What should I spend my Gil on as a free trial player?

I'm fast approaching the limit of 300k Gil and have only just hit lvl 50, not to mention that I'm only at lvl 40 for my MSQ progress...

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The man called M posted:

Use the Main Ethernet Crystal to go to another server. Wasn’t sure if I could still do the Novice Hall quests after doing that.

You can do the Hall of Novice quests at any time, once they're unlocked. I went back and did the Tank ones for the gear when I decided to pick up tanking and that was long after I lost my Sprout status.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

shoc77 posted:

What should I spend my Gil on as a free trial player?

I'm fast approaching the limit of 300k Gil and have only just hit lvl 50, not to mention that I'm only at lvl 40 for my MSQ progress...

Not much, unfortunately. Most of the really useful or neat stuff you could buy is all from the marketboard, there's not much use for gil as a free trial player except to buy mats for leveling crafting jobs or buying vendor gear to level alt jobs. If you rank up your tribe rep you can buy some mounts and dyes off them at least. Kobolds have a pretty adorable bomb palanquin they sell for 120k gil at rep rank 4.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
For the World Visit system, it's mostly stuff tired specifically to that server that it restricts. If you want a full list, the Restrictions section here has them.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You can just return to your home server to do them if it turns out that you can't do anything while visiting another server anyway.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

what is the easiest/lowest effort (not necessarily fastest) way to go from 1-15, so i can start leveling in dungeons? going around finding quests/fates feels like work. i've heard people talk about POTD and it seems like it may fit the bill, but just as many people seem to say to stay away from POTD as it can be a bit monotonous

i am a weirdo who genuinely likes doing random dungeons over and over, so i just wanna get to the point where i can do that

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Doing hunting logs is pretty easy, when I leveled my second job I just did that and FATEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
For 1-15, the quickest way to level is frankly to just kill everything you see while moving between hunt log targets. Pure kill XP is pretty chunky at the very low levels, to the point where doing FATEs is slower.