Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaqqaqqaqqaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
me thinking about home secretary michael gove

https://twitter.com/InternetPalace/status/901792671819341825

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Jewdas chat:

I was literally thinking last night "haven't seen anything from Jewdas in a while" - last thing on their FB was May!
Last thing on their twitter was 11th July. (But I didn't see it because I haven't signed into Twitter for ages).

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jesus Christ. Absolutely indefensible. It’s not like he’s even new in the job. He’s been an MP for five years and leader for over a year. The people still defending him need throwing into the sun.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's not just shocking how useless the man himself is, it's the whole ruling wing of the party. Those idiots all voted for a guy with no politics, no clue and no charisma as their leader. And before that, some committee presumably approved him as their choice of 2015 parliamentary candidate for Holborn and St. Pancras. But apparently at no point did anyone think it was worth checking in on whether he knew what the job was or if he believed in anything at all?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

more compelling than anything that’s ever come out of Starmer’s mouth

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
It's important to keep the mind engaged and not stagnate in a position; I'm glad Mr. Starmer is taking positive steps to continue improving and developing himself through a program of lifelong learning.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

It's not just shocking how useless the man himself is, it's the whole ruling wing of the party. Those idiots all voted for a guy with no politics, no clue and no charisma as their leader. And before that, some committee presumably approved him as their choice of 2015 parliamentary candidate for Holborn and St. Pancras. But apparently at no point did anyone think it was worth checking in on whether he knew what the job was or if he believed in anything at all?

I mean why does that matter? Politics is just a career and as long as you have a job and a plan to move to consultancy when you lose your seat it's all good.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Ironically, the one thing I want to see more of from MPs is basically the only thing Starmer has going for him - that he actually had a career before he moved into politics.

The fact he was a liberal piece of poo poo before going into politics kind of spelled doom, mind you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CGI Stardust posted:

It's important to keep the mind engaged and not stagnate in a position; I'm glad Mr. Starmer is taking positive steps to continue improving and developing himself through a program of lifelong learning.

It's good to someone's finally using their skills wallet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know that I would consider that a plus, career people IME are mostly massive assholes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Depends on the career and the people.

Making it so that the only way to advance in politics is through the workings of some party machine or other usually selects for careerists anyway, whereas Dennis Skinner was better for having been a miner and steward before an MP.

Police and military careers have obvious fashy overtones but many from the enlisted ranks historically ended up with a leftist streak, whereas the medical profession has given us leaders such as Hastings Banda, Felix Houphouet-Boigny, and Bashar Assad, so maybe that's one to avoid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess I am also suspicious of "career" people because most of the people I know just have jobs because they need jobs to live, while the people who make "careers" out of them are management. And while some of them might be nice enough people, the effect of their career progression is either selecting or implanting ideas that make the rest of our lives harder, such that seniority pretty closely correlates with being a pain in the arse.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I guess it depends how you define "career".

If you spend 20-30 years doing the same job then it's a career.
And managers also need to live too!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On the other hand, I really feel like Labour as an organisation would be a better place if it relied more on waged, unionised workers and less on fee-paying volunteers to do its poo poo. Politics should be a job you can make a living in, especially if you want it to stand a chance of representing actual workers rather than the rich and retired, and relying on fee-paying volunteers tends to make the labour practices of the supposed party of organised labour exploitative as fuuuck.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

On the other hand, I really feel like Labour as an organisation would be a better place if it relied more on waged, unionised workers and less on fee-paying volunteers to do its poo poo. Politics should be a job you can make a living in, especially if you want it to stand a chance of representing actual workers rather than the rich and retired, and relying on fee-paying volunteers tends to make the labour practices of the supposed party of organised labour exploitative as fuuuck.

Bad news about what Starmer just did at Labour HQ mate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I guess it depends how you define "career".

If you spend 20-30 years doing the same job then it's a career.
And managers also need to live too!

I would contend that nowadays a greater proportion of people who have the opportunity to spend 20-30 years doing the same job hold positions of authority over others at that workplace while the people they manage are rendered more interchangeable.

And also that while I do not dispute that the threat of poverty is implicit in almost all labour, that doesn't prevent a section of that labour being shaped by the jobs they do, willingly or unwillingly, into worse people as a consequence of internalizing the ideas advanced by the hierachy they are looking to advance in, and therefore becoming people I would absolutely not want to see given power over the entire country.

Everybody is a product of social pressures, but some of them are still lovely people whether it's their fault or not.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Supply chain problems are definitely becoming more and more noticeable with every trip to Sainsbury's here in North London.

I couldn't even get a kitchen sponge yesterday.

What I can't tell from the news reports is how much is down to the pingdemic and how much is down to brexit.

Yep there were no sponges in my local sainsburys either.

Its important to note that we're not going to run out of food. Well fresh food anyway. We might start getting into the weird situations where packaging has been delayed and theres no frozen chips or pasta starts turning up in plain bags instead of the artwork wraps but food will still come.

What will fall down is everything else.

Example is that the current word is we're 'dangerously' short on kitchenware across the country and containers are delayed massively. This means we could see a shortage on fuckin frying pans.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

In my experience, top managers who are useless and earning loads move companies every couple of years before their ineptitude catches up with them.
Saw it in the NHS when the Chief Executives would start some huge shakeup without really having a clue, then leave before the results had time to work through the system and see what a load of shite it was.

In my 20s (1980s), if you changed jobs every couple of years you were considered 'flighty and unreliable'. When I stayed in a job nearly 10 years and then left (90s), the world had changed and anyone sticking at a job for more than 3 years was suddenly 'unambitious, unpromotable, stick in the mud, dinosaur, low-flier'.
The longer you're in a job the less likely you are to reach the heady heights of being entirely crap.

In my mind one of the biggest issues is that people are entering politics with a good heart (well some of them anyway) but an innumerate brain and voting on issues without the capability of understanding possibly unintended consequences. Though when it comes to tories, I'm sure they're fully aware of the devastation their policies are destined to cause, Lords of Chaos are us dot com.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

"a post-Brexit masterplan to merge London with Amsterdam"?

I doubt they'll bother this time around though, unless they're trying to tap into the deep veins of piss bottles along the Medway.

I mean you want an even better example there's 1689 which we don't like to mention was a successful armed invasion of the future-UK. That would be one way to rejoin the EU...

Edit: so you're saying there will be adequate food?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 8, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

I would contend that nowadays a greater proportion of people who have the opportunity to spend 20-30 years doing the same job hold positions of authority over others at that workplace while the people they manage are rendered more interchangeable.

And also that while I do not dispute that the threat of poverty is implicit in almost all labour, that doesn't prevent a section of that labour being shaped by the jobs they do, willingly or unwillingly, into worse people as a consequence of internalizing the ideas advanced by the hierachy they are looking to advance in, and therefore becoming people I would absolutely not want to see given power over the entire country.

Everybody is a product of social pressures, but some of them are still lovely people whether it's their fault or not.

I'm not sure about the idea that someone is inherently not to be trusted because they've managed to hold a job for a while. It's not uncommon at all that someone could plug away at the same employer their whole life and never enter the management class - especially if you're anything other than a cishet white man.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Waitrose trip report:

Signs up in various places around the store for different things saying something like 'forgive us for having smaller range than normal due to national supply problems'.
At least there was plenty of bog roll in.
I bought some more dried beans - still got some left from my December brexitapocolypse stash (well still got about 6 weeks of that left including 4kg of dried mixed veg expiry date next March/April). Got to have 'horrible tea' (ie made of stuff nearing expiration date which might be co-op spaghetti hoops - with pukey co-op tinned carrots - the most disgusting things I have ever tasted well except for that tinned squid once) night once a week for the next few weeks though as some of the stuff expires October.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Bad news about what Starmer just did at Labour HQ mate.

I'm aware, yes, but the thing is that he did it to unionised workers who are currently raising merry hell about it. Treat volunteers like poo poo, and you tend to get nary a whimper.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Can't see this happening.
I thought moves were afoot to prevent any left members still left from being able to attend Conference by fair means or foul, probably foul.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/08/jeremy-corbyn-could-be-reinstated-as-labour-mp-under-leftwing-challenge-to-starmer

quote:

Supporters of Jeremy Corbyn have drawn up an “urgent” plan that would hand party members the powers to reinstate the former leader as a Labour MP.

In a sign of the tensions within the party over Corbyn’s suspension, figures on the left are circulating a change to Labour rules that would give members the final say over disciplinary action taken against MPs.

Local branches of the party are being asked to back the rule change and propose it at the forthcoming Labour conference, creating a potentially embarrassing moment for Keir Starmer as he attempts to use the Brighton gathering to reinvigorate his leadership. The proposal, drawn up by the Campaign for Labour Party Democracy and circulated across the party, states that an urgent rule change is needed to close a “gaping hole in the Labour party rule book” and hand more power to members.

etc

(Shall stop posting now and go for my nanna nap.)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I guess I am also suspicious of "career" people because most of the people I know just have jobs because they need jobs to live, while the people who make "careers" out of them are management. And while some of them might be nice enough people, the effect of their career progression is either selecting or implanting ideas that make the rest of our lives harder, such that seniority pretty closely correlates with being a pain in the arse.

I have a "career" in the sense that I already am forced to do the job of somebody a level above me, so I have a short-term plan to get that job (and the decent chunk of extra money that comes with that), and then medium-term parlay that position into more money doing the same in a different company. Maybe that makes me a corporate turd or whatever, but the choice seems to be between having my labour exploited for either less or more money, so...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

I mean you want an even better example there's 1689 which we don't like to mention was a successful armed invasion of the future-UK. That would be one way to rejoin the EU...

Writing to Beatrix begging her to pop over and sort poo poo out does feel quite a Fubpee thing.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Police and military careers have obvious fashy overtones but many from the enlisted ranks historically ended up with a leftist streak

Now now, let's not downplay the service record of Major Attlee

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
This poo poo summer weather is starting to annoy me now.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

He got the nomination for the seat because Ed Milliband wanted Starmer as the Attorney General for the presumed labour government of 2015, a position he is probably qualified for. And now he's been reaching upwards with ambition without asking why he is, and this is the result.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The fact that the party leadership can just decide who they want to stand is still utterly contemptible.

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

It's not just shocking how useless the man himself is, it's the whole ruling wing of the party. Those idiots all voted for a guy with no politics, no clue and no charisma as their leader.

It is shocking, the only real explanation I can see is the one outlined in this thread:

https://twitter.com/SteveNickSmith/status/1416763052435906564?s=20
https://twitter.com/SteveNickSmith/status/1416774147074633737?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Everything that happens in the Labour Party makes sense when you realise that the Tories might be the party of the bosses, but the Labour Party wants to reinvent itself as the party of Middle management looking to move up the ranks. It's a career path where you can make six figures being lazy as gently caress while making all the right connections to get a job where you're the head of a department that turns up twice a week when you get out of politics. Anything that would gently caress up that career path, gently caress things up for people who've already made it out, or take control of those mechanisms away from them is the enemy. And being middle managers they have no vision, no understanding, just reaction to the world around them.

They essentially view the Labour party as a PR firm for the middle class.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In my experience, top managers who are useless and earning loads move companies every couple of years before their ineptitude catches up with them.

Yep, there was a huge project to make changes for changes sake at work, and roughly 3-6 months before the deadline (the extended deadline, because it overran), everyone in charge began to leave. Then middle ranking people left becasue they realised that the senior management was going to let them carry the can. None of them wanted to stick around because it was obvious that the project still wasn't going to be finished and would under-deliver on the parts that had been completed.

Because the project was so far over budget, a bunch of the junior staff who had been seconded to it then found that their substantive posts were being made redundant.

In about ten or fifteen years' time, when enough time has passed to avoid reputational damage, this is going to be a case study in how not to do business.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lady Demelza posted:

In about ten or fifteen years' time, when enough time has passed to avoid reputational damage, this is going to be a case study in how not to do business repeated.

We had a similar big shakeup five years ago. Now it's become abundantly clear how bad an idea it was the top leadership have all left, and the new leadership (who've come in externally) has started planning the next bit shakeup to rectify the mistakes of the last one.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, this is all so true: all the stuff they're saying and doing starts to make complete sense once you understand that they've already written off the next election and are concentrating all their efforts on making the Labour party 'safe' for the Establishment. Starmer's just the bland, faintly confused front man for that little project.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Someone knows what's up.

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1424132745131790336?s=19

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you work on RAVE I'd like to take this opportunity to invite you to the nearest Iceland car park at midnight so I can kick your teeth in, Lord Adonis-style

How dare you suggest I work for the hated Medidata

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i actually had a sponge blow into my driveway earlier this year, idk where it came from but i kept it for the car

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MikeCrotch posted:

How dare you suggest I work for the hated Medidata

:hai: keep that hatred pure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, this is all so true: all the stuff they're saying and doing starts to make complete sense once you understand that they've already written off the next election and are concentrating all their efforts on making the Labour party 'safe' for the Establishment. Starmer's just the bland, faintly confused front man for that little project.
I wonder this about businesses as well. So many apparently weird, short-term thinking disasters waiting to happen make so much more sense when you think of them as one CEO kicking the can down the road, not giving any kind of poo poo about how the next guy is going to have to deal with it.

I kind of feel like the current Tory crop are doing something similar. They're doing all the nightmare poo poo and delaying brexit right now knowing that if the heat gets too high they can just lose the next election to Labour and leave them to reap. Or worst case scenario they can absolutely just resign in 'shame' and head off to a cushy consultancy. They don't care at all about the legacy they might leave the country, or the party, because they'll be gone.