Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Purgatory Glory posted:

Not to derail but here's 2 more canadian PSAs that would be considered quite intense::nms:
https://youtu.be/tevkM-vPqLY
:nms:

Lmao wtf, I just was thinking of this psa a few minutes ago cause I spilled water on my floor while carrying a watering can over to sprinkle some wawa on the pilea.

now that's effective advertising/PSAing (pissaying)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Reminds me of the Aussie speeding and smoking ads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9fms5He5bM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWwbAgmE3N4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjOZSg39bbo

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Probably the creepiest "PSA" was the one about being careful with white phosphorus or something and the whole time it was like a funny educational video then literally the last scene they show real footage of a guy who was basically flayed alive by chemicals and he's like, lying there barely able to breathe just waiting to die after a few hours, because how do you help someone who just has no skin anywhere

Don't look it up

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

If you're not Group A I'm not letting you into the Super Cool Covid Survivor Fun Clubhouse, not that you can come in if you are in Group A, but Group A'ers would know that already :smug:

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

You Are A Elf posted:

They should spare no expense and just go all out horror like those Canadian workplace PSAs from some years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOk2Akqb3CI

That scream… :nms:
what loving sous is doing anything resembling heavy lifting any more lol this ad is so dumb

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Probably the creepiest "PSA" was the one about being careful with white phosphorus or something and the whole time it was like a funny educational video then literally the last scene they show real footage of a guy who was basically flayed alive by chemicals and he's like, lying there barely able to breathe just waiting to die after a few hours, because how do you help someone who just has no skin anywhere

Don't look it up

i dunno put some skin on him from wherever

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

WhiteHowler posted:

Judging someone who is not wearing a mask is more like judging someone who is walking around wearing blackface make-up.

Excuse me what?

Disabled people with sensory issues, and people with serious lung issues such as cancer who can’t wear masks should be judged how what now?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

learnincurve posted:

Excuse me what?

Disabled people with sensory issues, and people with serious lung issues such as cancer who can’t wear masks should be judged how what now?

What guy has so much lung cancer they can’t breath through a mask but is fine to be in public getting a respiratory virus?

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

learnincurve posted:

Excuse me what?

Are you for real?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

You Are A Elf posted:

They should spare no expense and just go all out horror like those Canadian workplace PSAs from some years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOk2Akqb3CI

That scream… :nms:

Isn’t that the redhead from Working Moms?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

learnincurve posted:

Excuse me what?

how the gently caress are people still posting this hot take after more than a year

how does it keep happening. where the gently caress are you idiots coming from

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What guy has so much lung cancer they can’t breath through a mask but is fine to be in public getting a respiratory virus?

Most people with lung cancer and emphysema have problems breathing through masks, some people with Asthma do as well. It’s why they are legally exempt from wearing masks in the UK.

Not everyone who can’t wear a mask has the luxury of being able to hide in their house 24/7, that’s entirely dependent on being able to have food delivered.

Hidden illnesses and disabilities exist, comparing not wearing a mask to blackface is just wrong in many many levels.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

PIZZA.BAT posted:

how the gently caress are people still posting this hot take after more than a year

how does it keep happening. where the gently caress are you idiots coming from

It’s not a hot take, autistic people can’t wear masks, people with lung issues can’t wear masks.

Why are people still hating on the disabled and sick people everyone else is supposed to be wearing a mask to protect?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Good to know they can breathe just fine without masks 👍👍👍

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Ulilllillia lost his job because he couldn't wear a mask. It made sense to me based on how he described how he'd panic about it. That said, most people not wearing masks aren't doing it due to disease or sensory issues.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
E: nm, this isn’t worth my energy

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

learnincurve posted:

It’s not a hot take, autistic people can’t wear masks, people with lung issues can’t wear masks.

Why are people still hating on the disabled and sick people everyone else is supposed to be wearing a mask to protect?

drat dude you're blowing our minds here. next you'll be telling us about how there are some people who can't get the vaccine so expressing frustration at people who are refusing to get it because they're dipshits is just as bad

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

some chud on Facebook posted:

if you can’t go places because you don’t have the vaccine, it’s no longer a choice and it becomes segregation. It’s been proven that there’s a 99.6% survival rate with Covid in healthy adults- those are good odds. The vaccine, however, has side effects that are unknown and doesn’t entirely prevent the virus. I’d rather play my odds and get antibodies- which does more the prevent future illness. Remember chickenpox parties? I know about the Tuskegee airmen- as someone who’s studied history and knows about this horrible experiment- I prefer not to be a lab rat myself. These vaccines were pushed through for emergency use only. There are now known cures for Covid that are inexpensive and available. Remdesivir, ivermectin, and hydroxychloriquin- big pharma isn’t making much money off of these drugs but these are the life saving medicines. If you do an ounce of research these things are out there.

I HATE PEOPLE SO MUCH WHY ARE PEOPLE LIKE THIS
Who would PREFER that their child get a miserable illness like chickenpox instead of a vaccine to prevent it? Seems like loving child abuse to me. I'm glad my son won't grow up in the dark ages like I did before there was a chickenpox vaccine.

e: if you're curious, I couldn't help myself and responded:

boquiabierta posted:

Someone should really tell the intensive care and emergency physicians that inexpensive and available Covid cures are available. For some reason they're still insisting on using invasive life support measures like ventilators and ECMO. And for some reason hundreds of thousands of people just keep dying from this virus! Guess they just haven't done the research you have. Curious what you have to say to the doctor who wrote the article below. Is it fake news? Or are you just convinced it won't happen to you?
https://www.huffpost.com/.../icu-doctor-health-care...
Re: chickenpox parties, lololol. I'm so glad there's a vaccine for chickenpox now and my child will never have to go through that itchy misery.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

boquiabierta posted:

Who would PREFER that their child get a miserable illness like chickenpox instead of a vaccine to prevent it? Seems like loving child abuse to me. I'm glad my son won't grow up in the dark ages like I did before there was a chickenpox vaccine.

I like how the guy has the Tuskegee experiment and Tuskegee airmen jammed into one big ball.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

well sure conflating the tuskeegee airmen with the syphilis experiment is staggeringly ignorant, but non hispanic blacks do indeed have the lowest vaccination rates nationwide and i don't think it's just because they prefer their children to get sick

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Some guy has no poo poo come to my work throughout the whole pandemic and basically done this but with "emphysema".
Literally fat good ole boy with a trump hat and overalls. Never bought that excuse for a moment.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
Edit: eh forget it

Stoop Kid fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 8, 2021

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

boquiabierta posted:

I'm kinda impressed, they managed to get almost all the talking points into one comment there, big pharma, IVEMRECTIN, 99.6 SURVIVAL RATE

Here's summary of results from a recent (last month) trial investigating ivermectin as treatment you can throw at them too if they'll even read it: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34215210/

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm kinda impressed, they managed to get almost all the talking points into one comment there, big pharma, IVEMRECTIN, 99.6 SURVIVAL RATE

Here's summary of results from a recent (last month) trial investigating ivermectin as treatment you can throw at them too if they'll even read it: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34215210/

Since most people are really bad at reading studies they will latch on to this and ignore everything else:

quote:

The primary outcome of hospitalization was met in 14/250 (5.6%) individuals in ivermectin group and 21/251 (8.4%) in placebo group

They'll also try to make that into some kind of large statistical difference.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Remdesivir, famously inexpensive and abundantly available drug not made by big pharma.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The other hilarious thing about antivax/antimask chuds invoking Tuskegee is that the Tuskegee "experiment" involved NOT treating people with known cases of syphilis to observe the consequences of the untreated illness, even though these were already well known over a century or so of medical knowledge and observation.

It had nothing to do with giving people unproven or experimental treatments, but KEEPING people from getting known effective treatment so the disease could just do its thing.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Zwabu posted:

The other hilarious thing about antivax/antimask chuds invoking Tuskegee is that the Tuskegee "experiment" involved NOT treating people with known cases of syphilis to observe the consequences of the untreated illness, even though these were already well known over a century or so of medical knowledge and observation.

It had nothing to do with giving people unproven or experimental treatments, but KEEPING people from getting known effective treatment so the disease could just do its thing.

i don't think that's the point either way but i don't think the anti-vaxxers get the point either

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Tarkus posted:

Ulilllillia lost his job because he couldn't wear a mask. It made sense to me based on how he described how he'd panic about it. That said, most people not wearing masks aren't doing it due to disease or sensory issues.

Ulillillia isn't a good example. He's mentally ill and is very public about it. Unlike most people who won't wear a mask he isn't in denial about his problems.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Mulaney Power Move posted:

well sure conflating the tuskeegee airmen with the syphilis experiment is staggeringly ignorant, but non hispanic blacks do indeed have the lowest vaccination rates nationwide and i don't think it's just because they prefer their children to get sick

In what I am sure is a complete accident minority communities have fewer vaccination sites and minorities on average have to travel substantially farther to go get vaccinated. Someone should point this out so it can be fixed.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

yes, vaccination isn't just a matter of personal choice, there are barriers to vaccination that disproportionately affect disadvantaged groups. that's the real reason why vaccine passports are problematic.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

yes, vaccination isn't just a matter of personal choice, there are barriers to vaccination that disproportionately affect disadvantaged groups. that's the real reason why vaccine passports are problematic.

Then have a clause for that in said passport. You can get the vaccine literally anywhere for free and in some places get paid for it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Oh drat, really? This is not something that I considered. So you're saying that the dude shoving one of those Jesus Is My Vaccine cards in my face while loudly refusing to wear a mask probably just had lung cancer? Silver lining

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Weird how all of these lung cancer patients are wearing red MAGA hats

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It’s pretty clear reasoning with antivaxxers won’t help, shaming doesn’t work either (too dumb to admit they’re wrong)

So, what then ? authoritarian measures, or perhaps going after those who spread misinformation? loving Facebook is responsible for this

Economic incentives seem pretty flaccid so far

How do you fight stupidity in a situation where it might get non-idiots killed too

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

wilderthanmild posted:

Since most people are really bad at reading studies they will latch on to this and ignore everything else:

They'll also try to make that into some kind of large statistical difference.

Ugh yeah, that's also a downside to going down the road of citing specific studies and I was just thinking that may not be the best approach, they'll be selectively picked apart, especially for something like this where there isn't a ton of data yet and it hasn't gone through real testing. Best takeaway summary on the deworming drug seems to be that it's not proven for this at all

quote:

https://www.covid19treatmentguidelines.nih.gov/therapies/antiviral-therapy/ivermectin/
There are insufficient data for the COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel (the Panel) to recommend either for or against the use of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19. Results from adequately powered, well-designed, and well-conducted clinical trials are needed to provide more specific, evidence-based guidance on the role of ivermectin in the treatment of COVID-19.
At that point cue their arguments the vaccines aren't either, but that's much more easily refutable, ivermectin doesn't even have emergency use authorization or trials with the sample size of last year's vaccine rollouts. Of course the NIH and CDC are in cahoots with BIG PHARMA so it's a never ending cycle, but may be good link to put out there for anyone on the sidelines of the Facebook argument that could still be reached.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It’s pretty clear reasoning with antivaxxers won’t help, shaming doesn’t work either (too dumb to admit they’re wrong)

So, what then ? authoritarian measures, or perhaps going after those who spread misinformation? loving Facebook is responsible for this

Economic incentives seem pretty flaccid so far

How do you fight stupidity in a situation where it might get non-idiots killed too

remember when this was kicking off and some people were saying that america is constitutionally and socially incapable of handling this?

we're socially and constitutionally incapable of handling this

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Then have a clause for that in said passport. You can get the vaccine literally anywhere for free and in some places get paid for it.

yes and no, a lot of employers refuse to give time off to get the shot, or to recover from the symptoms. and there are no protections for laborers :911:. decentralized infinite-sustained-growth capitalism is incompatible with a severe global pandemic... you have to get rid of one or the other, and the virus certainly isn't going anywhere!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Fur20 posted:

yes and no, a lot of employers refuse to give time off to get the shot, or to recover from the symptoms. and there are no protections for laborers :911:. decentralized infinite-sustained-growth capitalism is incompatible with a severe global pandemic... you have to get rid of one or the other, and the virus certainly isn't going anywhere!

Yeah I joked in the vaccine thread we had going that not everyone was a work from home white collar employee that could go in Wednesday morning and take a 5 day weekend to recover without anyone giving a poo poo and literally within the same page someone posted that they were in the middle of doing exactly that. There's a very willful blindness in America along class lines for stuff like this.

Try to schedule a vaccine that may or may not lay you out for 2 days around 2 part time job schedules that spit out seemingly random shifts each week. No sick time or pto available and you probably will get fired if you call in.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 8, 2021

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c7ety0HUd4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

There is literally no place in America that an eligible person cannot just drop in to Walmart or Costco or Walgreens and get vaccinated in like 5 minutes except in the extreme boonies of like North Dakota reservation towns or something but those are massive edge cases

The vaccine is available to like 99.99 of the eligible population right now. If people don’t get vaccinated at this point after having months and months to do it, they never will. No real living American is truly THAT busy.