Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

I can answer your question with a single word, berserker.

PoB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Don’t they attack once

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Yolomon Wayne posted:

90% of this is reddits work though.
The amount of people who "have 40/40 in every league ever but THIS time i quit after 2 days" is staggering.

Then you check their profile lol. :D

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah that dps seems a bit weird but its still hella strong

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

Don’t they attack once

They attack once, and you can only warcry once every 1.5 seconds or so, so I think the true DPS in that example might be Average Hit x 5 Warriors x 0.75 cooldown for like 4.875m DPS? Or maybe 10 if "Average Hit" isn't counting the overlapping.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Oh, also, all of the General's Cry attacks count as Exerted so you can take the increased Exerted Attack Damage things on the tree and cluster jewel notables like Rattling Bellow.

Note: Blade Flurry can not be exerted. Though I can't find right now where I saw that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I doubt you'd get 100% overlap but I haven't played the GC version.

I think POB can calucaulate the true DPS if you add it into "full DPS"

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Missing a lot of context on this one - is this like a "video games as an art form" take or something? Only way what he said makes any sense imo

There is a lot here, but the big things he's likely referencing is how WoW has become so concerned with 'engagement' that there now exist a ton of systems that no one likes, but exist because players do them because they provide good rewards for time. The devs keep making them because the metrics look good, but they have failed to understand why engagement is high, and maybe even why players are upset the systems exist at all. The end result is players are mad and devs don't know why - they keep working on 'systems with high engagement', failing to understand it's the reason for the an upset player base. This definitely peaked in BFA, but pieces of it still exist in Shadowlands.

Player count is a super bad metric. If you use it as a metric of game health, you are dooming yourself to make an inoffensive game with every edge sanded off that prioritizes hollow, short term happiness. You will end up constraining your audience, but the audience you gain will be less fickle and more permanent, and you end up with a lot of word-of-mouth marketing. Casting the widest net with simpler, rewarding system is a good business strategy in the short term, but games like this do not do well in the long term at all.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

There is a lot here, but the big things he's likely referencing is how WoW has become so concerned with 'engagement' that there now exist a ton of systems that no one likes, but exist because players do them because they provide good rewards for time. The devs keep making them because the metrics look good, but they have failed to understand why engagement is high, and maybe even why players are upset the systems exist at all. The end result is players are mad and devs don't know why - they keep working on 'systems with high engagement', failing to understand it's the reason for the an upset player base. This definitely peaked in BFA, but pieces of it still exist in Shadowlands.

Player count is a super bad metric. If you use it as a metric of game health, you are dooming yourself to make an inoffensive game with every edge sanded off that prioritizes hollow, short term happiness. You will end up constraining your audience, but the audience you gain will be less fickle and more permanent, and you end up with a lot of word-of-mouth marketing. Casting the widest net with simpler, rewarding system is a good business strategy in the short term, but games like this do not do well in the long term at all.

I 100% agree with this. It's very similar where I work with statistics - they're an incredibly powerful tool but can be easily misapplied to draw incorrect conclusions.

Assuming this was GGG's intent with 3.15, I think they are making the right call but they faceplanted the execution imo. Chris admitted they were anticipating a drop-off, but I have to imagine it was much more severe than they planned for. I feel like so much of this could have been avoided if these changes were paired with balance on the other side - reduction/elimination of timers, balancing of monster speed/damage/aggression, etc. I just wonder if GGG considered this or didn't feel it would be a big deal? It's one thing if they just didn't have the time/resources to tackle that in this patch, but if they genuinely thought 3.15 was gonna make the game feel better standalone lol.

I'll also note that I'm having fun with 3.15, but it's in spite of the changes and not because of them (literally only played Raider builds so far). Also the Expedition mechanic rules and I hope they don't blame it for this league's poor showing cause it needs to go core imo.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Just got a "Last one Standing", checked for the price and lmao, Disfavour 4c.
Dark times, dark times indeed.

My only wish for next league is to buff that thing, i really love it but its SO outclassed by any half assed rare nowadays.
Well, if they buff it, id also wish to get one of course.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I found a Kaom's Heart this league and I don't care that it's been a literal decade since it was an endgame chase item with +1,000 hp. I've been after one for years and it's still beautiful in my heart.

That said I wouldn't mind 1.0 Kaom's coming back.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I wouldnt mind if you could play righteous fire past yellow maps.

To be honest, i wouldnt mind if you could play simple skills like for example cyclone, without needing 7 influenced mcguffins and a tripple elevated sockpuppet on a timeless clusterjewel arrangement to get through reds comfortably.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Missing a lot of context on this one - is this like a "video games as an art form" take or something? Only way what he said makes any sense imo

He's saying you want a company to make a good game that is fun, not to make a game that incentivizes and actively chases metrics over player experience.

Things that drive maximum engagement are almost, to a rule, totally antithetical to people actually enjoying a game. moreover, over-encouraging metric juicing gameplay stats extremely consistently burns players out in a way where they are likely to just quit once they realize that they are overall having an unfun time with a game. this is significant in the context of ggg where they specifically pioneered the 'play while you have fun, then take time off and come back when there's new content' approach to running a game-as-a-service (and ff14 is currently running on that principle to incredible success)

boredsatellite posted:

This guy sounds like a moron

lightee is probably top 3 poe racers currently, though he'll likely drop a couple spots cuz they just destroyed slams and he was probably the single best slams player period.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 8, 2021

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
While I agree that purely chasing metrics is bad for the aforementioned reasons, I can't help but chuckle about how previous times they'd point to their growth league after league as proof they were making good decisions, then this league "oh its just a vanity metric."

I didn't even bother getting to maps this league, but I'm hoping once poe2 arrives that these types of nerfs have been balanced with monster damage, toning down / removing one shots, etc to just provide a more cohesive experience. Just feels like balance this league was just a fraction done of a bigger picture.

I also wish they'd just kill the current flask system and rethink it from the ground up, but not holding my breath after how they tried to "address" the problems this league.

I will miss things being zoomier overall though, and less of a slog. (Yes, I know you can still make fast builds, but a lot less options)

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just got a "Last one Standing", checked for the price and lmao, Disfavour 4c.
Dark times, dark times indeed.

My only wish for next league is to buff that thing, i really love it but its SO outclassed by any half assed rare nowadays.
Well, if they buff it, id also wish to get one of course.

I would love them to buff starforge and some of the melee unique weapons that are no longer chase items.

Hell we need more chase items that drop from end game bosses to be valuable again.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Player numbers aside, what they did makes the game less fun to play.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

boredsatellite posted:

I would love them to buff starforge and some of the melee unique weapons that are no longer chase items.

Hell we need more chase items that drop from end game bosses to be valuable again.

there are so many trash uniques now, it's sad. i'd be fine with the overall unique droprate being lowered in exchange for a balance pass of the bad ones

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I actively avoid unique-nodes in expedition, cause its just alchemy shards which i dont need anymore.
The chances of landing a unique thats actually worth something are so abysmal, its best to not bother imho.

Which is why gwennen might as well not be in the game.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I think CBA said this already, but their intention is for players to actually notice and respond to the details of enemies and combat effects. So the next step isn't nerfing things on one side so it's back to what it was, but rather to actually make anything at all even a tony bit loving clear to the player.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

This is the wild thing. I died in a T7 with no damage mods, and with no auras. I'll see if I can get a video uploaded of it because it's just completely bizarre...

Gif: https://gfycat.com/secondspicybarracuda

The only thing I can think of is that it's some kind of super chaos damage hit and the regular-rear end monsters hit you for 8k with one projectile and the second projectile next to it finished the job before the ignite could.

Jazerus posted:

there are so many trash uniques now, it's sad. i'd be fine with the overall unique droprate being lowered in exchange for a balance pass of the bad ones

They did a balance pass some years ago that slightly improved the power level of most uniques, especially the lower level ones that could find a place in some niche build, but after that they buffed rares and added influenced mods that could do what some uniques did but better.

They are due for another unique item pass, even if it's just for harder to acquire uniques.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

qnqnx posted:

Note: Blade Flurry can not be exerted. Though I can't find right now where I saw that.

It's a channeled skill and those can never be exerted.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Any chance to make the good old meatball cyclone viable these days?
LIke with some form of cwc-something to support the molten burst or anything?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Last league I saw someone using Ngamahu's for a CwC bf/bb but I'm sure it won't work now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ngamau cyclone got hurt a lot when they nerfed 2h unique damage a few patches ago. It was on life support then anyway . Then you need to go far on the tree to get point blank and up to EO.

It’s still a fun build but outclassed entirely by staff fire cyclone

Also axe isn’t the most ideal cyclone weapon when staff and swords are there

euphronius fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 8, 2021

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Just thinking, since its got 60% phys to fire on the axe, you could simply annoint magmatic strikes on your amulet, craft 20% on your gloves and play it on something else other than chieftain.
Like shadow for crit or or trickster for free cyclone, or elemtalist dont know, im not good enough to come up ith this kind of poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just thinking, since its got 60% phys to fire on the axe, you could simply annoint magmatic strikes on your amulet, craft 20% on your gloves and play it on something else other than chieftain.
Like shadow for crit or or trickster for free cyclone, or elemtalist dont know, im not good enough to come up ith this kind of poo poo.

There is another 20% conversion node before magm strikes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Slayer was always a great ngamahu cycloner

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

There is another 20% conversion node before magm strikes.

I know, but you can only annoint one.
I was looking for ways to not be forced into that corner.

Do the meatballs count as spell, i.e. do they scale with spell damage?

elementalist looks nice actually, no elemental reflect meins no reflect at all, always ignite, and so on.
dont know if theres a build down there, but ill gently caress around with pob a bit tomorrow.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My one wish is they would make a few more fire skills use endurance charges so I could use Valako more

I love that node

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I know, but you can only annoint one.
I was looking for ways to not be forced into that corner.

Do the meatballs count as spell, i.e. do they scale with spell damage?

elementalist looks nice actually, no elemental reflect meins no reflect at all, always ignite, and so on.
dont know if theres a build down there, but ill gently caress around with pob a bit tomorrow.

Molten burst is a projectile attack like the balls in molten strike

Ignite would be useless on a elementalist because you aren’t scaling it. You’d do golem shell, and I go over to heart of destruction

The problem with witch is you are across the tree from point blank

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Use the support gem, didn't you know all supports are viable now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A ngamahu inquisitor would also work I think with regen and ignoring residences

But you will have low top end damage compared to just doing staff cyclone

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Scion maybe? She also gets elemental reflect immunity and is close enough to point blank i guess...
Second class though?
Gladiator for block? Deadeye?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Chieftain for Covered in Ash imho

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Scion is not the ideal choice for most things.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

This is the wild thing. I died in a T7 with no damage mods, and with no auras. I'll see if I can get a video uploaded of it because it's just completely bizarre...

There's some sort of green spark out of nowhere that did 7k damage to you right after you hit Immortal Call. Then a projectile finished you off. Probably a monster ability that glitched its hitbox and landed next to you instead of wherever it was supposed to go.

I blame that weird green orb monster, what is that thing?

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 9, 2021

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lightee is probably top 3 poe racers currently, though he'll likely drop a couple spots cuz they just destroyed slams and he was probably the single best slams player period.

You realize this doesn’t mean he’s got a good point here, right? And that it’s a pretty hard misread of why people started dropping out of wow?

Wasn’t tytykiller also one of the best? Didn’t he throw a fit and stream d3 on launch day?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

But honestly do staff cyclone if you want to do ngamahu

It’s so much better

Shockwave is better than the balls

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

One of these yellow lines hit you and did over 4k dmg to your es in a single hit with immortal call. After that you walk down and get hit again.

This is why I usually run away from harvest packs and hope they die off screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

1000 life 5000 es does not sound like a lot for HC