Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

Reminder that this series of strip ran in 2002. Considering what happened only a few years later, this can be extremely funny or extremely depressing, depending on how you look at it.

Holbrook was looking back at the popping of the dotcom bubble here, rather than exercising any prophetic powers (or... was he?)

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/7/01

Brenda Starr 1/2-4/47

Smokey Stover 9/13/42

Richard's Poor Almanac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "179 - Jucika's Dance Ensemble"

"180 - Jucika Arrives From A Summer Vacation" NSFW Nudity

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Judge Parker (June 2020)

Alan and Katherine got covid.

They're going to be fine. But it's made Alan reevaluate his priorities.

And now it's time to think about the real victims of this pandemic: the wealthy!

Then it's back to the campaign.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Classic Zits

Sylvia

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

I love F Minus's social commentary.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

A little surprised they quoted Jordan Peterson.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward

Ooooookay.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

BigglesSWE posted:

In what loving universe would “Lisa’s Legacy” be considered a potential hit in Hollywood?
I don't think you understand.

She died.

Of caaaaaaaaaaaancer!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't it all being funded by the hollywood smug-blond? He's probably thinking low-budget Oscar bait.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm sure Lisa's Story would be a mega hit on the Hallmark Channel.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

BigglesSWE posted:

In what loving universe would “Lisa’s Legacy” be considered a potential hit in Hollywood?

You're missing the big picture here. Les Moore loved a girl who died. How many times in human history has that even happened?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Johnny Walker posted:

Flash Forward

Ooooookay.
Not great but I honestly prefer it to the aren't-we-silly webcomicky strips these usually are.

Vater und Sohn: Trouble falling asleep (1935/09)

Last one was single panel, this one's double length.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This is the weirdest product placement I've seen in a newspaper comic strip.

Mostly because I can't remember seeing product placement in one before.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (February 3, 1996)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mercury Hat posted:

The comic strips with similar product placement I can remember off hand is the Family Circus Warhammer 40k one and I think Tinkersons put the logo of a local waterpark into the comic once.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mercury Hat posted:

Tinkersons did really blatant pp with that random water park (twice!).

There's lot of brand name mentions (Peloton in Dustin, Alexa or Apple in everything) and pop culture name drops (Sally Forth, Boondocks etc.), but I don't think those count.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have you so soon forgotten the Peloton advert?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This payoff better be loving amazing considering what a slog the set up has been.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm sure Lisa's Story would be a mega hit on the Hallmark Channel.

They'd have to throw in a whole lot of Jesus, or an invisible child or two.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pancho Jueves posted:

How hard is it for two adults to keep tabs on one kid :psyduck:

It was the 80's/early 90's. Watching your drat kids hadn't been invented yet.

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "179 - Jucika's Dance Ensemble"

I'm assuming this is depicting some delightful Hungarian folk dance I don't know about?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

They'd have to throw in a whole lot of Jesus, or an invisible child or two.

Even better: two people falling in love; especially if they hated each other first and one came from a rural area and the other was a stereotypical city dweller.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Or somehow make the whole multiple-year-long story happen at Christmas.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

BigglesSWE posted:

in the same one that Batuik dreams of every night, where cartoonists are worshiped as gods among men

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm assuming this is depicting some delightful Hungarian folk dance I don't know about?

straightforwardly enough, the Hungarian ''bottle dance'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_eOqBkJ-2U

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Somehow, I think that Jucika's bottle has something different in it than the ladies at BYU have in theirs.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I hope the next several weeks of Rex Morgan is this girl explaining the plots and premises of various anime she likes

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

somepartsareme posted:

I hope the next several weeks of Rex Morgan is this girl explaining the plots and premises of various anime she likes

“All of the characters represent different countries in World War II!”

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

somepartsareme posted:

"And so he confesses that he admires Deku, but it's really hard to see if that's just a little weird translation choice or if that's something deeper like romance, so I'm waiting for the next installment."

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Hey yo wtf Rex Morgan coming directly at me like this. You son of a bitch! :mad:

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Didn't Les's self-indulgent bathos story about Lisa already get optioned once? Or did Batiuk forget to take that off the wheel of plot?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Presto posted:

I don't think you understand.

She died.

Of caaaaaaaaaaaancer!

Lisa's Story goes ignored by the general public except Red Letter Media somehow finds it and loses their poo poo over it, leading to Les travelling to Milwaukee to confront them and turning into a corncob.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Cobalt-60 posted:

Didn't Les's self-indulgent bathos story about Lisa already get optioned once? Or did Batiuk forget to take that off the wheel of plot?

Is that the one where he didn't let it happen because they wouldn't do it justice somehow? Lisa's Story isn't just a revolutionary best-seller in Funky world it's something multiple movie studios have pitched for and dude is dumping on his wife about the comped rent-a-car. It's hard to imagine how these two met unless we assume she went for the ultimate settling. "Well, he's alive."

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 8, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kavak posted:

Lisa's Story goes ignored by the general public except Red Letter Media somehow finds it and loses their poo poo over it, leading to Les travelling to Milwaukee to confront them and turning into a corncob.

Honorable Men is million times worse than Funky Winkerbean or anything else that has been posted in this thread

Kennel fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 8, 2021

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think it would have to turn up on a wheel or black tape session.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

BotW: Hallmark Emotional Manipulation Christian Propaganda Round. A Kirk Cameron film will win and Lisa's Story will be shot with an arrow fired by Rich dressed as Cupid.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

So given that this will be the last mention of Bruno, here is a post I've been wanting to share for a while. Feel free to skip this if you don't care about the whole Bobbins soap opera plot.

The first part is from the Bobbins.horse digital comic for sale on Allison's Gumroad store. This was the excerpt from the strips about Bruno

John Allison posted:

On retracing the old Bobbins comics, Bruno was the hardest part of the the story to work out. He was Shelley's boyfriend, he appeared in a week of comics, he was an ugly parody of the sort of terrible man that goes out with that girl you like, because that girl you like likes tough fellows, not twenty-something milquetoasts obsessed with indie music who can't drive.

Bruno appeared for his starring week, then disappeared, and apart from a brief mention that he and Shelley had broken up (of course they had!), that was that. None of this had ever made sense in the context of the character, and I'd ignored it because it didn't really matter any more. Now, suddenly it did. Bruno was a tree across the road that had to be moved.

The answer was easy, really. Bruno wasn't the parody, he was the real thing. Not a monster, but an unreconstructed blue-collar man who loves Shelley and she loves him back. Their relationship has survived her time at university, but while in many ways she's outgrown him, she's not given up on something with deep roots. Once I understood that, Bruno made sense. Of course he doesn't get on with her friends. Of course he doesn't fit. At that point I felt sorry for him and the real work could begin.

Poor old Bruno

Second, here are the strips from the original Bobbins comic, be warned that this was Allison's first comic, so the art and writing are, to put it, rather raw.

Bruno's first appearance near the end of 1998;

Then, near the end of 1999, Shelley was running a “Flu Cam” while she was sick, which lead to Bruno dumping her;

amigolupus posted:

I'm still sad that when Shelley turned Bruno down in this flashback, it didn't lead to them meeting and getting back together in the Bad Machinery story that was running at the same time. Bruno seemed like an alright guy, and a way better choice than Tim Jones.

If it makes you feel any better, if you go by Allison's comments on his Patreon and the Steeple website Shelley probably turned down Tim Jones as well.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

~Coxy posted:

Dark Side of the Circus
:sickos:

BigglesSWE posted:

the one where tom batiuk batton thomas is a celebrated cartoonist.

Bogor

Classic Cat

[Suikawari ("watermelon splitting") is a traditional Japanese game resembling the piñata, except you're just trying to split open a watermelon to share with others when you're out enjoying summer.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

[Suikawari ("watermelon splitting") is a traditional Japanese game resembling the piñata, except you're just trying to split open a watermelon to share with others when you're out enjoying summer.]

Killer avatar/comic combo, there.