Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Economic incentives seem pretty flaccid so far

Weak economic incentives didn't yield much but strong negative DISincentives (loss of employment, inability or difficulty to get employment, having to pay for a biweekly swab etc.) are only just now BEGINNING to happen. I'm pretty sure they will have a lot bigger effect than a lottery ticket or free beer or ice cream.

I'll bet that if a lot of places make stuff like dining in and bars, travel, difficult or impossible for the unvaxed it will have a strong effect.

These won't get everyone but I'd be willing to bet they will get the lion's share of what's left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

AHH F/UGH posted:

There is literally no place in America that an eligible person cannot just drop in to Walmart or Costco or Walgreens and get vaccinated in like 5 minutes except in the extreme boonies of like North Dakota reservation towns or something but those are massive edge cases

The vaccine is available to like 99.99 of the eligible population right now. If people don’t get vaccinated at this point after having months and months to do it, they never will. No real living American is truly THAT busy.

Don't you post in the dumb poo poo your work thread constantly complaining you may have to return to the office and that might take away all the free time you have in the morning and afternoon while technically on the clock because you only actually work for a couple hours a day?

Those Walgreens and Walmarts are staffed by people who do not have those same privileges.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
Maybe this photo circulating around FL and TX would help

VERY NMS!!!!!

compshateme85 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 8, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Jesus, maybe only show the link and expand on the NMS so a lazy mouseover doesn't reveal that.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Isn't there like a low 4 figure number of ECMOs in US anyways? Ain't nobody getting that, you'll just die in a hallway lmao

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Stats don't work on the chuds, shocking images have a better chance.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Electric shock worked really well on taser ball guy.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Galewolf posted:

Jesus, maybe only show the link and expand on the NMS so a lazy mouseover doesn't reveal that.

No
Share it everywhere
I wish there were pictures everywhere of people that are vented

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

compshateme85 posted:

VERY NMS!!!!!
(yeah I'm not quoting that!-fb)

that guy ate too good in the neighborhood :smith:

Colonel Cancer posted:

Isn't there like a low 4 figure number of ECMOs in US anyways? Ain't nobody getting that, you'll just die in a hallway lmao

they might start parking ambulances again so it might be an ambulance. I'm honestly completely terrified right now of like, breaking my ankle doing farm stuff and having to go to the hospital.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

if you can't find the time to get a vaccine you probably can't find the time to eat out or go to a movie or bar.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wendigee posted:

if you can't find the time to get a vaccine you probably can't find the time to eat out or go to a movie or bar.

going out to eat or catching a movie takes a couple hours. if you have bad side effects you will be laid out for a week

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Fur20 posted:

going out to eat or catching a movie takes a couple hours. if you have bad side effects you will be laid out for a week

If you don't get vaccinated and die you will be laid out forever.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if you can't find the time to get a vaccine you probably are working at the place people go to eat out or go to a movie or bar.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
It's pretty obvious that when most people ITT complain about anti-maskers or anti-vaxxers that they're complaining about the 25% of the country who believe Covid is a conspiracy. Yes capitalism puts up barriers to some people getting the vaccine. Yes a few people have legitimate reasons not to wear a mask. That's not who we're complaining about.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 8, 2021

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Fur20 posted:

i mean okay.... lets see how that reaction goes with the actual infection instead of a controlled introduction I guess. Probably not going to be good.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Spinz posted:

No
Share it everywhere
I wish there were pictures everywhere of people that are vented

This is not some facebook chudlord space that require shock value, people post here to celebrate getting their vaccines and pretty much aware of the consequences of rona. Normally (I mean, not an official thing but common practice), NWS posts are only img linked and have something like :nms: with some explanation on them. I know what you're getting at but it could be done in a more controlled way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AHH F/UGH posted:

There is literally no place in America that an eligible person cannot just drop in to Walmart or Costco or Walgreens and get vaccinated in like 5 minutes except in the extreme boonies of like North Dakota reservation towns or something but those are massive edge cases

The vaccine is available to like 99.99 of the eligible population right now. If people don’t get vaccinated at this point after having months and months to do it, they never will. No real living American is truly THAT busy.

It’ll just be an ever more elaborate set of excuses and moving goalposts talking about Americans who don’t have a car, can’t ride the bus, can’t take a bike, can’t catch a ride, can’t walk, work 24/7, will be fired the instant they take a break, etc. etc. etc.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Fallom posted:

It’ll just be an ever more elaborate set of excuses and moving goalposts talking about Americans who don’t have a car, can’t ride the bus, can’t take a bike, can’t catch a ride, can’t walk, work 24/7, will be fired the instant they take a break, etc. etc. etc.

they MIGHT get sick FROM the vaccine, then they would be out of work for A WEEK.

Good news is that if you're workplace would fire you for severe vaccine symptoms you are working at walmart and can move to target with a pay raise due to the fact that every place is underemployed right now I guess.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Galewolf posted:

This is not some facebook chudlord space that require shock value, people post here to celebrate getting their vaccines and pretty much aware of the consequences of rona. Normally (I mean, not an official thing but common practice), NWS posts are only img linked and have something like :nms: with some explanation on them. I know what you're getting at but it could be done in a more controlled way.
Sorry you fatfingered the yucky pic

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Fur20 posted:

we've had this discussion hundreds of times. the actual data doesn't support this. the vast vast majority of people who are unvaccinated are so because they choose to be for whatever reason

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Vaccine commissars on every street corner and hospital-gulags for resistors

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

DickParasite posted:

It's pretty obvious that when people ITT complain about anti-maskers or anti-vaxxers that they're complaining about the 25% of the country who believe Covid is a conspiracy. Yes capitalism puts up barriers to some people getting the vaccine. Yes a few people have legitimate reasons not to wear a mask. That's not who we're complaining about.

For real. From https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/poll-finding/kff-covid-19-vaccine-monitor-july-2021/

Any time I'm talking about the unvaccinated, I'm talking about the 27% (as of July 2021) that said "definitely not" or "only if required" or "I'm not sure" - not the 3% who said they plan to get it as soon as it's feasible for them to do so.

If someone doesn't want to get the vaccine because of economic barriers then they deserve their place squarely in the 27% with everyone else who doesn't want the vaccine, they're just using the economic barriers as justification for their refusal. I don't feel like those 27% have a place at the dinner table with the real adults, barring the infinitesimally small number of them who said "definitely not" due to legitimate medical reasons.

This pre-covid study estimates that approximately 2.7% of US adults are immunocompromised or immunosuppressed: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2572798
So we're looking at around 24% at least (giving some wiggle room for non-immunosuppression reasons to avoid the vaccine such as allergies [study showing a ~0.001% allergic reaction rate to individuals given the pfizer shot]) of US adults who have no valid excuse for not wanting the vaccine.

More than 8 out of 10 US adults who are unvaccinated right now are loving idiots.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 8, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My idiot (former nurse) cousin didn't get it yet but apparently told my dad she might because it would probably be required to fly. She has young kids but the potential inconvenience is apparently the deciding factor for her.
I had obviously severely misjudged her character before all this--it sucks but I guess it's better to know.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

yeah all them blacks and poors should stop being stupid and lazy and get vaccinated

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Fallom posted:

And low wage jobs are desperate for people right now. Just get another one if they actually fire you.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Fallom posted:

imagine applying this statement to something like voting

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mulaney Power Move posted:

yeah all them blacks and poors should stop being stupid and lazy and get vaccinated

Should they get vaccinated?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Should they get vaccinated?

they should embrace the mark of the beast :twisted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

compshateme85 posted:

Gaaahhh

I thought ECMO was something COOL! Or a drug or something

Jeez

If you're sick enough to need that, can you even agree to it? Or do they just choose it for you?

because if I'm ever in need of that I might just ask them to let me go

Also what percentage of people on ECMO actually make it?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gaaahhh

Jeez

If you're sick enough to need that, can you even agree to it? Or do they just choose it for you?

Get someone you trust to hold your medical power of attorney, and have a long talk with them about your wishes.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Get someone you trust to hold your medical power of attorney, and have a long talk with them about your wishes.

I was just thinking to myself of how to formalize a living will like "give it a shot but don't try too hard hey? And no Darth Vader poo poo" I guess this is it lol

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Gaaahhh

It's a last resort and it's low.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chomposaur posted:

I was just thinking to myself of how to formalize a living will like "give it a shot but don't try too hard hey? And no Darth Vader poo poo" I guess this is it lol

Getting a power of attorney was pretty easy, you just fill out some forms, get it notarized, and keep it in a safe place.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

DickParasite posted:

It's pretty obvious that when most people ITT complain about anti-maskers or anti-vaxxers that they're complaining about the 25% of the country who believe Covid is a conspiracy. Yes capitalism puts up barriers to some people getting the vaccine. Yes a few people have legitimate reasons not to wear a mask. That's not who we're complaining about.

This. Conflating "want the vaccine but can't" with "anti-vax MAGAt" is more than a little disingenuous.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

compshateme85 posted:

Plus I've heard there's some fairly significant ongoing side effects if you do survive it too.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

compshateme85 posted:

It's actually basically a coin flip. Survival rate estimates range from the low 60s to somewhere in the 40s for COVID-19 patients depending on the study.

But either way something that is definitely worth trying, especially for younger patients. It's a last resort for sure but it's not something like a 95% mortality rate, patients have a pretty decent chance of surviving.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 9, 2021

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's actually basically a coin flip. Survival rate estimates range from the low 60s to somewhere in the 40s for COVID-19 patients depending on the study.

But either way something that is definitely worth trying, especially for younger patients.

You know the machines are mostly going to be used on some rich old gently caress while the young people die in a heap in the hallway though

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Gaaahhh

Jeez

I'm sure that is something you would have the opportunity to say no to. It's far too expensive and invasive. I'm sure I'd say no to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Spinz posted:

I'm sure that is something you would have the opportunity to say no to. It's far too expensive and invasive. I'm sure I'd say no to it.

Honest question, would you rather die at that point? I'm guessing if it's offered you're pretty short on options.

What are the alternatives for someone who needs this level of care? Ventilator?