Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

kalvanoo posted:

how do i get decent at limited

first you have set money on fire for a long time sucking at limited...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

kalvanoo posted:

how do i get decent at limited

Draft a lot, watch draft videos, etc.

I'm middling to average at limited and still have not been lacking for wildcards in a long long time.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also there is a "Secret GP" today being held in New Jersey. Being held in a convention hall and everything. 70 people showed up and its a shitshow, but thats not important.

What is important is the playmat.

https://twitter.com/ImproPhilo/status/1424012952710041600?s=20

Thats a sick playmat, and as a bonus you get literally sick

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Tbf even i, a horrible player, was able to play limited on the coins you get from missions and making back the money in the draft. I dont think you have to throw money at arena for limited at least.

However that was back when my comp could play arena without it crashing so they perhaps changed the money rate in the past year

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Limited is ranked, so at least at the start you might be playing people who suck even more. I think “don’t play more than two colours without an extremely good reason” and “know the basic rules of the game” is probably enough to put you among the elite players of bronze rank

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Play more limited.

i did this but i ran out of gems and they changed the buy in from 5000 to 10000 gold

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
As someone said in this thread a while back, the whole point of the Arena economy is that most people will not be able to do well and play lots of drafts for free.

If you can draft well without spending tons of money on gems, that's great, but most people can't and never will. That's just the reality.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just spend money

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Watch Kenji Egashira/Numotthenummy and Caleb Durward draft and you'll learn a lot about drafting well

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also there is a "Secret GP" today being held in New Jersey. Being held in a convention hall and everything. 70 people showed up and its a shitshow, but thats not important.

I know a few people who went and i"ve been texting them what idiots they are all day lol. 85 bucks for a main event where if you finish 5-8 you get 80 bucks of store credit.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 7, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I know a few people who went and i"ve been texting them what idiots they are all day lol. 85 bucks for a main event where if you finish 5-8 you get 80 bucks of store credit.

Its without a doubt the worst event payout I have ever heard of.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Once you're done drawing goku why would you bother drawing anything else

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Its without a doubt the worst event payout I have ever heard of.

They were also charging 30 bucks just to get in the venue and there were no side events.

Also this store that was the TO for this event had been holding events all throughout COVID which is the main reason I didn't go. I'm not supporting that poo poo.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I know cracking packs is a fools game, but there is something about that vampiric tutor foil I just got from commander legends that is so great. Going to add that to Oona.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I know cracking packs is a fools game, but there is something about that vampiric tutor foil I just got from commander legends that is so great. Going to add that to Oona.

cracking packs feels great, i just know that if I do it too often i won't stop

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

At first glance I thought it said "CGU TUG FEST 2021" and thought it was a funny forums reference.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

What if I don't like limited in the first place?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then pay money for packs?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kind of demoralizing tbqh

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then do what I do most of the time outside of the week or two after a set drops: play constructed, grind your dailies, and spend gold on cracking packs. I’ve been playing for a year and I basically have every set in historic at 75+% completion.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
To be clear Voxy is a streamer, she drafts like 8 hours a day for her job so of course she has a bunch of WCs. It’s not a useful comparison for the rest of us.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Couple quick questions –

1. What's the best way as an individual to sell singles? SA Mart, Ebay...? I've been digging through my collection and have a handful of older $10-50 ones laying about I wouldn't mind offloading for less than that.

2. Also, I've got a box of cards, mostly from unlimited, that I don't feel the need to lug around. Best option to offload it is to call around and see if any stores would take it as a donation, right?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

neaden posted:

To be clear Voxy is a streamer, she drafts like 8 hours a day for her job so of course she has a bunch of WCs. It’s not a useful comparison for the rest of us.

Does she even play constructed? I know Marshall from LR had like thousands of packs because he refused to open any and didn't play any constructed at all

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

MikeCrotch posted:

Does she even play constructed? I know Marshall from LR had like thousands of packs because he refused to open any and didn't play any constructed at all

I don't think so.

For selling cards it depends on how much work you want to put in. Selling on SA mart or Facebook has the highest money but highest risk and work. Selling to TCGplayer or your local store will pay less but be quicker and less risk of getting scammed.

neaden fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 8, 2021

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

MikeCrotch posted:

Pretty much never, but even if she did she probably has all the cards from opening prize packs anyway, aside from their ones that don't come from boosters like jump start or the historic anthologies.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

neaden posted:

I don't think so.

For selling cards it depends on how much work you want to put in. Selling on SA mart or Facebook has the highest money but highest risk and work. Selling to TCGplayer or your local store will pay less but be quicker and less risk of getting scammed.

I feel like selling on SA is safer and easier than TCG Player while netting about the same $$. I’m sure people have been scammed before but I honestly can’t think of any examples. I’ve personally had minor issues on SA as both a buyer and a seller but they were always worked out to everyone’s satisfaction.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The World Inferno posted:

Couple quick questions –

1. What's the best way as an individual to sell singles? SA Mart, Ebay...? I've been digging through my collection and have a handful of older $10-50 ones laying about I wouldn't mind offloading for less than that.

2. Also, I've got a box of cards, mostly from unlimited, that I don't feel the need to lug around. Best option to offload it is to call around and see if any stores would take it as a donation, right?

Unlimited cards are worth a bunch of money, you'd be better off selling them. Use the TCGPlayer app on your phone to scan everything and it'll tell you what your collection is worth.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The World Inferno posted:

Couple quick questions –

So if you want cash, yes sell them yourself.
I would avoid eBay, in my history if you price them low enough to sell quickly, between eBay and Paypal's cuts you don't end up much higher than what you would have gotten from selling to a shop for store credit. If time is no issue, I would carefully sell the higher end stuff on tcg player, itemize everything left and ask yourself what you can accept to sell at 40% to your LGS.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

you shouldn't sell to LGSs unless you want to dump a lot of dollar cards and you're not willing to spend the time to sort through them.

i've sold stuff in the SA-Mart thread. no issues so far.

i'm looking into ebay/tcg/etc but haven't researched too much into it.

ebay recently started offering a cheaper shipping/tracking option where if the cards you're sending are ungraded, <$20 in value, <= 3oz.. you can ship in a PWE for <$1. they also can scan your magic cards via the ebay app.

tcg as a first time seller is very confusing and i haven't sold anything on it yet because of it. their app is nice to keep track of my cards but their scanner is not the best. not only do you have to have proper light, you have to put it against a white background and foils or penny sleeves prevent it from getting scanned. lots of black cards are also difficult for the scanner to pick up. the most annoying thing though is it won't let you set what set your card is from, or they won't allow exclusion of sets. i don't have any judge promos, and this reprinted rare is not from a 2010 set. i've been scanning cards from one set for the last 20 minutes please just assume that set by default until i specify otherwise...

but yeah if people have recent experience selling.. that would be nice to know. looking to sell in SA and sell on one main site so i can build some rep.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

uggy posted:

cracking packs feels great, i just know that if I do it too often i won't stop

As someone who has been on-again, off-again with Magic since Revised…yeah, you’re right. I’m a pack-cracking addict.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What’s the rationale behind not giving EDH an x card wish board? Even if there’s no sideboard it seems like there’s a lot of cards that just don’t work.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The creators just don't want to. That's the rationale.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Aranan posted:

The creators just don't want to. That's the rationale.

I dont play edh but tbh i feel like there should be better reason then that

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Like, does adding a wishboard negatively affect the gameplay, if so, why? If they cant think of an actual reason then its probably good for the format

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Commander already has a ton of tutors which homogenizes games, adding wishboards would contribute to that which is probably something they want to avoid.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
I think a wishboard is the sort of thing that is easy enough to agree upon with your play group, and "no sideboard" is a fine default ruling.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
There's really no point in trying to guess about the reasonings behind a lot of their decisions. You just kind of roll with it. The format has been pretty stable yet diverse for years now, barring a brief period where flash/hulk was the dominant deck. That was addressed and it's back to being wide open.

[edit] It's called out explicitly in one of the rules for the format.

quote:

https://mtgcommander.net/index.php/rules/
Parts of abilities which bring other traditional card(s) you own from outside the game into the game (such as Living Wish; Spawnsire of Ulamog; Karn, the Great Creator; Wish) do not function in Commander.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the cutoff in price where selling on SA becomes not worth it? I have a bunch of cards ranging from 50 cents to $100, do I just stick everything less than $2 in a box and give it to an lgs?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

The Klowner posted:

What's the cutoff in price where selling on SA becomes not worth it? I have a bunch of cards ranging from 50 cents to $100, do I just stick everything less than $2 in a box and give it to an lgs?

It depends on you, but really if you look through your older U cards, make a generalized lot cost and you can probably offload it on SA.

Just make sure to look for tall money in there first. You can always just look for specific value cards first by using a site like Dawnglare.com to get a visual guide to the highest dollar take aways from a set.

I've bought and sold on SA for years and haven't had an issue. General magic sales are usually 10% under TCG low, and the buyer is generally asked to pay fees. That way everyone is as 'protected' as they can be. Hard case in a PWE has worked for me, but I've had people ship in cardboard taped together before.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I think the real question when it comes to wishboards in EDH is "what effect will this have on the format", and the answer seems obvious: it'll power it up. Wishes are basically tutors, tutors only exist to make decks more consistent, having access to a wishboard means being able to tutor up exact answers to specific threats, and none of that leads to gameplay that's fun or engaging to anyone other than the person Wishing for stuff.

EDH is better off without that