Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

d00kiemastah posted:

It’s been a long road,
In browns I must inspire fear

you've got FAITH... in Islaaaam
so I must bend and break thee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i thought the voyager scene was talking about the maquis world(s) getting clobbered, not the cardassians. what was the name of the voyager episode? (i understand this is difficult as the overwhelming majority of voyager episode titles are utterly perfunctory)

It was the episode where they got letters from home via the link they'd established with starfleet. Chakotay and Torres got word about the Dominion slaughtering the Maquis and Torres got depressed.

Episode name is "Hunters."

People make fun of DS9 for having long poetic names for episodes but at least they are relevant to the story and not one word nothings.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was the episode where they got letters from home via the link they'd established with starfleet. Chakotay and Torres got word about the Dominion slaughtering the Maquis and Torres got depressed.

Episode name is "Hunters."

People make fun of DS9 for having long poetic names for episodes but at least they are relevant to the story and not one word nothings.

"It's 2am, we've got a dozen stories in the can for the season, what're we calling this one?"

"Uhhh, gently caress it; Hunters"

"Good enough, next episode!..."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Blistex posted:

Why not just make the entire ship out of airlock door?

Indeed, or the window material even.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

hey what does "polarize the hull" mean in enterprise

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Glad you asked! Since all the aliens use beam weapons, they just made the hulls out of transparent aluminum and then polarized it so a fraction of the light would pass through. The aliens keep changing the polarity of their beams so they have to keep changing the degree of polarization in response. hth

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

They didn't have tactical shields. So they energized the hull plating in an effort to reduce the impact of charged particles. Since most weapons space faring cultures used were particle beams of some variety.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

according to memory alpha it just means they make the hull harder but i don't follow the physics behind it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

according to memory alpha it just means they make the hull harder but i don't follow the physics behind it
Does it help if the writers just find/replaced ‘raise the shields’ with ‘polarize the hull’?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Applying an opposite charge repels charged particles. This is how old CRT TVs and Monitors worked.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Electricize the outside metal mr. reed

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

"hull plating is at 40%"

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

odo’s sleep bucket must smell like absolute poo poo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Space Jam posted:

odo’s sleep bucket must smell like absolute poo poo

He goes through a Brita filter before he gets in there, and he washes it

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Applying an opposite charge repels charged particles. This is how old CRT TVs and Monitors worked.

I wanna be the guy who gets to hit the 'DEGAUSS" button

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjO2vVaxIWM

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Just got to Voyager S6E11 "Fair Haven." lolling at Captain Janeway definitely adjusting the dick slider on her custom love interest. Oh and also the cold-blooded wife murder.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Just got to Voyager S6E11 "Fair Haven." lolling at Captain Janeway definitely adjusting the dick slider on her custom love interest. Oh and also the cold-blooded wife murder.
It and Spirit Folk are so bad

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I enjoyed the ethics

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Didn't realize until tonight that Famke Janssen (AKA Jean Grey) was the lady in "The Perfect Mate" in the proto-Dax makeup who gives every male on the Enterprise except Data a boner. Also it's striking how much Daisy Ridley looks like young Famke.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

He goes through a Brita filter before he gets in there, and he washes it

that must feel like a good shower, he's got to pick up all sorts of crap just walking around the station

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The surface of his form is like a pudding skin by the time he gets to rest, he's gotta stir that poo poo back in

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

holy poo poo what episode is that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Applewhite posted:

What makes it worse is it's a story about fully committing to Holodeck addiction... after a story about the dangers of Holodeck addiction in "Pathfinder".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Polarised hull plating was based on some fancy-schmancy new materials the US army was researching at the time where when exposed to a polarised EM field they'd become a bunch tougher.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Polarised hull plating was based on some fancy-schmancy new materials the US army was researching at the time where when exposed to a polarised EM field they'd become a bunch tougher.

Should of just exposed them to cosmic rays instead. That poo poo stright up gives stuff superpowers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Last night my sister and I watched Rejoined and Starship Down.

From the summary of Rejoined I was expecting a boring Trill politics episode but I was surprised to find out it was more of a lesbian romance thing that only barely dipped into Trill culture and when it did, it stuck to what, to me, is the more interesting part of it, the reverence they give to the symbionts and how their culture is shaped around the mission of giving them as many new and different experiences as possible. Terry Farrell wasn't great at playing the teary-eyed heartbreak she really needed to get across, unfortunately.

Starship Down was fine. It's Disaster but not quite as good. All the individual bits were fine but they didn't really feel like they came together, and we still haven't had nearly as much time with the Defiant as we had with the Enterprise when Disaster aired, so there isn't as much attachment to the ship or as solid of a sense of place. Some nice personal development for the cast, a fair bit of airing out things that needed to be said, but all occurring inside little bubbles. Quark's subplot felt especially tacked on, like the writers couldn't figure out how to get the Defiant out here without bringing him along but struggled to find much for him to do.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Speaking of the Defiant -- why hasn't the Federation copied Romulan (or Klingon) cloaking technology on all their ships?

One reason I've heard is that such a device would only be useful for war, and so the ostensibly peace-minded Federation would think would send the wrong signals.
But surely a cloaking device would be extremely useful even on a peaceful civilian science vessel given the prime directive of not interfering in other species' development?

Another argument is that it was possibly a condition of their treaty with the Romulans and/or Klingons. But now that Romulus has been destroyed, and the Klingons and Federation are (or have been) allies?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Applewhite posted:

We all know what people use the holodeck for. Don't pretend you'd be any better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've watched too much star trek and now I've noticed that the musical theme for Timothy during Hero Worship in TNG was reused in the DS9 episode Equilibrium for the piano theme Joran Dax played.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Imagined posted:

Speaking of the Defiant -- why hasn't the Federation copied Romulan (or Klingon) cloaking technology on all their ships?

One reason I've heard is that such a device would only be useful for war, and so the ostensibly peace-minded Federation would think would send the wrong signals.
But surely a cloaking device would be extremely useful even on a peaceful civilian science vessel given the prime directive of not interfering in other species' development?

Another argument is that it was possibly a condition of their treaty with the Romulans and/or Klingons. But now that Romulus has been destroyed, and the Klingons and Federation are (or have been) allies?

In universe: it's because the Federation agreed not to develop cloaking tech as part of a peace treaty signed with the Romulans in the early 24th century. Main episode to watch regarding this is "The Pegasus" from TNG season 7.

Production reason: because spaceships look cool and you wanna show them off on TV

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Cloaking shoulda been a sensor trick and not the ship actually turning invisible or "going out of phase" or whatever

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Phase cloak best cloak

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Imagined posted:

In Picard, the Federation ships have cloaking devices. Or maybe it was S3 of Disco.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

in picard everything sucks my balls and isnt real. picard is actually in a coma due to his neurodegenerative disease and it's all a bizarre nightmare. in fact, everything after jj abrams trek is a picard dream.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Epicurius posted:

We all know what people use the holodeck for. Don't pretend you'd be any better.

I'd be a lot more creative than "slightly taller Irish man" you can believe that.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Applewhite posted:

I'd be a lot more creative than "slightly taller Irish man" you can believe that.

She knows what she likes.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My "Femboy Flotter" program has gotten me very rich in some sectors, and an arrest warrant in many others

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Just a thought, if a lady turns off the holodeck safeties, can she get pregnant?

Asking for a friend.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Computer, Treevis but with huge bazongas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Computer, adjust the character of Moriarty to be someone capable of sexually satisfying Data.