Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
or they might have bigger fish to fry

but again who does this appeal to, will it rope in the people who have spent $5000 on funko pops stored in a spare bedroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

They're old, retired and mentoring the new crew as your base staff ala batman beyond would be cool.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Honestly if they set it up after one of the times SHIELD fell and you’re trying to rebuild it as vampires, shrikes, skrulls, LMDs, escaped AIM projects, rogue mutants that Magneto hasn’t recruited yet, etc all rampaged freely, I’d probably pre-order it right away.

Hell, have Stark be the head of SHIELD (as he once was in the comics) so he can’t be doing Iron Man things and there’s a decent setup to start with.

e:

Wildcard: all the Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc are all prisoners on Battle World :getin:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 9, 2021

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Tony fakes the avengers getting kidnapped so him and the other avengers can get lit up in the basement of avengers HQ, so they send your squad of losers in instead

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The broader appeal of the game, once impressions start filtering in, will depend heavily on how much fun and variety there is in the generated characters, I think. I'm lukewarm on licensed superhero stuff, but making and fielding weirdo off-brand superheroes in Freedom Force was a blast. I don't know how well that sort of granularity would work in XCom (never had the patience for any of those massive kitchen-sink build-your-own-class mods), but I'll admit, it could be pretty fun to try to save the world using an eclectic gang of lovely D-tier superheroes - especially if their powers are a) relatively limited in power/scope (no godlike superbeings) and b) chosen at random, without any particular regard for a coherent theme (though obviously advancement should give more room for customization, letting you specialize or branch out).

Dracula is attacking New York! It's up to you, Commander, to take your team and save the city. You have a panicky retiree who can run really fast and summon insects, a gangly teenager who teleports uncontrollably when panicked and can freeze water, and a confused elementary schoolteacher who can throw cars but also randomly bursts into flames. Good luck!

e: if it's a set pool of superheroes a la Chimera Squad, they're gonna need really interesting interactions, both in dialogue and during tactical play. I'd still greatly prefer "Rejected Superhero Manager Simulator" though

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 9, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You get superhero backup but it’s just Hawkeye and he has a hangover

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You get superhero backup but it’s just Hawkeye and he has a hangover

No it's a legitimately insanely strong hero but he's like the bad guy from Megamind and the mission suddenly changes from "protect the civilians from Dracula" to "protect the civilians from Invincible Man, and also Dracula I guess"

e: you're just sprinting around blowing up cars before Invincible Man can carelessly throw them at an old age home in an effort to kill Dracula. In the distance, your insurance broker weeps openly

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mission modifier: mind-controller Hulk. I’d also like to see them somehow lean into Marvel time travel by doing an into the breach start over but now you have some additional intel on how poo poo’s going to play out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Credible Hulk

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm just not seeing "hardcore permadeath" being a thing in a marvel game

But superhero tactics can definitely be fun

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’d also like to see them somehow lean into Marvel time travel by doing an into the breach start over but now you have some additional intel on how poo poo’s going to play out.

Now that would be an interesting spin on the usual gameplay loop. The actual timeline you're playing out is both comparatively short and completely loving doomed, but your resident super-genius has almost finished their temporal communication device, allowing them to send a large volume of information to earlier in the timeline by transmitting you, their superintelligent bodiless AI creation, back in time. Whenever you go back, you bring any acquired research and your own memories, but everything else is back to square one. You must essentially play a series of much shorter losing campaigns, gathering research and foreknowledge (who betrays you, who's secretly a thrall to the evil guy, which villain can be won over to your side and how) until you're finally able to tip the balance and scratch out an impossible win with your lovely gang of no-name underdogs.

And then you unlock a new game mode, which adds another villain and is much, much harder, because that villain is an alternate-timeline version of you, gone full Skynet after concluding that victory is impossible without tyrannical power.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Plot twist: you were Agatha Zola all along!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

victrix posted:

They have to "retire".

Or something equally as low-stakes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

victrix posted:

Life model decoys as a tech you can research/uograde so that you can copy any lost/dead soldier.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
They die permanently but in true superhero fashion they will come back perfectly fine a few missions from now.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I would not be surprised if this supernatural stuff was a mouse mandate of some sort.

And suicide squad didn't do so hot, last I checked. Marvel fatigue may be coming, even if this is decent.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

StratGoatCom posted:

I would not be surprised if this supernatural stuff was a mouse mandate of some sort.

And suicide squad didn't do so hot, last I checked. Marvel fatigue may be coming, even if this is decent.

Suicide Squad is DC, not Marvel. And DC's movies have been a lot more volatile over the past decade than the Marvel juggernaut

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Black Widow also didn't do super, at least in theaters. Thought whether that's fatigue, that particular movie, or, you know.... *gestures at all this*

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Black Widow also launched on Disney+ (for like $30 additional fee) on the same day that it came out in cinemas, so that could have made up for disappointing theatre performance.

Of course, Scarlett Johansson is also suing Disney for that, since her contract said she got a cut of the profits from ticket sales, which probably didn't include a cut from Disney+, so that's probably bitten them in the rear end.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BW did well enough on D+ Premier or whatever it's called and Suicide Squad is out on HBO Max as well (for no additional cost) so I'm going to take a guess that most people simply watched it at home.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, with everyone getting bespoke streaming services that have movies the same day as theaters its going to really skew how well a movie does in comparison to before Covid. They're largely a black box that companies can say basically anything about so we're never really going to know how movies are performing any more on a 1:1 basis with how they did before.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

marshmallow creep posted:

Black Widow also didn't do super, at least in theaters. Thought whether that's fatigue, that particular movie, or, you know.... *gestures at all this*

'Yes'

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Didn't that E3 tweet say Firaxis would be announcing three games this year? I'm guessing all will be revealed at Gamescom in a couple of weeks.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kalko posted:

Didn't that E3 tweet say Firaxis would be announcing three games this year? I'm guessing all will be revealed at Gamescom in a couple of weeks.

marvel civ and... xcom? a new game?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Let's make some poorly justified predictions :

1. Civilization 7, because Gathering Storm came out in early 2019 and the year-long DLC pass that finished a few months ago had a long lead time and wouldn't have taken many resources from the main Civ team.

2. Xcom3, because what the hell else has Jake been working on since Xcom 2?

3. Marvel Xcom, because it was leaked.

The main thing going against this line-up would be two different Xcom games being announced at the same time. That's a lot of Xcom, but seriously, what has Jake been doing since 2017?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

I'd more likely guess a civ spinoff rather then 7.

3 seems likely.

Coda is likely that new IP mentioned.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Kalko posted:

I looked it up again, and the original story was Marvel XCOM, Codename Volt which was described as Cthulhu meets Saints Row, and (prepare your groans) Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands, a Borderlands spinoff.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I think the other two are 2K games, not specifically Firaxis, aren't they? I did some quick searching and I'm going to temper my expectations now and say that only one new Firaxis title will appear at Gamescom. Apparently a senior Riot dev joined them a few months ago for what is possibly a new project but I can't imagine they'd be ready to talk about that yet.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

What about that incredibly awful looking Xcom mobile game?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I looked it up again, and the original story was Marvel XCOM, Codename Volt which was described as Cthulhu meets Saints Row, and (prepare your groans) Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands, a Borderlands spinoff.

Not this gamescom, but IIRC an investor report is on record that Firaxis has more then one thing cooking right now.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Donnerberg posted:

It'll be hard autopsying vampires that explode into dust when they die.

*extended sound of Dr Vahlen inhaling through her nose, followed by a pause* "Whhhhoooaaaah...ugh, ahem!" *Vahlen clears her throat several times* "Commander, I have completed the autopsy of the blood-drinker."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

LonsomeSon posted:

*extended sound of Dr Vahlen inhaling through her nose, followed by a pause* "Whhhhoooaaaah...ugh, ahem!" *Vahlen clears her throat several times* "Commander, I have completed the autopsy of the blood-drinker."

Hey it worked for her Meld examination

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Ripper Swarm posted:

In non-superhero news, looks like a fairly big XCOM 2 overhaul mod came out over the weekend

Covert Infiltration
(plus the submods linked in the required items section)

From the description, this makes some very intriguing changes to the strategy layer. For most missions, you have to infiltrate squads into position ahead of time with the longer you take in the prep stage giving more bonuses in the tactical stage. But there are still missions that show up needing immediate response, so if all your good people are committed you have to either take it on with whoever's around or blow an op you're prepping to bring the deployed squad back. This also adds some new 'disguise' armour types that make the prep phase easier but aren't as good for fighting in.

One of the sub-mods brings back the OG XCOM 'build guns/armour one by one' as opposed to the XCOM 2 style 'upgrade all your assault rifles to laser guns at once', while another introduces an upgradeable limit on how many troopers you can have on the Avenger. Looks like the design goal is to make you really think about where you commit your forces, ie do one mission with a really well kitted out squad, or split up the veterans and good guns into two weaker squads and try and get two missions done?

Could be really good if they've pulled it off and I'm definitely interested in putting it in for my next campaign. Anyone tried it out yet and got any thoughts?

Sounds like Long War 2 with fewer missions? All those mechanics are how LW2 works.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Arven posted:

Sounds like Long War 2 with fewer missions? All those mechanics are how LW2 works.

I've never played LW2 so any similarities are lost on me v:shobon:v

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Yeah, that's how Long War 2 worked (at least initially). A squad would frequently be tied up for a month on a single mission from the infiltration windup and the fatigue cooldown. It fulfilled the goal of "make the player use more squads", but the strategic decision-making wasn't any more complicated. It was just tedious imo.

Covert Actions were added in WOTC to do something similar with less busywork.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Infiltration was one of the worst gameplay mechanics in LW2. Just the whole "gear up a squad for a mission, then instead of playing the mission, go back to loving around on the geoscape until it's time to play a totally unrelated mission with a different squad that you geared up hours ago. Maybe tomorrow you'll get around to playing with the squad you just geared up".

As a gameplay system it's got nice goals, but in an actual videogame design it's the sort of game mechanic you leave on the cutting room floor once you realize that it's not great gameplay in practice - exploring those areas and deciding that they're not worthwhile is one of the big things you're doing in game design. (For more examples of "trying stuff and seeing what doesn't work", look at pretty much everything Jake Solomon has to say about designing XCOM).

It's kinda sadly predictable that a mod team without much standalone design experience or oversight couldn't bring themselves to cut features they'd spent time on, and instead doubled down on them.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Jabor posted:

Infiltration was one of the worst gameplay mechanics in LW2. Just the whole "gear up a squad for a mission, then instead of playing the mission, go back to loving around on the geoscape until it's time to play a totally unrelated mission with a different squad that you geared up hours ago. Maybe tomorrow you'll get around to playing with the squad you just geared up".

As a gameplay system it's got nice goals, but in an actual videogame design it's the sort of game mechanic you leave on the cutting room floor once you realize that it's not great gameplay in practice - exploring those areas and deciding that they're not worthwhile is one of the big things you're doing in game design. (For more examples of "trying stuff and seeing what doesn't work", look at pretty much everything Jake Solomon has to say about designing XCOM).

It's kinda sadly predictable that a mod team without much standalone design experience or oversight couldn't bring themselves to cut features they'd spent time on, and instead doubled down on them.

I mean that's classic Pavonis though, and some people do like playing like that. I think it's certainly more palatable as a standalone mod that you can choose not to add. For example, the Frost Legion Mod, which adds an entire group of enemies that have big shields and take half damage from everything untul you kill the shields or use fire or psychic damage. Personally hate it, it's a gear check, but a bunch of people find them to be an interesting challenge.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Wild idea for an infiltration mechanic:

- All missions have some sort of extra modifiers, akin to SitRep conditions. These are hidden at first and have potentially very significant effects.
- You have to send someone to infiltrate the site and snoop around to find out what these modifiers are.
- Takes longer the more there are and you might not always have enough time to discover them all, depending on the area's "alert level" or somesuch.
- You then outfit your actual squad according to what you know of the mission and go gently caress poo poo up/get your teeth kicked in because that one unknown condition was "double chryssalids lol".

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nordick posted:

Wild idea for an infiltration mechanic:

- All missions have some sort of extra modifiers, akin to SitRep conditions. These are hidden at first and have potentially very significant effects.
- You have to send someone to infiltrate the site and snoop around to find out what these modifiers are.
- Takes longer the more there are and you might not always have enough time to discover them all, depending on the area's "alert level" or somesuch.
- You then outfit your actual squad according to what you know of the mission and go gently caress poo poo up/get your teeth kicked in because that one unknown condition was "double chryssalids lol".

The design goal with the infiltration system is pretty much to require you to use several squads and possibly to have to manage how much equipment you produce, so not having to send the team in early kind of defeats the point. You can still do it, but at that point you're just adding the complication of sending someone early for minimal gameplay gains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
If one of their goal was to be "more realistic" they'd require you to send a small, "Recon" squad, that snoops around from afar for 12 to 24 hours. Once they confirm the presence of the VIP/Person of Interest, you send the main "Contact" squad that comes in, does its thing, and then both squads bug out together (recon squad might provide long distance cover). Of course the Recon squad would have a chance to be caught/detected, and if they are then you need to send a QRF to save them.