Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Electrics sorted, الحمد لله
Turns out a fuse back in the switchroom before entering my flat had blown.
And no charge from Western Power :)

Glad to hear it got sorted quickly, these situations always stress me the gently caress out.

OwlFancier posted:

Hello thread please have this video from my lunch break.

https://i.imgur.com/Vh7DSiq.mp4

10/10 content

gently caress's sake. On this day in 1902 (yeah gently caress you I'm doing on this day, not numbers) Edward VII was crowned king of the UK. I've not done any research, but I think it's fair to assume he was a dickhead.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

Glad to hear it got sorted quickly, these situations always stress me the gently caress out.

10/10 content

gently caress's sake. On this day in 1902 (yeah gently caress you I'm doing on this day, not numbers) Edward VII was crowned king of the UK. I've not done any research, but I think it's fair to assume he was a dickhead.

On this day is the right way to do it

I know two things about Bertie. Well, 3 I guess coz I know his nickname was Bertie. After a tour in India he said the frankly remarkable for a British nobleat the height of Empire: "Because a man has a black face and a different religion from our own, there is no reason why he should be treated as a brute." And he was a bit of a lush who took part in illegal card games & was even called as a witness in court coz of one of those games.

Still a royal so still a poo poo

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 9, 2021

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Just Another Lurker posted:

If you see anyone putting stars on their hands it's to cover up syphilis marks. :cry:

If it's me it's whitlows. Why do I have to get loving cold sores on my loving hands? Story of my life.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

On this day is the right way to do it

I know two things about Bertie. Well, 3 I guess coz I know his nickname was Bertie. After a tour in India he said the frankly remarkable for a British nobleat the height of Empire: "Because a man has a black face and a different religion from our own, there is no reason why he should be treated as a brute." And he was a bit of a lush who took part in illegal card games & was even called as a witness in court coz of one of those games.

Still a royal so still a poo poo
Well I can make that up to 4 for you cuz he hosed Churchill's mother

Debuffed
Dec 19, 2003
I never post
Had a weird visit just now at my house. 2 people visited, a man and a woman with 2 young children in tow. They said they needed a picture of the woman in front of my house with both inner and outer doors open to "prove they used to live there for some sort of benefit claim". They said another person (who they named) was currently abroad but had lived in the house with someone else a long time ago and they needed to prove that somehow.

We bought the house 9 years off a couple who had been here 40 years which I told them but they said the person must have lived with them for a bit. I was quite sceptical (but it's not impossible!) but they caught me off guard and at the time I couldn't think of any possible harm they could do with a picture of some random woman in front of my house with both doors open (which doesn't even look the same as it did 9 years ago, we've had the front painted! It could be any house on any road in this area, to be honest!) so I stupidly said yes whatever without really thinking.

I questioned the guy as to how on earth this picture proves anything regarding previous residency and he said he though it was odd and stupid too but that's what they were asking for to process the claim.

But after they'd left of course I was left worrying that now I'm going to be scammed somehow, although not sure what they can do with the picture anyway... if it's to claim falsely they resided at my address, I don't think the picture proves that, like I said there is nothing distinctive about the front of our house, it could be a different house somewhere else. If it's to scope out the house to burgle it then I don't see why they needed me to open the doors, you can see the inner locks perfectly fine through the glass porch door. Plus the woman is sort of blocking the locks in the picture anyway.

I have googled phrases like "picture in front of house open doors scam" and "picture in front of house open doors benefit claim" and found nothing.

Does anyone have any idea wtf?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want to tell you that is absolutely daft but also my job literally involves taking the most idiotic photos of poo poo to try and prove things to people, so that actually sounds very normal to me.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
We finally hit 89% first dose, taking 16 days to creep up one percent. We might hit 90% but September (by comparison, second dose is achieving +1% in 3 days)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

After a tour in India he said the frankly remarkable for a British nobleat the height of Empire:
Took me a while to ken that as 'noble at' without the space, I read it and thought "I have no clue what a no bleat is but it sounds perfect for rich failsons who wander around the empire so it must mean something" at first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nob leat

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think it's because if you imagine a barn full of various sheep and calves and such disagreeing with eachother in the distance it sounds identical to a collection of aristocrats.

"Waughwaughwaughwaugh"
My brain: :hmmyes: nobleats

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NoblEats is my new disruptive delivery app: we deliver the rich to your home to eat them from the comfort of your own home

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

buffeh posted:

Had a weird visit just now at my house. 2 people visited, a man and a woman with 2 young children in tow. They said they needed a picture of the woman in front of my house with both inner and outer doors open to "prove they used to live there for some sort of benefit claim". They said another person (who they named) was currently abroad but had lived in the house with someone else a long time ago and they needed to prove that somehow.

We bought the house 9 years off a couple who had been here 40 years which I told them but they said the person must have lived with them for a bit. I was quite sceptical (but it's not impossible!) but they caught me off guard and at the time I couldn't think of any possible harm they could do with a picture of some random woman in front of my house with both doors open (which doesn't even look the same as it did 9 years ago, we've had the front painted! It could be any house on any road in this area, to be honest!) so I stupidly said yes whatever without really thinking.

I questioned the guy as to how on earth this picture proves anything regarding previous residency and he said he though it was odd and stupid too but that's what they were asking for to process the claim.

But after they'd left of course I was left worrying that now I'm going to be scammed somehow, although not sure what they can do with the picture anyway... if it's to claim falsely they resided at my address, I don't think the picture proves that, like I said there is nothing distinctive about the front of our house, it could be a different house somewhere else. If it's to scope out the house to burgle it then I don't see why they needed me to open the doors, you can see the inner locks perfectly fine through the glass porch door. Plus the woman is sort of blocking the locks in the picture anyway.

I have googled phrases like "picture in front of house open doors scam" and "picture in front of house open doors benefit claim" and found nothing.

it definitely sounds like some kind of scam, my guess is they're trying to work out what kind of locks you have and also other security measures like deadbolts, alarms etc

also if they can see anything valuable in the photo that would mean your house was a better target than others

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

buffeh posted:

That couple now legally owns your house. Move out or start paying them rent, unfortunately that's how the law works nowadays!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The scam was purely to find out how gullible you are, someone will be back in a couple of weeks to try and sell you a timeshare/book club membership.

Debuffed
Dec 19, 2003
I never post

Julio Cruz posted:

it definitely sounds like some kind of scam, my guess is they're trying to work out what kind of locks you have and also other security measures like deadbolts, alarms etc

also if they can see anything valuable in the photo that would mean your house was a better target than others

I guess so but it was very specific that they wanted the woman standing in the doorway with the doors open as a requirement. She didn't seem to take the time to get a better look at the locks and honestly was sort of in the way when the photo was taken. Bringing her along and getting a photo didn't reveal anything more to the guy than if he'd just knocked and asked me for directions or something, it seems like an unnecessary way of scoping a place out. And like many houses nothing visibly valuable lies directly through the front door, it's just a mostly empty hallway and stairs. I'd have thought the big TV in the front room (which you can see through the front windows! No need to knock to see that!) was much more interesting, although good luck carrying that off!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

buffeh posted:

Sounds most unlikely.
I feel like it could be sussing it out for a potential burglary or some kind of scam either related to identity theft or to immigration or an insurance claim of some sort.

Mind you, if they had said something like "We used to live here do you mind if we look round", members of my family have actually done that to people AND been shown all round their homes as a consequence to see what they look like now!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 9, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8C8eXaR2WM

crispix fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 9, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps it is the modern equivalent of taking a photo of yourself kneeling next to a sports car to post on instagram claiming it's yours. Or of yourself sitting in the furniture showroom claiming it's your living room.

I did see once upon a time someone doing that as part of a MLM thing to fake how much money they were making.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps it is the modern equivalent of taking a photo of yourself kneeling next to a sports car to post on instagram claiming it's yours. Or of yourself sitting in the furniture showroom claiming it's your living room.

I did see once upon a time someone doing that as part of a MLM thing to fake how much money they were making.

This week I learned about the existence of a fake private jet photography set in LA that instragram influencers can hire by the hour to do aspirational photoshots.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pablo Bluth posted:

We finally hit 89% first dose, taking 16 days to creep up one percent. We might hit 90% but September (by comparison, second dose is achieving +1% in 3 days)

That checks out. A small number of people will refuse the vaccine or cannot have it, and if the number is counting the whole population instead of just adults, under-16s won't be offered it. It's much more important at this point to push up the number of fully vaccinated people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mm, essentially what they now have is a photo that sort of suggests that this person might own a house inasmuch as a photo can do that. So while I doubt it's for the benefits office and it is extremely weird to actually ask you to participate, there are conceivably reasons in this world why someone might want to have a photo of themselves implying ownership of a nice thing.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

No one actually puts that much effort into house burglaries, because they are risky, high profile and don't even get you much. Something like 90% of all burglaries are by addicts off their head and desperate for cash for their fix, most people carry their most valueable possession (a smartphone ) around with them.

I doubt their story is true, but I think it's just an excuse for something more embarrassing or wierd than nefarious.

Debuffed
Dec 19, 2003
I never post

OwlFancier posted:

Mm, essentially what they now have is a photo that sort of suggests that this person might own a house inasmuch as a photo can do that. So while I doubt it's for the benefits office and it is extremely weird to actually ask you to participate, there are conceivably reasons in this world why someone might want to have a photo of themselves implying ownership of a nice thing.

It's not even that nice a porch! It's one of the few bits of the house we haven't done up since we moved in! It's just white plastic really....

Hopefully this won't come back to haunt me somehow. Feeling a bit stupid and gullible. Oh well. Obviously I stupidly gave them permission to do it this time but there would have been many many occasions in the past where I would have been in the back garden and not noticed that someone had quickly opened my house doors and grabbed a picture then closed them again, so it's not like it can't also happen without my involvement :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really think it's gullibility, like you say it's hard to really imagine what harm it could do and if I was planning to burgle someone I definitely wouldn't have the extremely werid conversation they had with you shortly before taking a picture of the outside of the house, because that would definitely do what it has done to you and make you think someone is going to burgle you.

I would also put more money on the idea that they were lying about some part of it but they probably want the photo for some very mundane but personally embarassing reason, like arguing with someone on the internet or something. And that the worst you have likely done is make them look cooler than they are.

You're already suspicious so just keep an eye out but try not to worry, IMO.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 9, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Got an electrician here to change shower isolator switch as cord broken inside. He shorted something and now the electric meter (non smart) is dead as a dodo. He changed the big fuse before the meter (involving a 1 hr trip to get the new fuse) and it's still not working.
Anyone got an idea before he resorts to calling out western power at huge expense?
Meanwhile I'm without power.

If he hosed it hes paying for it, not you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

That checks out. A small number of people will refuse the vaccine or cannot have it, and if the number is counting the whole population instead of just adults, under-16s won't be offered it. It's much more important at this point to push up the number of fully vaccinated people.

I was volunteering at the Emirates for vaccinations this morning and the place was almost comedically underbooked - 15 vaccinators and support staff for a grand total of 250 booked appointments all day (for context I've worked sites where *two* vaccinators have done more than that), almost all second doses. There was a steady trickle of walkins for first doses and the general consensus was the only thing that was making people get round to doing it was the threat of never being able to leave the country if they didn't get it.

89% is the over-18s number (and slightly skewed in that they also count the relatively small number of vulnerable under-18s who've had it in the "vaccinated" population so the real number is actually lower, the real number - i.e. proportion of total population - is 70ish percent, and it seems like that's not enough to stop Delta, which leaves us in the rather invidious position of probably having to do at least 16-18, but probably 12-18 and maybe even younger in order to get to herd immunity, and without a lot more detail on the frequency and severity of side-effects in that population that's gonna be what bioethicists call "a bit loving dodgy".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Anti-vax protesters attempt to storm studio at BBC Television Centre

quote:

Demonstrators gather outside west London complex, which corporation ceased broadcasts from in 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

If he hosed it hes paying for it, not you.

As others have pointed out everything upstream of the meter is not to be touched by anyone but the supplier.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

keep punching joe posted:

This week I learned about the existence of a fake private jet photography set in LA that instragram influencers can hire by the hour to do aspirational photoshots.
Milo of Trashfuture has spoken before about how there are services in Russia where influencers can get a courier bike to come round with flowers, chanpagne, and boxes with Dior, iPhone, Louboutin logos etc. Said influencer takes a photo of the pile to post showing how insanely generous their boyfriend / sugar daddy is, and then the courier literally takes all the boxes, flowers etc back to be delivered to the next influencer who needs them.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I deleted the Twitter app because it's too horrible, so I've been filling my phone-grab habit with the Apple News app, and both sides of the Atlantic seem to be going all-in on the "I didn't get the vaccine and now I'm dead, don't be like me" articles. No idea if it works, but there seem to be several new ones each day.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

That's slightly oddly phrased, because while I suppose yes they no longer "broadcast" from there in the sense that the phrase is used in the trade, it *is* still in use as TV studios, including for live broadcasts, and it's entirely possible that they were actually looking to disrupt one of them.

e: Wiki sez Loose Women is still filmed there, so that was probably what they were after.
ee: and as I have just discovered the revolutionary research tool known as "scrolling down a bit more", both Good Morning Britain and This Morning are *also* filmed there, all in all a pretty juicy target for people wanting to scare the poo poo out of loving idiots.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 9, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

I deleted the Twitter app because it's too horrible, so I've been filling my phone-grab habit with the Apple News app, and both sides of the Atlantic seem to be going all-in on the "I didn't get the vaccine and now I'm dead, don't be like me" articles. No idea if it works, but there seem to be several new ones each day.

It doesn't, IMO, because people never believe it will happen to them - you need to offer a carrot instead of a stick.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or beat them to death with the stick, which also renders them non infectious.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Or beat them to death with the stick, which also renders them non infectious.

You want a variant that can survive being beaten with a stick? Because that's how you get a variant that can survive being beaten with a stick.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I wish I could delete twitter, it's awful.

I don't just mean from my phone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Beat them with the stick and then pickle them in the vaccine.

What's the worst that can happen? The plot of reanimator with vaccine zombies?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

It's got to be something unofficial, as 3 pounds and a visit to the website of the UK Land Registry immediately tells you who actually owns that house.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Man I really need to dry out for a few days, I can feel my liver pushing against my ribs lol, but the news is not helping

And tomorrow it's my dad's gender reveal party except that instead of gender it's cancer and instead of party it's an appointment with a consultant

That's not helping either

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Insurers often ask for photos as proof of ownership. Not ever heard of one doing that for the house itself though I'm sure that's happened at some point.

They were probably just scoping for obvious valuables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
In Cosmic Weirdness news I ordered one of those miniature house kits that HopperUK has posted in here, and the UK importer for this particular one had an extremely familiar address, which turns out to be the block my ex-girlfriend lived in when we were going out.