Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

[pointing at ted cruz crying about his crypto investments] that's poggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

divabot posted:

someone who's been buying a few of them it seems. i wonder who it could be
I'm just jealous I didn't get one

look I have free space under my name and my posts are weird enough that someone might believe I bought the title in earnest

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
if seraph didn't buy you an av it's because he thinks you are already converted which is the greatest insult of all

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The war against the world of finance is being waged here, the front lines, on the avs of users of a dead comedy forum.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Of course Ted "Most Insufferable Elected Official" Cruz is trying to defend crypto.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/ConnectedAreWe/status/1424577390894845952

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Didn't Nathan already do a gimmick where someone bought something but the company would still hold it?

E: Found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv1lSH4hK-w

Non-fermenting Tokens

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 9, 2021

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

kw0134 posted:

Lol, which idiot brought this av and thought it was an own and not the most pathetic attempt at evangelism ever.

At least now I won't get you mixed up with the other poster on the forums with an Edgeworth avatar. Although the other guy's avatar has Edgey pulling off a startled face and yours was the "listen here you little poo poo..." face.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/circlepay/status/1424717848400863245

Ah yes, a commercial bank offering a legally-ambiguous product designed to facilitate the evasion of know-your-customer and anti-money laundering regulations that American commercial banks are subject to. What could possibly go wrong.

(also, the tweet and the first half of the linked press release claim they want to be a full-reserve bank, and then the second half of the press release spends a lot of time talking about capital requirements for fractional-reserve banks, which is an odd thing to dwell on if you plan to be a full-reserve bank.)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Glad I kept reading the thread, was going to make a similar comment after seeing Cruz's tweet. Anything he is for is bad like on principle.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1424791464874332164?s=21

The guy we hired to help us navigate the SEC has quit. This is good for Bitcoin …

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Daily reminder: Buttcoins

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
But...number go up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1424801149626961942?s=20

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

A satellite with a display screen? The possibility are endless!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Alan Smithee posted:

if seraph didn't buy you an av it's because he thinks you are already converted which is the greatest insult of all

I wish there was some way to track number of new avatar purchases, because I have a sneaking suspicion that there would be noticeable bumps in activity every time bitcoin's price is climbing. (Come to think of it, I bet plotting the reg dates for Seraph alts against bitcoin price fluctuations would show some strong correlation.)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bleusilences posted:

A display screen in MY satellite? It's more likely than you think!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What laws could be violated by shooting down a private satellite?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Depends on the country.

I'd say do it in international waters to be extra safe from any real laws. Although I'm sure they'd be very willing to make some new ones up should this happen.

Like if you were in CA I have no doubt they'd charge you with Felony Vandalism at the very least since it is destruction of property that you committed while in CA.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So is this satellite supposed to show ads to the crew of the ISS or something, or is it supposed to be big enough to be seen from the ground?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Rafael "Ted" Cruz's suffering is absolute poggers and I'm here for it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I mean if you really do care.

quote:

THE LEGAL STATUS OF A SPACE OBJECT
The term Object in reference to outer space was first used in 1961 in General Assembly Resolution 1721 (XVI) titled International cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space to describe any object launched by States into outer space. Professor Bin Cheng, a world authority on International Air and Space Law, has noted that members of the COPUOS during negotiations over the space treaties treated spacecraft and space vehicles as synonymous terms. The Space Object can be considered as the “conventional launcher (ELV)”, the “reusable launcher (RLV)”, the “satellite”, the “orbital station”, the “probe”, the “impactor”, the “space telescope”, the “International Space Station (ISS)”… As Professors Diederiks-Verschoor and Kopal wrote in An Introduction to Space Law, the term space object “is indeed the commonly used expression, but it must always be borne in mind that its exact meaning is still not quite clear”.

An object is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary as “A material thing that can be seen and touched”. The five Onusian treaties don’t use the term satellite, instead opting for “object launched into outer space” in the 1967 Outer Space Treaty or “space object” in the 1972 Liability Convention and the 1976 Registration Convention. The 1967 Outer Space Treaty doesn’t really provide a definition for “object launched into outer space” other than an indication in Article VIII that it includes the “component parts” of the “object launched into outer space”. To add to the mix, Article V of the 1967 Outer Space Treaty uses the term “space vehicle” and the 1968 Rescue Agreement (which is essentially an elaboration of Article V of the OST) uses the term “spacecraft”. A good definition is given by Professor Hobe who write that a “space object is a human made object launched into outer space intended to be used in (as opposed to merely transit through) outer space”.

Let’s remember that “A treaty shall be interpreted in good faith in accordance with the ordinary meaning to be given to the terms of the treaty in their context and in the light of its object and purpose”, Article 31 of the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties of 1969. In addition, “Recourse may be had to supplementary means of interpretation, including the preparatory work of the treaty and the circumstances of its conclusion, in order to confirm the meaning resulting from the application of article 31, or to determine the meaning when the interpretation according to article 31: (a) leaves the meaning ambiguous or obscure; or (b) leads to a result which is manifestly absurd or unreasonable”, Article 32 of the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties of 1969.

Let’s recall that a space object causing damage triggers international third-party liability under the Convention on International Liability for Damage Caused by Space Objects (entered into force in September 1972). Article I (d) of which enounces that “the term space object includes component parts of a space object as well as its launch vehicle and parts thereof”. Its Article II adds that “A launching State shall be absolutely liable to pay compensation for damage caused by its space object on the surface of the Earth or to aircraft in flight”.

A space object requires, thanks to the Convention on Registration of Objects Launched into Outer Space (entered into force in September 1976), registration. Article II of which states that “When a space object is launched into Earth orbit or beyond, the launching State shall register the space object by means of an entry in an appropriate registry which it shall maintain. Each launching State shall inform the Secretary-General of the United Nations of the establishment of such a registry”.

Finally, the term space object effectively triggers application of much of both the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies (entered into force in October 1967) and the Agreement on the Rescue of Astronauts, the Return of Astronauts and the Return of Objects Launched into Outer Space (entered into force in December 1968). Article VII of the first declares that “Each State Party to the Treaty that launches or procures the launching of an object into outer space, including the Moon and other celestial bodies, and each State Party from whose territory or facility an object is launched, is internationally liable for damage to another State Party to the Treaty or to its natural or juridical persons by such object or its component parts on the Earth, in air space or in outer space, including the Moon and other celestial bodies”.

Article 5 of the latter states that “1. Each Contracting Party which receives information or discovers that a space object or its component parts has returned to Earth in territory under its jurisdiction or on the high seas or in any other place not under the jurisdiction of any State, shall notify the launching authority and the Secretary-General of the United Nations. 2. Each Contracting Party having jurisdiction over the territory on which a space object or its component parts has been discovered shall, upon the request of the launching authority and with assistance from that authority if requested, take such steps as it finds practicable to recover the object or component parts. 3. Upon request of the launching authority, objects launched into outer space or their component parts found beyond the territorial limits of the launching authority shall be returned to or held at the disposal of representatives of the launching authority, which shall, upon request, furnish identifying data prior to their return”.

The 1967 Outer Space Treaty doesn’t really provide a definition for “object launched into outer space” other than an indication in Article VIII that it includes the “component parts” of the “object launched into outer space”. It states that “A State Party to the Treaty on whose registry an object launched into outer space is carried shall retain jurisdiction and control over such object, and over any personnel thereof, while in outer space or on a celestial body. Ownership of objects launched into outer space, including objects landed or constructed on a celestial body, and of their component parts, is not affected by their presence in outer space or on a celestial body or by their return to the Earth. Such objects or component parts found beyond the limits of the State Party to the Treaty on whose registry they are carried shall be returned to that State Party, which shall, upon request, furnish identifying data prior to their return”. We’ll conclude with the definition given by Professor Hobe who wrote that a “space object is a human made object launched into outer space intended to be used in (as opposed to merely transit through) outer space”.

https://www.spacelegalissues.com/the-legal-status-of-a-missile/

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

ikanreed posted:

Shooting down private satellites is one of those things that generally requires nation-state level of resources and sophistication. Once you've got your own ASAT systems you're not generally answering to the local sheriff anymore.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Pretty cool that I scrolled down to see musk making the same face I was after reading the headline.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

bad news for anyone hoping to buy a graphics card this year
https://twitter.com/jack/status/1424854924194729984?s=21

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

Gpu mining is not viable anyway

Not for bitchin

I’m not correcting that

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Cowcaster posted:

These people are loving insane. They really believe this poo poo is going to usher in a utopia.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

There Bias Two posted:

These people are loving insane. They really believe this poo poo is going to usher in a utopia.

This is the Nazi sympathizer who owns Twitter, fyi

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I can’t help but note that they never specify how it will unite the country/world. Hmm. Oh well I’m sure it is a sensible explanation.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

priznat posted:

I can’t help but note that they never specify how it will unite the country/world. Hmm. Oh well I’m sure it is a sensible explanation.

It'll be like the end of The Wicker Man with all the coiners hand in hand singing as the no coiners burn.. but instead of a giant wicker man it is the planet

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bitcoin crashes, sucking steam out of finance in general and there's another recession. A bipartisan financial regulation is passed proving Bitcoin really is the reason to work across the aisle.

Well I can dream at least.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

If I can see that space Ad, it better get nuked the gently caress out of the sky asap. Don’t need that bullshit ruining my night sky.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

No no it's even dumber. It's a cubesat, the tiny ones. It has a camera pointed at the screen and you can access the feed to see the ads on a website.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Just the absolute dumbest fucker alive.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Zil posted:

Just the absolute dumbest fucker alive.

My understanding is that it's somebody else's thing they are just paying Elon to launch it.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Jack was a crazy burner long before bitcoin FYI, it just offered him a way to join his counterculture lifestyle more directly to money chasing

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Alan Smithee posted:

Gpu mining is not viable anyway

Not for bitchin

I’m not correcting that

Yeah but people are tools who will mine another type of crypto with GPUs to exchange it for bitcoin.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
*rotates $1M worth of assets into bitbux* yeah, that’s right. I’m a rebel.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

D-Pad posted:

No no it's even dumber. It's a cubesat, the tiny ones. It has a camera pointed at the screen and you can access the feed to see the ads on a website.
Crypto is like a dumb corollary to Occam's razor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The stupidest explanation is the correct one.