Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
Curse of the Dead Gods would have probably been my jam if I didn’t spend 150 hours with Hades and it’s infinitely better everything first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Flight sim is working with quick resume now which is really great

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I’m also in the “It’s probably the most impressive video game world ever created, it’s a shame it’s absolutely god awful to play,” camp.

I dont even rate it for that. Plenty of other games have far more interesting (if somewhat linear) worlds. Bioshock series, Dishonored series are two I have played at least where I felt sucked into a rich world of detail.

I didnt play past the first shootout in RDR2 though I got fed up with how laborious every. single. action. was.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Playing Dark Souls 3 with the FPS boost is such a game changer. Hope more games get the treatment.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Besson posted:

Playing Dark Souls 3 with the FPS boost is such a game changer. Hope more games get the treatment.

Agreed, having such a good time with it. Just got to the Abyss watchers and it's been great so far. Seem to be seeing things I missed the first time around too (patches trying to trap you and trapping Siegward in the well).

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Laserface posted:

I dont even rate it for that. Plenty of other games have far more interesting (if somewhat linear) worlds. Bioshock series, Dishonored series are two I have played at least where I felt sucked into a rich world of detail.

I didnt play past the first shootout in RDR2 though I got fed up with how laborious every. single. action. was.
So you didn't play past the very, very beginning of the game but don't rate it for the world that you didn't even see? Okay bud.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If moving around the world in the first hour is painful it's probably not worth your time going in for even more of that painful movement.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Akuma posted:

So you didn't play past the very, very beginning of the game but don't rate it for the world that you didn't even see? Okay bud.

Its the wild west. I dont feel like I missed out on some unique experience.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

njsykora posted:

If moving around the world in the first hour is painful it's probably not worth your time going in for even more of that painful movement.
Absolutely agree with this, I hated that about the game and didn't get very far at all so my criticism is limited to the bits I did see, which is that the controls feel poo poo and the mission design is ridiculously limited and dumb.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

I picked up AC Valhalla in the summer sale and I've been playing it for about a week now and it's pretty great! Much better than I had anticipated, although I'm not very far in yet. It has some fun mechanics.

I bounced off it super hard! I should try it again but I got it because I heard it was a good starting point if you haven’t played in a while and I thought I wanted a big open world game (I just wanted breath of the wild again)

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Laserface posted:

Its the wild west. I dont feel like I missed out on some unique experience.

You did, though. I'm as big a fan of BioShock and its world as anyone, but the details, side stories, and off-the-beaten-path moments in RDR2 are all miles ahead of BioShock's.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

BigHandsVince posted:

Agreed, having such a good time with it. Just got to the Abyss watchers and it's been great so far. Seem to be seeing things I missed the first time around too (patches trying to trap you and trapping Siegward in the well).

I missed Siegward in the well. I hope he is okay :(

Just beat Pointiff, but had two summons so it felt a bit cheap! He was insanely difficult when I tried to take him on solo (just kept breaking my shields), and I just spent 40 minutes fighting the Dancer so happy for the easier win.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
If you haven't played Hellblade yet, now is a great time.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1424717699104460801?s=21

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
If I had a Series console, I would gladly play it a 4th time!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Red dead is bad until it gets remade with vanquish sliding and apache helicopter spawns

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Red Dead Revolver 2 you say...?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I always like the idea of open world games a lot more than playing them. Ultimately I'm just a grumpy old millennial who likes everything spelled out for him with nice objectives and levels and poo poo. Gimme that mountain level, snow level, lava level, factory level!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

<whispers> I like some sewer levels

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Red dead is bad until it gets remade with vanquish sliding and apache helicopter spawns

Can't wait for Red Dead Revengeance

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Lies, nobody wants a sewer level.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

External Organs posted:

I always like the idea of open world games a lot more than playing them. Ultimately I'm just a grumpy old millennial who likes everything spelled out for him with nice objectives and levels and poo poo. Gimme that mountain level, snow level, lava level, factory level!

The most important thing about an open world game is traversal mechanics which means RDR2 is garbage, Assassins Creed games are okay, and Spider-Man(PS4/5) is the greatest open world game of all time.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The most important thing about an open world game is traversal mechanics which means RDR2 is garbage, Assassins Creed games are okay, and Spider-Man(PS4/5) is the greatest open world game of all time.
Hmm, wrong.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

You’re right, Burnout Paradise is the greatest open world game of all time. Spider-Man is second.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

You’re right, Burnout Paradise is the greatest open world game of all time. Spider-Man is second.

Just Cause 2

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

This, but the exact opposite.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

John F Bennett posted:

This, but the exact opposite.
:hmmyes:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i am thoroughly enjoying ac valhalla

i also really enjoyed rdr2 but i would not go so far as to call it objectively fun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You dont like tapping a 5000 times to get to a mission and 5000 times to get to the shootout part of that mission.
:yikes:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I enjoyed making my own character for RDR Online and wish I could import them to the main game because I don't care about the main storyline but I like activities.

Online RDR2 is a fun chill poke around game and sometimes there's a running gun battle with immortal respawning cowboys.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
AC Valhalla is like fast food. You know that what you’re getting isn’t the highest quality version of it, but you still enjoy it because it scratches that itch. Other games do parts better (God of War is a better Viking game, Ghost of Tsushima has more satisfying combat and stealth, there are other “better” open world games, etc.), but no other game has the combination of things that make AC a unique experience. I wish it were better in a lot of ways, but I really enjoy it nonetheless.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Zerot posted:

If you haven't played Hellblade yet, now is a great time.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1424717699104460801?s=21

Hellblade is a great example of video games as art.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

Can't wait for Red Dead Revengeance

Just give every game franchise a Revengeance spinoff.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lammasu posted:

Hellblade is a great example of video games as art.

All my fav Rembrandt paintings are full of boring hidden symbol puzzles

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i'd rather play Call of Duty or Fourthnight than look at a single brush-stroke of a Rembrandt

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
more like video games as fart

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Art and books suck rear end, all I want is kill

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

Art and books suck rear end, all I want is kill

hell yah

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

Just Cause 2

I enjoyed 3 but man how do they keep not making these the greatest games of all time. Like they get so much right and also so much wrong

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I enjoyed 3 but man how do they keep not making these the greatest games of all time. Like they get so much right and also so much wrong

Yeah I don't know. 2 is the only one that I liked. I'd pay stupid money for a Switch port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i'd rather play Call of Duty or Fourthnight than look at a single brush-stroke of a Rembrandt

I don't really get art but I saw this thing in person and was left pretty speechless https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Watch

The sheer size and detail was incredible.

calling in a chopper gunner though? pretty good