Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Yinlock posted:

I examined the poo poo out of the evidence, that was just something that isn't A Thing so I missed it entirely

It is very much a thing, especially with more expensive fountain pens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

not a bot posted:

It is very much a thing, especially with more expensive fountain pens

Oh, I'm just an idiot who knows nothing about fountain pens then

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Case 2-5 Thoughts! So Strongheart was just Damon Gant but on an even grander scale and it was very satisfying to tear him down, even after multiple "I AM THE LAW AND I DO WHAT IS RIGHT" declarations, I figured Queen Victoria would be dragged into things with how often Strongheart mentioned the Queen herself was kept out of the loop, so well done there genius.

All in all, these two games were very very good and I am glad I got them.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
2-5: A fair amount of characters seem to be reiterations of characters from the original trilogy, but in a larger narrative. Stronghart being a grander scale Gant who you spend most of the game working for and learning about his particular sense of justice before you actually confront him is an obvious one, but likewise Kazuma is very much the Edgeworth to Ryunosuke's Nick. He's the best friend who inspired you to be a defense attorney, and ultimately your job is to dig him out of the pit he's fallen into after becoming a prosecutor, but this time you're learning his story alongside the protagonist instead of having it come up in the final case.

Those are the big ones, but also Sholmes is clearly an iteration of Layton as a character who is way ahead of the plot, but written in a way that is charming and fits into the Ace Attorney universe rather than one who... does not. Soseki Natsume is the Larry Butz of the story, but without the creeping on women aspect.

The one I did not pick up on until I started reading supplementary materials is that van Zieks is also iterating on a trilogy character. His final desk slam where he bangs his foot on the counter was a scrapped animation for Godot, who was also initially planned to be drinking whiskey and smoking in court and downgraded to a coffee swiller for the ratings.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

G1E3: I do love how the translation keeps jabbing at the idea of a banker in any way being a trustworthy and respectable person above reproach. Especially in London. :lol:.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

1-4 Man, the jury selection process is... Uh... Not particularly fair, huh?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A completely random selection of London citizens seems fair to me :confused:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
G1-5 early on I get that I'm supposed to think "Eggert Benedict" is an obviously fake name, but this is coming from a game that completely unironically expected me to accept "Bif Strogenov" as a perfectly cromulent Russian name a mere few hours ago.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

G1-5 early on I get that I'm supposed to think "Eggert Benedict" is an obviously fake name, but this is coming from a game that completely unironically expected me to accept "Bif Strogenov" as a perfectly cromulent Russian name a mere few hours ago.

Yeah, that's a way more reasonable thing than like any name in AA6

e: maybe the name is too ordinary, which arouses suspicion. If he gave his name as Imnots Uspicious THEN you could be assured he was on the level

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 8, 2021

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

In japanese his name is just Eggs Benedict so it's even more obvious

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

It’s a meta joke based on him having the same name as the popular British actor Eggert Benedict, who of course played a modern day Sholmes in the popular BBC drama Herlock

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
gently caress why didn't they actually have him give Benedict Cumberbatch as his name and have everyone else go "well that's obviously a fake name" that would have been goddamn magical. Now I'm annoyed that the localizers didn't do this.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Finally finished GAA1 over the weekend and got partway through 2. I can't stop listening to the soundtrack, it's soooo good! Definitely my favorite in the AA series

Speaking of the soundtrack

2-1 When Kazuma Asogi - Nocturne theme started playing was probably the hardest I laughed so far in this game

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I swear to god I have to put the Switch down for a minute every time important proceedings are happening and Sholmes has materialized in the background to do something completely asinine :nallears:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I started replaying the first Phoenix Wright game since I haven't played it since back when it came out and remember almost nothing about the cases.

It's interesting seeing the ways Phoenix is different from the other protagonists, like the GAA guy or Apollo. Phoenix is extremely aggressive all the time and just constantly makes wild conjectures against the witnesses in an effort to get them to slip up. I also forgot that Edgeworth is an extremely bad person (before the events of the end of the game which I remember the general gist of; this isn't really a problem since it's part of the story, but it stands out in comparison with some of the other prosecutors, most of whom are generally acting with good intentions).

The first game has the best "tense cross examination" music by far.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I started replaying the first Phoenix Wright game since I haven't played it since back when it came out and remember almost nothing about the cases.

It's interesting seeing the ways Phoenix is different from the other protagonists, like the GAA guy or Apollo. Phoenix is extremely aggressive all the time and just constantly makes wild conjectures against the witnesses in an effort to get them to slip up. I also forgot that Edgeworth is an extremely bad person (before the events of the end of the game which I remember the general gist of; this isn't really a problem since it's part of the story, but it stands out in comparison with some of the other prosecutors, most of whom are generally acting with good intentions).

The first game has the best "tense cross examination" music by far.

Phoenix more than anyone else is kinda thrown to the wolves and has to resort to wild poo poo to make headway.

GAA 2-2: "Alright so since there's no poison in the tea that pretty much proves my client had nothing to do with it"

"no"

"The prosecution makes a compelling argument, call up the witness"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
g1-5
OH MY GOD JUROR 6

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I always chalked up Phoenix’s technique in part to being a former art student (he was studying two years in the same classes as Larry until he switched over to law).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That does scan. Ryunosuke was an English major and his rhetoric is particularly solid, while Athena was a law major but raised by an engineer/psychologist. Apollo is the most methodical of the bunch and he’s also the one who’s always studied law and had it as his family's trade.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 9, 2021

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Finished 2-3 and while I really, really hope the whole amnesia thing is a fake-out since it's dumb, Kazuma working for prosecutor is something I thought would happen since in 1-1 (or 1-2) Kazuma commented that if Ryunosuke will become a defence lawyer, they will... with the line ending there. I figured it alluded to them meeting in court in opposite sides so that was nice when it actually happened.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

g1-5
OH MY GOD JUROR 6

1-5 he is just normal tourist wanting to see sights of great country. please give him directions to crystal tower

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 9, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
[1-5, possibly a bit later in the trial] What I particularly appreciate about Juror number six is that he is probably the most helpful and unbiased jury member you meet.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

[1-5, possibly a bit later in the trial] What I particularly appreciate about Juror number six is that he is probably the most helpful and unbiased jury member you meet.

[same] Yeah he's like the nicest dude in the entire courtroom. Also his anecdotes are insanely Russian.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This thread is now an unofficial Juror #6 fanclub. ...I like his little mouse. :kimchi:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Yinlock posted:

[same] Yeah he's like the nicest dude in the entire courtroom. Also his anecdotes are insanely Russian.

I like how he denies his identity and then immediately refers to himself by name in an anecdote :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well now that I'm playing them back to back, it's incredibly apparent how much more work went into the dances of deduction in gaa 2 compared to 1. The presentation is even more elaborate, the animations are all around more... animated, and the unique failure dialogue for every wrong option had been expanded to also include a unique quip from sholmes instead of his generic "you did it wrong" lines from 1. Which rules, but also makes it really sad how you can't actually see all of the dialogue (it's all funny) without savescumming for more credibility points.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"I think that deduction was a little... wanting."

"Yes, I was wanting you to hear it! I'm quite proud of it! :)"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I had to turn on Story Mode for the investigation in 2-2 because some of the prompts were just tiny and I couldn't find them by myself (particularly during the skin prints section), and now I don't have the trophy for that case and it's gonna bother me forever :negative:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

GAA2 in general feels like it's doing a lot more interesting things with the models and animations as they get used to having the characters existing in a 3D space. It's easy to forget that these games were separated by two years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also I know it's appropriate for the time and setting, but it's SO WEIRD for an Ace Attorney game to be explicitly referencing God.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ah bit of an annoying bit in 1-5 With the Shulk brothers, one of those times you know exactly what is wrong but multiple pieces of evidence can show this and can be applied to different statements and you don't know which one of the game wants you to pick arghh

story mode comes in handy...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I think in some cases the game actually permits multiple pieces of evidence to be chosen, but I am not certain --- at very least I've had cases where I picked one piece and the game showed the picture of another piece.

Anyway, speculation much later, after trial day 1 of 2-5:
So, neither Mikotoba (so no doubly worst dad of century award!) nor Wilson are supposedly Iris's dad, so going by anime rule of hair color... Oh boy, that would be... Klint van Zieks? I hope I am misremembering his portrait since I was hoping for someone alive. Also, Kazuma is such a demagogue.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

OddObserver posted:

I think in some cases the game actually permits multiple pieces of evidence to be chosen, but I am not certain --- at very least I've had cases where I picked one piece and the game showed the picture of another piece.

This has always been an occasional thing in the series.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

2-3 Trial partway through: Apparently I came to court on Opposite Day. The prosecution is making wild-rear end assertions that I can easily disprove with basic logic, the jurors are on my side, and the witnesses are fairly cooperative

if only my client wasn't a turd

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 10, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Near the end of 1-5
AHHHHHH!!!!!! The cat door maker! I was going insane this entire trial wondering how the gently caress that peephole appeared. of course!!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

R-Kelly trial is making this games juries feel outright grounded.

https://www.insider.com/r-kelly-trial-lawyers-want-charges-dropped-jury-selection-begins-2021-8 posted:

Potential jurors were then brought one at a time into a separate room, where Donnelly quizzed them about their ability to be fair in the case. She also asked each about their hobbies and their jobs: One mechanical engineering student hoped to use his degree to develop rollercoasters, while an aspiring fashion illustrator answered only "YouTube" when asked about his hobbies. 

One of the men in the jury pool noted he is a member of the Association of Old Crows — a professional group for defense contractors who specialize in electronic warfare.

Another man, who liked to crochet and said he planned a trip to Germany to visit his boyfriend, said he wasn't too familiar with R. Kelly and thought the trial was about Robert Crumb, the 77-year-old cartoonist who signs his work as "R. Crumb."

https://www.insider.com/r-kelly-trial-lawyers-want-charges-dropped-jury-selection-begins-2021-8

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OK first game done, it was good. A nice story about two men finding love in one another after losing their exes to criminal affairs

The very start of 2-1: oh gently caress this animated opening

e: i say what i did at the top of this post and then the start of 2-1 happens

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 10, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Susato gay

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

2-2 Trial I'm beginning to think the British jury system might be broken. At least van Zieks was honest about the jury selection process this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Amppelix posted:

Susato gay

art

2-1 is finished, i was losing my mind the entire time
ladies disguising in historical drag is something i always love when it pops up in stories (shout out to another mystery VN, Lady in Mystery), and was not something i was expecting going into these two games so it was such a delight

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 10, 2021