Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Saros posted:

In case anyone isinterested i'm starting up a Stellar Monarch Lets Play!

I should add let's play threads to the OP. If there are any others currently active please do post them here and I'll add them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Clarste posted:

Isn't that every single space 4X made since then?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

There is Post Apocalyptic Aurora running as well.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

They keep loving up moo2 remakes by putting crap like starlanes in the game, or making colony management too finicky.

off the top of my head Interstellar Space Genesis is literally just MOO2 without multiplayer or the Antaran stuff. There've been others but that's the most recent, if you're one of those people who wants zero deviation from MOO2 but for some reason won't just buy MOO2 on GOG

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Stellar Monarch seems almost tailor made for the a screenshot style let's play. I could never finish a game, everything seems so interesting to interact with at first but then the expansion/combat game just feels like a constant tedious slog, colonies aren't interesting enough to justify the annoyance of managing the distance penalties (but you can't turtle up either in the long run), and the politics/decisions always felt like you had a couple of really important decisions and then the rest was just annoying busy work. Which is probably a better reflection of how things would actually be in such a position but doesn't make for a fun game.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

They keep loving up moo2 remakes by putting crap like starlanes in the game, or making colony management too finicky.

No one likes starlanes, but in the most recent MoO2 remake they gave the Silicoids boobs. Why? gently caress you, that's why, I guess, but seriously, who wanted a remake of this with rockin' hot bod Silicoids? Pun slightly intended.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Rappaport posted:

No one likes starlanes, but in the most recent MoO2 remake they gave the Silicoids boobs. Why? gently caress you, that's why, I guess, but seriously, who wanted a remake of this with rockin' hot bod Silicoids? Pun slightly intended.

Just lmao if you wouldn't gently caress a silicoid. You know you want those titties jiggling dangerously and possibly changing size and shape

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I like starlanes. If there's free movement I want a way to automate my fleets to defend colonies I can see enemies approaching because it's far too much micro on larger maps doing it manually.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Starlanes mean geography and, more importantly, choke points. If everything is in the same stew, it gets boring to me.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

off the top of my head Interstellar Space Genesis is literally just MOO2 without multiplayer or the Antaran stuff. There've been others but that's the most recent, if you're one of those people who wants zero deviation from MOO2 but for some reason won't just buy MOO2 on GOG

Oh yea, the Moo2 remakes also get rid of the Anataran's and the ship boarding and scraping for tech as well. Both critical things that contribute to the fun of the systems.

That said, I have MoO2 it's great, but it only works because of the way all the systems put into the game work. If you put in starlanes, or remove ship scraping for tech, or remove the Anatarn's or make Combat auto-resolve, or whatever other stuff they do, it both makes the game worse, while also keeping in place some of the bad parts of MoO2. They basically constrain themselves to the MoO2 formula, while making an inferior game.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

THE BAR posted:

Starlanes mean geography and, more importantly, choke points. If everything is in the same stew, it gets boring to me.

The lack of geography is a key feature of a space 4x imo. If I can't create my fleet of universe conquering ships at the end of the game and send them to every enemy star system in one turn for the crushing victory, then the end just becomes a pointless slog.

Chokepoints suck.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I will say that MOO2 was the only game in history where I had fun with the ship designer.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i always enjoyed the gimmicky space pirate build where you just steal everyone's ships with your burly combat bear men. mistake to take it out.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

uber_stoat posted:

i always enjoyed the gimmicky space pirate build where you just steal everyone's ships with your burly combat bear men. mistake to take it out.

It's fun as hell, especially against Antaran's. Getting Particle Beam and Xentronmium armor early on is a rush.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Clarste posted:

I will say that MOO2 was the only game in history where I had fun with the ship designer.

Alpha Centuari is the best. Fight me :)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mayveena posted:

Alpha Centuari is the best. Fight me :)

That's not a ship designer, it's a unit designer!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The lack of geography is a key feature of a space 4x imo. If I can't create my fleet of universe conquering ships at the end of the game and send them to every enemy star system in one turn for the crushing victory, then the end just becomes a pointless slog.

Chokepoints suck.

That's only a problem if the game demands you take away every single thing from your enemies, before it counts as a win.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Clarste posted:

This, a million times this. It was so much fun making all your pixel ships. Even though they mostly looked like weird things from shoot-em-ups, but who cares! MoO2 had a good balance between a ship's worth in combat and the cost of making it. You could still end up facing a Klackon fleet of ships that would literally fill up the combat screen, but at least in the earlier stages of the game, a killer ship could really make your day.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

uber_stoat posted:

Boarding in MOO2 is wildly OP and any attempt to balance it is going to require doing poo poo MOO2 didn't, so I get the impetus to just drop it entirely, but also it's fun as gently caress and most of the remakes are singleplayer-only so the devs might just be idiots???

THE BAR posted:

That's only a problem if the game demands you take away every single thing from your enemies, before it counts as a win.

:agreed:

do people actually play space games that way, a game could offer an irl blowjob as the prize for clearing the map and it still wouldn't be worth all the pointless loving around around long after you've dominated the game past any hope of a surprise or challenge

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You idiot, seeing the victory screen is the irl blowjob

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
moo1 letting you win once you get the council votes is one of its many advantages over moo2

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Panzeh posted:

moo1 letting you win once you get the council votes is one of its many advantages over moo2

MoO2 had the council as well.

Ways to win in MoO2.
Exterminate: conquer/destroy all your enemies. Not too much of a slog tbh since end-game tech lets you literally destroy planets and render the entire system uncolonizable which prevents anyone from backfiling.

Build the Anataran Portal and kill the Anataran's at their homeworld.

Council Votes, most votes wins. AI's are coded that at a certain level of "liking you" they will vote for you to win. If you have the most votes you can win as well without worrying about cleanup.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Old World has some nice victory conditions IMO. You can kill everyone else, get X points, have double the points of the next empire while also having at least X/2 points, or complete 10 ambitions - which are quests to meet certain goals ingame, each leader can pick an ambitions as they take the throne (your leaders age and die)

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Clarste posted:

The best spiritual sequel to MOO2 is FTL.

Never mind the 4 Xs, I want a space flotilla strategy game instead of one where I have to optimize the build orders of 200 different colonies with a selection of 100 different upgrades. Amp up the RPG and narrative elements like finding Orion, fighting Antarans and looting ancient shipwrecks, and give me a proper MOO2/Starflight hybrid slash open world FTL.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

So, Starsector?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Has anyone figured out a strategy game where instead of being eliminated losing players get vassalized or some poo poo and have a role into the end of the game? It was just about feasible to get a handful of people together to play a 10-hour-long turnbased game most of them would get kicked out of halfway through back when new games regularly came with PBEM multiplayer, but nowadays lmao no

I think Solium Infernum had some kind of interesting vassalization mechanic.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Hannibal Rex posted:

The best spiritual sequel to MOO2 is FTL.

Never mind the 4 Xs, I want a space flotilla strategy game instead of one where I have to optimize the build orders of 200 different colonies with a selection of 100 different upgrades. Amp up the RPG and narrative elements like finding Orion, fighting Antarans and looting ancient shipwrecks, and give me a proper MOO2/Starflight hybrid slash open world FTL.

Play Highfleet

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Clarste posted:

That's not a ship designer, it's a unit designer!

umm, there's ships in Alpha Centauri, checkmate

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Clarste posted:

i liked the one in star ruler 2

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Truga posted:

i liked the one in star ruler 2

That one was cool, but I was really bad at it. I did a quick google for anyone who hasn't played.

(It wasn't "fill in the preset grid" either, you literally painted the shape of the ship)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bremen posted:

That one was cool, but I was really bad at it. I did a quick google for anyone who hasn't played.

(It wasn't "fill in the preset grid" either, you literally painted the shape of the ship)

It's really good. And the total size of the ship scaled the production cost of the ship. Whereas the more components you put into the ship scaled their efficiency/damage output. In addition to armor being directional, if you put a group of 3 hexes of armor on the front, each provides ~1.7x as a single hex of armor.

As you unlocked better techs you could make larger total size of ships. Apparently in Star Ruler 1 the maximum ship size was enormous, like planet sized, but in Star Ruler 2 there was a more "reasonable" cap (though reasonableness in a 4x game with FTL travel seems pointless to me ;) )

Additionally a ship wasn't destroyed until it was damaged such that >50% of the ship was disconnected from each other, or all of your power-stations were destroyed. Possibly if all of your engines were destroyed too? I'm not sure. So distributing your power-generation plants throughout your ship was encouraged, but when power stations were damaged they had a chance of exploding causing cascading explosion to adjacent ship components.

Anyway, play Star Ruler, it has a lot of great design decisions.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I mean if we're talking only ship designers, then rule the waves surely claims the crown, but then it is a game built around a ship designer, rather than the other way around.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Does High Fleet have much ship design? I like designing ships if I can figure out what to design that works.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Bremen posted:

I was constantly frustrated because I was never sure how much the armour placement mattered. Was it enough to just be on the outer layer? What about oddly shaped hulls? Do I only need to armour the bits likely to be hit or so I need to layer on in the inner curse of this S shaped bit? Or is it just I need X armour plates on a given section of a ship and it's assumed to be spread around enough?

For everything that was awful about it, SotS 2 has a nice armour/damage model. Ships had an armour depth and layers of hardening for each facing. Weapons had an armour damage pattern and some had hardening-pricing:

and:
http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/Tactical_Combat
Real shame about the rest of the game though :(

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Star Ruler armor was pretty intuitive I thought. You put armor where you are worried about being hit. During combat you can literally see where your ships are taking damage. Each hex of a ship has X hitpoints modified by component type and size of the ship, Armor has the most hitpoints.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sounds complicated ships should just go bang bang imo

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
MOO1 and Space Empires were the only games I played where it felt like the ship design actually mattered. MOO2 felt like you just load up your biggest ship with the biggest guns and fire away.

I think MOO was really helped by the chess-sized field that made choices obvious and impactful, and limits that forced you to make choices about trade-offs between power and efficiency. The lack of refits and limited design slots made each design feel important, not just an exercise to plod through every time a new tech appeared.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

PerniciousKnid posted:

MOO1 and Space Empires were the only games I played where it felt like the ship design actually mattered. MOO2 felt like you just load up your biggest ship with the biggest guns and fire away.

I think MOO was really helped by the chess-sized field that made choices obvious and impactful, and limits that forced you to make choices about trade-offs between power and efficiency. The lack of refits and limited design slots made each design feel important, not just an exercise to plod through every time a new tech appeared.

God SE4 was too easy but I love that game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Here's a question. Is there a 4X out there with an AI that can pose a challenge without cheating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Old World is solid in this regard, from what I hear.