Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

two of the surveys i work on are state level covid19 surveillance surveys, one is gen pop and the other is medicaid recipients. i review open end responses regularly to make sure there are no death threats and whatnot.

by far most people saying they won't get it write it's because it's too new/not fully approved by the fda. you have some people who do say it's because there are aborted fetuses in the vaccines or simply "religion." less frequently, you get conspiracy poo poo like they don't want the gov to track them and occasional mentions of reptilians. one reply today simply said "i support trump."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Yes good job you cracked the case

Thx. It’s kinda weird when predominantly minority zip codes are dealing with anti-vaccine nonsense like everyone else and ITT we’re like “it’s because they’re afraid of ICE” or “they think they’ll go bankrupt” lol.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

one reply today simply said "i support trump."

To be fair, that might be their stock reply to many of the dumb things that they do.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

one reply today simply said "i support trump."
Trump got vaccinated, lol

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

it's been a while since anyone mentioned magnetism at least

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

Trump got vaccinated, lol

also, operation warp speed

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

stratdax posted:

also, operation warp speed
aka “Florida”

https://twitter.com/NikkiFried/status/1424826916985520140

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
One thing I hear occasionally is, "I'm not getting the vaccine bc it's MRNA and that' not fully proven."

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I know a few people at work that refused to get Pfizer or Moderna for that reason and got the J&J. I guess 67% efficacy is better than nothing.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
I overheard some suburban white lady talking about how she wasn't letting her college-aged son get the vaccine because she heard it could affect fertility and she wanted grandchildren.

From what I've noticed, most people not getting the vaccine that I know personally are just clinging to any shred of non-existent evidence that supports their decision. Everyone's got a slightly different reason, but the reasons are all terrible. You can't argue too much with them though because they just dig their heels in the ground.

The only thing that works really is folks they are close to dying or nearly dying. It's sad

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I feel like whenever the FDA officially approves it, people who don't want it are just going to say it was politically motivated or bogus anyway, no matter how long it takes. But maybe it being official will open some legal possibilities for schools and stuff to protect themselves? Like I'm pretty sure you need to prove you've had other vaccines, this could be treated the same way, right?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mush Mushi posted:

Okay so anyone who still isn’t vaccinated in the USA is a victim of disinformation, distrusts the government, and/or is part of a community that generally (and incorrectly) perceives the medical and economic risks of vaccination to be greater than the risks of actually catching covid.

It’s only bad if they are right wing. Do I have that right? Even though if you talk to average working people the underlying reasons for vaccine hesitancy are largely the same?

You don't have that right. The part that you (and other posters) have wrong is the assumption that anyone who isn't vaccinated already is just hesitant. Per Pew polling and the KFF, black and hispanic adults are only slightly more hesitant to get the vaccine than white adults, not enough to explain the huge difference in actual vaccination rate between these groups.

The predominant factor has been lack of early access. For a long time white communities were more likely to have vaccine centers, simple as that. There has been a noted uptick in the vaccination rate in black and hispanic communities since then, but they still have other barriers to deal with; they're less likely to have flexible working schedules to take time off, things like that. In fact in June WAPO mapped vaccination rate to zip codes and found that the greatest correlation was actually to income; poor people have been less likely to have access, and minorities are more likely to be poor.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrQwerty posted:

it's an OSHA safety and insurance liability thing, working for hours in an N95 is physically strenuous on your respiratory system.

edit: furthermore, unless you're wearing one correctly, so fuckin what if you have an N95. Your face better be shaved smoother than a baby's rear end and that thing better fit perfectly, or have additional PPE covering the holes in the breathing apparatus on the side of your face (which is improper use in the first place) or you might as well just wear a paper mask and get the same level of protection for cheap.

This is out of step with CDC guidance

on wildfires

It turns out that N95s are safe and effective in the hands of the general public. The only reason not to wear them is to save supplies for health care workers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If a black person says "I refuse to take the vaccine, it will let Bill Gates control your brain with 5g" then you will be in good company when you laugh at them. But it's a fact that a far smaller fraction of black people are saying that they refuse to get vaccinated; unlike chuds, a large proportion of black people are responding with an intent to vaccinate

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

If a black person says "I refuse to take the vaccine, it will let Bill Gates control your brain with 5g" then you will be in good company when you laugh at them. But it's a fact that a far smaller fraction of black people are saying that they refuse to get vaccinated; unlike chuds, a large proportion of black people are responding with an intent to vaccinate

I've heard there's a large portion of the black community that take the "look at what they did to us the last time, he'll no" approach. Stupid.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Squashy posted:

I overheard some suburban white lady talking about how she wasn't letting her college-aged son get the vaccine because she heard it could affect fertility and she wanted grandchildren.

Wasn't that literally a conspiracy theory being spread by incels?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Purgatory Glory posted:

I've heard there's a large portion of the black community that take the "look at what they did to us the last time, he'll no" approach. Stupid.

According to KFF polling, the proportion of the black community saying that is very small. What you've heard is right wing propaganda attempting to deflect from the fact that right-wing talking heads are the ones responsible for so much hesitancy among conservative whites, which make up the largest fraction of the unvaccinated.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

AHH F/UGH posted:

I rage-listened to Ben Shapiro’s radio show in the car because I’m an idiot and the chucklefuck had the nerve to say “so far only around 300 children aged 12 and under have died from Covid in America” and use that as an argument to OPEN UP DEM BEACHES because as per usual the right wing in America is a death cult and child death is their favorite delicacy

Why would you do that lol

I can barely stand Bill Maher and he had lil' Ben on his latest episode and he's really loving insufferable

I've given Ben a chance many times but I just can't, I don't believe he's honest in his discussion, he turns on all my grifter alarms

Oh I'm sure it'll be fine :buddy:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

The only time you should consume something made by Ben Shapiro is listening to Robert Evans reading Bens terrible novel on his podcast

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

On topic, all hail nurgle

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Why would you do that lol

I can barely stand Bill Maher and he had lil' Ben on his latest episode and he's really loving insufferable

I've given Ben a chance many times but I just can't, I don't believe he's honest in his discussion, he turns on all my grifter alarms

There's was nothing good on all my presets so I started scanning around while I was in the Dairy Queen drive thru because my wife wanted a Starkiss popsicle and boom suddenly on some no-name station I hear his unmistakable fast-talking nasal complainy voice and he's talking about that Nate Silver tweet from a few days ago with the different groups

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

The Walrus posted:

so why is everyone still acting like this will ever go away and the way forward isn't reacting to variants as soon as possible with regular booster shots tailored to new infection vectors

There's a thing called antigenic sin, where if you've vaccinated against one strain, subsequent tweaks to the vaccine might not work quite as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_antigenic_sin

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Doing some back of the envelope sums as the Australian government and media start trying to convince the public that having COVID circulate after a certain vaccination rate is actually good, and telling us that it will be treated "like the flu."

The UK averaged about 15,000 annual deaths from the flu over the past decade, which if you average it out over the year is 41 a day. It's currently averaging 86 COVID deaths a day. In summer. The US averages about 40,000 annual flu deaths, or 109 a day. It's currently averaging 516 COVID deaths a day. Again, in summer.

I know neither country is at an ideal vaccination rate yet because the powers that be decided to open up too early for the fourth or fifth time in a row, but this doesn't seem to be to be a good argument for stripping away quarantine border controls and other NPIs just yet.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1424837948655214598

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
https://twitter.com/KiaSpeaks/status/1422535010406604805

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

According to KFF polling, the proportion of the black community saying that is very small. What you've heard is right wing propaganda attempting to deflect from the fact that right-wing talking heads are the ones responsible for so much hesitancy among conservative whites, which make up the largest fraction of the unvaccinated.

I'll accept that as true. What I will say anecdotally, which may also be incorrect is I have met with a Latino person in Canada who described his Latino family in Florida as "they're crazy, they don't believe in any of it. They won't get the vaccine". Is that an outlier as well?

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Stepmother just got breakthrough COVID, despite being fully magnetized! I was just about to go to see her and Dad (also 5G), glad she got tested and told me. She said she started feeling bad Friday and thought, "well, it probably isn't but..." & got swabbed anyway.

Headache, coughing, a little shortness of breath, but no fever. Also a sore throat, which to me means it's probably the Delta variant that likes the nose and throat too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lord Stimperor posted:

On topic, all hail nurge

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hello fellow posters,

If you, like me, are somewhat concerned about this lil' bug business, the "Covid 19" hoopla you might have heard about, please remember you can actually do something about it, with the power of your computer!

https://foldingathome.org/

Folding @ Home is a nifty app that simulates protein folding and can run in the background, or only while your PC is idle

Your CPU Cycles might help find some potential drug for Corona!

I've been running it basically since it was available and I'm sure many of you have too, but it never hurts to promote it for those who haven't jumped in. Since the project pivoted to Covid research, big names like Microsoft, AMD, Intel and Nvidia have joined.

Have a great pandemic,

yours truly, CFS

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

“Wait and see” is better than “will never vaccinate” but it’s little solace with delta going around and schools reopening now. Maybe my county is an outlier, but we are high vulnerability, highly vaccinated, and I can’t go anywhere without seeing a vaccination clinic not to mention the drug stores with doses on every block. This still leaves a large proportion of vaccine hesitant and anti-vaccine people who are not chuds. I’m seeing and hearing a lot of people who know how to get a vaccine and simply won’t do it. Since this is the covid thread I’m hesitant to scream chud chud chud when chuddery is quite low in my county and people are dying just the same.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

My sister runs a winery in California and a number of the (Hispanic immigrant) farm crew (~50%) were unvaccinated. She was able to convince them all by something like the following
1) Group financial incentives. Everyone who was vaccinated would get money if at least 85% of the crew was.
2) An hour long 1 on 1 discussion with each hesitant person
3) Finding a clinic where they could walk in with no paperwork or signups. I think they are all insured through Kaiser but their signup system is pointlessly bureaucratic.
4) A prominent Hispanic restauranteur in the area had died of it recently.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

we did a follow up of people who said they weren't getting vaccinated in one wave of the survey and on a later wave said they did or they would and it was almost entirely "i have to for work"

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Florida is just so bad right now. One thing I noticed is their positive test rate has skyrocketed up to over 20%. Now you expect it to rise a bit as resources struggle to keep up with the surge of people needing tests, but this is just extreme. For example, during the winter wave they peaked at 13.9%. During the early summer wave last year where it spread around the US and testing was still scarce, they peaked at 17.7%. So now they are likely missing more cases than they have ever been missing before, and their wave is still rising.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

we did a follow up of people who said they weren't getting vaccinated in one wave of the survey and on a later wave said they did or they would and it was almost entirely "i have to for work"

Yeah. A lot, and I daresay MOST, of the vax "hesitancy" will not stand up against the loss of a job and need to find another.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I was legit shocked when one of my gently caress THE GOVMINT uncles actually got vaxed for his job instead of just faking a vaccine card

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

lol

FIFTY K-12 STUDENTS TEST POSITIVE FOR COVID-19 OVER THE WEEKEND IN LANE COUNTY

https://www.kezi.com/content/news/50-K-12-students-in-Lane-County-tested-positive-for-COVID-19-over-the-weekend-575063961.html

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mush Mushi posted:

“Wait and see” is better than “will never vaccinate” but it’s little solace with delta going around and schools reopening now. Maybe my county is an outlier, but we are high vulnerability, highly vaccinated, and I can’t go anywhere without seeing a vaccination clinic not to mention the drug stores with doses on every block. This still leaves a large proportion of vaccine hesitant and anti-vaccine people who are not chuds. I’m seeing and hearing a lot of people who know how to get a vaccine and simply won’t do it. Since this is the covid thread I’m hesitant to scream chud chud chud when chuddery is quite low in my county and people are dying just the same.

Similar to the "will never vaccinate" group, the "wait and see" group is majority white, per the KFF. There is relatively little hesitancy among black people to get the vaccine

It's not all chuds, but chuds are the majority of the "never vaccinate" and the "wait and see" groups. And keep in mind that there are some black chuds; brain damage can occur in any race!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

wilderthanmild posted:

Florida is just so bad right now. One thing I noticed is their positive test rate has skyrocketed up to over 20%. Now you expect it to rise a bit as resources struggle to keep up with the surge of people needing tests, but this is just extreme. For example, during the winter wave they peaked at 13.9%. During the early summer wave last year where it spread around the US and testing was still scarce, they peaked at 17.7%. So now they are likely missing more cases than they have ever been missing before, and their wave is still rising.
Even better news for us is that school goes back this week

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

What kind of freakish counties do you guys live in where school starts in mid-August and not like a month later

If that happened here when I was a kid you'd see teachers protesting and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

What kind of freakish counties do you guys live in where school starts in mid-August and not like a month later

If that happened here when I was a kid you'd see teachers protesting and poo poo

I grew up going to school at the start/early middle of August so like, literally the entire south as far as I'm aware.

Hey so everybody: Every hospital around me except for the military hospital and my own county's single hospital are completely overrun. Don't come to Augusta, GA.

E: I forget why I got my red text but wasn't it "I'm really loving worried no masks is going to gently caress us"-type talk except not well written because i'm changing that to oh poo poo this is fuckin' bad.