Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Aw man I am so eager to dive into lore discussion! But I've only looked a couple early spoiler replies, I'm gonna hold off on those bigger looking ones till either me or Nat gets to a new ending.

It's nice to still think it through myself a bit longer and still be able to come up with junk like "Fight Club poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The "teleports behind u" -> hiss and skitter -> dash uppercut combo is super rude and hits me nearly every time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The dash uppercut used to be my most hated attack until I figured out the whole "dash away from him" strategy and that turned it into the most consistent way of getting damage out because with Quickslash equipped it was a guaranteed window to land two hits.

Nightmare King Grimm is my favourite boss fight in the game, my other two being Pure Vessel and Sisters of Battle

As a side note, my three favourite boss fights in the game at launch Mantis Lords, Radiance and Failed Champion

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The title card is so, so good, but the effect wears off so quickly when you've seen it 10 times in 5 minutes. I never did beat NKG on my playthrough, if I get back to my replay its a top priority.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

I'm pretty certain this is a game specific problem (or maybe steam specific?) because my Pro controller works fine with my switch as my 20 hours of pokemon unite will attest.

Okay I'm ALMOST caught up, but I'm gonna post a response to this because I had this same issue and it was really bugging me :D

When I picked up playing this again recently, something in the game settings had changed since last I played, and I kept having my dash button cut out periodically and then come back online after a bit, exactly like Nat has. I also thought it was a controller issue, but in the options menu in-game setting "native controller input" to ON fixed the problem entirely. Hope this helps!

(Also I'm a few episodes back and I agree that the Grimmkin are irritating to fight, but they're designed to give you a very specific preview of Grimm's attacks and teach you how to fight him before you actually fight him. It's just not presented as well and doesn't flow as well as Grimm himself, so it feels like a slog when combined with hunting them all down.)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The title card is so, so good, but the effect wears off so quickly when you've seen it 10 times in 5 minutes. I never did beat NKG on my playthrough, if I get back to my replay its a top priority.

It's also noticeable because for the other boss to get a big title card, after the first time it skips straight to the fight

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SirPhoebos posted:

It's also noticeable because for the other boss to get a big title card, after the first time it skips straight to the fight

So what you’re saying is, Nightmare King Grimm is a theatre kid.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Apropos of nothing (except me drunkposting rn), Eternal Emilitia is the best NPC, discuss

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
She's good, but she's no Brumm. Nor Nymm.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

She's no Quirrel, who is a sweet cinnamon roll too good and pure for this cruel world, but I appreciate how much fun she's having watching the world end.

If nothing else, she's the NPC I wish we could interact with more, because I imagine she must have interesting insights to offer about Hallownest's society back in the day.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Elderbug is the best and shame on people walking past him in the intro

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm catching up on the videos I didn't get to see yet, and I just finished the video 'Junk Pit'.

I'd say the ending to that video was pretty Unn-expected. :v:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The Collector gave me SO much trouble. I have no idea really why, their patterns are pretty simple when you get down to it. It's getting overwhelmed by beasties that can get you in the fight. Actually, you know what it is? I probably didn't have Unbreakable Strength at the time so it took a lot more effort to kill the little guys that fell out of the ceiling.

Anyway, now that we've gotten here I can say that the only reason I learned that the Hive existed at all was because I got the collector's map and I was searching out grubs and found myself down there wondering what to do about the couple in there. It's a really good tool to make sure you've been thorough as possible.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I think most of the grubs left are fake grubs actually?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

No the map only calls out the real grubs, and they only use that fakeout trick like twice? Nat's already seen it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Collector is another one of those bosses that's really tough if you come to it early, and a joke if you come to it late. Like Flukemarm, if you can kill the adds in one hit then the fight is nothing special.

Also if you are good about hunting down hidden lore (or just really observant about other enemies), you'll realize that the Collector is a Kingsmould gone rogue :eng101:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fun fact, if you die to The Collector, he puts your Shade in a jar. :3:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

No the map only calls out the real grubs, and they only use that fakeout trick like twice? Nat's already seen it.

There are a total of 4 Grub Mimics in the game, not counting the one in the Colosseum. 3 of those are in Deepnest, because of course.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

When the Grimm Troupe DLC launched, it was true that the circus would disappear when Grimm was defeated, and you would lose your chance to get the unbreakable charms. Team Cherry obviously realized the problem with that, and fixed it so now Divine will stay even when the rest of the circus leaves.

The Collector's an interesting boss, because, being made of void, it doesn't give you any soul when you hit it. Of course, the add-ons still give you plenty of opportunity to gain soul, but it's an extra thing to deal with.

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 13, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Collector is one funky dealer in bugs.

fractalairduct posted:

When the Grimm Troupe DLC launched, it was true that the circus would disappear when Grimm was defeated, and you would lose your chance to get the unbreakable charms. Team Cherry obviously realized the problem with that, and fixed it so now Divine will stay even when the rest of the circus leaves.

This is understandably untrue if you banish them, but you at least get whatever fragile charm Divine's eaten back in that case.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Is the third pantheon open now in Godhome? I think it might be?

Nat needs to visit Leg Eater at some point too.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tea: "I didn't think you would walk into the Failed Champion!"

That's a lie, and you know it. :colbert:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
yo make nat go visit the grubs again

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Combining Glowing Womb and Defender's Crest makes you spawn homing poop missiles, it's great.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Failed Champion can be really tough, but if you stick really really close to it you can kind of trick its AI into just repeatedly jumping over you.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It is a shame that none of the really wacky charm combinations are better than the boringly effective ones like going full caster build, or going Strength + Longnail/Pride.

Caster build really is kind of effortless through the midgame.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

bewilderment posted:

Yeah, and then it bites you in the rear end when bosses can't be deleted in one volley anymore because you didn't learn how to dodge properly.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I had an unfortunate over-reliance on Flukenest but there weren't really any major reasons to stop. The damage output was absolutely disgusting.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

bewilderment posted:

It is a shame that none of the really wacky charm combinations are better than the boringly effective ones like going full caster build, or going Strength + Longnail/Pride.

A pet build with Glowing Womb, Defender's Crest, Grubsong, and Weaversong beat Traitor Lord for me, so I keep trying to make it work elsewhere. It really kinda doesn't. Mostly because Weaversong keeps hitting the exploding jellyfish in Fog Canyon before I'm ready for them.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

YggiDee posted:

I had an unfortunate over-reliance on Flukenest but there weren't really any major reasons to stop. The damage output was absolutely disgusting.

I just found out that Flukenest doesn't work on Pure Vessel, which is a wtf.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I found Weaversong + Grubsong to be super useful for the Trial of Fool as the spiders would constantly harm any enemies on the ground while leeching Soul off them. I could leave one enemy alive, then heal while my spiderlings fill up my Soul meter. They also leeched Soul from the invincible Garpedes which was nice. I also stan by using Dreamshield for NKG to rack up tons of free hits when you dash over/under him.

But yeah pets are kinda niche which is a shame.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Minion build is also decent against Zote because it leaves you free to focus on evading him.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think I cheesed, or attempted to cheese, the Failed Champion with one of those builds; just keep jumping in one of the top corners out of his reach while your minions chip away at him. Can't remember if it actually worked or if I ended up beating him the normal way, or even if I beat him at all it was that long ago now. I do remember that I put the game down because the aspect of it that appealed to me the most - exploring the map, collecting grubs and charms and whatnot - had pretty much run its course and all that was left were difficult platforming & boss challenges which weren't going to reward me with whole new areas to explore. I decided to leave it there and walk away on a good note so that my final memory of playing the game was one of satisfaction and not one of frustration. The "bad ending" was good enough for me, and I've seen the rest via various playthroughs.

I then made the mistake of immediately trying to play other games of this type to try to recapture the feeling of playing Hollow Knight for the first time. I bounced off Celeste, I bounced off Axiom Verge, I bounced off Ori (again) and I bounced hard off Bloodstained (the lovely art direction in that game, my god) because none of them looked like, controlled like, or were Hollow Knight. I might have ruined my chances of ever enjoying those games by trying to play them too soon after HK. Now I'm just forlornely waiting for Silksong like everyone else, saddened by the absolute lack of any news or updates on how its coming along. Occasionally my son tugs at my sleeve and asks me dad, why don't you play or talk anymore, or leave the house, and I turn my head so that my blank gaze looks past him and say "they said it was coming.... soon."

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Cactus posted:

I then made the mistake of immediately trying to play other games of this type to try to recapture the feeling of playing Hollow Knight for the first time. I bounced off Celeste, I bounced off Axiom Verge, I bounced off Ori (again) and I bounced hard off Bloodstained (the lovely art direction in that game, my god) because none of them looked like, controlled like, or were Hollow Knight. I might have ruined my chances of ever enjoying those games by trying to play them too soon after HK. Now I'm just forlornely waiting for Silksong like everyone else, saddened by the absolute lack of any news or updates on how its coming along. Occasionally my son tugs at my sleeve and asks me dad, why don't you play or talk anymore, or leave the house, and I turn my head so that my blank gaze looks past him and say "they said it was coming.... soon."

:same:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Hollow Knight is notable not for doing anything particularly novel, but for doing what it does really, really well. You're in for a bad time if you want more Hollow Knight. FWIW though I wouldn't say Celeste has anything in common with HK, being a Life-Affirming Challenge Platformer. It's worth a revisit on its own merits if you're ever just looking for something to play.

(I've bounced off Ori multiple times too, and Bloodstained was only novel for having played every Vania of the genre, it's pretty unremarkable. Never got to Axiom Verge.)

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Axiom Verge is cool as poo poo, but is far from A Perfect Game. It’s got some really awesome upgrade tools and is a love letter to anyone who noodled around with the false worlds between the walls in the original Metroid.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Never played this game or any of the contemporary other indie platformer games mentioned before save Bloodstained, but I will say as much as the death mechanic in this game reminds me far too much of Soulsborne type gameplay which I despise, this game still has a lot going for it in terms of originality. Not just the atmosphere and art direction either, it's the challenge involved dealing with the various enemies too, in addition to the way you can customize your character as well as all the combinations of charms that reward replay value and experimenting with different playstyles to get past certain situations.

I'll third Bloodstained not being as good as it could have been. Enjoyed it overall, but after Dawn of Sorrow and Ecclesia allowed Soul/Glyph combos, for the shards to not combo at all was beyond irritating. That's not getting into how enemies from early/mid-game would still appear in late game areas. The rewards for the boss rush stuff were underwhelming too, and despite using Curse of Darkness's weapon customization system which along with the monster system were one of the few things I liked about that game, zero interesting was done with that. Seriously, the lightsaber in Bloodstained is just another sword as opposed to having it's own unique identity. And much of the palette swapped enemies retained the exact same attack patterns as their weaker counterparts. For that reason, I never had a problem with small fairy type enemies where in other Igavania's, they were always a threat on some level and there was a whole variety of them posing various challenges. That's not getting into how some enemies (looking at you Den of Behemoths) flat out recycled shards or were incredibly easy to manipulate with minimal risk due to certain enemy blind spots. I'm all for more Symphony, but this felt like a straight up rehash of that one, while liberally sprinkling elements from past games without innovating upon them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cactus posted:

I think I cheesed, or attempted to cheese, the Failed Champion with one of those builds; just keep jumping in one of the top corners out of his reach while your minions chip away at him. Can't remember if it actually worked or if I ended up beating him the normal way, or even if I beat him at all it was that long ago now. I do remember that I put the game down because the aspect of it that appealed to me the most - exploring the map, collecting grubs and charms and whatnot - had pretty much run its course and all that was left were difficult platforming & boss challenges which weren't going to reward me with whole new areas to explore. I decided to leave it there and walk away on a good note so that my final memory of playing the game was one of satisfaction and not one of frustration. The "bad ending" was good enough for me, and I've seen the rest via various playthroughs.

Games that have filled (or partially filled) the Hollow Knight shaped hole in my heart, in order from most to least:

Ender Lillies: Quietus of the Knights
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (specifically Ori 2, not Blind Forest)
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (filled the hole well, but ended quickly)
Blasphemous