Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I was looking at it when it first launched, it seems really cool. Unfortunately I have Game Pass disease where I'm no longer willing to spend $20 on some unknown indie game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

I hope BotW 2 is an actual Zelda game rather than an open world sandbox with Link running around.

It would be an actual Zelda game if it was an open world sandbox with Zelda running around.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

New BOTW2 screenshot

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Waltzing Along posted:

I hope BotW 2 is an actual Zelda game rather than an open world sandbox with Link running around.

I agree, Zelda 1 was not an actual Zelda game.

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

I hope Botw2 is a good game that everyone enjoys

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

American McGay posted:

I was looking at it when it first launched, it seems really cool. Unfortunately I have Game Pass disease where I'm no longer willing to spend $20 on some unknown indie game.

Ha, I'm the opposite. My tastes in games are fairly specific, so I've never subscribed to PS+ or Game Pass. Chances are, by the time a game I want to play pops up on one of those, it's already been on my radar and I've already bought it!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

American McGay posted:

BOTW rules, Master Mode is garbage, and I hope BOTW2 has actual dungeons this time. Bye.

I'm completely confused how weapon durability became the meme issue for Breath of the Wild instead of no dungeons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mycot posted:

I'm completely confused how weapon durability became the meme issue for Breath of the Wild instead of no dungeons.

There’s four dungeons (five with dlc). Hell the castle is kinda a dungeon? That’s almost half a dozen!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The castle is kinda cool but the animals are like, 4 rooms!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s four dungeons (five with dlc). Hell the castle is kinda a dungeon? That’s almost half a dozen!

There's a post somewhere on these forums where someone argued the game teens worth of dungeons and their count included the mazes and the yiga stealth section

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

botw was the first zelda i beat. i almost certainly wouldnt have gone back and played LttP, OoT, and MM without loving it so much. since i didnt have the old experience to compare to really, i didnt mind the dungeons at all and thought they were fun. but after playing LttP and OoT, yeah, I get what people missed and agree that botw would have been better with those kind of dungeons.

but tbh even having the different stye of dungeons that it did, it was so dang good that i wont really be that disappointed if botw2 doesn't do old-style dungeons. very excited to climb and pet dogs

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I really enjoyed getting into Urbosa's divine beast. Surfing around and lobbing arrows at the feet felt pretty good to me.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The cool part of Zelda dungeons are the environments and atmosphere. I accept the beasts as a dungeon, but not as multiple dungeons as they're all iterations on the same design. The Castle also gets to count as a dungeon, for a total of two dungeons.

That's not enough dungeons!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i think my favorite thing was landing on a dark island and seeing some giant eyeball and thinking "what happens if i shoot it?" i shot it, and it was very mad at me. it was some kinda giant cyclops thing and i used some of the dungeon powers to absolutely destroy it in like 20 seconds. it was a tense moment and it was a lot of fun.

other than that moment the combat was p weak and i hated the final boss fight

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

mycot posted:

Not everybody likes dungeons. I don't like them and I'm glad BotW didn't have them. Dungeons to me are these annoying timesinks that I have to delve into when the game decides I can't explore anymore without the next dungeon toy. So I go into them to get a new doohickey so I can explore more.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I also agree that they should go back to making bad games instead of leeching off better departments

bemusedchunk
May 10, 2021
weapons breaking in botw is a good thing and I hope it returns.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Not everybody likes Zelda games, so they should change Zelda games so that they appeal to people who don't like them :hmmyes:

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Yeah I hate when doom traps me in an arena fight and makes me shoot guys when all I wanna do is double jump around and look for keys and hidden doodads.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Volte posted:

Not everybody likes Zelda games, so they should change Zelda games so that they appeal to people who don't like them :hmmyes:

this why botw happened, yes

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Silver Falcon posted:

Not everybody likes dungeons. I don't like them and I'm glad BotW didn't have them. Dungeons to me are these annoying timesinks that I have to delve into when the game decides I can't explore anymore without the next dungeon toy. So I go into them to get a new doohickey so I can explore more.

I realize my opinion is probably the minority one, which is why BOTW sold a zillion copies, but because it's at my expense I will whine about it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nintendo thread I am doing a display case for my old Super Mario Bros, and Legend of Zelda cartridges.

If one were to create a museum style 'Object Label' what would you write on it and how would you format it? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_label#Object_labels

Whatever I come up with doesn't look right to me, and I want second opinions.

I want to start off each with something like:

quote:

The Legend of Zelda
Video Game Series, est 1986

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Weapon durability is good, unlimited access to the entire map is not necessarily good. I hope there's more restriction and more stuff that you need to explore for in BOTW 2. Give me more reasons to go around the map and do various things rather than wiping an area clean of all content in a single pass and never having a reason to return. Make places feel special. Something more like the original Zelda model where a LOT of stuff can be done out of intended order to give more options if you so desire, but obviously with more modern breadcrumbing to help players spot their various options.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

finding a new toy in a dungeon is one of the best parts of zelda imo. botw didn't have that, on top of its myriad other sins, and that's why i'm afraid it's not a very fun game.

bemusedchunk
May 10, 2021

Infinitum posted:

Nintendo thread I am doing a display case for my old Super Mario Bros, and Legend of Zelda cartridges.

If one were to create a museum style 'Object Label' what would you write on it and how would you format it? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_label#Object_labels

Whatever I come up with doesn't look right to me, and I want second opinions.

I want to start off each with something like:

I’m sure the National Video Game Museum can give you some inspiration.

http://nvmusa.org/

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Infinitum posted:

What display case/frame are you using? I'd like something like this, but I'm not sure which frames/cases protect from the sun or not.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I want Zelda games to go back to the LttP design where the Big Key opens the dungeon treasure and the boss room, that makes dungeons way more interesting and way less linear. It feels like after Majora's Mask every dungeon just turned into a single straight path from the entrance to the dungeon item to the boss key to the boss room.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Twelve by Pies posted:

I want Zelda games to go back to the LttP design where the Big Key opens the dungeon treasure and the boss room, that makes dungeons way more interesting and way less linear. It feels like after Majora's Mask every dungeon just turned into a single straight path from the entrance to the dungeon item to the boss key to the boss room.

The game designer's toolkit guy on youtube did a fascinating game by game analysis of zelda dungeons from this perspective, well worth checking out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

What display case/frame are you using? I'd like something like this, but I'm not sure which frames/cases protect from the sun or not.

It's the glass. You have to get UV resistant glass for the frame.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The fact that LttP works amazingly well as a metroidvania when you randomize the item locations despite that being something the devs never even considered really shows just how well designed it is.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Read After Burning posted:

It is an ikea Kasseby display box, I don't think they make them any more.

bemusedchunk posted:

I’m sure the National Video Game Museum can give you some inspiration.

http://nvmusa.org/

This could be helpful, thank you.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

every zelda should be a new thing and botw 2 should be a majoras mask style shift to something completely different.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

except it should be good, unlike majoras mask

that's right i said it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Achmed Jones posted:

that's right i said it

You belong in prison.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I hope the Zelda top-down team get to keep making top-down Zelda's, seperate to the open world crew.

Link Between Worlds was amazing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Achmed Jones posted:

that's right i said it

:mods:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That orc had a little red circle around his feet; he knows what he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9fq3GLlP5M

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Infinitum posted:

I hope the Zelda top-down team get to keep making top-down Zelda's, seperate to the open world crew.

Link Between Worlds was amazing.

Close thread.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

all i ask of botw2, and every subsequent zelda game, is that they clear the extremely tiny hurdle of being better than twilight princess and skyward sword

if nintendo manages to make a zelda game worse than either of those i'm out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

twilight princess ftw