Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Genius shouldn't kick in on babies, or the there should be a "baby" modifier of like, minus a thousand.

It's ridiculous and dumb you can plot succession the day a super heir is born.

I won't shame anyone for getting into superhuman breeding programs, but I will complain that it is way, way too easy to. My guys wind up pretty crazy, because even if I don't pursue traits, I sure as hell use them as a tie breaker for similarly useful marriages, and good spouse stats is too beneficial to ignore.

Does anyone else take a great interest in how their rulers look from generation to generation? That part of the genetics system fascinates me. Seeing hints of earlier characters, or having two that didn't look at all similar until the younger one gets to the age your older one "started" with and you see it clearly. It's really well done, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Had a succession crisis and lost my kingdom to a previous vassal. What's my best method to get that back? I'm now probably the second or third most powerful vassal under him. Just slowly gobble up the smaller vassals then make a move?

Also, what's a decent make-up for MaA? I was going the siege route but feel like I should balance it out more. I've got 8/8 mangonels, 7/8 bowmen, 7/8 skirmishers and 1/8 pikemen. I'm playing in Ireland if that matters.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Had a succession crisis and lost my kingdom to a previous vassal. What's my best method to get that back? I'm now probably the second or third most powerful vassal under him. Just slowly gobble up the smaller vassals then make a move?

Also, what's a decent make-up for MaA? I was going the siege route but feel like I should balance it out more. I've got 8/8 mangonels, 7/8 bowmen, 7/8 skirmishers and 1/8 pikemen. I'm playing in Ireland if that matters.

Yeah you have a lot of avenues for eating a kingdom from the inside out so if you get deposed the best thing to do is just consolidate under the protection of your new king and then pick your moment to try to make a claim for the crown (right after they have a succession crisis is usually a good time. You can use murder plots to speed things along).

For MaA you are actually better off focusing on one type (plus one or two stacks of siege engines) than diversifying. Which unit you want to focus on depends on what you have available from technology and culture, and what you can afford (heavy cavalry is the best option, period, but might be too expensive for a smaller ruler to field full stacks of them). Heavy infantry is second best, and if you have a cultural variant you should take that over any standard unit type since they are always straight upgrades.

The reason going all in on one type works better is that countering is based on relative sizes of units, and the AI tends to diversify, meaning they will never really have enough of the countering unit type to make a significant impact on the strength of your MaA if you just have like 2000 troops of a single type.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Red_Fred posted:

Well you already have a claim, so if you think you can beat him in a straight up fight, you can just do that. If not, start a Claimant Faction and see if you can get some other vassals to back you up. If you succeed that way you will give anyone who helps you a favor hook, but that might well be worth it. Otherwise yea gobble other vassals. You don't have to press that claim right away either, your next character will inherit a weak claim in time.

For MaA, with 3 or 4 slots, one siege stack of whatever the best siege engine you have is, and then either all Armored Cavalry if you can afford it (in Ireland probably not), and all Armoured Footmen if you can't.

The stats on bowmen and skirmishers are terrible.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Veryslightlymad posted:

Genius shouldn't kick in on babies, or the there should be a "baby" modifier of like, minus a thousand.

It's ridiculous and dumb you can plot succession the day a super heir is born.
I agree - intelligence stats shouldn't be visible until like midway through their education. Maybe it can scale so "quick" will display earlier, intelligent a bit later, and genius at like mid-teens. Same with the beauty and strength.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

PancakeTransmission posted:

Same with the beauty and strength.

It particularly bothered me in CK2 where the beauty trait was called "attractive".

"Good news, my liege! Your newborn baby is VERY attractive." -That one creepy delivery nurse

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Similarly, you should not be mail-ordering bethrothals like "I'd really like to marry your super hot 3 year old"

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Nor having a toddler be more competent at accounting/organizing armies/proselytizing than a good chunk of your general population, no.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I can assure you the royal toddler possesses more wisdom and beauty than all of the peasants of the realm.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

guidoanselmi posted:

I can assure you the royal toddler possesses more wisdom and beauty than all of the peasants of the realm.

And would beat your king in a single combat duel

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Sure you can be the Emperor of Jerusalem and master of the Arabian Peninsula, but when the Byzantines want your land you’re hosed. *sigh*

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thats all good and useful, but what really matters (to me) is eugenics. So that is correct

Is actually ridiculous how powerful eugenics is in CK3, compared to CK2

I did only 1 game so far from the early start to end, just to see how far I could take my family. I maxed the blood legacy line and always married into inheritable traits (focusing on the 3 types genius + herculean + beautiful) and always landed family members (married a lot inside the family too).

I gave up by 1400, cause I was bored to death and there was nothing left to do. By then I had around 8000 living members in dynasty (almost 200 houses). Around 7200 them were genius + herculean + beautiful. In fact, most characters in the world, even not from my dynasty, were genius + herculean + beautiful, because by than mostly every family had married with some of my kin at one point

I'm just way to focused on political stability and map painting to ever get anywhere near that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Beerdeer posted:

Sure you can be the Emperor of Jerusalem and master of the Arabian Peninsula, but when the Byzantines want your land you’re hosed. *sigh*

You should be more than capable of fending off the Emperor of you hold that much territory, I found it to be pretty manageable as the King of Sicily just twenty years into the game.

My guess is you're relying on mashing armies of levies together, rather than employing MaA correctly.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

You should be more than capable of fending off the Emperor of you hold that much territory, I found it to be pretty manageable as the King of Sicily just twenty years into the game.

My guess is you're relying on mashing armies of levies together, rather than employing MaA correctly.

Thanks to you and Cheshire’s advice I’ll be trying this tonight.

It really wasn’t much of a struggle to get the Kingdom of Ireland title back either, my stupid cousin got hit left right and centre before I grabbed it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm just way to focused on political stability and map painting to ever get anywhere near that.

Well, in that game I painted 100% of Europe, all Africa, the Middle East and than some (most of Persia, some lands in India). Could have done more but Im slow. Also was very stable, all the time: didint fought a single civil war the whole game (amazing stats and having most of your vassals be your dynasty helps with that)

Eugenics in CK3 right now is so easy you can do it while doing all the other things you need marriages for

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I just got this the other day, and sorry if it's been asked before, but:

I started as a heathen swede (Bjorn I think) and can apparently only declare war for counties because I'm not famous enough? What gives? Also, are levies fixed somehow, I seem to get the same amount of soldiers no matter what my vassals loyalty levels are. Oh, and I can't seem to turn on raiding, no matter if my soldiers are located inside or outside my realm :confused:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Beerdeer posted:

The trick with the byzantines is to find a way to get a Catholic on the throne and then they'll generally explode for a while.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tias posted:

I started as a heathen swede (Bjorn I think) and can apparently only declare war for counties because I'm not famous enough? What gives? Also, are levies fixed somehow, I seem to get the same amount of soldiers no matter what my vassals loyalty levels are. Oh, and I can't seem to turn on raiding, no matter if my soldiers are located inside or outside my realm :confused:

Click on your rally point and there should be a button that says "raise all as raiders". Your army will now be a raiding army so go sail somewhere with a smaller garrison than your army and steal their gold.

You will get an equal amount of prestige to your stolen gold when you sail back home which will boost your fame. Buy more soldiers with the stolen gold so you can do bigger raids.

Repeat until you are super famous and then gather all the Vikings to conquer Egypt or some poo poo.

Basically as a Viking you just want to raid and raid and raid until you can get enough fame and gold to conquer a nice Mediterranean Kingdom.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tias posted:

So all CBs have either Prestige or Piety costs, and using ones that would transfer more land have Fame (cumulative prestige basically) requirements. If you aren't famous enough, become more famous. Go raiding and/or fight battles.

And as a Tribal your vassals contributions to you (which is where you'll draw most of your levies in a larger realm) are based on your level of Fame. So again, become more famous and you'll be able to pick bigger fights.

Raiding I think must be enabled when you raise them, with the Raise As Raiders button. No toggling once they're on the map. And you can't do it while at war.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
You should be able to toggle raiding if your army is in your lands and not moving. It won't work if you're feudal/reformed religion, but that seems unlikely given you've just started.

The other major reason is if you're already at war. Finish up your war and the button works again.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

There is a button in the bottom right of the army screen to toggle between raid and non raid, it looks like a little torch. Many types of special event troops aren't allowed to raid though, so if you have any in your army that would prevent it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
gotcha, thanks!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

a pipe smoking dog posted:

The trick with the byzantines is to find a way to get a Catholic on the throne and then they'll generally explode for a while.

One game some random Coptic Nubian teenaged girl somehow became Empress. Shame she didn't want to be my friend and marry my son because it was hilarious and I would've gladly sacrificed thousands of my peasants helping her maintain her throne.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Whorelord posted:

One game some random Coptic Nubian teenaged girl somehow became Empress. Shame she didn't want to be my friend and marry my son because it was hilarious and I would've gladly sacrificed thousands of my peasants helping her maintain her throne.

This right here is why I play this dumb game.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was doing the Rollo de Normandie varangian adventure, I had Neustria all taken over and settled and some of my heirs died, it's not important how stop asking, and I was down to one heir who had inherited and pressed a claim on the Orkney islands dutchy from my stupid wife. So, when I died and he inherited, his primary was the tribal dutchy and when he took over Normandy, everything changed to tribal and I couldn't build any feudal buildings, even when I changed my primary title. It was late at night and it pissed me off so I just quit without investigating much but: How do I avoid this in the future?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Varangian Adventure for Sicily! :v:

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Since your heir was landed, tribal, and of the same rank as you, when he inherits he keeps the tribal government. You can avoid this by being higher rank, or by not landing your heirs. You can fix it like PittTheElder says by Varangian Adventuring somewhere with feudal buildings.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would never land my ingrateful heirs who only do things like get bad traits and get caught loving their mothers, it was my wife that landed him.

Are there other dutchies besides Neustria that offer unique decisions or options for Varangian adventures

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Whorelord posted:

TBH I'd read this YA fantasy novel

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
drat, going feudal from tribal is brutal

I had a big custom empire, created from Denmark, and it was around 1010. I got an army of 25K (4200 MaA, all viking heavy infantry), 25G income, Im rich as gently caress (around 6000 gold in bank), 10000 prestige, 100 relations with all my vassals at absolute tribal authority. I control most of Scandinavia, all England, all East France, Pomerania, Novrogod, Frisia, and a buch of more land scattered around. All was going pretty well

I organized the religion (pretty much the same as original Ásatrú but full equalitarian and with a temporal head of faith so I could have the title). All my vassals converted, all is still fine

So I click the button to go feudal, and oh my. I expected to have some rough first years but not that much. My troops dropped from 25K to around 10K. Is fine, I still have those unbeatable viking MaA, I was barely using levies anyway. But my income dropped from 25g monthly to -2g monthly. And now I cant raid. And now my MaA cost around 50-60g a month when raised. So each war makes me more poor and I have no income

So I built some tax buildings, Ive raised tax for all my big vassals, I raised crow authority to limited. After all that, I managed to have a 3g income. Still bad, but at least I can survive

But than my ruler died and his daugther inherited and now Im down to -20g income (unraised). Also in the meantime Ive already blew most of the money I had ( mostly in defensive wars) , so Im down to around 300G

So now Im going bakrupt fast, and I cant spend more in buildings. I dont know what to do. Why is my income so low? How can I get out of this role?

edit: I guess I could fire my MaA to stop the cash bleed but than Ill be mostly defenseless. And is gonna be a while before I have cash to hire them again

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 9, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can someone give me a good breakdown of when and who to grant titles to under partition? I've watched a bunch of videos and some say, never land dynasty, some say always land dynasty, they differ on when so

Let's say you are a duke, you have 3 sons and five county titles. None of them comprise an unformed dutchy title. You're getting on towards death, what do you do?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

Can someone give me a good breakdown of when and who to grant titles to under partition? I've watched a bunch of videos and some say, never land dynasty, some say always land dynasty, they differ on when so

Let's say you are a duke, you have 3 sons and five county titles. None of them comprise an unformed dutchy title. You're getting on towards death, what do you do?

conquer 3 duchies and become king

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Just do nothing. You can revoke their titles upon succession if you need those counties, otherwise just let them be. Consider granting them independence (or transferring them to your liege) to farm up Renown.

Elias_Maluco posted:

But than my ruler died and his daugther inherited and now Im down to -20g income (unraised). Also in the meantime Ive already blew most of the money I had ( mostly in defensive wars) , so Im down to around 300G

So now Im going bakrupt fast, and I cant spend more in buildings. I dont know what to do. Why is my income so low? How can I get out of this role?

edit: I guess I could fire my MaA to stop the cash bleed but than Ill be mostly defenseless. And is gonna be a while before I have cash to hire them again

The transition is generally very rough. The reason you have no money in a nutshell is that your vassals don't have any income either so they pay next to nothing in taxes. Getting your own income buildings up, especially Fields everywhere is key.

Immediately put your Marshal on the Train Commanders focus for the MaA discount, and hire the highest mil-stat guy you can find. Take the Wealth focus line which gives you +10% income. Get the perk discount on MaA up to 50% at 100 Dread. The Avaricious perk at the end of the line also has a big bonus I think. Ransoming prisoners is also very lucrative.

In the short term you should probably fire some of your Varangian Veterans, and look to replace them with regular Armored Foot or Huskarls.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 10, 2021

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I will never replace My Veterans :usa:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

In the short term you should probably fire some of your Varangian Veterans, and look to replace them with regular Armored Foot or Huskarls.

Is that just because it's cheaper? I'm running just all Vets in my Viking gently caress off to Sicily game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea purely because it's cheaper. VV are great.

Do you keep the Innovation that allows you to hire them when you go native in Sicily?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

zoux posted:

Are there other dutchies besides Neustria that offer unique decisions or options for Varangian adventures

Kiev, Mann

PittTheElder posted:

Do you keep the Innovation that allows you to hire them when you go native in Sicily?

Only if you form a new culture via decision that copies the innovations from the old one (like Norman & English). If you do it right, you can form English culture with access to the Norse MaA, as well as Gendarmes.

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 10, 2021

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

PittTheElder posted:

. Ransoming prisoners is also very lucrative.
This is very true, especially if you've used the Norse specific dynasty legacy. One thing that I found helped a lot was actually enforcing my laws for fornication and poo poo. You'll probably have a prompt in that list at the top telling you you can imprison criminals; do so if they are unlikely to rebel and immediately ransom them for like 150G/prestige if they're a duke. Minimal approval loss, too. If they can't afford the whole ransom let them chill in house arrest for a while and see if they can rebuild their treasury.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

Just do nothing. You can revoke their titles upon succession if you need those counties, otherwise just let them be. Consider granting them independence (or transferring them to your liege) to farm up Renown.

The transition is generally very rough. The reason you have no money in a nutshell is that your vassals don't have any income either so they pay next to nothing in taxes. Getting your own income buildings up, especially Fields everywhere is key.

Immediately put your Marshal on the Train Commanders focus for the MaA discount, and hire the highest mil-stat guy you can find. Take the Wealth focus line which gives you +10% income. Get the perk discount on MaA up to 50% at 100 Dread. The Avaricious perk at the end of the line also has a big bonus I think. Ransoming prisoners is also very lucrative.

Thanks for the advice

My marshal is busy raising control in the Seville, which I conquered to be in my desmene, since they are some rich provinces, and that is taking quite a while. And I working up the Avaricious tree. And yeah, Ive been ransoning prisioners, but I dont have many, since Ive been avoiding wars now. I did got a bunch of money from my catholic East France vassals, who keep joinning catholic populist rebelions.

I did managed to get my income back to +1 g so now at least Im not going bankrupt

I dont want to fire my MaA so what Ive been doing is not use them for now. The few wars Ive fought I used 100% levies (except when I got attacked by that northern army, than I had to raise my MaA, but I managed to raise them, fight the battle and dismiss than in around than 2 months)

Albino Squirrel posted:

This is very true, especially if you've used the Norse specific dynasty legacy. One thing that I found helped a lot was actually enforcing my laws for fornication and poo poo. You'll probably have a prompt in that list at the top telling you you can imprison criminals; do so if they are unlikely to rebel and immediately ransom them for like 150G/prestige if they're a duke. Minimal approval loss, too. If they can't afford the whole ransom let them chill in house arrest for a while and see if they can rebuild their treasury.

Yeah I always do that in all my games. Someone is loving around? Not that I personaly care, but Ill arrest than, if I can, and ransom right after

edit: thinking of it, that becomes a lot harder now since in my reformed religion almost everything is accepted

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Consecrated the Karling bloodline and got a cool nickname, but lost it for the generic scholar when I founded a university after that. <_<

Very annoying, I feel like the nicknames should be tiered and a lower level one shouldn't replace a higher level one.