Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

uh if you know anything about motorcycles you know there are only two kinds: harley davidsons and honda dirt bikes

Don't forget the other kind, crotch rockets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

Don't forget the other kind, crotch rockets!

Ahem I think you mean Ninjas

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Reminds me of Sunny where Mac steals a Busa to get to a Thundergun screening quicker, drops it, and calls it a poo poo bike because he can’t ride for poo poo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ahem I think you mean Ninjas

Crotch Rocket is the make.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I know the answer to this complaint is obvious -- namely, don't read reddit -- but it still after years surprises me the depth of misinformation and intensity of dunning-krugering going on there. I'm referring to the motorcycle reddits of course. Maybe I'm experiencing confirmation bias and I'm just seeing the obnoxious posts and comments. But it feels to me like the majority of questions asked make huge false assumptions, and misrepresent situations, and the majority of responses recommend completely unrealistic actions.

Currently there's a question about a fuse blowing on an "82 CB750" which includes a video of a subframe which is clearly not remotely close to being an 82 CB750, and shows entirely homemade electrics and electronics. Nothing in the video frame is Honda. Also it is unclear whether it shows a fuse blowing to me. None of this is explained in the post.

It's always poo poo like "how do I replace this jet that's stuck in the carb with a bigger jet" and only after multiple people asking follow up questions does it come out that there's a fuel leak from the gas tank or it's hard to start because the battery is half dead so spark is intermittent and none of it has anything to do with the carburetor.

Or, bike isn't running quite right, and it's an 85 Magna, and someone recommends completely disassembling the carbs, removing them from the racks, replacing the air box with pod filters, all on some of the most difficult carbs to work on ever made on a production bike.

I routinely see posts that I have the knowledge to respond to but it's instantly clear that it would take me pages and pages of typing to explain how completely wrong everything already posted was. I feel like a lazy dick just ignoring requests for help, but goddamn.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's always poo poo like "how do I replace this jet that's stuck in the carb with a bigger jet" and only after multiple people asking follow up questions does it come out that there's a fuel leak from the gas tank or it's hard to start because the battery is half dead so spark is intermittent and none of it has anything to do with the carburetor.

This is also called the XY Problem. You have problem X, and you think the solution is Y. However, Y doesn't seem to be working, so instead of asking for help with X, you ask for help with Y. :hellyeah:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My wife mods a few subreddits, and it seems like that across the board. The majority of her interactions with users are them getting upset because they're told they have to follow rules or deleting dick pics.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
You know how some people post online, “hey my cat has these symptoms, what should I do?” And the correct response is always “you should take him to a vet?”

Same principle with those folk.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
Guys I know we all sort of agreed that me reposting all of crazy Florida Man's life meltdowns was going too far. I just thought I'd post a happy update that he's decided to run for mayor of Cape Canaveral. Make sure you get out and vote!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, I see he's back in a manic phase.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:cripes:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Today I hit a seagull with my face at 80km/h.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Please tell us you have a helmet camera

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How is your modeling career these days?

Tell us, here in roller coaster asylum

I hope you’re ok, jokes aside

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

FBS posted:

Please tell us you have a helmet camera

No :( Probably wouldn't have been a great shot anyway, tried to simultaneously dodge it, and headbutt it out of the way.

I am fine. Hope the guy behind me has a webcam and uploads it to youtube.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The Iannone Method

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
If you can't do it on the track, you can always try out for the Blue Jays!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

LodeRunner posted:

Guys I know we all sort of agreed that me reposting all of crazy Florida Man's life meltdowns was going too far. I just thought I'd post a happy update that he's decided to run for mayor of Cape Canaveral. Make sure you get out and vote!

Oh god.

Seperate topic:

Energica Eva Ribelle 21.5kwh: I didn't like the ergos for my neck/head, too much staring up to see ahead. How much better ergo-wise is the SS9?

I'm pretty much sold on getting the LiveWire, but I'd love to hear the thoughts on the topic from our electric motorcycle man on these here forums!

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

Oh god.

Seperate topic:

Energica Eva Ribelle 21.5kwh: I didn't like the ergos for my neck/head, too much staring up to see ahead. How much better ergo-wise is the SS9?

I'm pretty much sold on getting the LiveWire, but I'd love to hear the thoughts on the topic from our electric motorcycle man on these here forums!

The SS9 is noticeably more comfortable. Lower pegs, higher bars, plushier seat. There's really no "staring up". I do know of one owner who just added risers to his SS9+ bars. I don't really feel the need for that; I feel the bike is more or less ideal for me at 6'2".

I really dig the new pricing on LiveWires, and it is a well-made bike. My two main issues with it, as always, are the anemic on-board charger that gives the same power from a wall socket than it does from a level 2 station, and the oddly high peg position. The upper half of your body is upright and relaxed, but the lower half is sport bike ergos. I could not, for the life of me, find a comfortable position for my legs.

Another interesting thing is that the bikes more or less weigh the same, now. Energica shaved off a ton of weight with the motor/inverter change. The LiveWire clocks in at 569 lbs, and the new Energicas are listed at just 4 lbs more at 573.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Good to know, I hope to test an EsseEsse later in September once they have a demo machine available.

Re LiveWire comfort: I found my leg position to be fine, but neck hurt a little (but not nearly as much as the Ribelle which was immediate agony). I spoke to the Harley Dealer, getting risers for it or getting the handlebars changed to more upright ones shouldn't be an issue...

The wallcharger speed of Level 2 on the LW is not something I am concerned about!

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Then hopefully it's the right choice for you! I was at IMS Sonoma a couple weeks back and they had 15 LiveWires and like 30 Zeroes. Half of the demo rides were electric. I was thoroughly entertained, and the LW guys let me use their charging stations after hours.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
BBV: Friend had a Honda Metropolitan she let sit for years, and having had my bike stolen recently, I finally got it together and went to pick it up, handing her a pittance because she'd managed to even lose the title. I figure, hey, maybe I fix it up and hand it back to her for a bit more, worst case scenario I tear it down and I have some parts to use for other dumb projects. (rubber CVT clutch on a lathe? lol)

As soon as I get home, I lock it to the apartment building with a nice beefy chain and a kryptonite, and go to buy ice cream for a friend who helped me transport and unload. Literally 20 minutes later. LITERALLY 20 MINUTES LATER. I realize I've lost the only set of keys to the ignition AND the kryptonite. The kryptonite is probably worth about as much as the drat scooter.

My brain is such a consolation prize. I've got spare keys of everything, EVERYTHING I own, and I would have cut spares of this thing too. But nope. Lost em in the 1 day I had no spares to fall back on. FML.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

LodeRunner posted:

Then hopefully it's the right choice for you! I was at IMS Sonoma a couple weeks back and they had 15 LiveWires and like 30 Zeroes. Half of the demo rides were electric. I was thoroughly entertained, and the LW guys let me use their charging stations after hours.

Did you get to ride any cool bikes? I went on Sunday but apparently showed up too late as basically everything was booked up for the day :smith:

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

Did you get to ride any cool bikes? I went on Sunday but apparently showed up too late as basically everything was booked up for the day :smith:

Actually I was helping man the Energica booth. If you look very closely at this photo published by motorcycle.com you can see my arm if you know where to look. Not really meaning to brag but I'm kind of a Big Deal now.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
A hundred years ago Swedish farmers were poor and tractors were rare and expensive. Someone figured out that you could convert certain cars into a somewhat useful farming implements and rules were written to formalise this practice. Time passed and the laws changed a bit but even though the farm cars haven't been used in farming since the 1950's they are more popular than ever since it's now super easy to convert a car into a farming implement by messing with the ECU.

According to the Swedish DOT this is a tractor. It is driven (poorly) by a 16 year-old male with large speakers and a poor taste in music who's not allowed to drive a car until he turns 18 but he can drive a tractor capable of a maximum speed of 30 km/h. Behind the dumb thing is usually a long line of frustrated drivers who also have to go 30 km/h because there's a tractor in the way, except they can't see it because there's a couple of semi trucks moving very slowly blocking the view of the tractor. I hate the incredible stupidity that allows these things to exist. /rant

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lmao. there is no way that driving a slammed station wagon electronically limited to 30 km/h is cooler than just not driving at all.

if you're 16 and can't get a car license, just get a moped, jesus

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Oh, if you're 16 you can even get a moped shaped like a car that goes 45 km/h just like a real class 1 moped should. They're small, light and fuel efficient.

But a slammed station wagon 30 km/h tractor is safer in a collision obviously. I just read that they need to weigh at least 2 tonnes too, so they usually have a few hundred kg's of concrete in them, just to be extra safe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Invalido posted:

A hundred years ago Swedish farmers were poor and tractors were rare and expensive. Someone figured out that you could convert certain cars into a somewhat useful farming implements and rules were written to formalise this practice. Time passed and the laws changed a bit but even though the farm cars haven't been used in farming since the 1950's they are more popular than ever since it's now super easy to convert a car into a farming implement by messing with the ECU.

According to the Swedish DOT this is a tractor. It is driven (poorly) by a 16 year-old male with large speakers and a poor taste in music who's not allowed to drive a car until he turns 18 but he can drive a tractor capable of a maximum speed of 30 km/h. Behind the dumb thing is usually a long line of frustrated drivers who also have to go 30 km/h because there's a tractor in the way, except they can't see it because there's a couple of semi trucks moving very slowly blocking the view of the tractor. I hate the incredible stupidity that allows these things to exist. /rant

There is no :psyboom: big enough, what in the actual gently caress

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

30 km/h is 18mph. I'd ride a pushbike before that , anything below 30mph is painful.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Not sure which is stupider, Sweden's COVID response or their tractor cars.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Cosplaying a "cool adult" at 18 mph

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Never getting out of first gear just like a big boy!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Pretty sure I never left 2nd or 3rd for the first few days of owning my 125...

But no, tractor car is way stupider.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The struggle is real for everyone. My friend is trying to sell one of his two RV125’s

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gorson posted:

30 km/h is 18mph. I'd ride a pushbike before that , anything below 30mph is painful.
Holy christ I didn't catch that it was km. A literal moped is literally faster. Get a Tomos, loser.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Counterpoint: it's kinda hard to hotbox a moped in the highschool parking lot.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Countering my own counterpoint:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Where is my GOD DAMNED TIRE, Amazon??????

It has been stuck in Grand Rapids for six days without moving and it's the last part I need to finish putting the bike back together. ughghghghghghgh

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Part of my usual commute to work is an elevated 2-lane on-ramp to the city's main freeway. (Going down in elevation because the freeway runs through an ancient river valley.) This morning I found out that some jackwagon approved a chipseal repair to the cracked pavement down the lane divider in the middle of the road. There's a "LOOSE CHIPS" sign, then nothing for a bit, then the chipseal is the exact same color as the road surface. I didn't know it was there until my bike got squirrelly when I changed lanes, and I was looking for the chipseal.

Loose chips in the middle of the road, on a curving, downhill, elevated on-ramp, where people are accelerating when there's little traffic, has got to be a fatal highside risk and I'm actually kind of incensed about it. Someone could legit get killed by this and I'm gonna phone the city's 311 line later this morning.

Phy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Had a very iffy loose front tire experience back in May going from the Gardiner off ramp to the DVP. I'll occasionally have the rear get loose on some tight turns but never the front before.