Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HelloSailorSign posted:

I'm trying to get the hang of this whole prospecting pick thing in Vintage Story, and it seems in my area (granite) there's appallingly low amounts of tin ore so uh... about that T3 metal thing.

I panned enough bony soil to get silver/gold to make black bronze, but that pick's about 1/3 to done after mining loads of quartz hoping for a gold/silver node.

It took me FOREVER to figure out how to effectively use the prospecting pick, and finding tin can be a real pain. Some things to realize:

In density search mode, it's going to give you the same results for everything in the same "chunk" (map square you are standing on). Only the first block you destroy matters, the other two are just there to make prospecting a non-trivial task.

What you want to do is find any chunk with any appreciable amount of what you're looking for, and then use that as a starting point to find the "local peak" for that ore. Meaning that there will be a chunk with the highest percentage of ore somewhere, and then a lot of chunks with less surrounding it, like a heat map almost. So if you're seeing, say, 0.5%, move a few chunks in one direction, pro-pick again, and see if that percentage goes up or down. If it went down, try the other direction. If it went up, keep going in that direction until it peaks and starts to go down again. Then find the peak on the other axis. In this way, you can go from that crappy 0.5% which may just be the very edge of the ore area to a more respectable percentage. Then start digging shafts down and use the node search mode (if you have that enabled) to find what you're looking for.

There's also a good mod here that will keep track of your prospecting info as on overlay on your map: https://mods.vintagestory.at/vsprospectorinfo, which is where I first saw the description of finding a "local peak." I like it because it's not really cheating, it doesn't tell you anything you didn't actually prospect, but it can keep track of where you've seen ore percentages without having to drop markers all over your map and manually fill them in. It can also be helpful to see when you've moved to a different chunk.

Also, don't be afraid to prospect underwater. You can't drown, and the local peak can be at the bottom of an ocean. Well, at least you couldn't drown in the previous version, I haven't tried the newest release yet.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh that looks fantastic. I should probably figure out how to do colors on the map too, I just got loads of black markers of things. :v:

Thank you!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

In the field between the name of the marker and choosing the icon you can just type in the name of a color. Most colors you can think of will work, and I find "lime" and "magenta" to be extra visible for bases and the like.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

oh poo poo you just type the name, I thought it was an obscure color number thing and just skipped it.

goddamn I can be daft sometimes.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Green Hell is super fun…and super unforgiving, but oddly I’m not minding. I do like that you can tailor things, like I don’t mind bugs and snakes, but not having to start with tribes and predators too is….better. It’s still just as hard and deadly. For some reason I’m missing water sources that don’t involve puking…but eh trial and error is part of the fun. I really think most survival games need to allow for that type of customization, even if it’s basically just a builder mode to use as a tutorial (and it seems to be becoming more of a standard feature I was).

Rust….they’re not kidding about getting killed all the time. The crafting is fun, but I feel like this is one where co-op is best. On the bright side using Argentinian Xbox sellers I only paid like $20 for both.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Green Hell is super fun…and super unforgiving, but oddly I’m not minding. I do like that you can tailor things, like I don’t mind bugs and snakes, but not having to start with tribes and predators too is….better. It’s still just as hard and deadly. For some reason I’m missing water sources that don’t involve puking…but eh trial and error is part of the fun. I really think most survival games need to allow for that type of customization, even if it’s basically just a builder mode to use as a tutorial (and it seems to be becoming more of a standard feature I was).

Rust….they’re not kidding about getting killed all the time. The crafting is fun, but I feel like this is one where co-op is best. On the bright side using Argentinian Xbox sellers I only paid like $20 for both.

Rain water is clean water, and so is boiled water. For either, your going to need coconuts.

Finding a coconut tree is generally what makes or breaks a run.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bug Squash posted:

Rain water is clean water, and so is boiled water. For either, your going to need coconuts.

Finding a coconut tree is generally what makes or breaks a run.

Yeah, I finally found some this run, still killed myself with food poisoning, but I feel like with each death I learn something. Honestly, it's for the best they have limited saves, as I'd save scum this like crazy. Also this is on a custom with low nutrients and easy combat and no predator's or tribes. lol

Still it's a lot of fun and I dunno, but I like it minus a few UI things, but even that's not too bad.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There's a few other things you can use as water bowls, like the rare metal pot or a tortoise shell, but even in a pinch you can just carry around some parasite-killing mushrooms, drink dirty water, then scarf the mushrooms. You just have to get familiar with things first.
I wish mushroom effects were randomized each run, because then you'd have to actually experiment with tasting and brewing them, and do so only when your health could afford to dabble in them. As it is, you just memorize the good and bad ones between runs, or even look them up.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah, I finally found some this run, still killed myself with food poisoning, but I feel like with each death I learn something. Honestly, it's for the best they have limited saves, as I'd save scum this like crazy. Also this is on a custom with low nutrients and easy combat and no predator's or tribes. lol

Still it's a lot of fun and I dunno, but I like it minus a few UI things, but even that's not too bad.

Absolutely loved Green Hell and early days of figuring out all the survival mechanics. Unfortunately, I found it does reach a sort of peak where you get such a routine down on what you need to survive that it becomes less enjoyable over time because of the limited crafting (though I like that the crafting is a bit more "realistic")

Though I caveat this saying I have around 70 hours of gametime with it, so its by no means limited and definitely worth just that alone. The only thing with GH I'm worried about is that from other early access games I've bought into, though I've stopped playing, I will likely pick up when there's new content in updates. Despite all of the new tribes and stuff in GH (I stopped playing maybe back in March?) just found replayability to not be as enticing.

Whereas for TLD, I'm definitely going to jump in on the next episode, Valheim I'm probably also going to jump in when Hearth & Homer update comes out, and finally I can see myself getting back into Medieval Dynasty too when it comes out with its major release in the fall (I think).

GH though, despite the recent updates to the story and such, I just don't have much of the same impetus to rejoin it anytime soon.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If you were interested in Medieval Dynasty, it's hitting 1.0 next month (9/23) and the price is going to go up a couple bucks so maybe grab it now before then. Game's great, I've been waiting to check it out since they've been adding a bunch to it in EA but now I might as well just wait.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

If you were interested in Medieval Dynasty, it's hitting 1.0 next month (9/23) and the price is going to go up a couple bucks so maybe grab it now before then. Game's great, I've been waiting to check it out since they've been adding a bunch to it in EA but now I might as well just wait.

I played some of it VERY early on, I may have to loop back to it after the full release.

Speaking of those types of games, Farmer's Life came out in Early Access a few days ago and it seems like My Summer Car mixed with Farmer's Dynasty. I watched someone stream it and it has some interesting mechanics, but boy the opening tutorial is bleak. Your guy sells off all his tools and animals because of his overwhelming alcoholism and depression.

Has farming, hunting, fishing, fighting and doing quests for townspeople, all that good stuff, although I don't know how much is implemented yet. Reviews are mixed right now since it is apparently very buggy, sometimes eating save files, and people are saying that time is running way too fast, but it seems like one to keep an eye on for the future at least.

Here is a guy named Peanut who does a lot of these types of games playing the tutorial and first couple days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcXwn6xeBxc

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 10, 2021

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I really wish stranded deep wasn't so.... bad. I keep wanting to play it, by which I mean play a better version of it that isnt so damned janky and has more to do.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Appreciate all the Green Hell water suggestions. I agree it’s a far smaller game in a sense, but I have to admit I kind of like that. A lot of survival games, can just be really really overwhelming. Though for me the worst is not realizing you can collect things, ala Conan, at first. I feel like survival games need detailed printed manuals, and with pdf add ones and errata. I know the help is often there as in text in the game, but it’s not really an optimal system to be honest.

“GlyphGryph” posted:

I really wish stranded deep wasn’t so.... bad. I keep wanting to play it, by which I mean play a better version of it that isnt so damned janky and has more to do.

That console port is even more janky if you can believe it. That’s a game I wanted to enjoy, but boy the junk.

Also I’m posting this in the Xbox thread too, but I’m thinking of getting a private server for Conan Exiles since it’s on gamepass and playing with goons is always the way to go.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
As someone who only played about an hour but might go back to Conan (probably singleplayer) at some point, what collectible isn't immediately apparent?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

As someone who only played about an hour but might go back to Conan (probably singleplayer) at some point, what collectible isn't immediately apparent?

When you first start up off the crucifix, I had no clue that pressing the X button would harvest fibers, stones, and branches, as there was no box or pop up saying you could do it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

explosivo posted:

I've been pretty curious about this game! One thing I've been wondering about though is whether it's purely a 'colony survival' kind of game (like I dunno, Rimworld or something), or is it also a soloable survival/combat game? So like, could I make a village and manor with some settlers etc, then just leave on periodic expeditions to hunt down the Njerpez equivalents? Or is it more just focused on the economy side of things?

Also, if you can fight and die, what happens when you die? That's it, like in URW, or can you respawn or take over as another villager, like in Kenshi or something?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For those interested in Conan Exiles on the Xbox or Xcloud.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3976127

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any word on Zomboid Multiplayer?

Major Isoor posted:

I've been pretty curious about this game! One thing I've been wondering about though is whether it's purely a 'colony survival' kind of game (like I dunno, Rimworld or something), or is it also a soloable survival/combat game? So like, could I make a village and manor with some settlers etc, then just leave on periodic expeditions to hunt down the Njerpez equivalents? Or is it more just focused on the economy side of things?

Also, if you can fight and die, what happens when you die? That's it, like in URW, or can you respawn or take over as another villager, like in Kenshi or something?

It's mostly a colony survival game, a lot of what you are doing is making sure there's enough stock of stuff for the people in your colony to survive or craft goods or whatever you have them doing instead of individual survival. Once you get a good foothold though you'll have farmers and woodcutters doing the heavy lifting and you can go out and explore or hunt or canvassing for new villagers. You do still need food and water like every one of these games but it's not the main draw of it for me at least. And I forget what happens when you die, I know you can have kids but don't remember if there's a lineage thing or if you just respawn naked at home.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

explosivo posted:

Any word on Zomboid Multiplayer?

"Please come back.... later"

They were giving weekly updates on the progress being made on multiplayer which apparently was giving some people way too much hype thinking it was in the pipe, when in reality they're probably at least 3 months (lmao Indie Stone, probably 6+) out from MP stable.

Playing Vintage Story, it was so immensely satisfying to find a massive silver vein. A decent mountain was sticking out of the ground and I saw exposed quartz. I decided to mountain goat hop the perimeter and saw one exposed native silver ore. Now I've got ~2400 units of silver. All I need to do is find a gold vein and I am set on black bronze, because I've only managed to find ~60 units of tin (not enough to make an anvil, but enough to have sufficient T3 tools). I've marked a number of copper veins I've not gone after, but unfortunately the highest prospecting pick reading of cassiterite has been ~1.0%.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Wasn't Zomboid multiplayer a thing years ago? What happened in the meantime?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Drone posted:

Wasn't Zomboid multiplayer a thing years ago? What happened in the meantime?

It (apparently) kinda was, but with larger number of players/zombie hordes it would get laggy +/- buggy.

They then opted to shift to Build 41, which apparently was a major overhaul of graphical and other systems which fixed some issues, but it made some of the previous issues more apparent, so they decided to release Build 41 to the public since they expected MP to take forever but wanted to demonstrate the work they're doing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Zomboid MP exists in the IWBUMS (I will back up my save, aka experimental) branch.

https://youtu.be/Ma9XZIZieFo

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I really wish wish I could just set the controls for every building game ever to "use the Valheim Snap Points Made Easy mod controls" as the bare minimum. That really seems like it should be baseline for a games in terms of usability and it's honestly incredibly how many games with building fall so incredibly short of it and instead rely on you finding just the right angle and looking at just the right pixel (and sometimes placing something else in just the right place before later destroying it because otherwise the right pixel doesn't exist) instead of... not doing that.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 15, 2021

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I really wish wish I could just set the controls for every building game ever to "use the Valheim Snap Points Made Easy mod controls" as the bare minimum. That really seems like it should be baseline for a games in terms of usability and it's honestly incredibly how many games with building fall so incredibly short of it and instead rely on you finding just the right angle and looking at just the right pixel (and sometimes placing something else in just the right place before later destroying it because otherwise the right pixel doesn't exist) instead of... not doing that.

Oh yeah, and mods aren't even always great about it...I'm playing Space Engineers and was gonna use a pipes and wires mod for aesthetics, and god drat the hitboxes on those things are awful, making them nearly impossible to remove in some cases. Ended up having to dig up an area and kinda fix it back with voxel hands to finish getting rid of them. Just went back to using the DLC neon colorable tubes in black for "power cables" instead. Or in the game itself, trying to place blocks/catwalks off the edge of the one you're standing on, say if you're playing with no jetpacks on planets or the planet has too high gravity for jetpacks to work. Super super awesome having to spend two hours having to make ridiculous temporary scaffolding that will let me place a solar tower on a large grid piston in juuuust the right position for me to attach the solar panel rotors....in a game mode where blocks grind down into scrap instead of their components, and 1.9 G means you jump like a toddler.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Kind of out of the purview of this thread, but for anyone who wished Empyrion was more crunchy like like Space Engineers or Stationeers- Starbase just entered early access and it's exactly that. It's an MMO with PvE and PvP zones though, and has no survival mechanics yet, but if you enjoy mining ore for 12 hours to build a ship that you design from individual components and run the wires and piping for, check it out.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

Vintage Story, it was so immensely satisfying to find a massive silver vein.

I've spent a decent amount of time hunting a gold vein to no luck. As it's winter, and with the recommendation of the prospecting mod, I've just been widening out the circle around my home and can do 4 or so new chunks prospected before it's time to come home.

I was working on the latest area to prospect when I happened upon a collapsed chest with some aged planks under it - no ruins within 20 tiles, just middle of a dirt patch buried 1-2 tiles underground. The chest contained two gold sheets and two lead sheets, as well as a temporal gear. Suddenly, I've got 400 units of gold and well that about solves that problem. After chiseling up the gold sheets I got black bronze and made an anvil/tools/ingots with loads to spare.

Now on to iron and making a windmill. I've got a local pine forest so I'm cruising there for resin, and I've got a small forest of pine, oak, and walnut saplings around my home. Local iron deposits are at most 1.9% and three vertical shafts have found nothing but a near 0 lava pit with flaming (?) drifters? I was glad to come through the roof so I can hold on to the ladder and stare anxiously at the scene.

The loads of granite stone have been turned in to building materials, and I may get a bloomery set up to make a bespoke home connected to the food/general supplies/cellar building, which is connected to the workshop soon-windmill building.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Project Zomboid was discussed upthread and it got me thinking. How does a developer like Indie Stone generate enough revenue to sustain development for so long? I haven't checked the date of the release of the first alpha, but it has to have been like 10 years ago. I'm not aware of any other projects that have launched since they started work on Zomboid and I think most people who are going to buy it before full release did so years ago. I imagine the glacial pace of development would turn people off of picking it up in EA, so how do they keep the lights on?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

They likely sold millions of copies already over the years. Yesterday alone they had 7500 concurrent players at the peak. It's a very small team so they can probably carry on for quite some time.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I still remember when two laptops were stolen and it set them back an entire update because they weren't bothering to externally backup (at least, not often enough for it to matter). I can't imagine their overhead is very big.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

dogstile posted:

I still remember when two laptops were stolen and it set them back an entire update because they weren't bothering to externally backup (at least, not often enough for it to matter). I can't imagine their overhead is very big.

Yeah they lost everything then. I was pretty annoyed with such a rookie mistake since even back then online versioning was free and it happened right after I bought the game.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Has anyone here managed to get any playtime with Icarus? That's coming out soon and I've been looking forward to it

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

If both laptops had the data then technically they did have an external backup, it was just stolen as well. Which is why most businesses have moved from basic external backup to offsite backups.

Its weird they didn't have a separate server for the code though, it just makes development so much more convenient. (even if that could have gotten stolen as well, assuming they werent using one of the laptops as a server)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

GlyphGryph posted:

If both laptops had the data then technically they did have an external backup, it was just stolen as well. Which is why most businesses have moved from basic external backup to offsite backups.

Its weird they didn't have a separate server for the code though, it just makes development so much more convenient. (even if that could have gotten stolen as well, assuming they werent using one of the laptops as a server)

I honestly just read it as "we're developing on two laptops" and that it wasn't meant as just a backup.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

There were two developers, those were their personal laptops. That's not a backup. Even if one of them was just intended for backups, it was still a very dumb way to keep backups. One of the first things you learn as a developer working anywhere is to use git or svn or some other versioning software and have it hosted online, you never just keep local backups. Even if they had no budget, you could get free private git repos even back then.

I really lost faith in them back then since it's such a basic thing they hosed up. They did eventually release a pretty fun albeit unfinished game but they're extremely slow to update it and I don't think I would recommend anyone get it until it's finished.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

a7m2 posted:

One of the first things you learn as a developer working anywhere is to use git or svn or some other versioning software and have it hosted online, you never just keep local backups. Even if they had no budget, you could get free private git repos even back then.

Yeah, I don't get that bit. It was before my time, but GitHub existed then (albeit in its infancy) and there had to have been other remote code backup and versioning solutions. If they weren't using remote or even dedicated local storage, how were they collaborating? Google docs? How did they roll back or merge branches?

They did get a lot of poo poo from the community about it, though, and I think one of the devs had a mini meltdown on social media in response. Glad it didn't kill the project.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
On the subject, I've been eyeing picking Zomboid up because it keeps showing up in my recs. Is it actually any good?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've picked it up and while i kinda like it I also had to spend like, a few hours watching youtube videos to work out how the game actually works.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I’ve found it scratches a gaming itch I get now and again. I’ve probably got a few hundred hours in it so far.

It’s much more a run and hide zombie game. I find default settings to be a bit ridiculous in terms of zombie numbers, but you can have a lot of leeway here. I also think they are focusing too much on how to limit the benefits of technology (electricity, gasoline) while not providing an avenue for low tech survival. To that end, it’s fairly modable so I’ve got a few to help bridge that gap.

B41 is fun, B40 is old, you’ll need to opt in to the IWBUMS B41 version.

If you like “number go up” loot games with a few jump scares, building a base to try and survive as long as possible, and occasionally burning half the town down when you forget the oven was on and then decide to take the remaining bourbon bottles and get poo poo faced before running at a horde to end your current play through, it may work.

You can make it more combat focused with settings.

Some folks have even made a mod that adds more radio functionality so you can listen to their voiced over radio stories (Survivor Radio). Loads of car mods to add new ones.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

dogstile posted:

I've picked it up and while i kinda like it I also had to spend like, a few hours watching youtube videos to work out how the game actually works.

I miss when people would actually try to figure stuff out themselves instead of needing to be spoon-fed by the algorithm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

packetmantis posted:

I miss when people would actually try to figure stuff out themselves instead of needing to be spoon-fed by the algorithm.
I'm now going to buy this game and watch YouTube videos about it just to spite you specifically.

(And also because this post makes it sound like it's gonna be Extremely My poo poo.)