Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

snorch posted:

All the business trombone jobs went to Japan a long time ago.

I’ll never forgive the Modal Nodes for going electric :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

snorch posted:

All the business trombone jobs went to Japan a long time ago.

Always preferred Akai myself, even if Yamaha is the professional choice

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

petit choux posted:

I'm looking at all these and wow. I wasn't going to buy any more poo poo and now I'm probably going to get this one. I had been looking at it before though. Looks like a great addition to the lofi playground. But that manual doesn't provide much info.

Lol yeah it's a bit like the Pocket Operator manuals that way.

I've been mostly going by YouTube videos.

Lol I was testing it with the POs yesterday, and was thinking that the arpeggiator seemed a little fast. Then I noticed in the manual some cryptic note that suggests the sync clock defaults to one tick every two beats? So I think it's running in double time lol.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Rutibex posted:

drat thats the kind of instrument you see on Star Trek. I want it I dont care what it sounds like.

Funny you mention it, I swear Akai lifted their EWI design straight from the Star Trek phaser rifles:

e: Riker with his trombone

snorch fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 6, 2021

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

snorch posted:

Funny you mention it, I swear Akai lifted their EWI design straight from the Star Trek phaser rifles:

That's gonna end real badly for the Kurt Cobain of the 24th century...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

snorch posted:

e: Riker with his trombone

thats obviously a Type-2 phaser not a phaser rifle

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol yeah it's a bit like the Pocket Operator manuals that way.

I've been mostly going by YouTube videos.

Lol I was testing it with the POs yesterday, and was thinking that the arpeggiator seemed a little fast. Then I noticed in the manual some cryptic note that suggests the sync clock defaults to one tick every two beats? So I think it's running in double time lol.

Here's something that took me a long time to discover. Hold down the osc button and turn the type knob for the list of adjustable parameters for whichever osc you have selected. Some of them have a large array to fiddle with.

Business Trombone
Jul 29, 2021

watho posted:

can we please change the thread subtitle to “there’s no such thing as a business trombone”

:sadwave:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQeezCdF4mk

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Oh, never mind, sorry everybody.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 7, 2021

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Business Sackbut still up for grabs.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The later, wind-focused Yamaha VLs actually have some very playable patches for anyone who needs a quick 'bone track. In that regard I would absolutely consider them "business trombone" material.

https://www.patchmanmusic.com/AudioDemos/turbovldemos/022BassTbn.mp3

If you ever wanted to hear more of the VL, there's loads of demos this guy did for his patch collection:
https://www.patchmanmusic.com/turbovl.html

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Working on a modular pleasure trombone concept... does anyone know of an internet-connected O+C type thing? I want to generate two control voltages, to feed a Noisering, from the Internet. I think I'm firmly in boutique/diy land but thats cool it'll be worth it.

Is this something I have to build myself?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

JamesKPolk posted:

Working on a modular pleasure trombone concept... does anyone know of an internet-connected O+C type thing? I want to generate two control voltages, to feed a Noisering, from the Internet. I think I'm firmly in boutique/diy land but thats cool it'll be worth it.

Is this something I have to build myself?

If you have an Ornament & Crime module already you could do this with the Hemispheres firmware using the Captain MIDI app: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki/Captain-MIDI

Hook o&c up to your computer via USB and send it MIDI data using whatever web info you want.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Anyone have any experience controlling a synth over midi via android (or even ios) OTG?

I bought a boss DR-5 to use as a sequencer and drum machine, which is cool in its own little way esp considering how cheap it is, but its just not really flexible or easy enough to do things on the fly so I'm considering rolling my own sequencer/phrase looper as an app. Worst comes to worst I can buy a windows tablet/lappy to do the job if I'm getting stuck for MIDI support but at least with an app I could use my phone for futzing about which is always charged and to hand.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Chenghiz posted:

If you have an Ornament & Crime module already you could do this with the Hemispheres firmware using the Captain MIDI app: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki/Captain-MIDI

Hook o&c up to your computer via USB and send it MIDI data using whatever web info you want.

Oh badass I have a Hemispheres O+C already loaded in the case I was gonna use! lmao idk how I forgot about ~usb~ but thank you.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

Oh badass I have a Hemispheres O+C already loaded in the case I was gonna use! lmao idk how I forgot about ~usb~ but thank you.

It's wierd they put the usb on the back facing sideways, at least on my uo_c it needs a couple centimeters empty to the right of it to access it.

field balm fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 7, 2021

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

field balm posted:

It's wierd they put the usb on the back facing sideways, at least on my uo_c it needs a couple centimeters empty to the right of it to access it.

Oh drat like from the Teensy? I was gonna do a couple dongles and get it over 3.5. but thats even cooler.

And yeah I guess my reaction is showing my time with/expectations of the project? When I built mine there wasn't a micro version and there was only 1 firmware other than the basic shift register it started as. From that perspective, it made a lot of sense to leave the usb in back - very easy build (it used to get recommended as a first/second smd project), and you basically only ever used it with the thing out of the case. I'm not even sure how to orient it without making things very deep. I'm actually not sure if mine is safe to run w/ usb hooked up and a modular power supply, I remember going back and forth on cutting that trace, and being very tempted to leave it because the idea of not needing modular power to update firmware appealed to me.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

Oh drat like from the Teensy? I was gonna do a couple dongles and get it over 3.5. but thats even cooler.

And yeah I guess my reaction is showing my time with/expectations of the project? When I built mine there wasn't a micro version and there was only 1 firmware other than the basic shift register it started as. From that perspective, it made a lot of sense to leave the usb in back - very easy build (it used to get recommended as a first/second smd project), and you basically only ever used it with the thing out of the case. I'm not even sure how to orient it without making things very deep. I'm actually not sure if mine is safe to run w/ usb hooked up and a modular power supply, I remember going back and forth on cutting that trace, and being very tempted to leave it because the idea of not needing modular power to update firmware appealed to me.

Yeah it's straight off the teensy, same connection for flashing the firmware. Honestly I bought mine prebuilt so couldn't say anything else helpful lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Should I get he lxr Erica drum machine

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

field balm posted:

Yeah it's straight off the teensy, same connection for flashing the firmware. Honestly I bought mine prebuilt so couldn't say anything else helpful lol

Word thats cool as hell. Thing continues to amaze me, like meta-modular almost.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

field balm posted:

Yeah til hemispheres I don’t think anyone thought of using the USB for anything other than flashing firmware lol

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

Should I get he lxr Erica drum machine

I’m getting it. Sounds cool, is a nice size and patch morphing seems great for performing and discovering new sounds.

You obviously need to work with the screen a lot but luckily there doesn’t seem to be any menus (all pages accessible from front panel buttons) and there aren’t many hidden or otherwise wild button combos.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Thinking about selling my techno system and getting the lxr + a syntrx lol

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
On a whim I threw Korg’s DS-10 software onto a homebrewed Nintendo 2DS I had kicking around and this is much better than I expected it to be. Having a tiny touch screen and stylus to work the sequencers and KAOSS pad is just so much fun.

I’m having such a hoot with this.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Rolo posted:

On a whim I threw Korg’s DS-10 software onto a homebrewed Nintendo 2DS I had kicking around and this is much better than I expected it to be. Having a tiny touch screen and stylus to work the sequencers and KAOSS pad is just so much fun.

Yeah it's great, that software was my first intro to actual synth programming, before that I just hosed about with presets on fruity loops. I still keep a ds emulator on my phone for it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Anyone have any experience controlling a synth over midi via android (or even ios) OTG?

I bought a boss DR-5 to use as a sequencer and drum machine, which is cool in its own little way esp considering how cheap it is, but its just not really flexible or easy enough to do things on the fly so I'm considering rolling my own sequencer/phrase looper as an app. Worst comes to worst I can buy a windows tablet/lappy to do the job if I'm getting stuck for MIDI support but at least with an app I could use my phone for futzing about which is always charged and to hand.

Not this specifically, but if the synth takes USB MIDI in, then that should be fairly straightforward as long as your phone does USB host mode.

My vague understanding of both MIDI and USB MIDI is that they're pretty standard and well specified. There might even be a library for it already.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's very much an MS-10 clone but it feels a little more gritty to me, makes me feel like I'm playing an NES.

I just wish it could sync with anything, I'd use it more if it fit into an ecosystem better. There's people that came up with hacks to do it but they're all a bit crappy.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

anyone here have a theremin? thinking about springing for it, have kinda wanted one since i was a kid

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

xzzy posted:

It's very much an MS-10 clone but it feels a little more gritty to me, makes me feel like I'm playing an NES.

I just wish it could sync with anything, I'd use it more if it fit into an ecosystem better. There's people that came up with hacks to do it but they're all a bit crappy.

I've heard tell of syncing them with a volca by playing a drum click track into the sync input but have not tried myself

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Rolo posted:

the ds-10 is all over gabby lala's second album

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Know_You_Know_I_Know

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

A lot of it on xiu xiu's dear god I hate myself as well

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

anyone here have a theremin? thinking about springing for it, have kinda wanted one since i was a kid

I bought a Moog Theremini for my wife back in 2014 or 2015. She hardly plays it and I’ve goofed with it a few times, but I imagine it’d take a fair amount of dedication and practice to actually carry a tune with it.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

field balm posted:

I've heard tell of syncing them with a volca by playing a drum click track into the sync input but have not tried myself
The episode of bad gear on the ds10 gives a tutorial on syncing.https://youtu.be/JWky3HKpRls
I've yet to try it myself, but hope it works.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I built a PAIA theremax kit years ago.
It's fun to gently caress around with but I can no way carry a tune with it.

It does have a CV out so it can be used to control other things.

I built it into a wood artists case the control panel folds down and the antennas store inside when not in use.

I had ordered it as just a PCB kit with components and built everything else myself.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

My spouse built one out of a couple thrift store radios for loving around with, but I wouldn't say that I "have" a "theremin."

If you want to make smooth spooky noises, knobs and ribbon controllers will get you there faster. If you want to actually play the thing, it takes a shitload of dedication. I know a total of one person that plays it professionally as an actual instrument, and she learned it after violin.

If you want to do wavy-hand poo poo with a synth, Doepfer makes an antenna-controlled CV euro module.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I also have a Theremini.

... I should practice.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

field balm posted:

I have both so I’ll see if I can figure it out.

Speaking of syncing, has anyone here tried the Ninjam plugin for Reaper? My buddy a few cities over has some equipment and we thought it would be cool to write something live together. I’d be hosting the server with a fiber connection.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rolo, you and I appear to be on a similar bent lately, I just bought a Nintendo DS last week so I could try the DS-10 software. I'm not going to bother trying to sync it with the pocket operators or whatever though, if I do that I think I'm going to just get more professional gear than this. The youtube I watched showed them using the left stereo channel for a sync track, which is too great a sacrifice IMO.

My latest lofi acquisition is a Joel Osteen Wisdom Cube, which it turns out actually has a micro-SD card with all the wisdom on it. I'm not sure what can be done with this forbidden knowledge but I'm sure there's a few tricks one can perform with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4lwE-CjkUE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
guys, DS-10 has been out on iPhone and I think Android for like 6 years. You don't have to go dig out or buy a DS unless you wanna also load a flash cart up with Gameboy and DS ROMs and game on the sucker