Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Peanut President posted:

they don't pay taxes anyway i don't see the point

they want to put in less effort to get away with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.

tbf, this is something that I am strongly considering doing. Not that I'm in any way rich, but ever since FATCA was implemented, local banks no longer allow American citizens to open accounts. My account was grandfathered in, but this is an inconvenience on my life that I'd love to get rid of.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

bawfuls posted:

this is the most insane part of the whole event, and is further confounding that it's a part of the modern pentathlon

Maybe we could, idk, modernize the event and ditch the 19th century cosplay part??

Due for another update, what skills do modern soldiers need behind enemy lines? Can we simulate drug smuggling or stealing a car?

murdering people via drone strike

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

nah they do that from the safety of a bunker in Nevada

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MartyAmericaUSA/status/1423772080642875397?s=20

for some reason twitter thought it'd be cool to recommend this to me. I guess it wasn't wrong, since this is fine thread fodder

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

CodfishCartographer posted:

for some reason twitter thought it'd be cool to recommend this to me. I guess it wasn't wrong, since this is fine thread fodder

:guillotine:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CodfishCartographer posted:

Parody account dude

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Parody account dude

:rip: me

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
indistinguishable from reality for the most part, though most of them still have enough shame to not openly talk about what they do. they have private forums for that.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Peanut President posted:

they don't pay taxes anyway i don't see the point

It's because they have bunkers in the countries they're fleeing to. They're trying to make under the Silver Lake real when the climate apocalypse inevitably happens.

Noosphere posted:

tbf, this is something that I am strongly considering doing. Not that I'm in any way rich, but ever since FATCA was implemented, local banks no longer allow American citizens to open accounts. My account was grandfathered in, but this is an inconvenience on my life that I'd love to get rid of.

What country is this?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Wife and I had dinner with her sister and a couple of her small business tyrant buddies (my SIL included) and there really is no greater case to be made that these people live in an entirely different reality than the rest of us than spending 4-5 hours just listening to them talk. Their concerns are so alien to me - of course, there was the group therapy session over ":qq: It's so hard to run a business these days, nobody wants to work for me, I have to come out of the office sometimes and wash or vacuum a car myself!:qq:" and "We're always in Florida this time of year, this is the most profitable time of year for my gas stations!" before moving on to the deep, existential threats the managerial class faces every day like "my contractor didn't do the thing I paid him to do the way I learned how to do it on YouTube, because they're cheap and don't want to create the overhead to buy the expensive, correct materials to do it like I saw on Lowes' YouTube channel!" and it's just a horrible, awful situation we're in because TWO of the business owners are waiting to buy the rest of the lumber they need to build the deck addons they have planned for their houses - meanwhile the catered cuban food spread we're all indulging in here is the first time my wife and I have gotten more for takeout than a small pizza and a milkshake to share in months.

My wife and I mostly sat in silence. We don't even own where we live, nevermind owning a business, so for all intents and purposes it felt like we just straight up didn't exist to these people, unless my wife was forcefully interjecting herself into the conversation. As we'd hit our limit for the cries of the professional-managerial class and started making our exit, one of the owners complained about the "Sunday Scaries" (lawl, you're a loving owner) and before I could even think it through, my head snapped around and I commented that "I got those when I was working in the private sector just to make someone else money. Right now I'm working with a nonprofit that helps domestic violence survivors with mental health conditions seek appropriate, affordable care and counseling and another nonprofit that helps pair up autistic, epileptic, or otherwise-afflicted kids with trained service dogs. [My wife] works in emergency veterinarian services and saves lives, we both feel really good about the work we do and don't dread it at all." My wife quickly ushered me out the door after that because once that cork pops, there's no stopping until I'm screaming from the rafters about guillotines and gulags.

And I think my wife is finally starting to crack and go ping. We sat down in the car and before I could even begin to figure out how to package class consciousness in a way that didn't sound Marxist/Leninist/whatever you want to call it she looked at me and commented that it was the most awkward dinner she'd ever sat through and that after hearing the car wash owner and his wife bitching about no one wanting to work for them no longer felt bad about loving her boyfriend back in high school. She's not quite there, and still occasionally drifts into thought ideas that are clearly a result of the effectiveness of the modern propaganda machine, and I want to encourage her but I have a really bad habit of starting with something like "yeah of course no one's going to work for your sisters' friend at $11 a hour" and trying to segue into "therefore dismantle capitalism and all the systems and agents that uphold it, cast the american government into the dustbin of history, and start throwing business owners into gulags" in under an hour so I'm afraid I might do more harm than good.

e: my favorite part was the yacht-industry people complaining about eroding waterfronts because of dying reefs. If I'd been biting my tongue, I would've vomited blood doing what I could to prevent myself from blurting out "and what kind of activity do you think is causing the reefs to get sick and die?"

Lib and let die has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Aug 9, 2021

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lib and let die posted:

"and what kind of activity do you think is causing the reefs to get sick and die?"
Probably some sort of Satanic communist sodomy, were I to venture a guess.

Thank you to you and your wife for y'all's service, both in serving the people and triggering the libs.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lib and let die posted:

Wife and I had dinner with her sister and a couple of her small business tyrant buddies (my SIL included) and there really is no greater case to be made that these people live in an entirely different reality than the rest of us than spending 4-5 hours just listening to them talk. Their concerns are so alien to me - of course, there was the group therapy session over ":qq: It's so hard to run a business these days, nobody wants to work for me, I have to come out of the office sometimes and wash or vacuum a car myself!:qq:" and "We're always in Florida this time of year, this is the most profitable time of year for my gas stations!" before moving on to the deep, existential threats the managerial class faces every day like "my contractor didn't do the thing I paid him to do the way I learned how to do it on YouTube, because they're cheap and don't want to create the overhead to buy the expensive, correct materials to do it like I saw on Lowes' YouTube channel!" and it's just a horrible, awful situation we're in because TWO of the business owners are waiting to buy the rest of the lumber they need to build the deck addons they have planned for their houses - meanwhile the catered cuban food spread we're all indulging in here is the first time my wife and I have gotten more for takeout than a small pizza and a milkshake to share in months.

My wife and I mostly sat in silence. We don't even own where we live, nevermind owning a business, so for all intents and purposes it felt like we just straight up didn't exist to these people, unless my wife was forcefully interjecting herself into the conversation. As we'd hit our limit for the cries of the professional-managerial class and started making our exit, one of the owners complained about the "Sunday Scaries" (lawl, you're a loving owner) and before I could even think it through, my head snapped around and I commented that "I got those when I was working in the private sector just to make someone else money. Right now I'm working with a nonprofit that helps domestic violence survivors with mental health conditions seek appropriate, affordable care and counseling and another nonprofit that helps pair up autistic, epileptic, or otherwise-afflicted kids with trained service dogs. [My wife] works in emergency veterinarian services and saves lives, we both feel really good about the work we do and don't dread it at all." My wife quickly ushered me out the door after that because once that cork pops, there's no stopping until I'm screaming from the rafters about guillotines and gulags.

And I think my wife is finally starting to crack and go ping. We sat down in the car and before I could even begin to figure out how to package class consciousness in a way that didn't sound Marxist/Leninist/whatever you want to call it she looked at me and commented that it was the most awkward dinner she'd ever sat through and that after hearing the car wash owner and his wife bitching about no one wanting to work for them no longer felt bad about loving her boyfriend back in high school. She's not quite there, and still occasionally drifts into thought ideas that are clearly a result of the effectiveness of the modern propaganda machine, and I want to encourage her but I have a really bad habit of starting with something like "yeah of course no one's going to work for your sisters' friend at $11 a hour" and trying to segue into "therefore dismantle capitalism and all the systems and agents that uphold it, cast the american government into the dustbin of history, and start throwing business owners into gulags" in under an hour so I'm afraid I might do more harm than good.

e: my favorite part was the yacht-industry people complaining about eroding waterfronts because of dying reefs. If I'd been biting my tongue, I would've vomited blood doing what I could to prevent myself from blurting out "and what kind of activity do you think is causing the reefs to get sick and die?"
I get that some people in C-SPAM love this classification for some reason, but you're describing standard petite bourgeoisie. Hell, the one with multiple gas stations is definitely close to losing the petite part if they're not already there.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Sounds like OP picked the correct thread, then?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I get that some people in C-SPAM love this classification for some reason, but you're describing standard petite bourgeoisie. Hell, the one with multiple gas stations is definitely close to losing the petite part if they're not already there.

Sounds like a bunch of petite bourgeoise gatekeeping to me, pitetey

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tubgoat posted:

Sounds like OP picked the correct thread, then?
Yes. They deserve the guillotine for anti-Marxist rhetoric.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/bilbosfootcomb/status/1424848764372758532

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
https://twitter.com/KatiePhang/status/1425601640124538881

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011

Endless_joker_laugh.wav

If there were mental gymnastics in the olympics, this person would win gold.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

lordofthefishes posted:

Endless_joker_laugh.wav

If there were mental gymnastics in the olympics, this person would win gold.

Uranium, imho.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

everyone in the state of Texas got this notification sent to their phone last night at 11:30pm

https://twitter.com/Noahdunn99/status/1427486065670213632

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

They put it out every time a cop offs themself.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
They want to reinforce the myth that being a cop is a dangerous burden and a noble sacrifice and stop whining, the flash bang in the crib didn't give the baby THAT many third degree burns, just do what they say because they're looking out for their own safety against dangerous druggies holding cell phones.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
some guy at a traffic stop blasted a cop. seems like he got away, that rascal.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

someone has driven off with a cop in violation of a custody agreement.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Saw this in the pictures thread and knew it belonged here.

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1427636676009107470

Poor man might be forced to sell his private jet.

EDIT: Please note the large watch 'accidentally' being displayed there. No idea what it is, but I'm sure it costs more than my house.

Megillah Gorilla has issued a correction as of 06:05 on Aug 18, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

everyone in the state of Texas got this notification sent to their phone last night at 11:30pm

https://twitter.com/Noahdunn99/status/1427486065670213632

Blue Alert = official notification from the state that something to be happy about happened

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

everyone is always saying we need to fund social security and Medicare more...or we could just start killing old people off

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Nastier Nate posted:

everyone is always saying we need to fund social security and Medicare more...or we could just start killing old people off

Coronavirus may have killed a lot of people but insurance companies are making way more money so who can say if it is bad or not

E: sorry thought this was d&d while having a flamewar flashback

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

tokin opposition posted:

Coronavirus may have killed a lot of people but insurance companies are making way more money so who can say if it is bad or not

E: sorry thought this was d&d while having a flamewar flashback

yes a lot of high risk sick people have dropped dead, but treating patients with covid in the hospital isn't really profitable so its probably a wash for them i would think

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
actually all hospitals make all patients die of covid cause they get extra money for it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
At the start of the pandemic, a bunch of hospitals had to furlough a lot of their employees, because they're cancelling all of their elective procedures due to COVID. Those elective surgeries were there main source of revenue, so they weren't making enough money to stay fully staffed. During a pandemic.

Best possible economic system.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

but I was told people travel from all over the world to come get surgery and medical care in the United States because we're so good at everything wtf

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Thanatosian posted:

At the start of the pandemic, a bunch of hospitals had to furlough a lot of their employees, because they're cancelling all of their elective procedures due to COVID. Those elective surgeries were there main source of revenue, so they weren't making enough money to stay fully staffed. During a pandemic.

Best possible economic system.

i lolled so hard when i found this out

who knew hospitals in the united states literally cannot exist without doing thousands of scopes in every orfice at all times of day

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

and gall bladder removals, it was very weird to be with my 80 year old mother hospitalized for a broken leg and having multiple surgeons approach her unsolicited and try to talk her into getting her gall bladder removed.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
If Obama hadn’t made it illegal, insurance companies could consider “having the means to get a Covid vaccine but being too stupid to get one” a pre-existing condition.

Then they could deny paying for treatment if you end up unvaxxed and vented

And that saved $30,000 could go right into the shareholders pockets

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

The Nastier Nate posted:

If Obama hadn’t made it illegal, insurance companies could consider “having the means to get a Covid vaccine but being too stupid to get one” a pre-existing condition.

Then they could deny paying for treatment if you end up unvaxxed and vented

And that saved $30,000 could go right into the shareholders pockets

yeah it’s one of the few good parts of the ACA

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Crosscut is usually better than this.

"Certainly we can all agree on upzoning for density!" No, actually, the lobbying groups that represent you and your rent-seeking leech "housing provider" compatriots fight against that tooth and loving nail. I also don't think we can agree on making it easier for landlords to evict tenants, or building more microhousing that removes 70% of the size of an apartment and reduces the rent by like 5%. If you want to live in a sardine can, good for you, but it should at least cost what it's worth (and I say that as someone who shares 425 square feet with a roommate).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Crosscut is usually better than this.

"Certainly we can all agree on upzoning for density!" No, actually, the lobbying groups that represent you and your rent-seeking leech "housing provider" compatriots fight against that tooth and loving nail. I also don't think we can agree on making it easier for landlords to evict tenants, or building more microhousing that removes 70% of the size of an apartment and reduces the rent by like 5%. If you want to live in a sardine can, good for you, but it should at least cost what it's worth (and I say that as someone who shares 425 square feet with a roommate).

"Grass roots housing providers"

Oh look she has a website to post sob stories about how hard it is to be a grassroots housing provider:
https://www.seattlegrassrootslandlords.org/

quote:

Given that I had worked so on the property and that my children were in immediate proximity to it, I chafed at the rule that said I had to rent the home to the first person who qualified. I chafed at what seemed like an un-ending stream of new rules and regulations that I was suppossed to track and comply with. The threats of fines if I didn't comply correctly. I have a full time job, I raise a family.

In the end, I decided the small rental income wasn't worth the distraction and potential aggravation. The ADU is not on the rental market.

What do you mean I'm not allowed to be racist?

quote:

A few years ago things changed for us as landlords in Seattle as the city literally began taking more and more control of who lives in our home. When the pandemic came and we could no longer be assured of being paid by our tenant, whether they were impacted by covid or not, we decided to eliminate all of the personal and financial risks and simply sell the house and move to a place where we won't need the rental income. In February we sold the house to a couple who does not intend to rent the ADU. It's unfortunate for potential renters that a clean, well maintained space in a beautiful house is no longer available for anyone to rent.

What do you mean I can't evict people in the middle of a pandemic?

quote:

Now tenants in Seattle facing eviction get a free lawyer no matter if they can afford it or not. As for the small time housing provider, nope! It would be so easy to add a small-time housing provider (less than 4 units) exemption to these bills and legislative actions, but that falls on deaf ears every time. I pay a membership fee annually to RHAWA so I can get access to rental forms and information on this ever changing landscape. You'd think Seattle would provide all the forms etc. But they do not. So I pay for it out of pocket. Still that does not protect me, we are still expected to know all the complex laws now in place.

What do you mean the city will pay for legal assistance for someone at the poverty line who wants to not be homeless, but won't give free legal assistance to me, a simple country housing provider who owns 4 houses in Seattle?

quote:

A single family rental in the Bitter Lake neighborhood was sold. The landlord had more than 10 years experience and cites as reasons for selling: 1) Current / recent landlord-tenant laws. 2) Risks of future landlord-tenant legislation. 3) Political and/or social animosity toward landlords. It appears the new owners are no longer offering it as a rental.

Oh no, someone wants to live in a house instead of use it to extract profit from others? Terrible.

quote:

The plan was to renovate the basement into another apartment which would help cover the cost of the improvements, but our finances are not strong enough to pull us through a lease with a bad tenant. Seattle's new laws are terrifyingly restrictive to independent landlords, and it is just not worth the risk to our personal finances. We can use that basement for other purposes and will sell the house when the current renters decide to move out.

What do you mean investments can carry risk?

quote:

Despite the claims of commitment to 'community', Seattle City Council's Landlord hostility has hamstrung the smaller land holding entrepreneur and ensured that the only people who can afford to gamble in this market are absentee corporate landlords.

lmao