Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

mexecan posted:

Gulf CAAD update. Switched out the wheels in the last year. And a crank upgrade.

Also considering selling. I rarely ride group rides anymore let alone compete. Something like an Aspero with two sets of wheels (road/gravel) is probably in my future.

If this was my size I'd consider giving my current CAAD10 a sibling asap.

Love this bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

These are great.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
I picked up my N+1, a Cannondale supersix Evo Hi Mod. The guy selling it got knocked off by a car breaking his collar bone, and this bike was the replacement, its got around 25miles on it, and the guy has lost his nerve and is going to stick to gravel.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Sab0921 posted:

Sup Blue Panaracer crew.

Loving my green ones!

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

mikemelbrooks posted:

I picked up my N+1, a Cannondale supersix Evo Hi Mod. The guy selling it got knocked off by a car breaking his collar bone, and this bike was the replacement, its got around 25miles on it, and the guy has lost his nerve and is going to stick to gravel.

Cars....good?

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Janky waltworks franken bike used for gravel, singletrack, bike packing, and running around town. Who says you can't have a do it all bike?

Shown here with far less bags than usual.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CaptainTofu posted:

Surly 1x1, 21 years young. Probably its 4th or 5th iteration in the 6 years I've owned it.

Surly keeps coming back to this bike. Inspiration for me getting a Lowside:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3933899&pagenumber=207&perpage=40#post516369613

After building the front wheel and getting the right vanity parts, I finally went out to get some pics of it.

Been meaning to use the chrome bullmoose bar, and from there, the theme turned into a black and silver affair.
I lucked out with all the black and silver spacers I had to get that gradient effect.
By chance, sweat poteto linked the sweet mad max looking drillium cranks, and I happened to have the Yokozuna Reaction cables.

That's a road double sitting on a 128mm spindle ISIS BB that's about 15-20mm wider than in a road setup, which puts the inner ring at around Boost chainline, pretty much by coincidence.
I don't really need the full spindle length for the cranks to clear the chainstay, but it was the one wide enough I could find on eBay. I'm using a SS spacer kit on a regular freehub, so could easily account for a chainline tweak.

"Had" to get polished Paul levers to match the Klampers that have been shuffling around my parts bin.
The only thing I haven't splashed for a full silver or polished dropper switch, which only Paul seems to offer.
The Lowside has a port on the seat tube for internal dropper cabling, but no ports or external guides on the DT, so I'm not convinced it would look that much cleaner.

Would look even cleaner without the dropper switch or cable, but with the high BB, I do like dropping it at stops.

After about maybe 20mi of normal riding on this wheel I built up, it seems to be holding up. No obvious untruing so far.
Still hopping off curbs more gingerly than I would if it were a wheel of completely unknown provenance, but I'm sure I'll get there.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Very nice build.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lodie posted:

new tape + tires

:sickos:

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

kimbo305 posted:

Lowside build

This owns. Also how are you finding the extraterrestrials?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've had them for a while, and have gone on the trails a couple times with them. They don't have the same grip as real MTB tires, obviously, but enough to have fun with.
On the road, they're not that much faster, but are much less buzzy than anything with tread knobs.

My choice to go with 26" came down to already having these tires (and 40mm rims) and wanting to reuse them.
There is a 27.5 x 2.5 size, and given that Surly only sells the Lowside with a 27.5 x 2.8 now, it stands to reason it would fit. Would pick up another cm of ground clearance on an already high BB.
That'd still be the build I would go with starting from scratch, though. Normal MTB wheels and 27.5 ETs.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Not my bike, but my best buddy (who really got me into cycling more seriously to begin with) just built up a fixie, and it's super tight. He got a Planet X Sealth Pro TT frame, and a buddy of his who works at a body shop repainted it for him in a really nice champagne sparkle that looks silver, pink, and more depending on the lighting.

Older zipp handlebars, sram commuter cranks. The whole thing is about 17 lbs, and it's sprightly and snappy to ride.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

kimbo305 posted:

I've had them for a while, and have gone on the trails a couple times with them. They don't have the same grip as real MTB tires, obviously, but enough to have fun with.
On the road, they're not that much faster, but are much less buzzy than anything with tread knobs.

My choice to go with 26" came down to already having these tires (and 40mm rims) and wanting to reuse them.
There is a 27.5 x 2.5 size, and given that Surly only sells the Lowside with a 27.5 x 2.8 now, it stands to reason it would fit. Would pick up another cm of ground clearance on an already high BB.
That'd still be the build I would go with starting from scratch, though. Normal MTB wheels and 27.5 ETs.

Nice, I keep toying with plus tyres for my 1x1 and options for 26+ are seriously limited, so it's good to know these are a viable option.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?
Been meaning to post my Doppo for a while, so here's a big post about it.

Originally I bought it as a project for paternity leave in March 2020, but it turned into my covid project.

The goal was to build a new commuter/anywhere adventure bike using parts from my jake the snake and a few new parts. Simple and easy to fix/maintain.

Decided on purple as the contrast color because drat it looks good

With the supply chain getting all hosed up, parts were trickling in as the months went by, and occasionally I had to run to a local shop to borrow a tool I didn't have.

By late fall most stuff was in and the bike was mainly together

and November was the first ride

Took it out with my daughter's brand new bike just about a year after starting the project

It's fantastic off and on road

Decided to get a second wheelset for it, 650b

So now I can swap wheelsets to go between adventure and commuter

Put some chonky tires on, and have been riding it almost every weekend in the parks nearby

I also sort of regret the green tires, they don't quite match right, I'll probably swap to tan walls when they wear out eventually. I swapped the green pedals for black, and the 650 is not a dynamo which I might add some day when I decide to learn how to rebuild a wheel.

In conclusion, gently caress yeah bikes.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

FredLordofCheese posted:

gently caress yeah bikes.

:yeah:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

FredLordofCheese posted:

So now I can swap wheelsets to go between adventure and commuter

In conclusion, gently caress yeah bikes.

Very good :hmmyes:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

FredLordofCheese posted:

Doppo gently caress yeah

Oh man, i've been eyeing these frames for a while. That build turned out great. Good job and happy riding!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Someone get the blue Doppo mtb, please.

FredLordofCheese
Aug 16, 2005

Hey there, here's your pizza, may I ask why you are wearing that sheer robe?

kimbo305 posted:

:eyepop:

I wonder if I could transfer the karate monkey parts over....

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kimbo305 posted:

Holy poo poo yes

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
morning sun is the best sun

I want a new computer mount solution though...might just go back to one that sits barely out front of the stem but I think that'll tap on the cables
Might have to drop the bars down a 5mm spacer to fit on a kedge that puts the mount more directly over the stem but dunno how that will feel

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Levitate posted:

morning sun is the best sun

I want a new computer mount solution though...might just go back to one that sits barely out front of the stem but I think that'll tap on the cables
Might have to drop the bars down a 5mm spacer to fit on a kedge that puts the mount more directly over the stem but dunno how that will feel

Just use a Garmin watch imo

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

bicievino posted:

Just use a Garmin watch imo

I have one and I double record!
I do like having some easier to look at view of things though and the GPS isn't as good as the computer

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Levitate posted:

I have one and I double record!
I do like having some easier to look at view of things though and the GPS isn't as good as the computer

Actual same, especially when trailforkin new trails.
The watch looks pro though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Dick Does Oahu, did 50 chill miles with dead comedy forums user paperwind

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
New bike day. Had to go with the powder blue option. Can figure out the orange bits later.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
You planning on mainly gravelling it or as a road/off-road switcheroo-er? Would be interested in finding out what they're like as a road bike replacement.

:krad: bike either way.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Heliosicle posted:

You planning on mainly gravelling it or as a road/off-road switcheroo-er? Would be interested in finding out what they're like as a road bike replacement.

The later. I sold my CAAD10 last month and this is the replacement. So it’ll be serving both road and gravel. As a fast road bike it does quite well, especially with the Easton wheelset I borrowed from a friend. I’m still getting it dialed in but that same friend made a similar jump from Specialized Venge and feels you don’t give up much going to the Aspero.

I’ll be grabbing the Hunt Aero 34’s for my road wheelset and maybe a set of We Are One’s next spring, budget permitting, for fast gravel/racing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I didn't love the 125mm drop on the post, the non matchy matchy dropper switch, and the loop of cable up to the top of the post, so I switched over to a completely overkill Fox Transfer and Paul polished switch.

You can tell the bronzeish cast the bar has.
The switch ergonomics don't quite jibe with me, but it's still better than the old one.

The Transfer post is great. From the NDS, you can't really spot the routing to the widget on the dropper base:

There's almost no yaw play in the post, tighter than other droppers I've had. It moves a little slowly, but doesn't have that tinny clank that some posts do when they top out.

Last thing is to get rid of the saddle and its yellow accent.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

i want one of these so badly, even knowing full well i can make zero use of it in a very hilly area

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Those headset spaces are on point. And I love the drillium crank arms.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

That bike looks hella fun. Cool build

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dreadite posted:

i want one of these so badly, even knowing full well i can make zero use of it in a very hilly area

It's very spinny right now at 34 x 18 (and big 26" tires), but I def don't regret it with all the spiky steep hills around here. I just suffer spinning 120 to cruise briskly.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

This is sick and clean and it makes me want to build a third single speed which I absolutely don't need.

12 weeks and waiting now on my 650b wheelset for this bizarre beast. My first fully custom build, and I'm finally impatient enough to just post in-progress pics. Going fixed, but greedily eyeing the Mone coaster hub. Maybe for an spare rear wheel.

Until then, I'll just keep riding this hot mess.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

That is hot. I'm sorry they don't make the tektro r559 in cool colors.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

CopperHound posted:

That is hot. I'm sorry they don't make the tektro r559 in cool colors.

650b means I need 89 mm reach, baybee! This front brake ain't gonna do poo poo. I may swap it out for something that isn't an insanely janky side pull but it was purple, so...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

This is sick and clean and it makes me want to build a third single speed which I absolutely don't need.

12 weeks and waiting now on my 650b wheelset for this bizarre beast. My first fully custom build, and I'm finally impatient enough to just post in-progress pics. Going fixed, but greedily eyeing the Mone coaster hub. Maybe for an spare rear wheel.

:allbuttons::allbuttons::allbuttons:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

That FL Man paint is sick. I don't have a Crust, but I love their aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Crust Crew yeah buddy

That bike needs some leopard print SOMEWHERE