Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Lost a game 100 to 1000 points today and some idiot reported me for abusive voice chat. I've never heard anyone talk in the game, I didn't even know this game had voice chat. This happen to anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Venusaur is a lot of fun. I dunno if petal dance is better but solar beam is fun to use.

Is there any way to see who uses special attack vs. regular attack? I put special attack stuff on crustle since none of my friends knew and he hit like a noodle.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

is there a discord for anyone playing today?

There isn't for this thread, check the main thread.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

tofes posted:

Lost a game 100 to 1000 points today and some idiot reported me for abusive voice chat. I've never heard anyone talk in the game, I didn't even know this game had voice chat. This happen to anyone else?

People are abusing that report option to punish players they're mad at

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mfcrocker posted:

People are abusing that report option to punish players they're mad at

W.......who would do that.........[sweats nervously]

(I only did it one time to someone who intentionally stopped playing the game and just stood top lane and ran in circles for the last three mins of the game and caused us to lose by 30 points)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They may have had connection problems, I had that happen to me for an entire minute during a match. Luckily I was able to recover and help pull off a win, but my top lane partner must have thought I was nuts

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Is there a way to see the actual score before the end of the game? If not it's really aggravating to not be able to tell. You can sort of tell in the 5v5 map by the progress of the goals but not always.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Zarick posted:

Is there a way to see the actual score before the end of the game? If not it's really aggravating to not be able to tell. You can sort of tell in the 5v5 map by the progress of the goals but not always.

Nope! Only place it shows is in spectate mode

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

W.......who would do that.........[sweats nervously]

(I only did it one time to someone who intentionally stopped playing the game and just stood top lane and ran in circles for the last three mins of the game and caused us to lose by 30 points)

Uh that's not abusing it? That's what it's for in your case

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Based on a reddit poster who messed around in practice mode, close battle means both teams are within 30 points, you're in the lead/struggling is 31-100, and REALLY is over 100. That's pretty much all you have to work with score-wise.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Xad posted:

Uh that's not abusing it? That's what it's for in your case

On no I mean I selected the comms abuse option because I thought it would lead to them getting punished worse

Mega64 posted:

They may have had connection problems, I had that happen to me for an entire minute during a match. Luckily I was able to recover and help pull off a win, but my top lane partner must have thought I was nuts
They were just killing all the jungle creeps and never scoring while everyone else was doing Zapdos and trying to defend goals, deffo not a connection issue. I know the game's got a connection problem so if someone's afk for like the first minute of a match it sucks but I wouldn't report over that. This was in high veteran rank too so definitely someone who was just mad and not someone who didn't know better

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Maybe I just have bad taste but I prefer quick mode to ranked.

I used to play HOTS so I prefer having different maps and the shorter duration and extra chaos is a plus too

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The thing that's going to eventually make me stop playing is that ranked mode is the only mode with any sort of skill-based matchmaking. Quick/Normals are just getting thrown into the ring against the children to annihilate, which is fun for a while, but at some point I'd like the enemies to put up a fight. I wanted to play some Mr. Mime in normals because he seemed cool and I was considering buying him but it's impossible to assess if he's good or not when you effortlessly win every game. But, at the same time, I don't always feel like doing money matches with my rank. Every other MOBA has ranked mmr, but also unranked general skill brackets to make sure new players aren't getting shitstomped every single game

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I lost a game because the drift problem with my switch controller interrupts dunking. It would have been a last second dunk for 100 points that would have saved the game, but no, inferior Nintendo hardware will decide whether you win or not, lol!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I'm stuck bouncing between Great class 3 and 4, I get on a streak and then I get in a match where i'm going to the low path by myself and all of my team mates are piled up on the top lane with no one in jungle. It seems harder to outright dominate up the ladder in this low rank compared to league, or maybe I just suck

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

War Wizard posted:

I lost a game because the drift problem with my switch controller interrupts dunking. It would have been a last second dunk for 100 points that would have saved the game, but no, inferior Nintendo hardware will decide whether you win or not, lol!
This is the game that finally got me to replace my sticks, because even right stick drift freaks it the gently caress out and causes all kinds of dropped and phantom inputs

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Had my first proper big loss streak in ranked with 6 on the bounce. Thank gently caress I had 3 games worth of rank protection

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This game has some absolutely insane loss streak technology. I would have gone from Vet to Ultra in like three hours if not for a nine-game loss streak at the final game

Also I use my 8bitdo controller because my joycons are hosed from drift. I still have a huge issue with the dead zones on the right analog stick, so like if I flick the stick to use eject button it will very often rebound the other direction and Ill blink into the enemy and die. Its taken a while to train myself to hold the stick until after I actually do the input to make sure this doesnt happen

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This game has some absolutely insane loss streak technology. I would have gone from Vet to Ultra in like three hours if not for a nine-game loss streak at the final game

Also I use my 8bitdo controller because my joycons are hosed from drift. I still have a huge issue with the dead zones on the right analog stick, so like if I flick the stick to use eject button it will very often rebound the other direction and Ill blink into the enemy and die. Its taken a while to train myself to hold the stick until after I actually do the input to make sure this doesnt happen

Yeah, mine was in Vet too. Just a few bunches of teammates that flat out don't understand the game :smith:

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Good god finally got veteran, went back and forth between expert 3 and 5 for a few days. I'm noticing more of my pubbie teammates know basic stuff like what mobs are theirs and to attack drednaw which is nice, but still see them lose 4v1s and get completely torched by zapdos all at once.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm a little tired of playing p5 support and then being abandoned in lane to die. I bought Gengar. Any builds/tips? I'm going to take him into practice for a bit and learn.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm a little tired of playing p5 support and then being abandoned in lane to die. I bought Gengar. Any builds/tips? I'm going to take him into practice for a bit and learn.

Sludge Bomb Hex is all you need to pop off. Items are the usual two (Buddy Barrier/Energy Amplifier) and then either Wise Glasses or the special attack scoring item. I'd recommend either top or jungle, you want him to hit final form as fast as possible, but even just having Haunter's Hex combo is going to easily secure you Dreadnaw because you can Hex infinitely. The safe strat is Sludge Bomb, five hexes, then Sludge Bomb will be back. You could technically do six if you're about to secure a kill but the last one is going to set Hex cooldown to 7s, so unless whoever you're attacking is one hit away from death it's better to just wait the extra second to Sludge Bomb again to keep your infinite going. This is most useful against Zapdos, where you definitely want to cycle him instead of going for the greedy sixth hit.

Your ult also makes you invisible so use it to initiate and secure objectives

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Also, what is the mechanic on Unite move cooldowns? I never know how to use it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Which lane are you in? If you're bottom yeah, your team shouldn't be abandoning you pretty much at any point. If you're top, it's pretty common to leave a defender there (usually Snorlax) whilst the rest of the team fucks off to go get Drednaw.

If you're top playing a non-defender support, consider bottom lane instead if you can or go join in the Drednaw fight and let your top goal get killed

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mfcrocker posted:

Which lane are you in? If you're bottom yeah, your team shouldn't be abandoning you pretty much at any point. If you're top, it's pretty common to leave a defender there (usually Snorlax) whilst the rest of the team fucks off to go get Drednaw.

If you're top playing a non-defender support, consider bottom lane instead if you can or go join in the Drednaw fight and let your top goal get killed

With Eldegloss I always go bottom and assist. I keep an eye on my jungler as well and maybe pop up for a heal on him if he needs it.

The issue I have at Veteran is that the game always starts pretty well bottom, and we can almost always get the bottom goal destroyed but then the attacker I'm helping gets antsy holding points and goes for a Tier2 dunk and keeps getting bombed when the enemy jumps in.

If they'd just sit back and wait, farm for levels and not worry about scoring on the dangerous t2 goal, then we could just get objectives and defend indefinitely.

It's just hard to sit on 40 points, see the t2 goal is empty and not go for it. I usually will just wait until I know that no Pokemon are going to respawn and jump in. I find that most games I lose are lost because we keep throwing ourselves at T2 goals, it's like early game you play to win, but then you shift to play not to lose late game.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Almost every unite move has a 134s cooldown, except for Zeraora/Charizard/MrMime who have 100s and then Cinderace/Greninja have like 160s. Killing a neutral creep reduces the cooldown by 5% per kill (so for Charizard, one creep kill is 5 seconds of cooldown removed), scoring a goal is a 10s cooldown reduction, destroying a goal is 14%. Dying is a flat 13.5 second reduction regardless of character. Having a maxed out Energy Amp reduces the overall time by 6%.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I find that most games I lose are lost because we keep throwing ourselves at T2 goals, it's like early game you play to win, but then you shift to play not to lose late game.

This is exactly how I end up winning most games, but on the opposite end. We lose early game, enemies just keep throwing themselves as our T2s and never manage to actually score because we can infinitely jump pad to defend, eventually they get whittled down enough that we can kill them and get the comeback EXP. Hell, sometimes I won't even show up to these fights and will hit Audinos because in the meantime, the enemy isnt hitting any creeps and isnt gaining any levels and I'm almost totally caught up by the time they finally leave

I totally disagree with the idea that if your team is doing the suicide dives under the enemy bubbles that you should join them. Just go off by yourself and kill creeps and get a level advantage, the enemy isn't hitting any creeps during this time either. Showing up to the fight you might get like, one kill? If you're two levels higher than the enemy, a kill isn't even worth it, you get basically zero EXP. If you're level 10, a single Audino is worth more EXP than a kill against a level 8 enemy.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 11, 2021

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The game has really fierce rubber banding so you are never really so far ahead you can fountain dive or so far behind you can give up. It's important to note the game state, I think it's reversed from most MOBAs and you can't death ball run down mid in this game.

- if you win early game 0-3 minutes (if you destroy t1 goals) basically turtle and defend since the other team gets so many advantages you'll just throw away the lead

- if you lose early game 0-3 (they get your goals), be aggressive and try to get their t1 goals, you can't turtle and try to win in super late game.

Pretty much once you get the two t1 goals, it's not worth going on T2's until the final stretch. Just get creeps, level up, and avoid death.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Started playing this two days ago and I dunno if it's because I'm obliterating people at low rank but it sure is fun. Definitely haven't felt this powerful in a moba before. I had one game where I was like 4 levels above the other team and I'd run towards a group and instead of engaging they would just scatter in all directions. Then I'd pick one to chase and kill.

I settled on Alolan Ninetales, got the sp. atk glasses and shell bell and pumped all my tokens into it. Then Dazzling Gleam > Aurora Veil. It's just...so strong? I sneak up on the outskirts of a fight, pop veil and X-attack and the boosted basics that freeze and aoe just wipe everything.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have absolutely no idea how to get to higher ranks with out a five man stack. The last three games we have two guys jungling and we lost by like 700 points. I was at Veteran but I've lost my last six games (not counting the bot match it put me in where they conceded in 5 minutes.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My first game of Ultra rank, the enemy trashed all of our lanes and we lost all Dreadnaws and Rotoms and our T1s were dead at 6 mins but the enemy did the "WE HAVE POINTS NEED TO DUNK" thing and died enough times that they couldn't show up to Zapdos and we won by 30 points

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I am losing all the time now. It's not that everyone got better, it's just that the bad players are now on my team and not the enemy team. How do I end up solo bottom against three of the enemy and we still lose top? A good question, I'd also like to know the answer to this. I'm seeing all-rounders, attackers, and speedsters on my team with 0 points scored and no kills all the time now, I have no idea what happened. I may have to stick to ranked for half decent games.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Unranked games are complete free-for-alls in terms of player skill. If I queue up right now there's a non-zero chance I'll be paired with or against someone's first game ever. So yeah, it's pretty much luck of the draw in terms of whether the toddlers are on your team or against you.

I said this before but the fact that you basically have to play ranked if you don't want the games to be total clownfests is what's going to eventually make me stop playing. Any other game's unranked games have some sort of underlying skill brackets to prevent stuff like this

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The bad news is ranked is also a total clownfest but it makes you even angrier because they're your rank drat it, how are they so dumb?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I just made it to Expert mostly maining Venusaur, but I just took the item advice and powered up buddy barrier, wise glasses, and focus band and I am a monster.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wait, has it really been confirmed that there's no matchmaking in normal games? That's kinda lame, I play normal games 75% of the time and I only ever want to play like 3 or 4 characters in Ranked.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

I settled on Alolan Ninetales, got the sp. atk glasses and shell bell and pumped all my tokens into it. Then Dazzling Gleam > Aurora Veil. It's just...so strong? I sneak up on the outskirts of a fight, pop veil and X-attack and the boosted basics that freeze and aoe just wipe everything.

Those are the two best Ninetales abilities, yeah. For items, though, Muscle Band is actually better than the glasses because it benefits your boosted AV attacks, which is where most of your damage comes from. Buddy Barrier is a must on every Pokemon, and I've been running Focus Band as my third since I saw it on the recommended items list on the previous page and it's been good.

Also, if there's one thing I learned from HotS, it's that having a teleport on a short cooldown is an extremely powerful ability, so I'd recommend switching to Eject Button to see how you like it. It seems to be the only Battle Item anyone uses at Expert and above.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah, a blink is incredibly useful, all the more so in Unite given how few disengagement skills there are in game. (There's Cinderace's Feint, Cramorant's Dive, and, uh...Machomp Dynamicpunch, in a pinch?) Doubly so as it's a quick way to chase to secure a kill.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, it's great for punishing someone when they overextend (and it can save your rear end when you do the same) and it has all sorts of miscellaneous uses like jumping over a wall to get the winning dunk two seconds before the game ends. It's really the best ability.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Yo I unlocked the blink item and yeah I can't see what i'd ever potentially replace it with

I've been using the hell out of the chat shortcuts and I dunno if people think its annoying but teams generally seem to listen and jump on the same page if someone is doing lots of callouts

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It's just hard to sit on 40 points, see the t2 goal is empty and not go for it. I usually will just wait until I know that no Pokemon are going to respawn and jump in. I find that most games I lose are lost because we keep throwing ourselves at T2 goals, it's like early game you play to win, but then you shift to play not to lose late game.

I think this is part of my problem, so thanks for calling it out. Don't worry about those.points if it means dying and giving them an advantage.

I had a really good game, both teams were super balanced, only T1 goals down. I died and spawned with just over 20 seconds remaining. Big team fight by Zapdos, with Zapdos at full health. I was sitting on 15 points, spawned and ran to their top T2. Scored with seconds remaining and won by 15 points. It felt sooooo good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I played my first games since I got into Expert and immediately lost two and went down to Great. Both games started with two random teammates wandering through the jungle leaving me as Eldegoss solo bot. One game our Zeraora came to lane with me after I pinged for backup, except he didn't want to do anything but run directly at the enemy team if they were anywhere nearby, and then three people voted to surrender at 5min after whatever massacre happened top. I topped damage and points and kills in both games as Eldegoss, which seems really silly. Thankfully the third game the enemy team had the pants on their head instead of mine and we won at 5min after they surrendered.

If this is the only mode with matchmaking then I don't even know what the gently caress. A huge chunk of these games are decided by how many people on either team actually understand how to play the game. Part of it is that I need to play more Greninja and Pikachu so I can carry games, but it's still essentially a slightly-weighted coinflip and it really puts me off wanting to grind out enough Ranked games to get into the higher ranks.