Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Obviously you do you and you know your situation better than me, but half a cup of olive oil seems like a lot! I generally used crumpled up newspaper or paper bags at the bottom of mine and don't need an oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Turns out that putting a bunch of lard between the slices, then rubbing it like all hell, before cooking for ten hours or so makes a perfectly reasonable pulled pork situation. I am entirely satisfied.

https://twitter.com/Brainmage/status/1424450052488146947?s=19

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That looks good! Glad it turned out well

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Success!

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Where is the Viking trout

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Valhalla

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Now now, I'm a busy longbeard and must get the necessary farming and murderizing the wends out of my braids before I can upload my work to your discerning eyes.

Without further hemming, I give you: Auðumbla! - a fitting name, considering she started her life full of cow poo poo!

A regular clay-and-dung wattled smoker, really. We built a skeleton of flexible willow rods, then tucked small 'bricks' of clay out of our pit and stuck them on the skeleton. When it had dried out after a week or so, we put a load of boughs and dung inside, and then burned it with lots of wood - not too many lots, of course, as you'll want the temperatue to rise and fall in a controlled manner, or the core may crack entirely. Here's a picture of the burning, and a look into the stove tower, where you can clearly see long grooves from where the willow skeleton has burned away:

A stump of video here, that shows it with boughs still in: https://imgur.com/ah1ltAn

And here she is in action, five lake trout smoked with plenty of nettles, bishop's weed and some thyme on the coals:

As we can't use any non-period methods, we determined the proper hotsmoking temperature by hand, literally - stick your hand a ways into the stove, and if your hand is prickling, it's between 50-90 degrees C! Also, the fish will tell you: Once they're cooked, they'll turn the whites of their eyes, and if they get too hot, they'll 'open their coat' or lift their tails.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On chimney starter chat, I got some Weber cubes and have been using those with great success. I use two of them at a time, which costs about 42 cents total, so it's pretty economical and reliably gets the chimney starter going. Bonus is there's not all the ash I would get from burning paper towels/butcher paper/newsprint.

It rained a lot the last few days, and a bunch of water got into my Akorn and got the charcoal that was in there wet. I put it in the chimney starter (not realizing at first that it was wet) and when I did realize that I was trying to light wet charcoal, I went ahead and used 3 starter cubes, without much optimism. It got it lit just fine though, so hurray for fire cubes.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Carillon posted:

Obviously you do you and you know your situation better than me, but half a cup of olive oil seems like a lot! I generally used crumpled up newspaper or paper bags at the bottom of mine and don't need an oil.

Yeah, a half cup of oil is a ton. It really just needs a quick hit of oil, nothing crazy, to get coals going with a chimney

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Also buy nicer olive oil until you aren't willing to burn it you heathens.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I have never had newspaper not work in a chimney starter.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

I have never had newspaper not work in a chimney starter.

I started chimney starter chat by looking for alternatives not because newspaper doesn’t work (though it’s ashy) but because all my newspapers are online these days and iPads make for lovely fire starters.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
alright, perhaps a half cup is a bit too high, it was just a wild rear end guess. When i did it yesterday I started it with a few 'glugs' from a jug of 'extra pure' olive oil, so it probably ended up being a tablespoon or two.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
About a tablespoon of canola on a papertowel? Thrown down in my egg and it starts up good. That being said I got a huge bag of wax and paper cubes at Lowe’s for like $10 and they’re even easier.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I started chimney starter chat by looking for alternatives not because newspaper doesn’t work (though it’s ashy) but because all my newspapers are online these days and iPads make for lovely fire starters.

Try a Samsung tablet IMO

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I have several swollen laptop batteries if anyone wants to try them out.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Wasting money if you don't start your coals with waste heat from Bitcoin mining

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oops wrong tab

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Tbh I mainly use the paper bags I get from the grocery store these days in a chimney. It's definitely a bit more ashy, but I always have too many of them around so am never going to not have one.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I got tired of never having paper around so I just started peeling off a little bit of the charcoal bag and using it to light the chimney. It works pretty well and you don't have to think or plan

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Tias posted:

Now now, I'm a busy longbeard and must get the necessary farming and murderizing the wends out of my braids before I can upload my work to your discerning eyes.

Without further hemming, I give you: Auðumbla! - a fitting name, considering she started her life full of cow poo poo!

A regular clay-and-dung wattled smoker, really. We built a skeleton of flexible willow rods, then tucked small 'bricks' of clay out of our pit and stuck them on the skeleton. When it had dried out after a week or so, we put a load of boughs and dung inside, and then burned it with lots of wood - not too many lots, of course, as you'll want the temperatue to rise and fall in a controlled manner, or the core may crack entirely. Here's a picture of the burning, and a look into the stove tower, where you can clearly see long grooves from where the willow skeleton has burned away:

A stump of video here, that shows it with boughs still in: https://imgur.com/ah1ltAn

And here she is in action, five lake trout smoked with plenty of nettles, bishop's weed and some thyme on the coals:

As we can't use any non-period methods, we determined the proper hotsmoking temperature by hand, literally - stick your hand a ways into the stove, and if your hand is prickling, it's between 50-90 degrees C! Also, the fish will tell you: Once they're cooked, they'll turn the whites of their eyes, and if they get too hot, they'll 'open their coat' or lift their tails.

Hey man this is super neat!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
You're welcome! If you have any questions let me know, I can't necessarily answer but then I'll ask my bosses who are crusty 40-year members of the local oven guild :black101:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a separate grilling thread or does this one cover that too

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've never minded grilling questions. I answer them if I can. I've asked a couple myself in here. Unsure if there is a grilling thread.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a separate grilling thread or does this one cover that too

I don't think it really matters. There's been plenty of discussion about sous vide in the thread as well

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tias posted:

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Orvin posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Louisiana pellet smokers? Specifically the SL 700?

I was at Costco today and saw they had a few at $400 and figured it might not be a terrible way to figure out if I have the patience to smoke my own meat. I have no idea how capable it actually is, but I like the idea that you can slide back the drip tray for direct heat to seat meat. If this isn’t a complete piece of garbage, it could replace/supliment my 15 year old Weber spirit that needs new internals soon.

Costco also had a Traeger Silverton 620 for $700 that does include a cover. That is a little bit more than I can justify at impulse level price, unless it is that much better of a device.

The Louisiana grill looks to be pretty bare bones. So I would need to get a few things for it, like a cover (I don’t have covered storage for it), and some sort of wireless thermometer. Neither should set me back big. I figure I would probably use it once or twice a month while learning how to smoke, and hopefully it’s shortcomings shouldn’t be that big of a deal. If I really get into this, I will probably look to replace it with something better in a couple years once I figure out what I like and what I don’t.

TLDR - is a $400 pellet smoker with no frills a bad device to learn on? Is this particular grill a pile of junk?

My local Costco has the Louisiana Grill down to $299 now, I might pick one up and upgrade my small Charbroil smoker.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Buddy is in town for a few days staying over my other buddy’s house. They called me and said if I drag my smoker over tomorrow they’ll buy meat to put in it :gizz:

Plan is to smoke some ribs and salmon. Me and my friend both work from home so hoping for a very chill Thursday tomorrow. Boss is on vacation... so that’s a start.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Buddy is in town for a few days staying over my other buddy’s house. They called me and said if I drag my smoker over tomorrow they’ll buy meat to put in it :gizz:

Plan is to smoke some ribs and salmon. Me and my friend both work from home so hoping for a very chill Thursday tomorrow. Boss is on vacation... so that’s a start.

L I V I N

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
Controlling temperatures on my WSM has been great since I got the fireboard, but it feels like I've had a lot more trouble with meat drying out since I've been using it. My guess is that a lot more volume of air is moving through the smoker with the fan compared to when it was naturally aspirated.

Has anyone else noticed a problem like this, and if so, what did you change to keep it from happening?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You can crack an uncontrolled vent to keep the average temp higher than the setpoint to reduce the amount of time the fan is on if airflow you think that's the issue.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Counterpoint, my billows worked like poo poo until I reread the instructions which said to keep all vents closed and let the fan add air as necessary.

I will add that if you're lazy like me and keep your air probe in the grill 24/7 check it for accuracy every few smokes. I think corrosion builds up on the jack end and throws off my temp reading by a few degrees.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Counter counterpoint, my billows ran like poo poo until I opened a vent. I started off by reading instructions too.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Made some Pepper Stout Beef, added some gorgonzola and corn at the end.

Was delish.

That is all.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Grandito posted:

Controlling temperatures on my WSM has been great since I got the fireboard, but it feels like I've had a lot more trouble with meat drying out since I've been using it. My guess is that a lot more volume of air is moving through the smoker with the fan compared to when it was naturally aspirated.

Has anyone else noticed a problem like this, and if so, what did you change to keep it from happening?

Yeah. Agree. The one brisket I did with the Fireboard fan was dry. After that I used the fan at super high limits and my next one came out good. I’d set it to come on at 200 but also alert me at 205 so I could ensure it didn’t stoke too high. Fireboard still hasn’t nailed down their firmware. I get 20-30 degrees of overshoot every time it try’s to reach back to set point. That being said, it’s hands down the best alerting and tracking system I’ve used.

So we talked about how we light our coals…. How do you light your coals in driving rain? Tryna grill some steaks tonight and I feel super loving paranoid with my BGE under the eaves of my house (lighting coals inside the grill not actually grillling).

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A few months ago I smoked for an entire rainy day, lit the coals under a pop up canopy. My parents used to light their grill under a porch with no issues. I'd be most worried about ashes lighting with newspaper, cardboard, leaves, etc. Lighting fluid isn't an untenable solution either, you just have to wait until it's completely burned off.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I wouldnt worry about it too much. Its not a bonfire. Maybe light the coals inside your garage near the door with the door open. Just pay attention and dont leave it unattended.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I use a patio umbrella over my grill and smoker when it rains. I also use it when it isn't raining to have some sun protection*.

* For me, not the grill and smoker.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

I bought some spare ribs, trimmed them up, hit them with some butt rub, and smoked them with apple and pecan in the weber + slow n sear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Looks very nice. I did ribs last night too, and I think they came out really drat good. 5 hours in the smoker @225ish, let them rest for about an hour in a cooler before serving.

Cooked just the way I like them. Slight pull to the meat, but not fall off the bone. Good mixture of heat and sweet in the rub I make. Had five people over to the house, no ribs left this morning, which both makes me happy and sad.