Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

and janeway was an engineer so there was really no excuse for her doing that poo poo.

Look at this bait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"I need more time."
"Don't make me loving come down there! I'm an engineer! I can do it!"
"Oh gently caress, speed it up guys. You remember what happened last time. I still can't smell coffee without throwing up."

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
"Computer replicate me a monocular that can see through the bulkhead and into anyone's suite on the station."
"Would you like it in red, black, or fancy hot pink?"

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I liked how scotty opens up the warp core to get a better look at it sending geordi into a panic

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

kdrudy posted:

Wait, can you attempt to impregnate someone by teleporting your jizz directly into the uterus?

Also, can you do the reverse as birth control?

Like if all of a sudden you started beaming out fetus' and then threw them at, like, the Jem Hadar would they freak out and say this is too hosed up and leave?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tiberius Christ posted:

I liked how scotty opens up the warp core to get a better look at it sending geordi into a panic

Can you imagine if he just straight up died lol

Lmao

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Infidel Castro posted:

Kirk probably didn't have a clue how half the poo poo worked. He's more interested in fightin' and fuckin'.

Picard seemed to have a lot more understanding of how warp engines and basic systems worked, so fudging the numbers probably wouldn't have worked.

O'Brein was working with some Frankensteined mess of Cardassian and Federation systems, so who the gently caress knows.

Speaking as a former Navy guy, the approach really depends on the background of the CO. All of them know down to the third decimal place the time estimates for their area of expertise but can generally be fudged on other topics. Don't try to bullshit an engineering CO on engineering poo poo but the OPS guys can probably pad out their numbers.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

and janeway was an engineer so there was really no excuse for her doing that poo poo.

Zesty posted:

Look at this bait

I'll bite.

*deep breath*

ACKSHUALLY Janeway was a science officer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There's an entire terrible Voyager episode where Kes almost dies because of some weird alien anomaly thing and Janeway has to take things on faith to solve the problem instead of relying on science.

It's a really boring and bad episode.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

uhhhhh thread title?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

There's an entire terrible Voyager episode where Kes almost dies because of some weird alien anomaly thing and Janeway has to take things on faith to solve the problem instead of relying on science.

The old people heckling her were entertaining though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CainFortea posted:

The old people heckling her were entertaining though.
Yes and one of them was George's mom from Seinfeld

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That just means she knows about the padding trick half of them do

Or, as it's officially known now,, The Boimler Effect.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 10, 2021

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Didn’t Janeway have a dog?

I’m picturing her leaving the dog at home going “I’ll be right back”

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Her and her boyfriend had dogs. I'm assuming that he kept them.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The dogs died in a Cardassian prison camp.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Infidel Castro posted:

Kirk probably didn't have a clue how half the poo poo worked. He's more interested in fightin' and fuckin'.

More interested in filosophysin'. What we know of his background is that before he had a ship assignment, he was an ethics professor at Starfleet Academy who spent his free time reading.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gutcruncher posted:

And now you've made me think of the Futurama episode that always makes everyone cry.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Wasn't Scotty trapped in the ether for like 50 years too?

"It's longer than you think, Geordi! Longer than you think!"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Thinking about the episode of Voyager with the big psychic pitcher plant, and how Naomi was the only one besides seven who didnt get affected, and its explained that it's because she doesnt give a fat gay gently caress about Earth. When you're born into a situation where everyone but you and the dipshit bridge ensign straight up died, and you replaced your own dead self on a clone of the ship, its gotta be real tough to have a normal upbringing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CainFortea posted:

I never saw Geordi as a dick there. Scotty was being kind of lovely at everyone because he was feeling useless. Which is understandable, but Geordi told him straight up that lying to the captain isn't something he is going to do.

Scotty's absolutely right though, and anyone who's done any kind of project work ever will tell you likewise.

If you do it in an hour this time, they'll expect an hour every time. You tell them 2-4 hours, they'll always expect 2-4 hours.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I know it's from a movie not that ep, but Scotty's "Ah. Hello, computer." is the funniest thing in any stat trek imo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What really puts it over the edge is when he uses the mouse as a microphone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Scotty's absolutely right though, and anyone who's done any kind of project work ever will tell you likewise.

If you do it in an hour this time, they'll expect an hour every time. You tell them 2-4 hours, they'll always expect 2-4 hours.

Yeah that was the entire point of a lower decks episode.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Yeah that was the entire point of a lower decks episode.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I always give my best estimate and people seem to be able to cope if it's off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CainFortea posted:

I always give my best estimate and people seem to be able to cope if it's off.

Oh friend, you don't know how lucky you have it then. Always give buffer time because you don't know when someone's going to start expecting that timeframe consistently. Your time is valuable, and there's zero reason you should have to rush something arbitrarily.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

omg look at the baby boy :3:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
buffer time isn't necessary when you have a sane boss who is actually capable of communication, respect and understanding the concept of linear time. so, geordi was fine with simply giving accurate estimates on tng. it often doesn't work so well in real life. or, i suppose, on the cerritos, because that captain is an idiot and not in a comically exaggerated way.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

she does this about every third episode

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
You know, it occured to me that TNG didn't even need a mirror universe episode because like half the cast ended up with evil twins anyways.

I'd like to see an episode where Lore, Thomas Riker, Sela, and Shinzon team up and try to find and/or produce evil replicas of the rest of the Enterprise senior staff to complete their dream team of diabolical doppelgangers.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
If there's nothing wrong with me, there must be something wrong with the universe! *Destroys Universe*

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

buffer time isn't necessary when you have a sane boss who is actually capable of communication, respect and understanding the concept of linear time. so, geordi was fine with simply giving accurate estimates on tng. it often doesn't work so well in real life. or, i suppose, on the cerritos, because that captain is an idiot and not in a comically exaggerated way.

Yep, when I had a good boss, who I would just give what I thought it would take and what I thought it would take if the task turned out to be an unexpected problematic one. She'd plan things as if the 1st may happen but the 2nd was still extremely possible. Projects ran pretty smoothly under her.

Needing to lie about buffer time means a bad boss who doesn't really understand what the difference in amount of time a similar task can be depending on if issues crop up or not. A good boss know how to plan for/be flexible/work around that sort of stuff so you can just talk to them properly about it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Unfortunately 98%of bosses are bad bosses

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Applewhite posted:

Unfortunately 98%of bosses are bad bosses

This is true. Some industries I'd put it at pretty much 100%.

Edit: Some types of not-for-profits/community orgs actually have quite a few good boss, but there is still quite a few incredibly bad/lovely ones out there. Particularly in the larger more corporate ones, but smaller ones are certainly not immune.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 10, 2021

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Danaru posted:

Thinking about the episode of Voyager with the big psychic pitcher plant, and how Naomi was the only one besides seven who didnt get affected, and its explained that it's because she doesnt give a fat gay gently caress about Earth. When you're born into a situation where everyone but you and the dipshit bridge ensign straight up died, and you replaced your own dead self on a clone of the ship, its gotta be real tough to have a normal upbringing

They never bring that up again with her, do they? I know Harry gets his "actually I'm traumatized by this" couplet right before the credits, but otherwise the show's perspective is it was a flawless solution that wrapped everything up in an especially neat bow, right?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I was talking more about customers. I take great care in explaining our delivery windows for example, and correct them every time they say something that sounds like they're assuming a different thing than I suggested. Usually works out better to set proper expectations than to let them assume something incorrect.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CainFortea posted:

I was talking more about customers. I take great care in explaining our delivery windows for example, and correct them every time they say something that sounds like they're assuming a different thing than I suggested. Usually works out better to set proper expectations than to let them assume something incorrect.

Your problem is you've clearly only ever dealt with people who can function as responsible adults and respect you, not customers or a manager who want updates/results NOWNOWNOW like a stubborn toddler. Buffer time isn't about "assuming something incorrect", it's about knowing something can/will run long or go wrong, and having a little extra time to let it get sorted without needing to concern anyone outside of the problem. As far as the customer ever knows, the job/problem/outage got resolved on time, or even earlier than expected, so well done you and they don't need to know about the job actually running long beyond their accurate estimate onsite.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

omg look at the baby boy :3:

omg acid washed jeans :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

betaraywil posted:

They never bring that up again with her, do they? I know Harry gets his "actually I'm traumatized by this" couplet right before the credits, but otherwise the show's perspective is it was a flawless solution that wrapped everything up in an especially neat bow, right?
I read a Voyager novel (I forget why) where a couple of the Voyager crew including Tom Paris get shoved two universes sideways. Tom's all "this sucks" and Harry is all "OH DOES IT NOW. REALLY. YOU DON'T loving SAY."