Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What'll be your angle

I've been thinking about doing deep dives into the backgrounds of notable recurring characters in the paranormal sphere but I'm not sure if that's been done before - folks like Harold Puthoff, quantum Jiu Jitsu sensei Corbell and the guy behind UAPTheory come immediately to mind.

I've been enjoying Our Strange Skies and appreciate that they mostly seem like normal-ish people with decent senses of humor willing to entertain the idea of wild rear end poo poo and feel like that's underrepresented in the sea of insufferable weirdos this stuff attracts.

e: lol kloutchasing snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I want to believe

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

imagine not wanting to believe like buddy what is wrong with you

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Alien Groucho or Guy Fawkes?

Given the hippie pullover guessing the latter but

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

heres a post about a ufo encounter i had that i posted in pyf but was asked to post here also, i didnt know there was a ufo thread

juggalo baby coffin posted:

idk if this is the right thread for it, but i have a photo of a UFO i saw a couple of years ago. I've seen 3 or 4 UFOs in my life, one during the daytime which I'm pretty sure was some kind of experimental human drone or plane that I couldn't identify, and two at night which were just oddly behaving lights moving too rapidly and in too strange a pattern to be either a helicopter or a plane

but this is one i saw at dusk, while I was out walking at the local reservoir. I saw a moving bright light out on the horizon, and I could see that it was passing behind the silhouettes of distant treetops, so I knew it wasn't just like a small firefly or something close up. I took my phone out to take a picture, and after I took it the light slowed down and stopped. The light seemed to get brighter and I felt a really eerie sensation of being watched. then the light died down and just seemed to vanish, i dont know if it was moving away from me in a straight line or if it was fading away, but it left and the sensation stopped.

Ive taken a lot of photos of weird lights in the sky, and the sky in general, so despite the weirdness of the encounter I didn't think much about the photo. When I got home later I found out a close friend had died and that really took my mind off the whole thing.

but recently I was talking about UFOs with a friend and dug up the photo, and noticed something weird:

it's a very large photo, the UFO is just to the right of the sun over the treeline, you can zoom in really far

this is the UFO itself isolated. I had seen it as a bright light in the sky, bright enough and far enough away that I couldn't distinguish the shape behind the light. But on the camera it's a weird, black mass. It looks kinda artifacted, so maybe the phone camera had trouble capturing it, but the discrepancy between what I saw with my eyes and what the camera recorded is very strange.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Thank you op! What color was the light, and can you give a general idea of where you were? Doesn't have to be anything more specific than state/province/whatever

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

heres a post about a ufo encounter i had that i posted in pyf but was asked to post here also, i didnt know there was a ufo thread

thank u for sharing now GET READIN

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

WEH posted:

Thank you op! What color was the light, and can you give a general idea of where you were? Doesn't have to be anything more specific than state/province/whatever

birmingham england, the light was blue-white. i have astigmatism so lights at night tend to starburst in my vision. when it got brighter it got more white

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

birmingham england, the light was blue-white. i have astigmatism so lights at night tend to starburst in my vision. when it got brighter it got more white

Honestly stumped, it's not like anything I've come across. It kinda looks like a cluster of bubbles, which got me all of one hit on NUFORC

NUFORC posted:

Heavy thunderstorm in area (rare event) sky was clear but gray, light rain but sounds of thunder. Object looked like a cluster of bubbles, it was still just hovering but spinning towards my right. It was dark metal grey, no lights or other movement or noise . I got chills and looked away and went back indoors because i got the chills from being startled by such object.

Obviously not a great match, but the bit about it being during a storm made me wonder if what you saw wasn't something akin to ball lightning. It doesn't need a storm to happen, and there are a small amount of reports of luminous bubbles that may be a related phenomena.

Doesn't explain why it only apparently emitted light your eyes could register, though. poo poo's weird

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's definitely a ghost, i think i've seen those types of ghosts in castlevania

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
They said they felt like they were being watched, so my guess is something like this

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

WEH posted:

Honestly stumped, it's not like anything I've come across. It kinda looks like a cluster of bubbles, which got me all of one hit on NUFORC

Obviously not a great match, but the bit about it being during a storm made me wonder if what you saw wasn't something akin to ball lightning. It doesn't need a storm to happen, and there are a small amount of reports of luminous bubbles that may be a related phenomena.

Doesn't explain why it only apparently emitted light your eyes could register, though. poo poo's weird

since checking the photo ive been a lot more weirded out by the incident than i was at the time. at the time it was just a light that i felt was looking at me. the sensation of being observed was quite strong, but i also kind of wrote it off as me like, overreacting mentally to something weird i was seeing. It was very far away from me, basically on the horizon for it to be able to dip behind the trees at the opposite side of the reservoir, so it had to be quite large and quite bright. from my perspective it seemed to be moving in a kind of curly-q, figure-8ish pattern, left and right. i don't know how it was moving on the Z axis, although it could have been coming forward and backwards because it did seem to change in luminosity, but the light hid whatever shape was behind it

ive always had an interest in UFOs, but ive also always been skeptical about whether they're aliens or not. I'm very interested in all the government black projects and secret planes and drones and such. so when I saw this I was like well, maybe the government is just flying around some kind of new vehicle or something. the UK is absolutely covered in air bases, and its a small country so you are never far from one. when it stopped and 'looked' at me i felt its stare and i was kind of worried i was in trouble, like what if i'd taken a picture of something classified and was gonna be in trouble for spying or something.

but like seeing the picture casts the experience in a different light, literally. is there any spectrum of light that our eyes can see that cellphones can't? did it shine a light into my brain somehow? the light was bright and clear, instead of being kind of muted by the haze in the air like the big lights on cranes and tall buildings from the same reservoir, but that could also just be because of how bright it was

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It seems to be a pretty pervasive thing where people describe their mind being affected. Like they'll be unnaturally calm, feel like they're being watched, mind-blank; where they'll go about what they were doing and not think much of it despite it being a highly weird situation etc.

Ratios and Tendency has issued a correction as of 00:32 on Aug 10, 2021

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

since checking the photo ive been a lot more weirded out by the incident than i was at the time. at the time it was just a light that i felt was looking at me. the sensation of being observed was quite strong, but i also kind of wrote it off as me like, overreacting mentally to something weird i was seeing. It was very far away from me, basically on the horizon for it to be able to dip behind the trees at the opposite side of the reservoir, so it had to be quite large and quite bright. from my perspective it seemed to be moving in a kind of curly-q, figure-8ish pattern, left and right. i don't know how it was moving on the Z axis, although it could have been coming forward and backwards because it did seem to change in luminosity, but the light hid whatever shape was behind it

How far away would it have been, assuming it was literally just behind the trees across the reservoir? Clearly I got the scale mixed up, that's way too large for ball lightning. Feeling uneasy/observed is definitely par for the course.

quote:

but like seeing the picture casts the experience in a different light, literally. is there any spectrum of light that our eyes can see that cellphones can't? did it shine a light into my brain somehow? the light was bright and clear, instead of being kind of muted by the haze in the air like the big lights on cranes and tall buildings from the same reservoir, but that could also just be because of how bright it was

The only thing I can think of would be a laser, but if it were that far away I would assume the beam would be wide enough to illuminate both your eyes and your camera, especially if you held it up in front of you to take the picture. Laser light is also distinctive visually, though I haven't had the opportunity to get hit by one from long range so maybe thats different

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Devil's advocate: hot air balloon, or cluster of balloons that got away

e piloted by birds obviously

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

feeling like you’re being watched could be your prehistoric lizard brain using vestigial quantum senses or something cool like that

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Inspector Hound posted:

Devil's advocate: hot air balloon, or cluster of balloons that got away

e piloted by birds obviously

i thought hot air balloon too but i dunno kind of weird looking zoomed in

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i have been asking myself why i didnt look at my own photo of a UFO for two years after taking it, even if i thought it was just gonna be a pic of a generic light in the sky

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m reading the first book from the culture series it’s very ufo thread relevant.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

WEH posted:

How far away would it have been, assuming it was literally just behind the trees across the reservoir? Clearly I got the scale mixed up, that's way too large for ball lightning. Feeling uneasy/observed is definitely par for the course.

The only thing I can think of would be a laser, but if it were that far away I would assume the beam would be wide enough to illuminate both your eyes and your camera, especially if you held it up in front of you to take the picture. Laser light is also distinctive visually, though I haven't had the opportunity to get hit by one from long range so maybe thats different

if it was right behind the trees at the edge of the reservoir it would have been about a kilometer away from me, based on where i was standing. i got the sense that it was further away than that, but thats as close as it could possibly have been

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

this is one of the more disturbing ufo pictures I've seen. It's just really alien bird.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i have been asking myself why i didnt look at my own photo of a UFO for two years after taking it, even if i thought it was just gonna be a pic of a generic light in the sky

i spent many years collecting ufo stories from acquaintances, and the thing people said to me over and over again was "and then we all seemed to promptly forget about it" families rushing outdoors in awe and wonder for something otherworldly only to decide now let us never speak of this again.

folks dont have room for this stuff in hellworld

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Something way more impactful to you happened that day plus... that's just sort of how it goes even for sightings that don't have personal loss as a bookend. People going back to what they were doing and not thinking about their experience for however long is very common.

if it was right behind the trees at the edge of the reservoir it would have been about a kilometer away from me, based on where i was standing. i got the sense that it was further away than that, but thats as close as it could possibly have been

that sucker is indeed big then

WEH has issued a correction as of 01:01 on Aug 10, 2021

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m reading the first book from the culture series it’s very ufo thread relevant.

hell most of them are!
special circumstances...youd think any spacefaring group would have to have such a dept in a populated galaxy

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Was there a house suspended below it?

Just brainstorming. Weird photo, thanks for sharing!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!
all that would be required to explain the light not showing up would be the light source moving or blinking in a manner which allowed the picture to be taken at a moment when the light wasn't shining on the aperture, I think

Dong Swanson
Jan 25, 2010
Could it have been something like this that got loose? Imagine that would look a lot like bubbles with light shining through them.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i spent many years collecting ufo stories from acquaintances, and the thing people said to me over and over again was "and then we all seemed to promptly forget about it" families rushing outdoors in awe and wonder for something otherworldly only to decide now let us never speak of this again.

folks dont have room for this stuff in hellworld

also

https://youtu.be/vJG698U2Mvo

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Dong Swanson posted:

Could it have been something like this that got loose? Imagine that would look a lot like bubbles with light shining through them.

The only tough thing to explain is how light interacted with it, unless it moved in front of that very pretty sunset

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

its pretty great. I gave away my Culture books because I didn't think I'd read them again but now kinda regret that. temple of fuckin light. ill probably just try to get then from the library

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

it was moving fast as gently caress so i dont think it was any type of buoyancy related craft, and the light was super bright and a different colour from the sun

Dong Swanson
Jan 25, 2010
That's really weird then, thanks for sharing it.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Balloons can look really weird in the right lighting conditions - I posted a photo in the thread of some "UFOs" that I'm certain were balloons - but if it was moving fast then who knows. Cool sighting!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I didn't bother with this Underwood tic-tac interview because of Corbell-san but it's actually worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKbYwwwePTQ

I wonder if you could calculate the speed exhibited by the tic-tac based on the maximum tracking speed of his FLIR+how fast it moves off screen.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i just ran the numbers and it comes out to 69 m/s

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

don't know if this is comforting or not, but this is exceptionally common when people relate their UFO stories. whole lotta "and then I went back to sleep" or "i thought it was weird but then i went back to work"

my favorite for this is the tuscumbia space penguins, where a farmer sees ... well, something best described as space penguins land in a field on his farm but before he went over to investigate, he finished up his chores first

i posted my own encounter with strange nighttime lights earlier in the thread and i had the same reaction. saw something weird while driving with friends, pulled over to watch, then we never talked about it again after that

something deep in our brains making that happen

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Azathoth posted:

don't know if this is comforting or not, but this is exceptionally common when people relate their UFO stories. whole lotta "and then I went back to sleep" or "i thought it was weird but then i went back to work"

my favorite for this is the tuscumbia space penguins, where a farmer sees ... well, something best described as space penguins land in a field on his farm but before he went over to investigate, he finished up his chores first

i posted my own encounter with strange nighttime lights earlier in the thread and i had the same reaction. saw something weird while driving with friends, pulled over to watch, then we never talked about it again after that

we can treat mood problems by aiming super magnets at our brains in a specific way, it's not hard to imagine that birds with tech advanced enough to travel between planets have far better magnets

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Azathoth posted:

i think its simply the brain discarding an aberrant thing as a fluke/glitch/burd and discarding it cos thats what the conscious mind does, it filters

BUT things about the event prick other parts of the mind, theres a loose string here that should be tied off so the event is revisited later

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

depending on lots of things, some external to u like this forum, education, career etc etc the revisit may happen sooner or later or never at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

blatman posted:

we can treat mood problems by aiming super magnets at our brains in a specific way, it's not hard to imagine that birds with tech advanced enough to travel between planets have far better magnets

i hope the light i only saw with my eyes was not it shooting my brain with magnets or radiation to make me more stupid