Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Action Pee

e: what a snype :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My entire colony was killed off by fascist robots in gas masks

while trying to pick wild carrots under the shadow of a colossal flying cargo train

That's enough for tonight but IMO game is good and I'm surprised it flew under my radar for an entire year. It's definitely not for everyone but if you think it might be for you, you'll probably like it. It's $25 which is more than I generally pay for games these days but I can tell I will at least get $25 worth of entertainment out of it.

I was wrong about the Roguelite aspects - there's no meta-progression between colonies but the system I mentioned before in that context is used for providing drops of new colonists or resources on later days of an existing colony.

e: it has a pretty flexible decoration system with lots of props you can build which can be freely placed on walls and floors (there's no grid), I didn't make it far enough to be building props other than two cogwheels required to make a workshop but it looks like it will be possible to give your colonies a lot of visual personality - assigning certain room types requires certain types of props be used in the room (like two cogwheels on the wall of a workshop), so there's something to the slow pace of it that makes it a more relaxed game where you spend your time doing things like building and placing props to make your town look nice, leisurely hanging out and poking at resources, etc. As far as I can tell enemies never 'raid' you unless that's what you choose from the event shop, and the only time pressure is delivering requested resources to a maintenance zone by 18:00 every day. Failure to do that lowers your entire colony's morale.

It's not much of a "management" game though, the fiddly stuff isn't in production chains or resource management but in the moment to moment actions of your colonists and the way you build and stuff like that. Still struggling to summarize it but; it's akin to a small-scale Kenshi but with a more sensible building system, more specific direction, and more firmly rooted around building a settlement.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 9, 2021

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

I wonder how many injuries happened before they put up that Crap Golems Are Dangerous sign.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

deep dish peat moss posted:

That's enough for tonight but IMO game is good and I'm surprised it flew under my radar for an entire year. It's definitely not for everyone but if you think it might be for you, you'll probably like it. It's $25 which is more than I generally pay for games these days but I can tell I will at least get $25 worth of entertainment out of it.

It's on fanatical now for -20%, but if you get it that way you won't be able to refund. How would you compare it to Kenshi in terms of jank and stuff to do? I'm alllllllmost ready to pull the trigger on it.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
City of Gangsters released!

82apps
Jan 6, 2014

Developer of Factory Town, Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball, etc

smarxist posted:

I've kinda been ignoring it, but is "Happiness" essentially the game speed throttle in Factory Town? you only have pause/unpause, and happiness raises productivity, so i assume that makes deployed laborers gather/move faster and wagons/buildings to move/produce faster, yeah?

Yep, happiness is a speed multiplier for any buildings within each Town Center's borders. Honestly it's not very well balanced at the moment and you can get by without paying too much attention to it.

You'll primarily get progression by focusing on Coin Boosters (and selling enough goods to feed those coin boosters), Town Specialties, upgrading your houses & assigning extra workers, and automating whatever you can with belts & chutes to free up even more workers.

Right now happiness is too localized - it is calculated per-Town-Center, yet it's prohibitively difficult to supply the huge variety of items to a different parts of the map. So the work required to get a 2nd Town Center reasonably happy is daunting. My plan is to calculate happiness instead based on % supply of some subset of items, and probably make it a global effect again. Then, multiple Town Centers will be viable.

Regarding the terraforming: yes, in Build / Tools you'll see terrain modification tools in custom games. But, they are disabled in the campaign as I want to require players to work within the terrain constraints of the maps.

Also, I'm hoping to introduce lower-tech versions of conveyor belts & rails so the player can have the fun of automating stuff earlier in the game, and that will also help out the worker traffic issues in the early campaigns.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

It's on fanatical now for -20%, but if you get it that way you won't be able to refund. How would you compare it to Kenshi in terms of jank and stuff to do? I'm alllllllmost ready to pull the trigger on it.

Despite having played a lot of Kenshi I'm not the most appraised at what all you can really do in it - there's less to do in Ragnorium but what's there is more coherently focused around being a colony builder, the "questing" side of things is much simpler than in Kenshi and there's not a vast open world to travel across, just this large sector map that you're colonizing.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

pokchu posted:

City of Gangsters released!

i just finished the tutorial and whew, my head is kinda spinning at all there's to do but i think i got a pretty good grasp on it. they pretty much modeled every aspect of racketeering/bootlegging and the social trust/ethnicity stuff you might have encountered on the streets and gamified it, and there seems to be a lot of events and random poo poo flying around going on. my only hope is that you can quickly get up to a good clip of automation with additional goons doing all the gopher work because by the end of the tut it was getting a bit tedious

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

smarxist posted:

i just finished the tutorial and whew, my head is kinda spinning at all there's to do but i think i got a pretty good grasp on it. they pretty much modeled every aspect of racketeering/bootlegging and the social trust/ethnicity stuff you might have encountered on the streets and gamified it, and there seems to be a lot of events and random poo poo flying around going on. my only hope is that you can quickly get up to a good clip of automation with additional goons doing all the gopher work because by the end of the tut it was getting a bit tedious

Yeah, that's the game's big issue. There is far too much gruntwork. It felt like playing Factorio without conveyor belts.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I finished the tutorial and started a new game, it's honestly easier to wrap your head around the second time when you aren't constantly dismissing dialog boxes that are popping open. I've only got 5 corners so far so still small time but I like the Anno-ish production chain stuff. There was a brief mention of automated truck routes in the tutorial before moving on, so I have to assume that like Anno once we have enough trucks and employees that you can basically set up trade routes to automate the delivering of resources. Definitely seems cool so far but I too am curious to see how deep this goes because jesus christ there are a lot of systems going on here.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, from my experience be careful of automating too soon, though - you need to have enough of a cash buffer that your employee can get paid throughout the run, and enough of a supply buffer that if he’s a slow driver and his route takes more than a few turns you don’t miss your only production for a month. I think you really want to automate only once you’ve got a second still running.

But crashing and burning is how we learn, right? :)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Once I had like 4-5 centers of operations, I hired someone to just run between them all to collect protection money and it more than paid for itself. I was still running around doing quests and sales myself though. Didn't get very far yet.

Edit: I don't like how if one place is working on the slow corner recruitment, it locks me out of throwing down a chunk of change to outright buy a corner. I haven't figured out the best way to expand yet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Seems like you can really get screwed over early on if you don't have the right producers/consumers around you when you start out in City of Gangsters. I restarted after failing pretty horribly my first time around and this time I have a nice homemade beer loop going right from the beginning that has helped give me a steady income to get started with.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
yeah i just gave City of Gangsters a spin and while i think the relationship management in particular is really cool this just isn't the setting for me and there is too much micro, i can see why some people love it though

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just got my first automated homemade beer circuit and it's definitely less annoying when you are passively earning some income. It becomes really easy to stall out if you don't have enough money to keep the supplies flowing, which is why I recommend just starting over if you have a bad starting area. Still not quite sure how much depth there'll ultimately be here outside of having to deal with the giant web of gangsters once you become a big operation but I'm not hating this so far. Actually I'm finding the loop of securing resources for the different operations pretty neat and the idea of possibly being able to automate more as I expand more is a cool concept.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

A little further into Factory Town and I guess it’s a decent enough time sink. The terrain elevation system combined with terrible autopathing when you lay belts/chutes/roads and spending 20 minutes trying to make road ramps over one spot is infuriating though.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

drunken officeparty posted:

A little further into Factory Town and I guess it’s a decent enough time sink. The terrain elevation system combined with terrible autopathing when you lay belts/chutes/roads and spending 20 minutes trying to make road ramps over one spot is infuriating though.

I usually make the map completely flat in game creation settings to avoid most of this, road ramping I usually just use page up to raise it up like 20 squares and then you can drag it through the sky, trying to compact ramp at ground level is chaos.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

drunken officeparty posted:

I’ve found autopathing to be reasonably intelligent. If you build a pillar it’ll create ramps up to it for you if possible in the space you provide. If you draw it across two high points, it’ll build a floating bridge.

Admittedly, it does default to ramping down to the lowest elevation if you don’t give it a reason not to, and it won’t automatically ramp over other paths/conveyors/chutes.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the trade-off in Factory Town is the flexibility of the system as a whole, it's pretty impressive what you can do with the differnt blocks, pillars only, pillars and platform, different ramps, etc.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You can use Tab when building a road or rail or whatever to switch between all the support pieces which I found to be really helpful when building ramped roads and stuff.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
While factory town buildings only output if the conveyor/flume is level with the base of the building, you can pull items out of the building with the grabber from ~3 levels up - about roof level. Buildings will also accept input up to that height as well. It feels weird to have suspended conveyors everywhere but it's better than on the ground where it blocks cart travel. Building auto-output feels like a somewhat irrelevant part of the game that stuck around from early designs as you get grabbers almost immediately.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 10, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Played about ~5 hours of City of Gangsters today and really like it so far. It seems simple at first glance because the supply chains are simple, but keeping a steady supply is hard so you're spinning lots of plates. There's micromanagement for sure but as you expand and get more employees running delivery routes you don't have to do everything anymore which is nice. If I had a complaint it's that I really wish there was some better dialogue, or none at all. It's all just the same poo poo so you end up mashing through every conversation and you will be doing it a lot.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So are fronts in City of Gangsters solely for extortion rackets? I'd prefer to just make my money selling hooch and not pissing off the locals.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

toasterwarrior posted:

So are fronts in City of Gangsters solely for extortion rackets? I'd prefer to just make my money selling hooch and not pissing off the locals.

They're also for doing ops to expand your influence/corners, usually at a fixed cost monthly. Ideally what you'd want to do is establish a front at an edge corner, start doing influence expansion for X dollars, then find at least one business to extort to cover the cost of X dollars and maybe make a small profit (it's small, so you can just let it sit there and accumulate and collect it some time if you happen to swing by, at least at first, i don't know how large of a portion of your income it can become if you specialize)

the starting trait that lets you extort with less heat/frustration seems like a really good one (also the building's are cheaper one), in my current game i have 2 corners expanding influence at a cost of $18 a month and each are covered by 1 business paying a tithe of $25 monthly and they're not even really mad about it

i'm thinking about restarting though, my first game was trash, i was in like a residential cul-de-sac with nobody to sell to, this one is barely better, it seems worth re-rolling a few times until you get a decent set up with at least a few people around you who purchase your hooch.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thank you for the answer; yeah it looks like you need fronts to increase crew capacity and in any case extortion with the right bonus/traits is fairly harmless. I'd like to suss out how far a potential front can expand but I can't find the indicator; at the very least I'd like a way to measure the range and pick the best spots to establish fronts since they do get pretty pricey.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Patron comes out in 5 hours and looks interesting, anyone tried the demo?

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 10, 2021

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
City of Gangsters: On the Detroit map, is always no bridge across the river?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

toasterwarrior posted:

Thank you for the answer; yeah it looks like you need fronts to increase crew capacity and in any case extortion with the right bonus/traits is fairly harmless. I'd like to suss out how far a potential front can expand but I can't find the indicator; at the very least I'd like a way to measure the range and pick the best spots to establish fronts since they do get pretty pricey.

A front can expand one intersection in each direction from its intersection into space you don’t own. So if you establish a front in a T-intersection next to your starting location, it will expand twice.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

pokchu posted:

City of Gangsters: On the Detroit map, is always no bridge across the river?

correct. each map has its own gimmick, the detroit map gimmick is that you eventually establish contacts in canada and you can smuggle canadian whiskey across the border via boats/teleportation

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

toasterwarrior posted:

. I'd like to suss out how far a potential front can expand but I can't find the indicator; at the very least I'd like a way to measure the range and pick the best spots to establish fronts since they do get pretty pricey.

The icon below the main one for the front that is like 4 blue/white squares indicates how far it can expand. The squares all turn blue when all the adjacent corners are taken over.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the answers, guys! On that note, gently caress I'm also restarting because I blew my third building on a backroom wine distillery without realizing that while I had access to grape concentrate, it was actually looking for proper brick wine as an ingredient. Real stupid move on my part there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
City of Gangsters is oddly scratching my itch for The Guild and Patrician despite on closer analysis there's almost nothing in common despite some surface level overlap of logistics and buying and selling.

It's much more a game about market development and there's a really satisfying feel of expansion as you probe your friends and world for new suppliers or customers. I don't think there's another game that does business development in quite that way. Although another random itch it's scratching is Weedcraft because of the boardgame feel and mechanics around finding and expanding markets.

I do wish there was a little more info on the standard view without going into overlays every move of every turn. 3 turns after finishing the tutorial where they graciously give you a truck and a gun, I loaded it up with a month production of beer, ended on a hot corner, and got it all confiscated by a cop.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Mindustry felt like a discount (and worse) creeper world. If you like that style of gameplay that's building but heavily focused on tower defense, try creeper world 3: arc enternal. It was only $6 and I'm not going to refund it, but it's a little janky for my tastes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zedprime posted:

I do wish there was a little more info on the standard view without going into overlays every move of every turn. 3 turns after finishing the tutorial where they graciously give you a truck and a gun, I loaded it up with a month production of beer, ended on a hot corner, and got it all confiscated by a cop.

Yes this is a big issue of mine too. I wish it was possible to mark "favorites" on the map or something to remember where all the suppliers are I'm buying from at a glance without having to open up the overlay and search for the item. Make the icons bigger if you interact with it more often or is one of your safehouses or something. Everything just starts to blend together and it's basically up to me to remember where stuff is if I don't want to use the overlay every time.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Has anyone figured out how to take over rival territory in City of Gangsters yet? I never saw an option to demand a local hooligan to surrender to me, and when I've killed them I can loot their storehouses but their territories stay running and the businesses in them refuse to deal with me because they're still scared of crossing the dead hooligan.

Also, bribing the local cop seems to be priority #1 when you have cash, because it keeps you from having all of your stuff stolen and also gives you access to a billy club which is a great early weapon.

Edit: Also, holy poo poo, there are reports that let me click through everyone who wants to join the racket, I no longer have to go business to business and interview everyone to see potential gang members

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

skeleton warrior posted:

Edit: Also, holy poo poo, there are reports that let me click through everyone who wants to join the racket, I no longer have to go business to business and interview everyone to see potential gang members

Oh god thank you for this

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I had a troublemaker territory with no troublemaker in it and the territory hung out for a few turns before disappearing, so it may just take a bit of time for it to go away if there's nobody left running it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a way to do something like "return to step 1 if empty" in the truck routes? Trying to figure out the best way to take crocks of beer and sell at one of 4 different locations and it's not really working with step 1 being 'pick up the crocks' and step 2,3,4,5 being 'sell at 2, 3, 4, 5' because they're still visiting all the other locations even when they're empty. I'm just not sure of the most efficient way to set up a beer delivery loop yet.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Communist Bear posted:

Patron comes out in 5 hours and looks interesting, anyone tried the demo?

I tried it during the demo festival, it's definitely a Banished clone with a tech tree and actual currency for trading and upgrade costs, but that's exactly what I wanted out of it and it seemed pretty polished and playable. There's more fiddly bits to it (Governmental Decrees, satisfaction from satisfying different needs) but the demo doesn't really let you play long enough to get there, at least not on my first attempt before I knew it had a time limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pretty wild reading the reviews/discussions for City of Gangsters because there are apparently a lot of people who bought this sight unseen based on the name alone because there are so many complaints about there not being prostitution, or casinos, or better combat, etc. when the store page pretty explicitly spells it out that this is about having a bootlegging dynasty. Seems like a lot of disappointed people that this is not Omerta 2 or "Gangster crusader kings" when it was never really trying to be.