Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Anyone can go to Paris and steal the one true kilogram if they really want to. It's a physical chunk of metal locked in vault.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Aug 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Re: eating various foods like an apple, the first time I ate a kiwi, someone gave one to me & I took a bite out of it like an apple. They were horrified, but kiwis taste weird & wrong unless they have skin on them.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Long hair on guys is immensely cuter than short, or worse, an undercut with a long top like is fashionable today. Gimme an Aragorn lookin dude.

Obviously you don't hang out with metalheads, otherwise you would think this opinion was quite popular.

Disco Pope posted:

Long hair is cool, but mine grows out instead of down. Guys like me are massively underrepresented in Fantasy.

Fros are extremely underrated.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The whole concept of date and time and measurement of all of them are not the same and have so many different permutations that it is really interesting.

But the metric ones generally do quite well.

I like cogs and springs and gears on things but so much of "steam punk" is unremitting trash that I hate myself for even liking that bit.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Imperial measurements are just straight up better since exclaiming how fast a car is going in metric makes you sound like a dork

Also people wonder how much influence a person's height has on their opportunities but telling anyone your height in cm instantly puts you in the "short person" category no matter how tall you actually are

Also 5 of the 7 khdmdcm's are stupid and I'm assuming never get used. Like who is going to order a deciliter of something. Hey Luigi I threw that metric brick eight dekameters and had a very metric stroke

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I think to some extent, the strongest argument against us customary/for metric is that if you don't prefer metric, you're on the same side of the debate as Manager Hoyden, and if that doesn't convince you you're wrong, nothing will.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

All joking aside, I honestly have questions on what sort of person has an actual opinion on the merits of a system of measurement

That seems like the sort of thing any decent school system would have wedgied out of a person by the age of ten

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Manager Hoyden posted:

All joking aside, I honestly have questions on what sort of person has an actual opinion on the merits of a system of measurement

That seems like the sort of thing any decent school system would have wedgied out of a person by the age of ten
Actually the it was the education system that gave me opinions. I had to learn imperial units in university in aerospace courses because Americans still use them, and they suck to actually use for some serious scientific / engineering purposes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Manager Hoyden posted:

To me it's mainly annoying when people act like one is inherently rational and smart when in actuality the thing you know is the only rational one for you to use. Denmark uses base ten for all unit measurements but counts in a garbage nonsense insane system where half of a tred is 20 more than tredive and 10 less than a treds or something like that. In russian, you count in base ten, but specifically when counting objects in the genitive case, 1-4 is still singular and you need 5+ to switch to plural. Our calendar starts days at sundown in the evening instead of an arbitrary midnight based on arbitrarily gauging distance from England.

None of this leads to cartoonish accidents.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

American here, and I'm always surprised when I encounter someone who can't seem to use either measurement system interchangeably in day-to-day life, since you're going to encounter both of them all the freaking time.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
"About half an inch" is a cm and "about half a mile" is a km. Easy.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In russian, you count in base ten, but specifically when counting objects in the genitive case, 1-4 is still singular and you need 5+ to switch to plural.

not quite, one of something is singular, then two to four of something is the first kind of plural and five plus is the second kind of plural. it's kinda weird. incidentally, if you want to say "a couple/triple/quadriple of <whatever>" you have to use the second kind of plural, which doesn't help

e: oh, and this generally applies only to nominative case, to make it just a bit more confusing to non-native speakers :v: with the rest of the cases, the plural generally behaves as you'd expect

e2: another weird thing in russian is that you use the same logic when talking about 21 things, 42 things, 53 things, 114 things, etc. as when talking about 1, 2, 3 or 4 things. so you don't say "21 houses", you say "21 house", even when you mean multiple houses, for example

nurmie has a new favorite as of 17:27 on Aug 10, 2021

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

nurmie posted:

not quite, one of something is singular, then two to four of something is the first kind of plural and five plus is the second kind of plural. it's kinda weird. incidentally, if you want to say "a couple/triple/quadriple of <whatever>" you have to use the second kind of plural, which doesn't help

My cousins in Chicago say " a couple two three" (actually more like "a couple two tree"). I don't think it's the same thing, but they couldn't explain why the hell it's a thing there.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
In the South you'll hear "a couple few" for an indeterminate number of 2-5 things.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Manager Hoyden posted:

Also 5 of the 7 khdmdcm's are stupid and I'm assuming never get used. Like who is going to order a deciliter of something. Hey Luigi I threw that metric brick eight dekameters and had a very metric stroke

yeah, unlike imperial where all of the measurements are used all the time

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

We all speak standard American up here in Maine so I have no hat in this ring.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fashionable Jorts posted:

yeah, unlike imperial where all of the measurements are used all the time

Yes but metric measurements are an infinite set of multiples and divisors of ten. The number of these that are useful are finite, and as a percentage it approaches zero asymptotically. Therefore you need a differential calculus textbook to describe how useless the metric system is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Anyone can go to Paris and steal the one true kilogram if they really want to. It's a physical chunk of metal locked in vault.

IIRC they redefined the kilogram in terms of natural constants a few years ago to address this crippling vulnerability.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yes but metric measurements are an infinite set of multiples and divisors of ten. The number of these that are useful are finite, and as a percentage it approaches zero asymptotically. Therefore you need a differential calculus textbook to describe how useless the metric system is.

There are only 20 recognized prefixes, and I guarantee that decimeter is used more often than a barelycorn lol

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PHUO if you don't know how to use both Imperial and Metric I assume you had a poo poo education and/or are too lazy to be bothered with simple conversion math, 99% of which you can just Google, and making GBS threads on imperial is for dorks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Contrary to what script-writers think, the more eccentricities a fictional character has, the less interesting they become.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

We need to bring back ostracism.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

We need to bring back ostracism.

Won't work the same now that Amazon exists.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Lotta words being put out on the last page to justify a lovely crap bad rear end in a top hat measurement system. It even has colonialism in its name - "Imperial".

Metric: Everything aligned to tenths and hundreds. Makes halving and quartering and thirding really easy. Can instantly convert between centimetres, millimetres, snd meters -- or grams and kilogrammes, or millilitres and litres, within a fraction of a second by moving a decimal point. You dont have to convert between a kilometer and a megameter or nanometer because you can just add a point and some zeros.

Imperial: lovely. Everything is 1/12, oh except when it isn't. A furlong is 660 feet???? A foot is 12 inches but a yard is 3 feet?? A mile is 5,280 feet???? 1760 yards??? Who the gently caress uses this?? WHY would you use that because who even has time to remember or look up anything?? Why do you have to convert between sizes that rely on the same measurements?? :wtc:

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Aug 11, 2021

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Metric is also fantastic because its easy to combine different units.

1L of water is 1kg, and 10cm³

Whereas a gallon of water is "about" 8.3 pounds and 231 inches³.

Good luck with that math.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah that daily problem, converting gallons to pounds.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ngl I thought a gallon of water was seven pounds this whole time, and it's really my main point of reference for how heavy poo poo is

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Base 10 is objectively inferior to base 12 don’t @ me

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Why do you people need to divide and multiply by ten all the time

Like what exists regularly in multiples of ten other than your fingers and toes

Reigning champ for counting your body parts, system of the year 1670

You have a dekafinger congrats

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah that daily problem, converting gallons to pounds.

We get it, you never do your own shopping.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

We get it, you never do your own shopping.

"I'll take 8lbs of milk and a gallon of potatoes please."

This is the reality of metric users everywhere. The ability to order fluids in cubic centimeters because it's easy to convert.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Guys I just tried out the metric system and it is so easy to tell how much a specifically measured volume of water weighs

You multiply it by a number and that number ends in a zero instead of a 4. It saves so much finger travel on the calc app

This changes everything

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PHUO: yes the british imperial system is dumb and arbitrary, but it's vastly more dumb that "lol murricans" is the thing when using a single system for all everyday uses is better than a mix. In anglo Canada you measure your height in feet and inches but a distance is kilometres, temperature on an oven is fahrenheit but the outdoors is celsius, food comes in grams but everything else is pounds- that's vastly more baffling and illogical than in the US. People, often americans themselves who can't fathom the actual distance a kilometre is but self-loathe into American Exceptionalism But It's Bad, I'm The Only Smart American, need to get over it. Exactly one failed satellite crashing because two idiots couldn't read "in" or "cm" before sending it into space does not mean most of the US population is getting into accidents constantly because no one can comprehend converting pints into gallons.

The pyramids were built to exacting mathematical specifications while measuring units in "eh, roughly an average guy's wingspan"

AFAIK it wasn't even a case of that. The computer math program they used for their calculations misinterpreted 'm' as meter/mile when it was supposed to be the opposite, so it was just a really unfortunate error.

also jesus i work as an engineer in aerospace and i don't even convert measurements as much as y'all seem to.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

"hmm this shelf I built says its rated to 1000kg capacity, I know that a 2L of pop weighs 2kg, so that means just shy of 500 bottles before its at a risk of collapse"

"hmm this recipe asks for 500ml , but my liquid measuring cup is dirty, oh I can use the scale.. 500g, there we go!"

"hmm I dont know how much this barrel can carry, but my measuring tape says its about 60cm wide and 100cm tall, oh cool it can hold about 280L of water"

Nope, no practical applications whatsoever to be able to do conversions in your head, none.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Why do you people need to divide and multiply by ten all the time

Like what exists regularly in multiples of ten other than your fingers and toes

Arabic numerals do. That's it, that's the whole reason metric is better than imperial, but it's one hell of a reason nonetheless.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

i love my pop shelf where i store my 500 2l bottles of mountain dew and nothing else

gotta always have some hand, y'know

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

i love my pop shelf where i store my 500 2l bottles of mountain dew and nothing else

gotta always have some hand, y'know

Some of us have jobs that require the practical application of math.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Some of us have jobs that require the practical application of math.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

"hmm this shelf I built says its rated to 1000kg capacity, I know that a 2L of pop weighs 2kg, so that means just shy of 500 bottles before its at a risk of collapse"

"hmm this recipe asks for 500ml , but my liquid measuring cup is dirty, oh I can use the scale.. 500g, there we go!"

"hmm I dont know how much this barrel can carry, but my measuring tape says its about 60cm wide and 100cm tall, oh cool it can hold about 280L of water"

Nope, no practical applications whatsoever to be able to do conversions in your head, none.

I have never once encountered someone who figured out how much water they had by weighing it

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I only drink dense sugar laden syrups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

I have never once encountered someone who figured out how much water they had by weighing it

I know I've been half assing sticking up for imperial measurements, but we did that all the time at the bakery I worked at. We used metric for almost everything there simply because it was easier.

But you'll take my miles and inches from day to day life from my cold dead hands!