Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Some good heron at Kentucky Dam this week.

Fishing Buddies by B. B., on Flickr

Waiting out the Rain by B. B., on Flickr

Great Blue Heron by B. B., on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

White-fronted bee eater, Merops bullockoides.
by Sneeze Party, on Flickr

This is the best bird photo that I have ever produced. He was getting grubs and throwing them up in the air for himself to catch. This is at the San Diego Zoo.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Hauling in the biggest catch I've seen so far

"I should have used a condom"

Taking a well-deserved drink

I went earlier than normal one morning, and maybe overdid it. ISO 51200, presented sans denoise

Spread eagle

Baby also held their own against osprey attacks

vessbot fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 8, 2021

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Whoa, you all are posting really great stuff! I went to a birding spot last weekend and saw far more lizards than birds. Is lizarding a thing?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DorianGravy posted:

Whoa, you all are posting really great stuff! I went to a birding spot last weekend and saw far more lizards than birds. Is lizarding a thing?

It’s called herping.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i gasped

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

:love::keke: Wood ducks definitely out-cute mallards, both adults and chicks. But seriously, I'm touched that someone would have an emotional reaction to a photo of mine.

Guys, I got the pass of a lifetime!

This one's not (software) cropped. 1.6 crop sensor at 400mm

vessbot fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 10, 2021

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

vessbot posted:

:love::keke: Wood ducks definitely out-cute mallards, both adults and chicks. But seriously, I'm touched that someone would have an emotional reaction to a photo of mine.

Guys, I got the pass of a lifetime!

This one's not (software) cropped. 1.6 crop sensor at 400mm

Great stuff, nice work I need to take a trip to Scotland to see eagles again.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Couple from NZ

Tui tussle by Marc, on Flickr

kokako by Marc, on Flickr

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Raikyn posted:

Couple from NZ

Tui tussle by Marc, on Flickr

Killer moment! Also I looked at your Flickr, and :hfive: at the mechanical birds inclusion.

jarlywarly posted:

Great stuff, nice work I need to take a trip to Scotland to see eagles again.

Thank you. I'm blessed by this nest being right there in a suburb park a 10 minute drive from home, across a picnic area and perfectly lit by the AM sun. And the eagles preferring to face and take off towards us most of the time. Around fledging time, I spent an overboard amount of time there, almost fancying myself as being in one of those "live with the animals in nature" situations... but with the ability to order Grubhub and pee in a bathroom with soap. Now I'm kinda burned out on that, and work has been taking some more of my mornings again. Maybe next year again, with a better lens? Or this winter, at a few sites that the other regulars at the park gave me some tips on...

Anyway, how bout some video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QrgwPALhts

And, to get the thread a little more alive again, I'll join VelociBacon's idea to expand a bit into "animals that fly"...

vessbot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 29, 2021

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Been lot's of Anna's Hummingbirds around my neck of the woods recently

Female or perhaps juvenille male? at a local park

Checking me out

This dude has laid claim to my back yard and chases anyone off who dares drink from HIS feeders.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

vessbot posted:

Killer moment! Also I looked at your Flickr, and :hfive: at the mechanical birds inclusion.

Thank you. I'm blessed by this nest being right there in a suburb park a 10 minute drive from home, across a picnic area and perfectly lit by the AM sun. And the eagles preferring to face and take off towards us most of the time. Around fledging time, I spent an overboard amount of time there, almost fancying myself as being in one of those "live with the animals in nature" situations... but with the ability to order Grubhub and pee in a bathroom with soap. Now I'm kinda burned out on that, and work has been taking some more of my mornings again. Maybe next year again, with a better lens? Or this winter, at a few sites that the other regulars at the park gave me some tips on...

Anyway, how bout some video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QrgwPALhts

And, to get the thread a little more alive again, I'll join VelociBacon's idea to expand a bit into "animals that fly"...

we do have a macro thread for your insect photo posting needs.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Critterquest in GBS would also love to see more bugs!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
On Saturday I saw a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird in my buddy's backyard and on Monday people were photographing some of them in a nearby park that I like to go to. Went there yesterday afternoon, couldn't find any, but did find 3 Great Horned Owls (was only able to photograph 2)

Great Horned Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

The Blue Jay in the background chased the two out of the woods through a path clearing I was in and they flew by me within like 15 feet which was loving incredible

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

neckbeard posted:

On Saturday I saw a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird in my buddy's backyard and on Monday people were photographing some of them in a nearby park that I like to go to. Went there yesterday afternoon, couldn't find any, but did find 3 Great Horned Owls (was only able to photograph 2)

The Blue Jay in the background chased the two out of the woods through a path clearing I was in and they flew by me within like 15 feet which was loving incredible

Goddammit! Love them all, but the last couple were fantastic. gently caress you, man.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

torgeaux posted:

Goddammit! Love them all, but the last couple were fantastic. gently caress you, man.

ditto. I literally sighed dejected after seeing those - drat how awesome.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
Great Owl pics. Agreed on the last two being the best.

Content:

Red Shouldered Hawk circled around me a few times while on a walk the other day.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
dang y'all, these are great.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Not a sick predator bird or nothing - but here's a cool heron with a twisted neck that makes it look like it's wearing a neat scarf

I mostly shoot with my Tamrom 150-600mm but with the Aperature as big as it can get (although above was f 9.5)... Should I join the f8 crew I've read about here with a d5600 sensor??

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 10, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Slotducks posted:

Not a sick predator bird or nothing - but here's a cool heron with a twisted neck that makes it look like it's wearing a neat scarf

I mostly shoot with my Tamrom 150-600mm but with the Aperature as big as it can get (although above was f 9.5)... Should I join the f8 crew I've read about here with a d5600 sensor??

Yeah we all would rather shoot that lens wide open but it's not good enough, you have to stop it down to f/8 to get it sort-of sharp. It doesn't matter too much what your sensor is because this is all happening in front of it.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah we all would rather shoot that lens wide open but it's not good enough, you have to stop it down to f/8 to get it sort-of sharp. It doesn't matter too much what your sensor is because this is all happening in front of it.

Oh man - that's good insight. Thank you!

I'll go shoot some birds probably this weekend and maybe it'll turn out even better!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Slotducks posted:

Oh man - that's good insight. Thank you!

I'll go shoot some birds probably this weekend and maybe it'll turn out even better!

Where you might get bit a little is that you'll have to bump your ISO in the camera in order to still get fast enough shutter speeds for birds (with the lens now stopped down to f/8). This is definitely a place where the quality of the sensor in the camera is going to make a big difference. I tend to shoot around ISO 600-800 to allow me a 1/1000 shutter speed at f/8. If you're shooting something like a heron standing there you can probably bring your iso and shutter speeds down a bit.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Jerm324 posted:

Content:

Red Shouldered Hawk circled around me a few times while on a walk the other day.

always so CHATTY

look at that screamy boy

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jerm324 posted:

Content:

I also was screamed at but I had tall brush between me and the hawk (falcon?) and couldn't get a clear shot.

Ended up it was yelling at someone behind me, story of my life.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Raptor Party!

Kestrel Juvenile by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

got this one featured on a big bird photo ig account this week and glad to see that people are liking it :)

I just started taking bird photos this year and it has definitely been fun to learn about nature and photography at the same time. Thinking about getting a sony 200-600mm next year and spending even more time in the woods.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I also was screamed at but I had tall brush between me and the hawk (falcon?) and couldn't get a clear shot.

Ended up it was yelling at someone behind me, story of my life.

Northern Harrier looks like, very pretty!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Sorbus posted:

got this one featured on a big bird photo ig account this week and glad to see that people are liking it :)

I just started taking bird photos this year and it has definitely been fun to learn about nature and photography at the same time. Thinking about getting a sony 200-600mm next year and spending even more time in the woods.

Congrats, awesome pic

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Ruby-Throated Hummingbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Thank you all for the feedback re: the Tamron 150-600 - I shot this morning in f8 and I'm so stoked with how some of these photos turned out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Slotducks posted:

Thank you all for the feedback re: the Tamron 150-600 - I shot this morning in f8 and I'm so stoked with how some of these photos turned out.

Looks good! Now I want sushi.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Those raptors are rad! I keep trying to get good photos of Osprey fishing at my local birding spot. No luck yesterday, but the sunflowers are blooming, and I spent most of focusing on that.

Jerm324
Aug 3, 2007
KITE BATTLE!

A juvenile kite grappled with an adult on my regular walking trail. I've seen them battle before, but this time they got close enough to get decent pictures.

The victor says: You want some too?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Incredible

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Jerm324 posted:

KITE BATTLE!

A juvenile kite grappled with an adult on my regular walking trail. I've seen them battle before, but this time they got close enough to get decent pictures.

The victor says: You want some too?

unreal, great set.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Grey Jay by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Great tit from June, used this to practice blurring background in photoshop.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Least Flycatcher by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Mourning Warbler by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Western Tanager by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Yellow-Rumped Warbler by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Orange-Crowned Warbler by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Tennessee Warbler by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Yellow Warbler by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Osprey by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier