Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I love Hellions and while I have a feeling it'll be over after Inferno I never ever want it to end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I like that Sunfire was holding back, he wasn't even winded after that.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Wait, so Trial of Magneto and Inferno will be overlapping? That’s kinda weird.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

nemesis_hub posted:

Wait, so Trial of Magneto and Inferno will be overlapping? That’s kinda weird.

Yes, framing Magneto for murdering his daughter definitely wouldn't in any way be beneficial to a queer shapeshfiting terrorist who has vowed to destroy he and Charles unless they bring back her wife.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

beneficial to a queer shapeshfiting terrorist who has vowed to destroy he and Charles unless they bring back her wife.

Hey leave me out of this

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Trial of Magneto and Inferno are going to overlap, in the sense that ToM is coming out August-December, and Inferno is launching at the end of September and presumably wrapping up in December.

Neither of these (from anything announced thus far) are "events" and no other X-Men books (through October at least) have been identified as "Trial of Magneto" or "Inferno" crossover/tie-in issues. I'm sure all of the X-Men books will affect each other/interconnect, but I'm not sure having both of these come out at once is any stranger or more confusing/onerous than having Giant Size X-Men and Marauders coming out at the same time, or X-Men and SWORD both coming out in the same month.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Onslaught Revelation one shot is also coming out in September. The problems seem to be really ramping up.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I do hope this... well, if not this "status quo," than at least this sense of commitment and focus to the mutant line, continues for a while. X-Men comics were SO bad for SO long before this, with such a sense of middling writers (sorry Bunn and Guggenheim, not sorry Rosenberg) blundering over each others' feet, it has been so great having a whole line of books which are creatively satisfying and feel actually coordinated in meaningful ways.

If I'm not mistaken Si Spurrier has mentioned having another ongoing lined up for the x-office after Way of X and it would seem kind of odd to establish all this Mars stuff only to sweep it off the board a handful of months later, right?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I imagine this is for as long as Hickman is the guy in charge, and he's probably got a way that they can leave it as is after he leaves, or a way to reset it.

But it seems like they understand that it's probably best to have the X-writers all talking to each other and working together and one person kind of being the showrunner. They seem to be replicating that with Spider-Man in the coming months, with Zeb Wells being the main writer but also having a team to write other comics.

But either way, Hickman's runs are usually pretty long, so I think we have at least a couple of years left for all of this before he's finished and we get a clean slate or this is the new status quo for mutants.

Though however the MCU deals with them might also have a say in what Marvel wants the status quo for the X-Men to be.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah, I can't seriously anticipate Inferno being THE END, but they sure are doing a good job of ratcheting up the tension. So much dread in these books lately, and such a smart, slow amping up of stakes and hairline fractures.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Hickman said in an interview around the time the first House/Powers books came out that his vision for the X-Men was a long story divided into phases where each phase could continue indefinitely while it was still generating interesting stories.

We're entering what seems to be the second or third phase after Inferno, depending on if you count Dawn of X and Reign of X as one or two phases, and I'm fully confident that Hickman will continuing running the line for a good while to come.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
He also said that he has a conclusion (or out, I think was his term) ready whenever. A Moira reset seems the obvious direction but also too obvious. It would be pretty brave if they did all of this to pull it off as an alternate or lost reality...

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Yeah I mean that’s sort of par for the course with X continuity. I’m honestly not sure how I’d feel about it, but if this whole Hickman era did end up being an closed out alternate timeline I’d probably be ok with that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I feel like since he's the cat wizard in charge of all the X books, that the ending to his X-Men saga will be a little bit more open ended than his other books. Let the kids have some stuff to chew on after he's gone. I can see people like Duggan and Howard wanting to move forward with what's left, instead of having editorial do a hard stop.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
rumors going around (where you'd expect) that Hickman is leaving the X-books for Substack after Inferno. we'll see

radlum
May 13, 2013
Tini Howard is collaborating with him on that substack thing, on some capacity. I don't know if that means anything for her current books, though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so are Al Ewing and Ram V and they just announced the new venom book and tbh tini doesn't have any more star power than either of them

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I can't imagine that every writer will go exclusive to them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They'll all go for a while, until it fails.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
Ewing and hickman leaving marvel would be a huge blow to that company imo

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ilikedirt posted:

absolutely, I only started reading HOX POX and the rest because of Hickman, I assume I am not alone

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ilikedirt posted:

I can’t imagine what kind of deal Hickman must be getting from substack. I mean he’s pretty much running the mutant side of things as an architect of a huge relaunch that has been met with tons of praise and marvel is seemingly happy to keep this thing going for as many years as it remains fun and popular. It’s such a huge sandbox to play with but then again I can also see the negative that you don’t really own anything that you make.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Yeah it’s crazy that marvel and dc haven’t done anything different since the Kirby days. I think some creators got sweetheart deals with a tiny piece of the ip, but maybe I’m wrong on that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Are they like putting comics on Substack now? I've only heard of it as a refuge for those who want to be paid for their opinions directly, and those who prefer this to the ad-supported model.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

Are they like putting comics on Substack now? I've only heard of it as a refuge for those who want to be paid for their opinions directly, and those who prefer this to the ad-supported model.

That's the idea. Substack is no longer just for transphobes!

radlum
May 13, 2013
I do wonder if there has been any substantial change in the whole "substack is a platform for transphobes"; I just saw that a lot of other creators are joining (including LGBT creators such as Tini, Tynion and Molly Ostertag) so I wonder what's going on.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Related to all of this: Skottie Young is apparently doing I Hate Fairyland for Substack, and also confirmed he will continue to work for Marvel, so that's at least one non-exclusive deal.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

radlum posted:

I do wonder if there has been any substantial change in the whole "substack is a platform for transphobes"; I just saw that a lot of other creators are joining (including LGBT creators such as Tini, Tynion and Molly Ostertag) so I wonder what's going on.
I imagine they are being paid money and may be applying the reasoning of "Well I post on Twitter and look at who they let on THAT site, this is just a platform".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

radlum posted:

molly at least openly acknowledges substack is a problematic platform and is apparently gonna use all the money she makes to donate to charity

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

It's a weird thing because yeah Substack is definitely where a lot of a certain substrata of "gender critical" idiots scurry off to, but Grace Lavery has been running her newsletter from the platform for awhile now and is certainly not the only prominent queer or trans essayist to do so (including her probably more high profile spouse, Danny Lavery formerly of The Toast).

That being said, that raises a good point. Everyone I know working in queer theory really likes Grace Lavery, but NOBODY I know working in queer theory likes her well enough to pay a monthly subscription to a newsletter. Regardless of the content being offered on the platform, from this very very teensy weensy miniscule little anecdotal sample size I've run into, it's an unappealing and awkward platform to actually look at and use.

Like-- I love Al Ewing, I like Tini Howards, Hickman I think sinks or swims depending on his collaborations, but it occurred to me that in all this hubbub it never once occurred to me that I might actually want to sign up and read their Substack comics, which I think has more to do with my pre-existing opinions about Substack as a useable platform than any kind of ethical or principled stance.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
as far as i can tell ewing doesn't have one, tini's is just a free blog, ram has his own website, they're all just collabing with hickman on his paid substack

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

which I think has more to do with my pre-existing opinions about Substack as a useable platform than any kind of ethical or principled stance.

I'm not entirely sure what format that any of these are even coming in, which seems like an important thing to promote?

When Panel Syndicate launched, they were very open about what the system was, how you could choose to read the books, etc. And I get that some of the freedom of what Hickman describes in playing with format might mean not wanting to commit to something but... I don't want to read a literal newsletter in my gmail inbox to get part of a story! That's not appealing to me!

I ranted a bit about it in the discord but... This feels a lot like the mid-2000s "webcomics are the future!" and the "multimedia experiences to 'enhance' movies/comics/novels" stuff. Maybe the ancillary stuff to the story you're telling that you want to put in a different format or whatever isn't important if it's, y'know, ancillary.

Maybe if the point here is more world-building-as-the-end-goal (something I think Hickman is particularly good at) this is a good format to experiment with. But I personally don't find myself chomping at the bit to discover what they have planned as an economic system when that email comes in.

ETA: The new email just came in as I pushed post!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm also a little confused as to how Substack are making money on these deals? Is it just off ad views?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
It seems like they got a ton of investor cash and are dumping it into exclusive deals. I really doubt they are cash flow positive at this point.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
That's how it always is, isn't it? Operate at a loss using investor money, get big and attract more investors, lather rinse repeat. Some services might manage to transition into something self-sustaining, but if you don't, hey at least you got a fat paycheck before the bubble burst.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, yes. I mean, is Twitter actually profitable yet?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

What's the saying, if you don't know the product a website is selling you're the product?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, the fact that the very first thing on Saladin Ahmed's Substack site is a field asking for your email with no real info as to why is major alarm bells in that regard.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbf every substack does that afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
I wish this issue of Children of the Atom had been released around the time of the Hellfire Gala. It wasn't a bad miniseries and since Vita is also writing New Mutants I wonder if we'll see Carmen as part of that ensemble.