Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dreylad posted:

Love You Forever :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFX6pdwJWpA

I feel like Robert Munsch is the Stephen King of kids books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Meanwhile I have to be constantly on guard as my oblivious but well-meaning parents shower my kid with books purchased based on cover art that launder all sorts of toxic poo poo.

Thanks for the segregation book, nana and pop-pop.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Oh god, our 5yo loves Enid Blyton. If you stick to Faraway Tree and Wishing Chair, it's mostly pretty safe.

Amelia Jane, the Naughty Doll is kinda funny (think what if Toy Story but Bottom), but needs a lot of footnotes about "punishing" people and how to resolve conflicts. Also a golliwog, but he's probably the nicest and most sensible character in the series, so not as problematic the ones in Noddy.

On the plus side, she doesn't copy our swearing anymore and says things like "crumbs" and "fiddlesticks" when she gets annoyed.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Love you Forever ain't bad but driving across town and climbing in your grown rear end son's window to hold him as he sleeps lol

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah every time I get to that page I'm grinning because I'm trying not to laugh at the mom driving across town with a ladder strapped to the top of her station wagon

Son of Thunderbeast has issued a correction as of 06:56 on Aug 10, 2021

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
when my 5 year old is trying to nicely ask for something, she now has a slight british accent, because she spent a week at grandma's who let her watch entirely too much Peppa Pig

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
for children's nighttime reading once they get a bit older, Terry Pratchett's Carpet People is loving awesome. "forearm? does that mean we get to carry twice as many swords?" had my 9 year old giggling all the way to way past bedtime.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

fosborb posted:

when my 5 year old is trying to nicely ask for something, she now has a slight british accent, because she spent a week at grandma's who let her watch entirely too much Peppa Pig

lmao, trying to imagine my kid speaking in that very propah enunciated accent they use and that'd be a trip

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

My kid consumes a lot of Peppa and Bluey, and has definitely picked up some accents. She has the Australian habit of replacing any vowel with every vowel.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Speaking of aussie kid stuff, thanks to the Wiggles I now end the alphabet song with "W, X, Y Zed or Zee"

Thanks to seeing so much Wiggles by now I can finally identify Australian accents and tell them apart from English ones :v:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
when my kid was watching some aussie show about the alphabet I had to tell her we don't say zed. There are some british/aussie shows in her lineup but she hasn't started telling people she's going on holiday and all of that stuff.

The netflix kids queue is dangerous. I can imagine if a parent is not careful/attentive the kid will blast through like 5 shows a week and be on their way to being an obsessive tv-iv poster(hopefully with better comprehension of the material though)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kids watch so much fuckn tv it's obscene.

the amount I mean. not the content.

though we were playing BOTW recently (screen break from the other screen don'tcha know) and when I unlocked one of the great fairies my son said "Ooooh she is pretty..."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my man likes a huge lady with giant tiddies it turns out.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah every time I get to that page I'm grinning because I'm trying not to laugh at the mom driving across town with a ladder strapped to the top of her station wagon

This is gonna be me.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Children's books are a loving jungle, a whole bunch of them are actively terrible, some just really reinforce gender roles (looking at you too Peppa pig), and of the few that are left, too many are terribly written. Especially once you get past three sentences per page stuff. I'm glad I'm Danish, because some of the Scandinavian classics are top notch. Pippi Longstocking is more or less "gently caress behaving properly, have fun, do fun poo poo" and Alfons Åberg gets a lot of props for being about a single dad and his kid.

If you can get your hands on anything by Jakob Martin Strid, do it, it's good poo poo. He used to be a radical anarchist before mellowing out too.

Lastly, we just got a new Danish book called Tonni2Tons, which is all about imagination. My favourite bit is when they're looking for the lost cigar case where the principal's imaginary dragon lived, and they find it in the lost and found bin of a cinema that's been turned into a supermarket. Among the other things found is "Socialdemokratiets principprogram", which is loosely translated the founding principles of the social democrats.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I think I might make a list of what i've have for young kids to read. I have had to weed out some that were just what you implied. Just all around bad. The stuff I have now I think is generally pretty good.

I bought a book written by the frog and toad guy called Fables and it's not too bad. Too much vanity in the stories though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm so tired.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah same.

hate getting up every day. hate going to bed. don't like the part in between.

seems bad.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Thoguh posted:

I'm so tired.

I started drinking coffee when my kid was born lol. at the 6 month mark I was up all night holding her reading a sleep training book and that was the beginning of sleep so hang in there we’re here to help.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Thoguh posted:

I'm so tired.

Me too dude - we just had a surprise appearance on Friday: three weeks early

I was planning on packing our hospital bag that weekend, luckily I'd figured out the car seat already

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Thoguh posted:

I'm so tired.

never fear, your body will get acclimated to getting no sleep over the course of several months

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

sonatinas posted:

I started drinking coffee when my kid was born lol. at the 6 month mark I was up all night holding her reading a sleep training book and that was the beginning of sleep so hang in there we’re here to help.

i had gone 2 years with no caffeine, and then my first child was born and i immediately became a coffee junkie

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I often forget that a lot of posting in this thread is parents of newborns and not just parents who still happen to exist.

Godspeed.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

this school year.

I am so tired

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
I am incredibly glad I have a nanny share with a buddy of mine instead of daycare.

And that I don't have to send my kiddo off to the covid mines, where he'd get it in record speed as his response to other people's distress is to crawl over and hug them. He's too nice for this world.

:smith:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I often forget that a lot of posting in this thread is parents of newborns and not just parents who still happen to exist.

Godspeed.

the first day we let our kid go downstairs on her own to operate the tv or whatever while we were still in bed was a glorious occasion

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my kids watch so much fuckn tv it's obscene.

the amount I mean. not the content.

:same:

but hey every now and then they play minecraft or roblox together so it's not like there's zero socializing going on. or at least this is what i say to comfort myself

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
We basically didn't allow our preK kids to watch TV regularly, but started doing an hour daily when COVID happened.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

sonatinas posted:

the first day we let our kid go downstairs on her own to operate the tv or whatever while we were still in bed was a glorious occasion

yeah that's everyday from 7-10 am which, honestly, is how I did my summers as a child so go hog wild.

I mean when I was a kid I did it home alone so at least I'm here to make you food and help clean your awful messes.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

U-DO Burger posted:

i had gone 2 years with no caffeine, and then my first child was born and i immediately became a coffee junkie

:same:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I highly recommend this book for small children:

https://www.bookdepository.com/Stor...53672794&sr=1-1

It has both animals AND poop and plenty opportunity for silly voices.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

I highly recommend this book for small children:

https://www.bookdepository.com/Stor...53672794&sr=1-1

It has both animals AND poop and plenty opportunity for silly voices.

It's a bit poo poo though. It's great, everyone should read it

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

sonatinas posted:

yeah the language explosion is really wild for you and then they will be 4.5 and start asking if they’re going to die and are you going to die…
lol currently happening with both my kids
one is screaming AIRPLANE! AMAZING! HELICOPTER! FAST!! MOON! MOON! MOON! while the other is asking me
so people built these buildings? a long time ago someone decided to make the city? so when you die, we can't talk anymore? so when i'm 99 years old you'll be how old?
i made an off the cuff carl sagan star stuff remark once, about how i'll become stardust when i die
so now the questions have become
dad when you die, when i'm 99 years old, you'll become a star right? i'll be able to look up to you then, but i can't talk to you because you'll be dead right?

it's wild, awesome, and amazing

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Thoguh posted:

I'm so tired.
lol owned

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

loving A Eric Carle

Heavy_D posted:

In my opinion The Very Hungry Caterpillar is one of the best books ever written. In its pages it teaches you
  • day and night
  • the sun and the moon
  • the days of the week
  • numbers from one to five
  • a basic vocabulary of food
and yet it makes all of that seem effortless, as if none of that were planned or forced. Yet more important is the overall message of the story to your child: you will change as you grow up but don't worry, because you'll become something beautiful. And I could go on, it's a biology lesson, baby's first bible allegory, the folly of greed, healthy eating...

What I'm saying is your toddler has good taste as well as keen link-making skills
It's an amazing work of art. Also there's a Japanese song/reading of the book that is great and it's essentially become a staple in early childhood education for Japanese & Japanese/American communities. I've witnessed some really cool craftwork and performances from schools, daycares, etc. based off the book & song. There was one recording but it's gone off youtube now, so instead I'll just share the link to the Japanese song itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6hbz7eojog
food banquet verse is great imo

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

U-DO Burger posted:

I actually just cut back on my caffeine intake, I was drinking like half a pot of coffee and several energy drinks a day. And just as soon as I get down to one cup of coffee a day both kids get sick and their sleep was horrible for almost 3 weeks and for five days I was sleeping on the floor in their room so whenever one would wake up I could just quickly comfort them and get them back down. At least I cut back enough that caffeine gives me energy again though.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My kid just turned 2 and has been very quiet for the most part. She spoke her first words a while ago, like around 15-16 months (mama & dada), but for the most part she's just said them like 2 or 3 times apiece and otherwise communicates nonverbally, either pointing at things or taking our hands and leading us to the location of whatever it is she wants at the time (snacks, pick-up, a toy she wants to play with together). We know she knows the words and understands a lot of stuff, but for whatever reason she just doesn't feel like actually saying anything.

Today she decided to climb into my lap for one of my work meetings. I put the headset on her, and as soon as I did she waved at my coworkers and said a very clear "Hi." Then she greeted her grandma with a "Hi." and when she left with grandma she gave us kisses and waved and said a very clear "Bye." :kimchi:

oh boy here we go, soon it's going to be nonstop questions and I can't wait lol

My eldest was the same but she also was having emotional problems/outbursts due to her lack of verbal communication. See if your state has birth to three services or something similar, it did wonders for my kid once they diagnosed her properly and it provides low cost speech therapy etc depending on what a kid needs.

It also helped my daughter get into a great preschool program by the town's special Ed department which has been even better for her. She now copies her mom's Jersey/sailor mouth quite well

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
So I'm normally a kinda lazy poo poo person in the mornings, but I decided to try and go on a stroller run with my kid this morning while it was merely hot, rather than Texas hot when the sun comes up. Kiddo was squealing with delight when I got him out of his stroller, as soon as he got out he rubbed his eyes as his "nap me" sign, I put him down for a nap and he's been chilling for a good hour and change.

I guess I'm going to become a morning run person now.

Coach baby.

Joey Steel has issued a correction as of 13:58 on Aug 11, 2021

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Now that we're stocking up on child sized masks lol my first grader is suddenly visibly and vocally nervous about returning to school

gently caress this loving world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

So, luckily, our elementary-aged kids are able to homeschool instead of working in the COVID mines.

Unluckily, our district chose Acellus instead of allocating enough resources for teachers to do live remote instruction.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90549530/the-extremely-weird-story-of-a-remote-learning-company-thats-making-parents-livid

quote:

A 2004 profile of Roger Billings, Acellus’s founder, said that he had left the Mormon Church years earlier in part because it abandoned polygamy. He then founded a new church whose former website referred to him as a “prophet,” and he set up a college through which he awarded himself a doctorate, according to a 1994 Los Angeles Times story.

https://www.edsurge.com/news/2020-09-10-schools-drop-acellus-learning-platform-over-glaring-offensive-content

quote:

**Post-victory Update (12/20):** Hawaii has decided to discontinue the Acellus program in public education, statewide. However, this petition remains visible as a resource for parents and educators still advocating for the removal of this program from their schools, districts and/or states. For our Department of Education's 140-page thorough Acellus Curriculum review, which includes examples of the lack of rigor, lack of alignment to standards and racist and sexist content which violates the rights of students, click here: HIDOE's Full Acellus Equity Review

Looking forward to finding poo poo like this:

Hawaii's rich founding history
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEctlv3DWi2/

Sweetie Lips

quote:

Another lesson involves an exchange between an animated bear, a duck and a pig. The pig is called “Sweetie Lips,” and the bear asks, “Where did you get that name?” Sweetie Lips, a female pig, visibly blushes and responds, “Don’t ask. We’re not even going there.”

Why the gently caress is this being used still