Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Thumposaurus posted:

This is for the first generation pacojet the pacojet 2 did all of this via the control panel which I'm assuming the ninja is also doing with its different programs.
If the ninja is doing anything at all like this then either it isn't in the documentation for the unit or I missed it.

Doom Rooster posted:

Do you have any links to videos/instructions for this? I’ve never heard this claim before and my pastry chef who has been begging for a Pacojet that we absolutely cannot afford would be very interested.
Here's the first google result, although this guy is freezing the ice cream base in sheets instead of in an ice cube tray, which I think I've seen more frequently in ice cream recipes. It's straightforward enough I never went looking for detailed video tutorials or anything.

This won't give you 100% what you get out of a pacojet, and certainly doesn't have the single button simplicity of doing it in a pacojet. But what you get out of it is absolutely ice cream, it's not kinda like ice cream, it's not a good ice cream replacement or anything like that. If anything, I want to say that the texture is better than I've gotten out of most (home) ice cream machines.

And like I said earlier, I'd like to see side-by-side comparisons with what the ninja thing makes. I'm willing to be convinced that it works better. Hell, I'd be delighted if it turns out they've figured out some way to make a pacojet-equivalent device for US$200. But based on my experience with their blenders versus higher-end blenders (like a Vitamix) I'm kinda skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I decided to go the steel wool route and started with #4. It utterly scratched the surface, so I followed with a course of barkeeper's friend and then a buff with #0 steel wool. It's not perfect, but at over 40 years old it never would be. I'm pretty happy with how shiney it looks!

Glad I didn't have to bring any caustic chemicals into the mix, that poo poo makes me nervous.

Looks great!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I agree looks good. Might want to do something to neutralize any remaining acid just to be on the safe side.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone have a good recommendation for an easy to clean container to microwave a single egg in the morning? I don't do this, but my gf does and I hate having to clean out the small metal containers she uses. It's for a quick egg sandwich before work. Thanks!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

GordonComstock posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for an easy to clean container to microwave a single egg in the morning? I don't do this, but my gf does and I hate having to clean out the small metal containers she uses. It's for a quick egg sandwich before work. Thanks!

Coffee mug

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GordonComstock posted:

Ramakin. If you have an air fryer, get her to preheat the thing with the ramakin in there, then butter it, drop an egg in, and 350F for like 5-6 min and you get a perfect egg that pops right out.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ball jar, 1/2 cup water, crack in egg, nuke 45 seconds then let it sit 1 minute for poached or 3 minutes to get more jammy. Strain if you have a dishwasher safe strainer, if you don't then add cold water up to the top then it's hand safe temperature.

Cooking inside water is the safest microwave technique to avoid rubber overcooked sadness.

If you're careful with the water amount it's very consistent! Tweak the 45 seconds to your particular microwave.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

captkirk posted:

Anyone have experience with induction top ranges like this? My house came with a kinda cheap electric range and I'm trying to find something worth replacing it with

https://www.build.com/product/summa...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yeah my parents have one. It's pretty cool - very easy to clean and a very quick transference of energy so you end up getting pots to boiling temp very fast etc. They're a little awkward at low temps since induction heat requires that they cycle being on and off, although I'm not sure how much the tech has improved over the last decade.

It's a bit of a pain going out and getting pots/pans that work on it, since induction only works with magnetic surfaces and it can often end up narrowing your scope. But otherwise its great.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Random question but do stainless steel(or any) microwave cavity surfaces get really hot after running? We finally installed a microwave and ours do. I never checked before on any other microwave over ever owned so I don't know if they all did this. Only reason I found out here is at downsized so I touched this one after reheating a meal...

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for responses, definitely going to try some of that.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

PageMaster posted:

Random question but do stainless steel(or any) microwave cavity surfaces get really hot after running? We finally installed a microwave and ours do. I never checked before on any other microwave over ever owned so I don't know if they all did this. Only reason I found out here is at downsized so I touched this one after reheating a meal...

If you run it for a long time or boil large amounts of water, then yeah the heat will conduct into the microwave surfaces.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Today I learned that Vitamixes shut down before burning themselves out. And they shut down for a very long time.

I was liquefying vegetables for a hot sauce mash when the blender slowed and completely stopped. It's a refurb I bought last month, so I thought I had totally killed it. Thankfully this page (https://joyofblending.com/vitamix-motor-heating/) allayed my fear.

I put the blender in the refrigerator for half an hour, and it still had not cooled down enough. I had to put it in the freezer for another half hour before it came down to room temp.

Counter-intuitively, Vitamixes run cooler at high speeds than at low speeds. That because a fan is attached directly to the motor and spins relative to the speed of the motor. Heavy duty work (like chopping veggies) at low speed taxes the motor too much.

So if your Vitamix dies, leave it alone for a bit, then use a higher speed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I *do* think refurbs trip the self kill mode more often than factory new ones tho

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

captkirk posted:

Anyone have experience with induction top ranges like this? My house came with a kinda cheap electric range and I'm trying to find something worth replacing it with

https://www.build.com/product/summa...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’m not familiar with North American brands but induction stove tops are pretty common in the EU. They are ok, a little slow to warm up compared to gas but arguably less of a fire risk since they automatically turn off if there isn’t something on the burner.

They won’t work with aluminum or copper. Most everything else should be fine.

I’d recommend getting one with analog controls. A lot of modern stove tops come with a touchscreen interface which kinda sucks since they don’t work right if you spill a tiny bit of water or sauce on them.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm finally tired of my non-stick frying pans coming apart every three months. Can I get recommendations for a solid stainless steel frying pan that'll last me a couple of years? The main thing I use my current frying pan to make is stir fry recipes and various types of pasta toppings that usually involve cooking a pound of some sort of meat then adding veggies and sauces.

On a similar topic, my trusty spaghetti noodle pot is reaching it's end of life after over two decades and I can't remember where I got it after so long so I need a replacement for it too.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 10, 2021

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

LLSix posted:

I'm finally tired of my non-stick frying pans coming apart every three months. Can I get recommendations for a solid stainless steel frying pan that'll last me a couple of years? The main thing I use my current frying pan to make is stir fry recipes and various types of pasta toppings that usually involve cooking a pound of some sort of meat then adding veggies and sauces.

On a similar topic, my trusty spaghetti noodle pot is reaching it's end of life after over two decades and I can't remember where I got it after so long so I need a replacement for it too.
I don't have a recommendation but just so you know: stainless steel is, like, the opposite of a non-stick pan. 70% of the time my food is sticking, whether it's meatballs or chicken or whatever. Eggs are the worst.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Vegetable posted:

I don't have a recommendation but just so you know: stainless steel is, like, the opposite of a non-stick pan. 70% of the time my food is sticking, whether it's meatballs or chicken or whatever. Eggs are the worst.

That's fine, my primary objective is to get a pan I don't have to replace 4 or more times a year. I guess I don't care if it's stainless steel as long as it is sturdy. If stuff sticks that's fine.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not a skilled cook, but I have been trying to improve over the years and going from non-stick to stainless steel has been night and day. I love cooking on stainless and things rarely stick. I do keep a small non-stick pan for eggs or anything else super delicate, though. It mostly just gets used for eggs.

Are you washing your pan between uses with soap and water and not seasoning them or something? I only use a scrub pad. Easy to clean, too. Just give it a pass when the pan is still hot, then another when it cools off washing it under hot water.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Vegetable posted:

I'm thinking of getting some stainless steel as well and I read that you can drop a bit of water on the pan and if it kinda turns into a ball and skates around it means your pan is ready and won't stick as bad. Does that actually work? I've been cooking on a cast iron again but I'm too lazy to deal with all the drying and oiling and it weighs a ton.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you're doing something wrong if you are going through 4 nonstick pans a year

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And if everything is sticking to your stainless pans, you're either burning your food (turn the heat down) or not using enough fat when you cook (use more fat, fatty).

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I've got 10 year old Calphalon pans that are still fine.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Carbon steel may be a worthwhile look. Get a good seasoning if you burn the heck out of everything

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And if everything is sticking to your stainless pans, you're either burning your food (turn the heat down) or not using enough fat when you cook (use more fat, fatty).

This is correct, also preheat the oil before you drop your food in the pan. Also protein can stick early but release once it's finished searing, so sometimes more time is all it needs

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

LLSix posted:

For stir fry, honestly get a carbon steel wok. It doesn’t need to be on a crazy high heat burner. For braises and sauces look at an all clad sauté pan, the one with vertical sides. Any tri-ply will do if you don’t want to pay all clad prices. You could also get a cast iron pan. Carbon steel is thinner cast iron and you should probably get cast iron instead unless you have a very strong, even burner since the carbon steel won’t store as much heat as cast iron and will have worse hot spots.

Alternatively you could learn to take care of your nonstick so it lasts longer. The teflon will always wear off eventually but you should get at least a couple years out of it. Don’t use metal tools in it, don’t use more than medium heat (you can’t really sear stuff in nonstick pans), don’t put it in the dishwasher or scrub aggressively. It’s good to have an extra pan or two to do the things nonstick can’t handle and stretch the wear out a bit, but you don’t have to get rid of nonstick entirely.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have one good nonstick pan that I intended to use only for eggs and other sticky things and to be very careful with so it would last me forever. Instead, my SO decided that the stainless steel pans were too much effort to not have things stick to and she uses that single nonstick pan for everything and abuses the gently caress out of it so I've come to terms with it not lasting an entire year. That's my story thanks for coming to my ted talk.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My secret is I'm the only one who cooks.

I actually bought a nice tramontina non stick a year ago and I've yet to even use it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I broke down and bought some Woll non stick pans (https://www.woll-cookware.com/en/products/diamond-lite-pro/) and they've been an absolute game changer. I take great care of them and I can't imagine them not lasting a very long time. I basically stopped using my stainless pans for most things.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've read that non-stick technology is pretty much all the same and you should just pay bottom-dollar and expect to have to just throw it out when it inevitably stops working.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still, if you're going through them every few months, that's a you problem. You're doing something wrong, probably using it over heat that's far too high and is causing the coating to delaminate.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

KillHour posted:

I have one good nonstick pan that I intended to use only for eggs and other sticky things and to be very careful with so it would last me forever. Instead, my SO decided that the stainless steel pans were too much effort to not have things stick to and she uses that single nonstick pan for everything and abuses the gently caress out of it so I've come to terms with it not lasting an entire year. That's my story thanks for coming to my ted talk.

I decided that all nonstick pans degrade, so I'd get the cheapest nonstick pan. It lasted like 3 months with basically eggs only. Everything else was cooked in other pans, and the coating was shot. Prior expensive nonstick pans seemed to last a year- 2 years before really being bad enough to throw out. You can't win

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Carbon steel, if well seasoned, is supposed to be pretty slick. More even than a well seasoned cast iron pan.

That said, I don’t have one. I have a couple of stainless steel all clads and they work really well for most things but I wouldn’t try to do over easy eggs in them.

If you want to develop a fond, which you often do, then SS is hard to beat.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i have a carbon steel omelet pan. i went through a pretty involved seasoning process, but now it cooks eggs very well and releases them easily. I can't use like a pam spray amount of oil, i need more than that, but its very good

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I really like carbon steel for a little egg pan (as well as for woks). It gets non-stick enough to get the hockey puck effect if you use oil (please oil your eggs) and if you're using a circular burner any of the hotspots are going to be on the outside, away from the yolk, so you can even it out by spinning the egg. Compared to cast iron, the big thing for me is that you can get it smoother for cheaper unless you're willing to sand it yourself.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I noticed that a lot of youtube cooks use giant wooden cutting boards for their prep. I have a couple of decent size ones but I stopped using them because they don't really fit in the sink. How do people keep these things clean? I do most of my prep on plastic boards now, are the big wooden blocks just for show?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If there was only minor mess I just use a rag. For more messy mess I usually use a plastic cutting board and use the big guy as a staging / mise area. If I really want the cutting room of the big guy for messy stuff I just wrestle it to the sink and use the spray wand and tilt it so it drains in

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I clean my cutting board by wiping up all the garbage with a paper towel and then using vinegar and a clean hand towel to wipe it down. Sometimes I'll also make a really thick paste out of salt and a little water and use the abraision to scrub the surface. A quick rinse and dry and it's good after that - no sink necessary.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

prom candy posted:

I noticed that a lot of youtube cooks use giant wooden cutting boards for their prep. I have a couple of decent size ones but I stopped using them because they don't really fit in the sink. How do people keep these things clean? I do most of my prep on plastic boards now, are the big wooden blocks just for show?

I imagine it makes for better visuals, is the main reason.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Acinonyx posted:

I've got a vitamix mayo making attachment

I can’t help but notice that nobody has clarified what the gently caress this is yet or posted a link to it, and google didn’t help me.

What is this Vitamix Mayo Making Attachment? That sounds very much like a thing I want to buy right drat now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

I. M. Gei posted:

What is this Vitamix Mayo Making Attachment? That sounds very much like a thing I want to buy right drat now.

Get an immersion blender: "Two-Minute Mayonnaise Recipe" https://www.seriouseats.com/two-minute-mayonnaise