Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ikanreed posted:

This is the Nazi sympathizer who owns Twitter, fyi

also his avatar looks like a starving person because he believes being on a sub 2000 cal diet makes his brain into a glaxy brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Armitage_Shanks posted:

It'll be like the end of The Wicker Man with all the coiners hand in hand singing as the no coiners burn.. but instead of a giant wicker man it is the planet

:discourse:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Sashimi posted:

Crypto is like a dumb corollary to Occam's razor.

Occam’s Butter Knife

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

DerekSmartymans posted:

Occam’s Buttcoin Knife

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

PhazonLink posted:

also his avatar looks like a starving person because he believes being on a sub 2000 cal diet makes his brain into a glaxy brain.

There's a growing body evidence pointing toward some degree of calorie restriction being beneficial for longevity, but based on his tweets that clearly doesn't extend to brain function.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Armitage_Shanks posted:

It'll be like the end of The Wicker Man with all the coiners hand in hand singing as the no coiners burn.. but instead of a giant wicker man it is the planet

Like Wicker Man only they are burning themselves alive singing, "we're not owned, you're so owned."
r

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1425116565670858757

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Reset the exit scam clock.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

we're going to find out they left their privkey in a github commit, aren't we?

also lol that this news doesn't affect prices in the slightest. definitely very normal for a market to not respond to hackers stealing 600 million.. its fine.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Not 'stolen', 'captain of industried'.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Is $600 million or "$600 million (please don't actually try to spend it)"?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Random Stranger posted:

The version with quotes of course, which is like universally applicable here

Worth "600 million"

"quick"

"anonymous"

"stable" "coin"

"no" "fees"

"kill your father Ron Paul 2024"

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Random Stranger posted:

I hope they do and crash the whole market.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

In other news that's good for bitcoin: BitMEX reaches $100 million settlement with the CFTC and FinCEN regarding illegal trading of derivatives and violation of anti-money laundering rules. This only resolves the feds' claims against BitMEX the company, as the company's three founders continue to face criminal charges in a separate case.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Why is SA fighting with the falcon guy who makes fun of Bitcoin?

https://mobile.twitter.com/FalconryFinance/status/1425154565444308996

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CSPAM drama in a thread that moves 50 pages per day, good luck if you wanna try digging through it

Rubby posted:

Soooo.... update on this. Apparently that UAE Falcon guy on twitter who swiped my earlier post for twitter clout wasn't satisfied leaving it there. He reported my design to Teepublic as his own and is now looking for a place to get it screen printed for his followers

https://twitter.com/FalconryFinance/status/1424770758107037704?s=20

What an rear end in a top hat

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

In other news that's good for bitcoin: BitMEX reaches $100 million settlement with the CFTC and FinCEN regarding illegal trading of derivatives and violation of anti-money laundering rules. This only resolves the feds' claims against BitMEX the company, as the company's three founders continue to face criminal charges in a separate case.

Heh, sounds like BitMEX did the old "we block US IPs, therefore we block US persons" thing that fairly obviously wasnt going to fool anyone. The wheels of justice grind slow, but I suspect quite a few other exchanges are going to get hit with similar fines eventually.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
untraceable huh?

bitch how many proxies is he behind?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

drat sounds like they had an open relationlship with your keys

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Ccs posted:

Why is SA fighting with the falcon guy who makes fun of Bitcoin?

https://mobile.twitter.com/FalconryFinance/status/1425154565444308996

He claimed he was using a goon's covid graphic for personal use then sold it as a t-shirt for the general public and filled a DMCA takedown on the original artist so they can't even use their own design. So it's not stealing as in piracy, it's stealing as in not even letting the creator use their own graphic. He fully admitted to this and acted like a huge rear end in a top hat in deleted but screen captured posts.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

He claimed he was using a goon's covid graphic for personal use then sold it as a t-shirt for the general public and filled a DMCA takedown on the original artist so they can't even use their own design. So it's not stealing as in piracy, it's stealing as in not even letting the creator use their own graphic. He fully admitted to this and acted like a huge rear end in a top hat in deleted but screen captured posts.

Hmm sounds like he sucks

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1421148499685564416?s=20

This guy is why we can't have nice things.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That is the dumbest tragedy of the commons scenario waiting to happen.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Strong Sauce posted:

we're going to find out they left their privkey in a github commit, aren't we?

also lol that this news doesn't affect prices in the slightest. definitely very normal for a market to not respond to hackers stealing 600 million.. its fine.

Why would it? Crypto is a huge market, 600 mill is nothing lol.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

This guy is why we can't have nice things.

quote:

Abada says his mini miner generates 0.0002478 bitcoin per month, minus a 5% mining pool fee. At today’s prices, that’s worth $9.35. Because he’s mining in Los Angeles, where the cost of electricity is 22 cents per kilowatt hour, if he runs his rig 24 hours a day, he pays $15.84 in total electricity cost.

So Abada actually ends the month in the red to the tune of roughly $5.88.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Minus significantly more than that thanks to needing to ammortize the cost of the mining rig. :v:

He's significantly in the red even with 'free' power.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
ah, but *plus* significantly more than that because someday a single bitcoin will be worth billions

[THIS IS WHAT COINERS ACTUALLY BELIEVE]

this dumb argument used to come up loving constantly in the stupid old butterfly labs days of like 2013 or something

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Ad by Khad posted:

ah, but *plus* significantly more than that because someday a single bitcoin will be worth billions

[THIS IS WHAT COINERS ACTUALLY BELIEVE]

this dumb argument used to come up loving constantly in the stupid old butterfly labs days of like 2013 or something

Even if you accept that premise, it would still make more sense to take the money you would have spent on a miner and just buy bitcoin instead.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7ejxx/dear-hacker-crypto-platform-begs-for-money-back-after-losing-dollar600m

Who needs regulation and consumer protection when you can just cry and beg for your money back like a toddler

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
invisible tears of the free market

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Illuminti posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7ejxx/dear-hacker-crypto-platform-begs-for-money-back-after-losing-dollar600m

Who needs regulation and consumer protection when you can just cry and beg for your money back like a toddler

That only works for the already super rich.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
It would be a pretty dope move to take the money and bribe the network/distribute it to so many people that prosecution would be impossible (if taking fake money is even a crime)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LordArgh posted:

Even if you accept that premise, it would still make more sense to take the money you would have spent on a miner and just buy bitcoin instead.
I think you had the twin channels of, first, I will be a technical expert and show that off by making a rig, and second, I own a thing and it is producing money for me.

The latter is WAY more appealing to certain ways of thinking than just "I own an asset."

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mercury_Storm posted:

The version with quotes of course, which is like universally applicable here

Worth "600 million"

"quick"

"anonymous"

"stable" "coin"

"no" "fees"

"kill your father Ron Paul 2024"

“value” :lol:

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
lol the dinky usb fan that probably lowers temps by like 2°C

wanna spill a coffee on that

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

How can this kind of poo poo happen in 2021? I understand that you would want or even need their WiFi; but hooking up a miner in someone’s public utilities is just insane (we used to drive 35 minutes to use McDonalds or Starbucks connection. My household had dial-up (28.8K on copper phone lines with 56.6K modem) even when we finally got 1st-Gen satellite internet because of limits and subsequent throttling. We still don’t have cable lines (much less fiber, although fiber lines terminate a 1/2mile down the road at the Mississippi state line), but at least we have usable WiFi now.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Those USB miners probably use like 10W each or something. No one working a lovely retail job for a huge corporation is going to care enough to kick him out. Hell, its far more likely that he'd get kicked out for hanging out all day and not shutting up about bitcoin.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

drk posted:

Hell, its far more likely that he'd get kicked out for hanging out all day and not shutting up about bitcoin.

This is probably more likely; You are correct, sir!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/currencies/coinbase-retracts-promise-that-stablecoin-backed-by-us-dollar-2021-8

quote:

Coinbase removed a promise from its website that helped a stablecoin amass $28 billion in assets, Bloomberg first reported on Wednesday.
USD Coin, operated by Circle Internet Financial and offered on Coinbase's platform, had claimed that every coin was backed by one US dollar that was "in a bank account."

Crypto exchanges are ponzi schemes.

All of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
Hey now, all they did was remove a promise. It could still be true!